• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. L.

Cataferal said:
Could I play Persona 4 (NTSC) on this setup?

-Intel Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
-9800GTX
-WIndows 7 64bit
-1920x1200 monitor

If so, which SVN/Build is currently the most reliable?

I've been out of the loop for two years. Last time I checked, my PC could play FFXII with minor glitches and major cases of stuttering at my full resolution.
could run fine, but your cpu will be the bottleneck
the SVNs, aside from a few occasions are usually pretty solid, just get the latest.

Talking of SVN, here is todays build 0.9.7.3833
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1159887/pcsx2_0.9.7.3833_SVN-SSE4.rar
SSE4 only

Zenith

Banned
Black and Mercenaries get ingame now with the new official beta. Without Warning has gone from nothing to running without any glitches.

Hey S.L. thanks for the builds you are always posting! Makes it so much easier to keep up to date. However, I have a question: Where can I find the most recent SSE2 plugins? I every month or so I download whatever your latest upload is, however I don't have a processor that supports SSE4 so I have to stick to SSE2.

Yasae

Banned
B.K. said:
Nice, but the extended cutscenes are still bugged unless you switch back to native res. That's about the only problem I have with Ep. 3. Otherwise it's a great looking late generation PS2 game.

It also has trouble with certain filters - for example, the opening scene of Kevin's escape as a boy drops into the single digits framerate-wise. This is the same problem from Ep.1, namely the story behind Commander Cherenkov's troubles - they play out on the black and white beach. It again drops to 15 FPS or lower during these scenes.

Some of these mishaps can avoided by switching to software rendering with F9. This completely solves the FFX FMV problem and gets better (though not always good) framerate averages with certain transparencies, filters, or overlays like those used in the Xenosaga games. You don't even lose fidelity in the case of prerecorded FMVs.

I'll be sure to attach some screens later on to get my point across.

This supports running right off the disc right? It gives me an error that root of iso directory can't be found and then the program crashes. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Clevinger

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
This supports running right off the disc right? It gives me an error that root of iso directory can't be found and then the program crashes. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

You can, but I believe it's (a lot?) slower than ripping it and running it from your hard drive. I'd try that.

jediyoshi

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Make sure you have Plugin selected under the CDVD menu and then under Config -> Plugin/BIOS Selector hit the Configure button next to the CDVD dropdown menu and select the drive letter.

Not too sure about troubleshooting anything beyond that though.

I have it selected but it's apparently wonky from looking around. I ripped it and now it works perfectly. Is there a way to cap framerate? Megaman at 60fps feels too fast.

Edit: 30 is like slideshow... So odd...

Clevinger

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I have it selected but it's apparently wonky from looking around. I ripped it and now it works perfectly. Is there a way to cap framerate? Megaman at 60fps feels too fast.

emulation settings -> GS

But I think it's defaulted at 60 fps.

The FPS shown is not the FPS of the game, it is the FPS of the emulator. If it is 60 (or 50 for PAL) then it is running at full speed. Ex: If you played Shadow of the Colossus and the emu said you were running 60 FPS, SotC is still running at whatever FPS is normally does on a real PS2.

I can't get Devil May Cry 1 to run well for some odd reason.. and my PC should be more than capable... by far. It runs at like 42fps with some weird video glitches.

DarknessTear said:
I can't get Devil May Cry 1 to run well for some odd reason.. and my PC should be more than capable... by far. It runs at like 42fps with some weird video glitches.

IDK if DMC is just a hard to emulate game, but I also couldn't play it well on my PC (on which I played many other games and am right now going through KH2 in 1920x1080 w/ super sampling and having no problem).

AdawgDaFAB said:
The FPS shown is not the FPS of the game, it is the FPS of the emulator. If it is 60 (or 50 for PAL) then it is running at full speed. Ex: If you played Shadow of the Colossus and the emu said you were running 60 FPS, SotC is still running at whatever FPS is normally does on a real PS2.

Ah, interesting. That would explain why it was a slideshow at 30fps. Didn't think that's how it worked. There's no way to improve in game framerate for something like SotC with the emulator?

Clevinger

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, interesting. That would explain why it was a slideshow at 30fps. Didn't think that's how it worked. There's no way to improve in game framerate for something like SotC with the emulator?

Mess with the speedhacks. First the ones that are recommended, then try increasing the first slider by one, then the second slider by one, and keep experimenting until it improves.

Zenith

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
IDK if DMC is just a hard to emulate game, but I also couldn't play it well on my PC (on which I played many other games and am right now going through KH2 in 1920x1080 w/ super sampling and having no problem).

I got it at 60 fps with standard settings on an old emulator. With the latest betas all my games seem to have lost 10fps.

xemumanic

spons said:
New official beta out.

Just came on to mention that.

http://www.pcsx2.net

Quote:

Hey people,
today we make the second 0.9.7 beta release available: PCSX2 0.9.7 (r3878)!

The 0.9.7 series is marked as unstable/beta, meaning it still has some known bugs
and unimplemented features but it is fully supported by the PCSX2 team.
We've spent the last months on various aspects of the emulator, adding to the awesome progress seen in beta 1.
This release has been compiled with extensive optimizations, so you can expect a small speedup over r3113 Smile

Here's some of the changes:

* Gui work: threading, layout and stability have been improved.
* Some of the reported .ini writing issues should be fixed now.
* Game database: bug fixes, more entries, compatibility hints for pcsx2.
* Automated patching enabled now: known fixes/settings for some games can be enabled automatically.
* Emulation fixes to microVU.
* VIF/GIF work: Slightly faster and more compatible.
* Much work on GIFPath ordering issues. many games with previously flickering textures should work better.
* IPU retooled and optimized: A bit faster, a bit more compatible and much more sane (no more coroutines).
* Removed hazardous MMX/XMMregister freeze/restore. Speedup and stability is improved.
* Savestates are now free of memory leaks.
* Disk swapping works on a few games now (not all yet though).
* New "fast CDVD" speedhack. Load levels as fast as possible!
* Console logging is now configurable to be as verbose as in developer builds.
* Commandline support.
* A lot of other small tweaks and additions.

Good for those of us who wanted to try a newer build, but don't have a CPU with SSE4.

Here's a 7z for those of you who don't want an installer.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
xemumanic said:
Just came on to mention that.

http://www.pcsx2.net

Quote:

Hey people,
today we make the second 0.9.7 beta release available: PCSX2 0.9.7 (r3878)!

The 0.9.7 series is marked as unstable/beta, meaning it still has some known bugs
and unimplemented features but it is fully supported by the PCSX2 team.
We've spent the last months on various aspects of the emulator, adding to the awesome progress seen in beta 1.
This release has been compiled with extensive optimizations, so you can expect a small speedup over r3113 Smile

Here's some of the changes:

* Gui work: threading, layout and stability have been improved.
* Some of the reported .ini writing issues should be fixed now.
* Game database: bug fixes, more entries, compatibility hints for pcsx2.
* Automated patching enabled now: known fixes/settings for some games can be enabled automatically.
* Emulation fixes to microVU.
* VIF/GIF work: Slightly faster and more compatible.
* Much work on GIFPath ordering issues. many games with previously flickering textures should work better.
* IPU retooled and optimized: A bit faster, a bit more compatible and much more sane (no more coroutines).
* Removed hazardous MMX/XMMregister freeze/restore. Speedup and stability is improved.
* Savestates are now free of memory leaks.
* Disk swapping works on a few games now (not all yet though).
* New "fast CDVD" speedhack. Load levels as fast as possible!
* Console logging is now configurable to be as verbose as in developer builds.
* Commandline support.
* A lot of other small tweaks and additions.

Good for those of us who wanted to try a newer build, but don't have a CPU with SSE4.

Here's a 7z for those of you who don't want an installer.

Thanks for the heads up xemumanic. xemumanic, did you know that the Japanese version of OutRun 2 SP runs in PCSX2 but has very bad and messed up graphics? Th speed of the game is very good and smooth. But dang, if they could only fix the nasty graphics. I'd be in heaven if I could play this with my wheel and with true ffb!

xemumanic

isamu said:
Thanks for the heads up xemumanic. xemumanic, did you know that the Japanese version of OutRun 2 SP runs in PCSX2 but has very bad and messed up graphics? Th speed of the game is very good and smooth. But dang, if they could only fix the nasty graphics. I'd be in heaven if I could play this with my wheel and with true ffb!

Yeah, I read that.....from a post you made. :D That's how I knew.

I never considered the PS2 version an option when I already had the Xbox version. But is it only the Japanese version? But why even go through all this, whats wrong with the PC version (other than the now dead online play)?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
xemumanic said:
Yeah, I read that.....from a post you made. :D That's how I knew.

I never considered the PS2 version an option when I already had the Xbox version. But is it only the Japanese version? But why even go through all this, whats wrong with the PC version (other than the now dead online play)?
If you have a gamepad or 360 controller then the PC version is OK. Not too shabby at all.

But of you have a steering wheel, well, good luck getting the game to jive with it properly. :lol:

I explained this in detail in the gamefaqs thread.

B.K.

Brannon said:
Will PCSX play Global Defence Force Euro version? Because if it does, I'm ordering it right the fuck now.

It should. You'd likely just need the BIOS of a European PS2.

Downloaded the 9.7 build with latest bios, and dusted off my copy of okami to try this whole emulation thing.

WOW.

I will post pics later today-but I am seriously impressed by this!

Sooooo happy I kept all my ps2 games.

Brannon

After some time, I was able to import Global Defence Force from the UK. And after some tweaking, all I can say is...

This game. Oh god.

I love it too much.

Eiji

Brannon said:
After some time, I was able to import Global Defence Force from the UK. And after some tweaking, all I can say is...

This game. Oh god.

I love it too much.

It tramples EDF2017.

Max

I am not Max
Spent the last 2 hours or so looking for beer and ladies underwear :lol I must be missing something.

2j5f1vp.jpg

2zthppy.jpg

1920x1080 internal res looks so much better than native. <3 PCSX2.

SOLDIER

So will Rule of Rose's FMV finally work with this new beta?

Also, did someone come up with a method for copying saves from a PS2 memory card and reading them from the emulator?

Max

I am not Max
hosannainexcelsis said:
Go to Don Quijote.

And yeah, Yakuza 2 looks great in PCSX2.
Thanks. I probably had a full inventory when I checked there so the menu didn't pop up and I didn't bother to remove something and check again because I didn't think to find alcohol and womens underwear in what looks to be a toy store :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Do Cave games work with pcsx2? Is there a specific plug-in/build?
I have: Espgaluda, Ibara, DoDonPachi Daioujou and Mushihime-sama.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Dash Kappei said:
Do Cave games work with pcsx2? Is there a specific plug-in/build?
I have: Espgaluda, Ibara, DoDonPachi Daioujou and Mushihime-sama.

DOJ and Espgaluda have worked perfectly on pretty much every build I've tried. Ibara and Mushi not so much. You might have better luck but I've had a difficult time getting them to run fullspeed on any scaling mode that would be worth playing over just using my actual ps2.

Zenith

Banned
Brannon said:

This game. Oh god.

I love it too much.

your copy works with pcsx2?

S. L.

SOLDIER said:
So will Rule of Rose's FMV finally work with this new beta?

Also, did someone come up with a method for copying saves from a PS2 memory card and reading them from the emulator?
you need one of those ActionReplay/whatever they are called Discs that allow you to copy gamesaves on an USB stick

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
luka said:
DOJ and Espgaluda have worked perfectly on pretty much every build I've tried. Ibara and Mushi not so much. You might have better luck but I've had a difficult time getting them to run fullspeed on any scaling mode that would be worth playing over just using my actual ps2.

Thanks!
Even running Mushi and Ibara at original rez would be ideal for me over using my PS2, since the 'ole Play2 it's actually connected to a different system set-up.

SOLDIER

S. L. said:
you need one of those ActionReplay/whatever they are called Discs that allow you to copy gamesaves on an USB stick

I happen to have this.

I'm just wondering what I need to convert the save to (from the USB stick) so it can be read by the emulator.

Amir0x

Banned
Man since I finally got a great PC... yesterday I decided to finally start ripping my PS2 games and trying to emulate them and

HOLY SHIT

The first console manufacturer that provides stable in-house emulation to enhance games the way my PC does will have my heart and soul on their end too :lol

60fps all PS2 games with super high-res and hardware enforced 16x AA where possible :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Amir0x said:
Man since I finally got a great PC... yesterday I decided to finally start ripping my PS2 games and trying to emulate them and

HOLY SHIT

The first console manufacturer that provides stable in-house emulation to enhance games the way my PC does will have my heart and soul on their end too :lol

60fps all PS2 games with super high-res and hardware enforced 16x AA where possible :lol
My man

Now elevate your opinion on FFXII even more, and sob for the future even more :D

Red

Amir0x said:

HOLY SHIT

It's pretty good, isn't it? Try GC/Wii next.

Don't forget PSX emulation, either.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't play PSOne games, even emulated and enhanced. Too ugly. I used to be able to emulate PSOne games even on my old rig

I stick to 2D only PSOne/N64 titles

Brannon

Zenith said:
your copy works with pcsx2?

It does, with the latest version of pcsx2 and the speedhacks enabled

Enable speedhacks
EE Cyclerate = 2
VU Cycle Stealing = 2

-other hacks-
Enable INTC Spin Detection checked
Enable Wait Loop Detection checked

-microVU hacks-
mVU Flag Hack checked
mVU Block Hack checked

Yasae

Banned
Amir0x said:
I can't play PSOne games, even emulated and enhanced. Too ugly. I used to be able to emulate PSOne games even on my old rig

I stick to 2D only PSOne/N64 titles
Spoiled rotten. If only we could dig up HD assets one day.

Smo21

Wow Yakuza 2 looks crazy good(or is my memory turrible). How many other games actually benefit visually when being emulated?

FoxSpirit

Smo21 said:
Wow Yakuza 2 looks crazy good. How many other games actually benefit visually when being emulated?

Too many to count. Okami looks stunning in HD. WindWaker on the GameCube. Final Fantasy XII. Just the most prominent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom