• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us....how did the guy do this trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jme

oatmeal said:
That whole set drives me mad...

How does he keep bringing out more cards? Goddamnit...it's probably simple, but those are teh hardest to figure out.

They just keep coming.

He's got a full deck (or whatever) that he's showing to look like one card, and he's doing a back palm while dropping one.

He's just got decades of practice with sleight of hand.

oatmeal

Banned
Jme said:
He's got a full deck (or whatever) that he's showing to look like one card, and he's doing a back palm while dropping one.

He's just got decades of practice with sleight of hand.

The way they do things so effortlessly is what makes it so much fun to watch.

You know that inside they're like "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK"

Atrus

Gold Member
Linkzg said:
this show is really great

and how did Peter Marvey do this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YguJ5tMYT0s

I saw that as a kid and it always drives me mad

Everything is easily explainable except the card production. We can literally see when he takes other cards from his jacket and that in many instances he's just pretending to pass cards from hand to hand when he's actually just hiding them behind the palm.

However, when there's a stint where he is constantly producing cards and he's got his arm exposed. The arm never seems to retract to his ensemble to pick up more cards, and we see shots of the back of the arm that show he's not hiding any there.

This is at a moment where his other hand isn't feeding him cards like he does for most of this routine. 3:40 to 4:00.

We can also tell the difference between a single card, which he grabs one end with the tips of his fingers and multiple cards which he wanted to present as one when he holds the card at both ends.

His jacket is the key here but it's this 20 second part that's confusing me.

Ecrofirt

Atrus said:
Everything is easily explainable except the card production. We can literally see when he takes other cards from his jacket and that in many instances he's just pretending to pass cards from hand to hand when he's actually just hiding them behind the palm.

However, when there's a stint where he is constantly producing cards and he's got his arm exposed. The arm never seems to retract to his ensemble to pick up more cards, and we see shots of the back of the arm that show he's not hiding any there.

This is at a moment where his other hand isn't feeding him cards like he does for most of this routine. 3:40 to 4:00.

We can also tell the difference between a single card, which he grabs one end with the tips of his fingers and multiple cards which he wanted to present as one when he holds the card at both ends.

His jacket is the key here but it's this 20 second part that's confusing me.

During that time, you can see that he actually has cards in his left hand.He's got his left hand on his stomach held awkwardly, and at about 3:50, you see the cards flash as he's putting them into his pocket.

Is it possible he was doing something as simple as flicking the cards from one hand to the other very quickly, and then catching them in mid-air?

Atrus

Gold Member
Ecrofirt said:
During that time, you can see that he actually has cards in his left hand.He's got his left hand on his stomach held awkwardly, and at about 3:50, you see the cards flash as he's putting them into his pocket.

Is it possible he was doing something as simple as flicking the cards from one hand to the other very quickly, and then catching them in mid-air?

Anything goes really since I'm at a loss for how he does it. Due to the risk involved in tossing cards, I would gather that it is some form of physical passing of cards.

We know it is an illusion. We know it's sleight of hand. We just cannot tell where and when A gets passed to B.

He could just be so good that all of the cards are presented each time and he's only dropping the face while putting the rest on the back of the palm in a fraction of a second, but that would be out of place with everything else he's shown.

His show is his jacket. Something related to that is the answer here.

Ristlager

Not Penn and Teller, but how the hell did he do this??

http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=43388

It is in norwegian, but nothing he/spectators says is of any importance.

daviyoung

Banned
Ristlager said:

He could have had a bit of floss already behind his eyelid.

Jme

Ristlager said:

I already don't like this because of the multiple camera angles and cuts and whatnot. It smells like a Kris Angel act (read: staged, people on street are actors, edited for tv)

That said, most likely, palmed the 2nd string and when he pinches his fingers together he places into his squeezed eye and begins to unravel it while he slurps up the other string into his mouth.

Or he had the 2nd string already behind his eyelid like the guy above me said.

Ristlager

daviyoung said:
He could have had a bit of floss already behind his eyelid.
Thats probably the logic explanation, but he manipulates it very good, as it seems the one in his mouth moves as he pulls it out his eye.

Ristlager

Jme said:
I already don't like this because of the multiple camera angles and cuts and whatnot. It smells like a Kris Angel act (read: staged, people on street are actors, edited for tv)

That said, most likely, palmed the 2nd string and when he pinches his fingers together he places into his squeezed eye and begins to unravel it while he slurps up the other string into his mouth.

Or he had the 2nd string already behind his eyelid like the guy above me said.
Has it been confirmed that Kriss Angel uses actors and things are staged? If so where can I read about it? Hasn't he a very good stageshow in Vegas?

Edit: I think the editing is just to be "cool"...

benjipwns

Banned
Probably not worth a bump, but on the latest Penn & Teller: Tell A Lie they sorta called out that guy with the nails and paper bag trick again. (Or at least the trick.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom