• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So what? Remember Jerry Dewayne Williams? Stole a pizza, got 25 years to life. Paris Hilton? Busted with 0.8 grams of cocaine in Vegas, AND with a prior arrest for drunk driving- gets community service.

The court SHOULD make a statement, especially after the size of this event in JoePavania. PA is a wholly owned subsidiarity of PSU, I'm telling you. And I lived there, this isn't sour grapes...

Jerry Dewayne Williams was a sentencing issue. That was a legislative issue of California having a 3 strikes law. The judge had no say in the sentence, CA statute mandated he receive a life sentence.

Same thing with Paris Hilton. Sentencing guidelines for powder cocaine as opposed to rock cocaine have always been biased. Also, the possession and drunk driving happened in 2 different jurisdictions and both were treated as misdemeanors by the proescuting attorneys not the judge doing the sentencing.

I understand what you're trying to say, but determing a sentence isn't as simple as what the judge wants. He can't just make up a period of time.

TheNatural

My Member!
Should have been the whole 350 years or whatever. This is going to spawn so many civil suits...

JoePa rules PA, even posthumously.

So what? Remember Jerry Dewayne Williams? Stole a pizza, got 25 years to life. Paris Hilton? Busted with 0.8 grams of cocaine in Vegas, AND with a prior arrest for drunk driving- gets community service.

The court SHOULD make a statement, especially after the size of this event in JoePavania. PA is a wholly owned subsidiarity of PSU, I'm telling you. And I lived there, this isn't sour grapes...

I would say this with child sex crimes in general. Go check your local sex registry right in your neighborhood to see what I'm talking about. Most of these fucks should have never been let out of jail.

slit

PA is a wholly owned subsidiarity of PSU, I'm telling you. And I lived there, this isn't sour grapes...

As someone who currently lives there I can tell you this is complete bull. It may be true in the central part of the state. Elsewhere? No way.

drspeedy

Jerry Dewayne Williams was a sentencing issue. That was a legislative issue of California having a 3 strikes law. The judge had no say in the sentence, CA statute mandated he receive a life sentence.

Same thing with Paris Hilton. Sentencing guidelines for powder cocaine as opposed to rock cocaine have always been biased. Also, the possession and drunk driving happened in 2 different jurisdictions and both were treated as misdemeanors by the proescuting attorneys not the judge doing the sentencing.

I understand what you're trying to say, but determing a sentence isn't as simple as what the judge wants. He can't just make up a period of time.

Actually, he did exactly that. It was based on factors specific to the case, which is my real point here- the judge made the sentence something he deemed to fit based on Sandusky's 68 years of age. Not saying everyone should be in jail for life for sexual crimes (two underage kids getting caught shouldn't be dual life sentences), but in this case, the lenght of time, the number of charges and convictions (45 of 48 counts, against 10 boys over 15 years), the high profile nature... this isn't a harsh sentence at all. It sends the message that the court just wants this to be over, so wit him out and see if he lives 30 years...

No offense taken, BTW. Just feels like there's more than we're hearing here.

As someone who currently lives there I can tell you this is complete bull. It may be true in the central part of the state. Elsewhere? No way.

Steelers fan, eh? :p

I doubt he even makes its that long, they're going to have to keep him separated from the general population.

If they don't, he's going to get his ass kicked, big time (especially if he runs into some prisoners who are Penn State fans).

Apparently he fought to keep himself in gen pop. I'm gonna find out if this is true, because unless he wants to die, I refuse to believe he'd turn down solitary.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I sure hope so, but with this story, who knows....also, I wonder how "cushy" his prison life is going to be.

I imagine he will get very sick and plead for clemency to go to hospital/live his last days at home. You see it with rich/famous/politicians a little after they begin a sentence.

"The old adage 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all' applies to sentencing statements," Bernstein said. "It is awkward when you deny you are culpable and a jury says otherwise. For appellate purposes Sandusky was never going to accept responsibility or admit doing something wrong, but lashing out at everyone so strongly was irrational and certainly could not have been done to persuade the judge."
Yep. What an idiot. Although nothing he could say or do right now will save him from life in prison.

UPDATE: Former Penn State University President Spanier facing charges in abuse case at Penn State

State Attorney General Linda Kelly is expected to announce today that former Penn State University President Graham Spanier has been charged in relation to the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, according to sources close to the investigation.

The sources, who requested anonymity, said Mr. Spanier is charged with perjury and obstruction of justice.

In the grand jury presentment returned on Sandusky in November 2011, the document noted that Mr. Spanier "denied being aware of a 1998 University Police investigation of Sandusky for incidents with children in football building showers."

Excellent.

rCIZZLE

Afterward, Schultz attorney Tom Farrell talked of the positive things the men have accomplished, along with their co-defendant, former Penn State president Graham Spanier.

Ugh, I hate that they still try to use this shit. No amount of good you do in your life matters when situations like this arise.

Via The Inquirer

Experts warn that Kane's inquiry into Corbett's handling of the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse case could damage Corbett's administration, demoralize career professionals in her own office, and complicate the prosecutions of the three remaining defendants in the Sandusky case, all former officials of Pennsylvania State University.

And if those risks aren't high enough, the investigation also could damage one of the state Democrats' brightest stars if Kane appears to be a partisan with a vendetta against the Republican governor.

"I just think she needs to be careful," Corbett said last week in an interview with Inquirer editors and reporters. He said Kane had a right to review his office's actions and has promised to cooperate, but added, "I don't know how you would risk an investigation."

Kane's pointed portrayal of Corbett as slow-footed in pursuing Sandusky was a major message in the campaign that made her the first Democrat and first woman elected to Pennsylvania's highest law-enforcement post.

It fit into Kane's broader theme that Harrisburg is run by a "good-old-boy" network that takes care of itself.

Kane, a former Lackawanna County assistant district attorney, has contended that Sandusky should have been arrested as soon as the first young accuser came forward - the better to get a dangerous predator off the street, rather than taking the slower route of convening a grand jury, as Corbett did.

Corbett, a career prosecutor before he ran for governor, has bristled at this critique. He said in the Inquirer interview that use of a grand jury was crucial to building a strong enough case to stand up against Sandusky, a popular coach in the revered PSU football program who also was held in high regard for his charity that helped troubled boys.

The explosive Sandusky case first came to the Attorney General's Office early in 2009 when a teenage boy told authorities he had been molested repeatedly by the former coach. It was referred to Corbett's office because the Centre County prosecutor had a conflict of interest.

The grand jury investigation inched along for months, Corbett said, until an anonymous tip led investigators to former assistant coach Mike McQueary. His account of having seen Sandusky sexually assault a boy in a locker-room shower "led to everything else," as Corbett put it. But by then, Corbett had been elected governor and the case was proceeding under his handpicked successor, Linda Kelly.

Thirty-three months elapsed between the first complaint and Sandusky's being charged in November 2011.

Democratic critics have contended that by kicking the matter to a grand jury, which typically takes longer to bring charges, Corbett avoided having a controversial case play out when he knew he would be running for governor.

Corbett, in the Inquirer interview, said that was ridiculous. He not only defended the use of a grand jury as a proven investigative tactic in sex-crime cases; he said that politically, he would have benefited if Sandusky had been convicted during the gubernatorial campaign - and that, Corbett said, would have led critics to rip him for exploiting the case.

Full story
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/p...7_Risks_Are_High_in_Kane_s_Corbett_Probe.html

This son of a bitch is worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom