• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we really gonna bump this thread everytime a jackass does jackass shit?

Not everyone at the school is that guy.

People put up a Joe Paterno bobblehead where the statue used to stand and were taking pictures with it today.

Considering how much material the community keeps giving, this thread could be bumped pretty frequently.

How many people have to do stuff like this before you recognize that it's a trait of the community and not just a couple isolated incidents?

People put up a Joe Paterno bobblehead where the statue used to stand and were taking pictures with it today.

Considering how much material the community keeps giving, this thread could be bumped pretty frequently.

How many people have to do stuff like this before you recognize that it's a trait of the community and not just a couple isolated incidents?

The cut out is pretty shameless.

Dammit Penn St.

I will shut up now.

I don't think a lot of you understand the extent to which students/alum/faculty were indoctrinated to believe Joe Paterno was a god on earth. They believed him to be infallible, and will never go back on their thinking. Best not to get worked up about it.

I still think the degree to which Paterno was blamed for this and Sandusky, the actual rapist, took a backseat is disgusting. He deserves some of the blame, but the extent the media put it on Paterno was tough to watch.

Revenant

About 90 minutes before kickoff, a plane flew over Beaver Stadium with a banner reading "Oust Erickson/trustees," referring to Penn State president Rodney Erickson.

they had a moment of reflection for the victims at the stadium. I'm surprised they didn't have one for themselves with all their crying and stupidity.

kirblar

I don't think a lot of you understand the extent to which students/alum/faculty were indoctrinated to believe Joe Paterno was a god on earth. They believed him to be infallible, and will never go back on their thinking. Best not to get worked up about it.

I still think the degree to which Paterno was blamed for this and Sandusky, the actual rapist, took a backseat is disgusting. He deserves some of the blame, but the extent the media put it on Paterno was tough to watch.
Because it's one thing to be a sociopathic monster. It's another to not be one and let the monster keep doing what he's doing even though you could have stepped in at any time.

Camera zoomed in on two Penn State girls in the crowd with "We Care" t-shirts on (Penn State colors). That's a good thing. Doesn't make up for all the morons who still think the biggest issue is Paterno getting fired/stripped of wins, but it's nice to see.

Forever

Banned

Sandusky will spend the rest of his life in jail. Paterno will be deified by his cult forever. The focus will go where justice was not done.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
That is so awesome. So much for all the "experts" saying that the players that stayed would rally and have a good year. I really hope they go winless this year.

Really, you wish ill will on all the players and coaches who had absolutely nothing to do with any of this scandal?

Pure class bro, pure class.

eznark

Banned
Really, you wish ill will on all the players and coaches who had absolutely nothing to do with any of this scandal?

I wish all non Badger big ten teams go winless every year and they dont represent an institution that protected and enabled boy rape.

For anyone who might have missed it, from Yahoo

Yx5kK.jpg

I don't know how many times it needs to be said:

Selfish actions affect innocent people.

And with so many students and alumni playing the role of the victim, yes, I hope they lose every single game this season.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
lol Ohio is about to beat these chumps. Beautiful.

That is so awesome. So much for all the "experts" saying that the players that stayed would rally and have a good year. I really hope they go winless this year.

God, please let PSU lose to Ohio today. Would be absolutely hilarious.

I enjoyed this loss very much.

0-12, here we come!

I don't know how many times it needs to be said:

Selfish actions affect innocent people.

And with so many students and alumni playing the role of the victim, yes, I hope they lose every single game this season.

Sigh. The witch hunt mentality of GAF in this thread is almost worse than the PSU students who simply can't open their eyes. They at least have an excuse. You guys are just being immature at the expense of innocents who had zero to do with what happened. Sure PSU lost, with the gutted and broken team it's amazing they did as good as they did for the first half. But the bloodthirsty smugness you guys exude is just ridiculous and petty.

That's it. I'm done with this thread. Now that Sandusky is in jail and worst is over, all of this negative GAF behavior is just making me feel very bad about you all, so I'm out. Enjoy your roast.

Sigh. The witch hunt mentality of GAF in this thread is almost worse than the PSU students who simply can't open their eyes. They at least have an excuse. You guys are just being immature at the expense of innocents who had zero to do with what happened. Sure PSU lost, with the gutted and broken team it's amazing they did as good as they did for the first half. But the bloodthirsty smugness you guys exude is just ridiculous and petty.

That's it. I'm done with this thread. Now that Sandusky is in jail and worst is over, all of this negative GAF behavior is just making me feel very bad about you all, so I'm out. Enjoy your roast.

People are taking satisfaction in the fact that the large number of members of the Penn State FANBASE, have put football above and beyond everything else in life, are now cursed with a shitty and irrelevant football team. It's karma. I see nothing wrong with enjoying seeing people get their comeuppance. They are not "innocents", they are simply idiots.

Should we be rooting for them to win? My alma mater, West Virginia University, used to play Penn State when I attended. I've spent my entire life rooting for them to lose every single game of the season.

eznark

Banned

KVWrE.gif

KVWrE.gif

KVWrE.gif

Cyan

Banned

Are you serious with this shit? Innocent players? Bloodthirsty smugness?

Dude, I will root against a team merely because a single fan of theirs once annoyed me. I will root against a team merely because an ESPN personality lathered too much praise on them. I will root against a team merely because their uniform says "Notre Dame."

You're goddamn right I'm gonna root against a team whose fans have collectively and noisily proved that they care way, way more about football than about children being raped.

FFS, these poor "innocents" lost a football game. Who gives a shit?

Revenant

Are you serious with this shit? Innocent players? Bloodthirsty smugness?

Dude, I will root against a team merely because a single fan of theirs once annoyed me. I will root against a team merely because an ESPN personality lathered too much praise on them. I will root against a team merely because their uniform says "Notre Dame."

You're goddamn right I'm gonna root against a team whose fans have collectively and noisily proved that they care way, way more about football than about children being raped.

FFS, these poor "innocents" lost a football game. Who gives a shit?

hey man, that one penn state fan said it was like watching 9/11 when the sanctions were announced. Can you only imagine the pain he is going through being 0-1?

GAF should probably start a fundraiser so we can get the lives of the people of happy valley back to normal after their catastrophic loss of a football team that probably will be below .500

true agony.

OK this just bumped my enjoyment level of the loss through the frickin roof.

TheChits

Quoting for hilarity
KuGsj.gif

Here's why there's a bit of reveling in this thread.

There were staunch, staunch supporters of Paterno in this and other related threads. The goalposts kept being moved.

First it was that no such thing had happened.
Then Paterno couldn't have known.
If he did know, he couldn't do anything about it.
If he could, other authorities had more responsibility.
Well, ok, Paterno had a lot of authority, but that should have been handled by the cops. Paterno did the minimal, legally required steps.

All the while insisting that the football program had nothing to do with it when the football program had everything to do with it. Unfortunately, PennState's football fervor and its fans became the public face of the university. Those PennState students who disapproved of this whole debacle were utterly drowned out by other students who showed more dismay over a damaged football program than by the fact that a child rapist walked their halls freely for 10 years.

This is the reason for the schadenfreude. A football program, a football coach, and the surrounding culture were placed above everything, including the welfare of the most vulnerable. It was torn down in the most public manner, and it sends a huge message; that this is unacceptable.

And the continued defensiveness of PennState fans (not students, but fans) only prolongs this schadenfreude. The right feelings is contriteness and shame, not defense of the program. Students were not involved in the coverup, but they did buy wholesale into the culture that allowed such a vile thing to happen. They were duped, sure, but then the correct emotion to display is regret and shame, not defensiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom