• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
badcrumble said:
Ami, what specs are you running, out of curiosity?

i7 930 overclocked to 4.2ghz (water cooled), 6GB RAM (6 more gigs incoming woo!), 2GB HD Radeon 5870, 1TB Harddrive for storage, 120GB SSD for Windows 7, GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard, etc

Amir0x said:
i7 930 overclocked to 4.2ghz (water cooled), 6GB RAM (6 more gigs incoming woo!), 2GB HD Radeon 5870, 1TB Harddrive for storage, 120GB SSD for Windows 7, GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard, etc

What type of water cooling system are you using? Was thinking about OC'ing a quad to about 4.0GHZ as well and trying to find a good system that won't clog on me like my last Kingston.

Zep

Banned
Ridiculous that The Warriors costs $17 but seeing the movie makes me wanna play this again. Hopefully it runs good.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thanks to the "ask a stupid question" thread, I found this one. But I still have questions, as in I have the game, I DL'd the emulator, but apparently I need something that is illegal to have to make the two work together?

This isn't a stealth HOW DO I PIRATE or anything, I'm just trying to figure out how to play my own PS2 games. Any help and/or info on that front would be appreciated.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You have to get a BIOS file to get it to run. That is a grey area in which case you can't ask GAF.

Does anyone know if it's possible to the emulator to load .psv/Sony's PS3 PSX/PS2 virtual memory card file format? I could sue the emulator for some Gamesharking a few games that I've been playing on my PS3, but those saves are .psv and it seems I'd have to restart on the emulator, which isn't what I want.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Been long time since I read this thread. Anyone know how ZOE2 and persona 3 run? Last time I tried Persona 3 is like 2/3 frame rate with some graphic error.

Ceebs

WanderingWind said:
Thanks to the "ask a stupid question" thread, I found this one. But I still have questions, as in I have the game, I DL'd the emulator, but apparently I need something that is illegal to have to make the two work together?

This isn't a stealth HOW DO I PIRATE or anything, I'm just trying to figure out how to play my own PS2 games. Any help and/or info on that front would be appreciated.

If you have a modded PS2 or a way to run homebrew:

http://forums.ngemu.com/pcsx2-forum/84994-guide-dump-bios-through-usb.html

You can also dump via LAN but you need a way to boot a CD-R with your PS2 as well.

kiunchbb said:
Been long time since I read this thread. Anyone know how ZOE2 and persona 3 run? Last time I tried Persona 3 is like 2/3 frame rate with some graphic error.
Persona 3 and 4 both run fine. If you are getting frame rate issues your PC's power may not be up to snuff. There are also some fixes for the graphical errors in those games as well.

kiunchbb said:

I haven't tried Persona 3 on the emulator, but I can run Persona 4 at 60FPS no problem (I imagine they would run similarly, but I could be wrong).

ZOE2 on the other hand, usually averages around 45 FPS for me. I haven't figured out good settings to run it well enough yet.

thundr51

Ok, so I finished puttin together a fairly decent pc (need more ram) and I downloaded build r3878. I managed to get FF12 running in window and get my old ps3 controller working but now I'm ready to get some of the great shots you guys are getting. Is there some settings/plugins that I should be using as a default?

Here's my build
Phenom II X4 3.1Ghz
2GB Ram (expecting 2 more soon)
Geforce 9600

BentMyWookiee said:
I haven't tried Persona 3 on the emulator, but I can run Persona 4 at 60FPS no problem (I imagine they would run similarly, but I could be wrong).

ZOE2 on the other hand, usually averages around 45 FPS for me. I haven't figured out good settings to run it well enough yet.
Both P3 and P4 run perfectly.

Mr_Brit

Banned
thundr51 said:
Ok, so I finished puttin together a fairly decent pc (need more ram) and I downloaded build r3878. I managed to get FF12 running in window and get my old ps3 controller working but now I'm ready to get some of the great shots you guys are getting. Is there some settings/plugins that I should be using as a default?

Here's my build
Phenom II X4 3.1Ghz
Geforce 9600
That CPU will hold you back in some of the more demanding titles, OC it to 4GHZ and you'll be fine.

S. L.

thundr51 said:

Here's my build
Phenom II X4 3.1Ghz
Geforce 9600
your graphic card will hold you back as far as high res emulation goes. native res and 2x for most titles should be fine thou. also generally your cpu could be a bottleneck on some titles. the extra ram won't do anything.

thundr51

Mr_Brit said:
That CPU will hold you back in some of the more demanding titles, OC it to 4GHZ and you'll be fine.

That shouldn't be a problem. I picked up a fairly beefy cooler for that reason.

Edit: So far it seems that I can get up to 3x scaling at 1600 x 900 and it looks much better. I tried changing the aspect ratio and things went south fast..

cryptic

Can someone tell me what settings I should apply for best graphics and what graphics plugin I should use on a Windows 7 64 bit system with 4gb of RAM,ati 5770, phenom 2 x4 965? Thanks.

NIN90

Is there a real noob guide available for this?
Sure there is a huge guide on the official site but it's so fucking overwhelming and it just goes on what plugins are available and what they can do and what they can't do and what not.

S. L.

the plugin stuff is really dated and more relevant for ooooold versions. with recent builds just use the default plugins and all is good.

Nif

Do P3 and P4 really run perfectly? Last time I tried there were a lot of issues, mostly slowdown at random points.

Which settings do you recommend?

Nif said:
Do P3 and P4 really run perfectly? Last time I tried there were a lot of issues, mostly slowdown at random points.

Which settings do you recommend?
They both ran perfectly for me (Q6600 and 8800 Ultra) and I didn't really have to do anything special with graphics settings and what not.

Dascu

Hmm, I'm having a nasty little issue with Devil May Cry 3. There's a filter/shadowing bug. It's not always there and it's usually not present in cutscenes.

V2lx7.png

I assume it has something to do with my graphics plugin. I'm using GSdx r3068 0.1.16, Direct3D 10/11 Hardware mode.

FoxSpirit

onken said:
There's a fairly decent PC version of DMC3SE so they're probably not working too hard on fixes.

Funnily enough, the port uses the prerecorded cutscenes of the PS2 version, the result being that the cutscenes look worse than the ingame graphics :-(

clashfan

I'm running Pentium D 3GHz with Nvidia 9400. I'm getting sub 30fps. Anyway to improve performance? I'm running the 0.9.7 beta version.

DieH@rd

Banned
clashfan said:
I'm running Pentium D 3GHz with Nvidia 9400. I'm getting sub 30fps. Anyway to improve performance? I'm running the 0.9.7 beta version.

PCSX2 is optimized for dualcore processors.

S. L.

clashfan said:
yeah, get a new pc!

well the cpu definitely is a bottleneck. if you can and want, overclocking it will probably give quite a bit of a boost. or if your board allows it upgrade to a core2duo cpu in the 3ghz range (pentium D had the same socket, right?)

the graphic card probably won't allow anything above native resolution (not sure if it might even choke there)

generally a Core2Duo 3Ghz+ and a Geforce 8600/9600+ will allow you to run most games fine.

clashfan

S. L. said:
yeah, get a new pc!

well the cpu definitely is a bottleneck. if you can and want, overclocking it will probably give quite a bit of a boost. or if your board allows it upgrade to a core2duo cpu in the 3ghz range (pentium D had the same socket, right?)

the graphic card probably won't allow anything above native resolution (not sure if it might even choke there)

generally a Core2Duo 3Ghz+ and a Geforce 8600/9600+ will allow you to run most games fine.

I'm alittle shocked it takes such a powerful pc to do ps2 emulation.

Amir0x said:
Ok, I'll just get a ps2

Clevinger

sonikokaruto said:
Ok, I'll just get a ps2

Most of that stuff is (extremely) overkill for emulation. A dual core or quad core at 3.6 or 3.7 and a half-decent video card will handle any PS2 emulation you throw at it. Any slowdowns would be the fault of PCSX2 not being completely optimized and will be fixed in time.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Clevinger said:
Most of that stuff is (extremely) overkill for emulation. A dual core or quad core at 3.6 or 3.7 and a half-decent video card will handle any PS2 emulation you throw at it....

GT4 and Ridge Racer V say hi :)

squall211

At the risk of sounding silly I have a question:

If I play a game using the emulator, is there any way to transfer that save onto a physical memory card?

IrishNinja

pardon if this'd been answered, didn't find so on a quick glance:

1) i've a (currently) stock i5-670, ATI 6870, 4GB DDR3. should i expect trouble running Persona 4, SMT: Nocturne, Yakuza 1 & 2, ZOE2, Godhand, or a few like-minded titles? i'd love to do so high-res/high FPS, where possible. thankfully, SOTC is off this list with the forthcoming HD set, wish i could say the same for Snake Eater since i'm told it's problematic.

2) i've started Persona 4 on my BC PS3, and have the USB dongle for memory cards. can game data be taken from here to use on this emulator, or vice-versa, if desired?

John

squall211 said:
At the risk of sounding silly I have a question:

If I play a game using the emulator, is there any way to transfer that save onto a physical memory card?
i don't know if it's the same format, but if it is i think you could stick it on a thumb drive, then stick that into a ps3, then transfer it to a ps2 card with the sony usb-ps2 card converter

Clevinger

IrishNinja said:
pardon if this'd been answered, didn't find so on a quick glance:

1) i've a (currently) stock i5-670, ATI 6870, 4GB DDR3. should i expect trouble running Persona 4, SMT: Nocturne, Yakuza 1 & 2, ZOE2, Godhand, or a few like-minded titles? i'd love to do so high-res/high FPS, where possible. thankfully, SOTC is off this list with the forthcoming HD set, wish i could say the same for Snake Eater since i'm told it's problematic.

2) i've started Persona 4 on my BC PS3, and have the USB dongle for memory cards. can game data be taken from here to use on this emulator, or vice-versa, if desired?

I think a stock 670 is at 3.4, so no, most of those won't be a problem. ZOE2 might be, from what I've heard, but that's just because it's not optimized/it's the emulator's fault. I don't know about question 2, but maybe this will help.

styl3s

if only i had a PC that could run it but sadly i don't im stuck on a semi-decent laptop that can run SC2/WOW on medium/high and that's about it, never cared enough to build a PC but this looks pretty awesome but i don't care for piracy :-/

IrishNinja

Clevinger said:
I think a stock 670 is at 3.4, so no, most of those won't be a problem. ZOE2 might be, from what I've heard, but that's just because it's not optimized/it's the emulator's fault. I don't know about question 2, but maybe this will help.

it's tragically 2.8 at stock, but once i get these heat issues (on full load) under control, 3.4ghz should be well within my reach, so that's good to hear.
checking your link now...thanks man!

styl3s said:
if only i had a PC that could run it but sadly i don't im stuck on a semi-decent laptop that can run SC2/WOW on medium/high and that's about it, never cared enough to build a PC but this looks pretty awesome but i don't care for piracy :-/

Well, the great thing about PCSX2 (and that the PS2's DVDs don't have any fancy copy protection) is that you can just stick the original game discs into the DVD drive in your PC and play them directly.

onken said:
There's a fairly decent PC version of DMC3SE so they're probably not working too hard on fixes.

I would not call the PC port of DMC3SE "fairly decent". It was done by the same team at Ubisoft (?) that was responsible for the ultra-shitty RE4 PC port. It's sluggish as hell on my PC (single digit framerates) and is generally an unoptimized turd.

I guess it's fine if you have a beefy enough PC to negate how horrifically unoptimized it is (such as the kind of PC that could handle PS2 emulation), but for an aging rig like mine it's a joke that a ported PS2 game would run that poorly.

Is the "double vision" thing you get with some games an unavoidable emulation thing or a bug? During battles in FFX-2 for example, the character models have a sort of transparent double coming off of them.

Eh, this is hard to explain without screenshots (can't get any right now) but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Sega1991 said:
I would not call the PC port of DMC3SE "fairly decent". It was done by the same team at Ubisoft (?) that was responsible for the ultra-shitty RE4 PC port. It's sluggish as hell on my PC (single digit framerates) and is generally an unoptimized turd.

I guess it's fine if you have a beefy enough PC to negate how horrifically unoptimized it is (such as the kind of PC that could handle PS2 emulation), but for an aging rig like mine it's a joke that a ported PS2 game would run that poorly.

Plus, the controller support is garbage. I don't think it even had it originally. Try playing a DMC game with a keyboard :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom