• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

jotun?

So Echo Arena.. several questions

1. Using ReVive, is there a way to swap the grip and trigger buttons? I greatly prefer the trigger for grabbing things

2. Is there any kind of solo practice room, that isn't full of assholes playing keep-away, so I can actually hold the disc for more than 0.1 seconds?

3. I was able to open the menu/settings during the tutorial, but once it put me into the lobby place, I wasn't able to anymore. What am I missing here?

No, there isn't a practice room, you kinda have to hope you get an empty room to screw around in until they add private games.

1. Yes, but it's currently a bit finagly to enable until openvr-advanced settings gets updated

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6pb9an/newest_version_of_revive_has_support_for_trigger/

Do mind the syntax of that, it doesn't show it in the snippet, but you want a comma at the end of every line except the last line (unless there is only one line, then you don't want a comma) in the "revive" section of your steamvr.vrsettings file. If you screw up the syntax, Steam will wipe the file and reset all of your settings. Make a backup first.

You're going to want to install OpenVR-Advanced Settings anyway. In the SteamVR dashboard, it'll add an "Advanced Settings" page where you can change more revive options, including "Grip." By default, Grip is hybrid, you want to change it to be "normal."

Played The Bellows: A VR Horror Experience

Was well done from a technical perspective, looks nice (and was for free, again).

Aside from that, jumpscare horror games in VR are probably wasted on me. I always expect something to pop up right in front of you, things to appear in your face or doors shutting down with a bang behind you. You know slow and silent scenes are slow and silent because the intention of build up and usually the surprise jumpscare follows right on time... nothing really surprising.

A relly good creepy VR game should have 90% build up so that when something happens it has impact imo... most people would find that to be boring I guess and it's problematic from a spoiler perspective when these moments are known to everyone before playing the game.

Hexer06

Rec Room is so much fun! Been playing it the last few days now and it's got the most hours of all my VR games. Played for about 3-4 hours straight last night. Only problem was the headset started to get really hot and I was sweating a ton. Any fix for that? Do different Rift covers have better breathing or something to make them less hot? To be fair, I was being very active with moving a lot. My character in the game was sweating too. Haha

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Guess I'm gonna reinstall all the Oculus stuff today to play some echo arena.

Amneisac

Rec Room is so much fun! Been playing it the last few days now and it's got the most hours of all my VR games. Played for about 3-4 hours straight last night. Only problem was the headset started to get really hot and I was sweating a ton. Any fix for that? Do different Rift covers have better breathing or something to make them less hot? To be fair, I was being very active with moving a lot. My character in the game was sweating too. Haha

Which mini games do you prefer? I've only tried paintball and it was okay but the teleporting made it a little weird.

the vrcover replacement is more breathable imo. you will still sweat if you spend tons of time but its way more comfortable and breathable than the foam. I sweat way less. and since its leather, after my session I just wipe it with a antibacterial cloth once. done

Fracas

#fuckonami
What's a good Rift cover to combat lens fog? I don't really sweat a ton but my lenses fog up after like 5 minutes. I wear glasses, so that probably doesn't help.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I cannot find the link to install the oculus software from the oculus webpage, lol. I signed in, got my free copy of echo arena but anytime I get remotely close to downloading something I find myself in the developer portal. Feelin real, real dumb.

Hexer06

Which mini games do you prefer? I've only tried paintball and it was okay but the teleporting made it a little weird.

I mostly play charades or mess around in the lobby area. I think it's fun messing with the random crap in there or just talking with ppl. Any other fun multiplayer games you know of? I wanna get star trek but I'll wait for a sale.

the vrcover replacement is more breathable imo. you will still sweat if you spend tons of time but its way more comfortable and breathable than the foam. I sweat way less. and since its leather, after my session I just wipe it with a antibacterial cloth once. done

Nice. I think I'm gonna get it then. Too bad it's OOS at Amazon. I want faster shipping! Lol

Reallink

Played The Bellows: A VR Horror Experience

Was well done from a technical perspective, looks nice (and was for free, again).

Aside from that, jumpscare horror games in VR are probably wasted on me. I always expect something to pop up right in front of you, things to appear in your face or doors shutting down with a bang behind you. You know slow and silent scenes are slow and silent because the intention of build up and usually the surprise jumpscare follows right on time... nothing really surprising.

A relly good creepy VR game should have 90% build up so that when something happens it has impact imo... most people would find that to be boring I guess and it's problematic from a spoiler perspective when these moments are known to everyone before playing the game.

Ironically the original Bellows demo satisfies most of your criteria and is much better than either of the longer/full experiences. The game is actually 3 completely different experiences, the demo, the first release, and the final release. They're completely self contained, not beta branches of the same content. I'd hazard a guess most people never touch the other two assuming they're just glitchier versions of the final.

Ironically the original Bellows demo satisfies most of your criteria and is much better than either of the longer/full experiences. The game is actually 3 completely different experiences, the demo, the first release, and the final release. They're completely self contained, not beta branches of the same content. I'd hazard a guess most people never touch the other two assuming they're just glitchier versions of the final.

The description made it look like only the locomotion method was different? You see different things in all 3 scenarios?

stoke1863

As a keen squash player i really liked the demo of Racket:NX

Think Squash or racketball in a Sci-Fi setting, hitting the ball feels very good and natural.

I will keep an eye on it when its out of Early Access (i dont like buying EA games)

When i get a bit of spare cash i will get Lone Echo.

As a keen squash player i really liked the demo of Racket:NX

Think Squash or racketball in a Sci-Fi setting, hitting the ball feels very good and natural.

I will keep an eye on it when its out of Early Access (i dont like buying EA games)

They changed quite a bit in the last update, for the better. Finally some music and more interesting design (panels/UI). But the commentator lost his edge and the ball is now not as easily distinguishable from the background anymore anymore when it comes back at you from a similar colored tile. It was easier to see before because the color/brightness intensity in the panel behind the ball wasn't as intense.
It's not a dramatic thing but it was noticable to me!

-

Is Battlezone worth anything if you don't give a damn about multiplayer? Is there enough and quality singleplayer content for 50% off at the moment? (The sale may have ended already, I'm not sure)

Banzai

Alright, a friend is coming by friday to try out the oculus and he's calling me a pussy for not trying any horror game yet. I mean he's not wrong, but I'm working up to it.

What would be the best horror game to make him scream like a little girl? I heard Dreadhalls is good.

Tain

They changed quite a bit in the last update, for the better. Finally some music and more interesting design (panels/UI). But the commentator lost his edge and the ball is now not as easily distinguishable from the background anymore anymore when it comes back at you from a similar colored tile. It was easier to see before because the color/brightness intensity in the panel behind the ball wasn't as intense.
It's not a dramatic thing but it was noticable to me!

-

Is Battlezone worth anything if you don't give a damn about multiplayer? Is there enough and quality singleplayer content for 50% off at the moment? (The sale may have ended already, I'm not sure)

Battlezone is really good in single player. It's a big randomly-generated map but there's plenty of polish and variety.

Lakuza

Alright, a friend is coming by friday to try out the oculus and he's calling me a pussy for not trying any horror game yet. I mean he's not wrong, but I'm working up to it.

What would be the best horror game to make him scream like a little girl? I heard Dreadhalls is good.

I played dreadhalls on gear vr and enjoyed it a lot (it takes its time to build up though, walking you through the mechanics of the game). if you're looking for a quicker experience (maybe even as a starter for vr horror), then its worth checking out Affected:the manor (it last about 10 minutes, set in a haunted mansion and the gameplay is super simple (just walking and moving a torch about). It's around £6 in uk so really cheap in price (This is the first horror in vr i show to first timers).

There is paranormal activity which looks good but its apparently only 2 hours long and for the price they are asking, its not worth it at all. Wilson's heart is also not a horror game either. Can't think of any other horror games (i think bellows was mentioned above which is free i think)

Lord Phol

I recently learned from a r/oculus post of a game called The Ranger Lost Tribe. Apparently released for free on Steam by the developer to gather feedback for their upcoming RPG. It looks decent and has reviewed positively.
They've also released another game for free called the Deadly Hunter VR, both are linked below.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/673070/The_Ranger_Lost_Tribe/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/594490/Deadly_Hunter_VR/

Still waiting for my rift so I haven't tested them out personally, but I grabbed them from the store in anticipation.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Duuuuude I am losing my mind over Lone Echo. It feels so... real. Its amazing. I've only played like 5 matches (I'm a level 4) but its unreal. It really feels like a hallucination. Its amazing. And when you actually grab onto another human and punch them in the face it feels like its actually happening.

Everything about the social aspect of it is just completely unreal. Hanging out in the lobby has so much physicality to it. I've been playing Gunheart which has a really interesting social lobby.. but its nothing like the one in Lone Echo. It just feels so real, the way you can grab onto other people.

Its fuckin' suuuuuuuuuuper crazy. Theres some real lightning in a bottle here. The matches are fun as hell, and theres lots of room for goofing off. Incredible game!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What do you think the chances are that Valve's recently announced DOTA2 card game Artifact is one of the Valve 3?
There's a good thread on r/Vive about it. And with knuckle finger tracking I could see manipulating cards being pretty compelling.

What do you think the chances are that Valve's recently announced DOTA2 card game Artifact is one of the Valve 3?

I can't imagine how a card game is going to show the potential of VR and the way Gabe Newell spoke about what they try to do with their 3 VR games made it sound like that was the focus.
Of course I don't know anything about this game, maybe it's the craziest card game ever and they somehow make it work... I'm not a Dota fan at all though, so I hope it's not one of those 3 games.

Looked at all locations in Realities, it's all photogrammetry locations sometimes with narration. I really dig that stuff but feel like there is no main gathering place for this stuff anymore. Destinations sort of got fused with Steam VR Home but that's not all photogrammetry per se. They had a few of those in The Lab but that was more an introduction to Destinations, same stuff. And in Realities there are only a few locations, the best locations are the Castle, Berlin and the Church in Collogne... the Desert and the Alcatraz Cell are a bit lame.

Doing photogrammetry is probably not easy, wish there was more of that around. Looking at different places in the world at that level of detail is simply always fascinating. In the far future that will maybe a standard Google Earth VR thing, who knows.

Damnit... Finally playing my Oculus is amazing. Got everything setup, which wasn't the smoothest thing ever (I eventually just skipped camera placement setup because damnit I know better than you software). Port issues, even though I have like 12 USB 3 ports, had to get driver updates, on and off telling me that I have poor tracking, then deciding naw you're good, then poor again etc.

All of that, is fine, the big problem. My big stylish glasses just do not fit inside the Rift. They're smashed up against my face so tight that my glasses just became a clouded mess and they're wedged in there so damn tightly. Do the VR cover interface replacements correct this? I have WidmoVR cover I got, which is nice, but I'm kind of wishing I had got the VR covers if they help with this. Man how did they not fashion these while keeping people with glasses in mind? I imagine a majority of Rift users probably have glasses...

Also I definitely need to get some kind of ceiling hook to get the cable out from under me. And I need more space!

vermadas

Digital Foundry analysis of Rez Infinite PC timestamped to VR section

Sounds like the original Rez levels are still kind of locked to 60Hz with ASW and async reprojection left to fill in the gaps. Other than that, it sounds great.

Re: Oculus Store version, note that the Steam version has DLC marked free for a limited time - I'm not sure if this is included with the Oculus version or not.

For a limited time only, buy Rez Infinite and you'll also get, free of charge:

• Over 20 desktop wallpapers, including original concept art.
  • A digital soundtrack sampler including new, never-before released tracks.
  • A set of original Rez avatars.
  • A digital excerpt from the iam8bit-created Making-of Rez / art book.

---

OST Tracklist:

1. Awakening
  2. Wide Echoes
  3. Cycle of Silence
  4. Butterfly Effect
  5. Butterfly Effect (Instrumental Mix)
  6. Singularity
  7. Starlight Infinite

Durante

I posted about this in the Rez thread, but I guess it's also relevant here:
I was involved in playtesting this port and providing feedback, both for the screen version and the VR version.

Both are excellent in my opinion. The performance is fantastic (with full MSAA and high supersampling factors too).
Area X at 200% resolution and maximum glow is perhaps the single most visually outstanding thing I've seen in VR.

Also, if you enjoy playing VR stuff in full 360° immersion with no artificial rotation, you'll really appreciate the "auto-camera rotation OFF" setting. It's the one thing in the port that I'm pretty certain would not have been there without my feedback, and it does exactly what I wanted ;)

If you commonly demonstrate VR to people, I'd say the asking price is worth it just for Area X alone, never mind the nice and very replayable full game you get with it.

New trailer for Megaton Rainfall finally! Comes out Fall. There's a thread about it already, but worth mentioning here. The PS Blog goes in to more detail of the gameplay.

BackAromaticLeafbird.gif

RealisticPlayfulGreathornedowl.gif

InsecureHonorableBoa.gif

cakefoo

If you commonly demonstrate VR to people, I'd say the asking price is worth it just for Area X alone, never mind the nice and very replayable full game you get with it.
Your impressions were just what I needed to hear. Seeing artificial rotation in the Steam trailer irked me. Glad I read this. I'll pick it up sometime.

thefil

Any recommendations for VR games with smooth movement (no teleporting)? Either action or exploration based. I looked through everything in the spreadsheet already but want even more options.

I have a stomach of steel after working on a VR game for a couple years, so nothing is too extreme - in some ways the more intense the better. :) Finally got my own Rift + Touch and have some time to actually try stuff.

Lakuza

One of my worries was the fps problem with the classic game, but doesnt seem like thats an issue if you're giving it praise :D Will be buying it later today for sure :D

New trailer for Megaton Rainfall finally! Comes out Fall. There's a thread about it already, but worth mentioning here. The PS Blog goes in to more detail of the gameplay.

That looks insane, the graphics in those gifs feel like cg targets for how the game should look :O

Any recommendations for VR games with smooth movement (no teleporting)? Either action or exploration based. I looked through everything in the spreadsheet already but want even more options.

I have a stomach of steel after working on a VR game for a couple years, so nothing is too extreme - in some ways the more intense the better. :) Finally got my own Rift + Touch and have some time to actually try stuff.

A few I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Raw Data
  • Gunheart
  • Mage's Tale
  • Lone Echo (This one is way different than the rest. Zero gravity movement)
  • Echo Arena (multiplayer for lone echo, its also a free standalone game too)
  • Dreadhalls

Upcoming games:
  • Megaton Rainfall (see above)
  • Killing Floor: Incusion (included as an experimental mode)
  • The new game by Metro devs (not 100% sure on this but I remember reading they are adding free movement after backlast for node based teleport system.

Nzyme32

Had a ton of fun last week with Raw Data. Definitely looking forward to the next set of headsets / new controllers, as they will be the ones I finally go for rather than borrowing works.

Most importantly though, I am really looking forward to the VR version Talos Principle. Loved that game, but its a good reason for me to hold off both replaying it and getting round to play through Road to Gehenna

SimplexPL

So 60FPS on a 90Hz is not a problem?

Top Bottom