• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pennello: "People just weren't ready for all digital Xbox One". Post #657 = ether.

Myshkin

Its like they knew that it was going to be unpopular, but they gave it a shot anyways.

Near E3 MS was actually talking about how their DRM was unpopular on online message boards, but that they had super secret market research showing that people really wanted it.

geomon

The day the E3 2013 Xbox One comes to pass for all consoles is the day I stop being a gamer. I have no interest in having one company dictating how I can play games, a hobby. Whether it was having the all seeing and knowing Kinect camera on at all times, dialing home every day like I'm under house arrest, or merely renting my games for $60. I just have no interest in that future.

Tookay

I've got no fucking clue. MS has collectively had its head up it's own ass for a while now. I want to critique this whole mess but frankly they've bungled this thing up so hard it's difficult to know where to start.

Albert, I know you read Gaf. You need to stop talking about this. Period. Full stop. No more. Shush.

Every time you or any other MS representative goes on the record to discuss the DRM policies you take an inherently anti consumer approach even if it's not your intent. Which at this point I'm going to assume it's your intent given the frequency with which you and your cohorts put this bungle on the consumer. You can't claim that consumers weren't ready for your vision of the future. We will never be ready for your vision of an all digital future because neither you nor anyone else at MS has never, not once, made it clear what exactly that vision is, or was, could be or will be.

Simply state that Microsoft misread the market. You operated in a vacuum under the assumption that your consumers wanted certain things that we didn't and now you're having to back track. That's fine. You guys made a mistake, it happens. It's time to reread your audience and try again. What you can't do is continue to allude to the fact that consumers weren't ready for your product. That's insulting, and it insinuates that you still have plans to fuck us over in the future. Consumers are naturally entitled. We have to be. We're paying large sums of cash, in this case a premium, for your product. We have certain expectations based on how you present that product and once that transaction is complete we're naturally entitled to complete ownership over that product. We also have expectations for your product based on competing products and services from other manufacturers. You do not operate within a vacuum and this relationship does not work in reverse. You are not entitled to my money.

The DRM strategy as we know it is beneficial to no one but Microsoft and its partners. This statement is true based on the information you have given us. You can claim that miscommunications and disorganization led to dissemination of inaccurate rumors, but the truth of the matter is that the only time you've detailed any consumer benefit was AFTER you shut the DRM down. We also had it on good insider authority that those claims regarding game sharing were complete bullshit and you're lying to us. All the "facts" you attempted to detail to consumers were completely contradictory during the period of time immediately following the initial announcement. Every further clarification only led to further confusion as your company continued to contradict itself. Repeatedly. These are not signs of miscommunications. These are signs of a critical lack of vision and fundamental misunderstanding of your target audience and it shows.

Right now Sony is assaulting you with precision strikes in the market that matters the most during launches, the core gamer audience. You need to buckle the fuck down and figure out what your product is, and who it's for. Right now I can't figure out who this product is for, or why anyone should want it. If it's for the hardcore gamer what are the benefits of paying for XBL over PSN+? You're entering a new generation and Sony is catching up significantly. Voice chat is no longer an appropriate answer. You've failed to clarify on the future of the Games With Gold promotion. At first it was temporary, now it's not? The offerings have been substandard when compared to PS+ over the period of time since it was first announced. Your product is no longer the preferred place to play multiplatform titles and you have virtually no first party resources to draw from. The last entry of your largest IP, halo, was not received well by it's audience and you've lost a chunk of your third party exclusive content over the past generation. As a consumer why should I believe that this won't happen again? Why should I, as a gamer, buy a Xbox One when judging by your track record you've nearly abandoned the 360 halfway through it's life and let a massive series like Mass Effect go multiplatform. It seems to me like this will probably happen again and most major titles I can just wait for.

Is this for the casual gamer? If so why aren't we seeing more kinect games? If so why is it the most expensive console on the market? Where is the content that's going to blow the casual market away? The original kinect was successful because it was a novel add on. A new way of interacting with a product you already had in your household. This is not the case for you any more. The original Wii took off because it was something entirely new, original, and extremely affordable. It was a novelty. This is also not the case for the Xbox One. The family/casual market, if there's much of one left, is going to Nintendo. They have the stronger family friendly IPs. You either need to focus on them or drop the kinect.

Is this a device for the mass market? Designed to integrate into television and media services? It can't be, once again it's the most expensive console no the market. It can't compete in price to something like the Apple TV, or even the Vita TV, a device that at least makes sense as a cheap complimentary purchase to a product a consumer will already own. If that's the case then why haven't we heard more about these television and film products? Where is the info on Remedy's new game that's supposedly blending video games and television entertainment? We know virtually nothing about how it plays, and we know virtually nothing about the television series. Are there other projects like that in the works? If it's designed to compliment a cable subscription why can't it function as a DVR? What benefit is there to a $500 black box that functions as little more than a glorified TV remote? Why aren't you partnering with cable providers? Why are the TV services so severely limited globally?

Mircrosoft, who is this product for? On the surface you seem to be approaching this device as a jack of all trades type of console. The problem is that the title of "jack of all trades" implies a level of competency in these services that is glaringly absent from your strategy. You lack vision. Period. Stop making excuses. Stop blaming the consumers.

Shut the fuck up, buckle the fuck down, figure out who you're targeting, and fix this.

/end rant

Well said.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Do people really think MS was going to start charging less than $59.99 for AAA games? Or that they would have insane Steam-ish sales?

Yes. Because they'd have too.

How hard is that to understand?

Microsoft is fucking stupid. That's the point everyone is losing in this anti-consumer rant that started when MS announced the vision for the Xbox One to begin with.

They'd fail miserably by not having sales. The thing is that retail is too important right now, and they can't always undercut retail by digital sales and keep both markets happy.

The One's original plan would have allowed them to rely less on retail, and thus cut out the middle man.

There's really no real retail to piss off with PC games... it's not the competition on the PC market that is the only thing driving digital sales.. it's no middle man.. no physical disks... just bandwidth and keys.

If MS didn't adapt, they'd be dead. Why people think MS would have been inflexible with pricing is being naive.

Amir0x

Banned
I've got no fucking clue. MS has collectively had its head up it's own ass for a while now. I want to critique this whole mess but frankly they've bungled this thing up so hard it's difficult to know where to start.

Albert, I know you read Gaf. You need to stop talking about this. Period. Full stop. No more. Shush.

Every time you or any other MS representative goes on the record to discuss the DRM policies you take an inherently anti consumer approach even if it's not your intent. Which at this point I'm going to assume it's your intent given the frequency with which you and your cohorts put this bungle on the consumer. You can't claim that consumers weren't ready for your vision of the future. We will never be ready for your vision of an all digital future because neither you nor anyone else at MS has never, not once, made it clear what exactly that vision is, or was, could be or will be.

Is this for the casual gamer? If so why aren't we seeing more kinect games? If so why is it the most expensive console on the market? Where is the content that's going to blow the casual market away? The original kinect was successful because it was a novel add on. A new way of interacting with a product you already had in your household. This is not the case for you any more. The original Wii took off because it was something entirely new, original, and extremely affordable. It was a novelty. This is also not the case for the Xbox One. The family/casual market, if there's much of one left, is going to Nintendo. They have the stronger family friendly IPs. You either need to focus on them or drop the kinect.

Is this a device for the mass market? Designed to integrate into television and media services? It can't be, once again it's the most expensive console no the market. It can't compete in price to something like the Apple TV, or even the Vita TV, a device that at least makes sense as a cheap complimentary purchase to a product a consumer will already own. If that's the case then why haven't we heard more about these television and film products? Where is the info on Remedy's new game that's supposedly blending video games and television entertainment? We know virtually nothing about how it plays, and we know virtually nothing about the television series. Are there other projects like that in the works? If it's designed to compliment a cable subscription why can't it function as a DVR? What benefit is there to a $500 black box that functions as little more than a glorified TV remote? Why aren't you partnering with cable providers? Why are the TV services so severely limited globally?

Mircrosoft, who is this product for? On the surface you seem to be approaching this device as a jack of all trades type of console. The problem is that the title of "jack of all trades" implies a level of competency in these services that is glaringly absent from your strategy. You lack vision. Period. Stop making excuses. Stop blaming the consumers.

Shut the fuck up, buckle the fuck down, figure out who you're targeting, and fix this.

/end rant

holy fuck bro. What Microsoft needed was YOU in the office room when they were planning the Xbox One. Some of these questions should have stopped any planning of the XBO dead in its tracks with its vicious, heart-stopping clarity. It's really stark when viewed this way...

sublimit

Banned
It's stuff like this that are making people to not trust MS.If they keep with this BS then people will always be afraid that sooner or later they will try to bring their anti-consumer policies back.

Zephyrus

Banned

Simply state that Microsoft misread the market. You operated in a vacuum under the assumption that your consumers wanted certain things that we didn't and now you're having to back track. That's fine. You guys made a mistake, it happens. It's time to reread your audience and try again. What you can't do is continue to allude to the fact that consumers weren't ready for your product. That's insulting, and it insinuates that you still have plans to fuck us over in the future. Consumers are naturally entitled. We have to be. We're paying large sums of cash, in this case a premium, for your product. We have certain expectations based on how you present that product and once that transaction is complete we're naturally entitled to complete ownership over that product. We also have expectations for your product based on competing products and services from other manufacturers. You do not operate within a vacuum and this relationship does not work in reverse. You are not entitled to my money.

The DRM strategy as we know it is beneficial to no one but Microsoft and its partners. This statement is true based on the information you have given us. You can claim that miscommunications and disorganization led to dissemination of inaccurate rumors, but the truth of the matter is that the only time you've detailed any consumer benefit was AFTER you shut the DRM down. We also had it on good insider authority that those claims regarding game sharing were complete bullshit and you're lying to us. All the "facts" you attempted to detail to consumers were completely contradictory during the period of time immediately following the initial announcement. Every further clarification only led to further confusion as your company continued to contradict itself. Repeatedly. These are not signs of miscommunications. These are signs of a critical lack of vision and fundamental misunderstanding of your target audience and it shows.

Right now Sony is assaulting you with precision strikes in the market that matters the most during launches, the core gamer audience. You need to buckle the fuck down and figure out what your product is, and who it's for. Right now I can't figure out who this product is for, or why anyone should want it. If it's for the hardcore gamer what are the benefits of paying for XBL over PSN+? You're entering a new generation and Sony is catching up significantly. Voice chat is no longer an appropriate answer. You've failed to clarify on the future of the Games With Gold promotion. At first it was temporary, now it's not? The offerings have been substandard when compared to PS+ over the period of time since it was first announced. Your product is no longer the preferred place to play multiplatform titles and you have virtually no first party resources to draw from. The last entry of your largest IP, halo, was not received well by it's audience and you've lost a chunk of your third party exclusive content over the past generation. As a consumer why should I believe that this won't happen again? Why should I, as a gamer, buy a Xbox One when judging by your track record you've nearly abandoned the 360 halfway through it's life and let a massive series like Mass Effect go multiplatform. It seems to me like this will probably happen again and most major titles I can just wait for.

/end rant

fantastic post. Nearly makes me want to grab it and make a thread out of it.

Atilac

Microsoft is fucking stupid. That's the point everyone is losing in this anti-consumer rant that started when MS announced the vision for the Xbox One to begin with.

They'd fail miserably by not having sales. The thing is that retail is too important right now, and they can't always undercut retail by digital sales and keep both markets happy.

The One's original plan would have allowed them to rely less on retail, and thus cut out the middle man.

There's really no real retail to piss off with PC games... it's not the competition on the PC market that is the only thing driving digital sales.. it's no middle man.. no physical disks... just bandwidth and keys.

If MS didn't adapt, they'd be dead. Why people think MS would have been inflexible with pricing is being naive.

You have no clue how a business operates or how economics work. Never in the history of the world has a closed system without competition led to a decrease in prices, it does the exact opposite.

/end rant

Forget Gies and Sessler. Microsoft, hire this man. You need someone that pulls no punches and tells it like it is.

Nice post Foxix. In the interest of full disclosure, though, I did hit the quote button to ensure that there was no email tag hidden in that message.

oVerde

Banned
When MS you have a full working integrated online echosystem populated with good policies and cross integration and all that jazz.. you can talk about it, and you know when? well.. no one knows.

For now, keep delivering good games and you may profit as you need and regain your crowd.

1)
Hey you know what, they can still go all digital right now. They can screw retailers right now. They can go with no always online requirement, no ridiculous DRM and price their games like Steam right now. No one is stopping them from doing that..

2) No middle man = lower prices, right?
Then please explain the pricing of age old call of duty games on steam and Blizzard SC2/Diablo 3 games to me right now.

Why not have both digital and physical so everyone is happy? We are not there yet with internet speed and hard drive capacity. If digital was more reasonably priced, I think it would be more appealing to most people.

Microsoft, who is this product for? On the surface you seem to be approaching this device as a jack of all trades type of console. The problem is that the title of "jack of all trades" implies a level of competency in these services that is glaringly absent from your strategy. You lack vision. Period. Stop making excuses. Stop blaming the consumers.

/end rant

Does anything else need to be said after this?

Lynn616

I would love to go all digital. Problem is dont want to download those massive files and I would like to still get my cheap Amazon discs. Seems Microsoft's system would have done just that.

MasterRain

Neo Member
I think MS were ahead of their time. However they didn't get the positives out there, and instead the internet exploded with the negatives.

I think when people want the positives an all digital future brings, but realise that requires online checks and no trade in, they might understand MS better. Obviously MS had profit in mind, they are a freaking company and i'm sure Sony would do they same, however there were positives and the future is coming.

Brannon

Well the Xbox division has lost a lot of money. The conspiracy theorist in me would not be surprised if a small faction of elite members within MS are trying to sabotage the division so that it would be easier to sell it off or spin it off from MS proper. Going as far as to wreck the Halo franchise so that it would be easier for fans to let go and drift toward the competition, damaging Live numbers. CBOAT could even be part of it!

But then Occam's Razor comes into play, and yeah, maybe they are being just that incompetent.

And that's messed up.

Tagyhag

He's absolutely right by the way.

Look at Steam, it's infinitely more superior than Xbox Live and PSN, but they did things right.

Was that how it was in the beginning? No, it was complete crap. But despite being universally hated, Valve didn't back down and they now have the service that came out, a service which sees about 2-3 games on average being released literally every weekday.

Their online-only is definitely going to be the future, but not everyone is ready for that. But yes, that's the way consoles will head one day. You can only hold off progress for so long.

The day the E3 2013 Xbox One comes to pass for all consoles is the day I stop being a gamer. I have no interest in having one company dictating how I can play games, a hobby. Whether it was having the all seeing and knowing Kinect camera on at all times, dialing home every day like I'm under house arrest, or merely renting my games for $60. I just have no interest in that future.

Im guessing you mean the reveal 20,days earlier, not E3.

DirtyLarry

I have been a member here, primarily a lurker for the first 2.5 years, since 2010.

Main reason I have stuck around is not only the golden entertainment, but the knowledge that a decent amount of members here clearly possess.

The only reason I share the above is to put some perspective on the following statement...

Foxix's post is the most critical, yet most honest and spot-on, assessment of any one particular situation that I have ever read on these forums.

No bullshit, it is brilliant.

Kudos.

All you people that seem to be so good at predicting whats "the future" please pass on next weeks Euromillions numbers.

I find it bizarre you are so adamant the only option consumers will have is online only consoles except some very very very far flung future.

Especailly when it took so long for basic things like HDTV to be adopted across the board. And that only requires you buying a new television set, not a massive restructure of online infrastructure around the world.

Microsoft, who is this product for? On the surface you seem to be approaching this device as a jack of all trades type of console. The problem is that the title of "jack of all trades" implies a level of competency in these services that is glaringly absent from your strategy. You lack vision. Period. Stop making excuses. Stop blaming the consumers.

/end rant

damn i agree with you

/end rant

Fantastic Post.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Internet Activists never cease to amaze me.

I can't wait for the day I don't have to deal with Disks.

For the bajillionth time, Microsoft, what you were planning wasn't an all-digital future.

What you were planning was fucking with physical retail. And people knew exactly what you were trying to do.

And comments like this inspire no confidence that you won't still try and do it.

Jackson

But despite Blockbuster's closure, Blu-Ray and DVD copies of movies are still being manufactured. I can still buy/rent a physical copy of a new release movie.

You can also buy CDs, but no one does that. In fact now mp3s are dying in favor of cloud services (which is why iTunes is moving toward that).

Games will go digi mainstream. We're more than half way there now. Even Nintendo's eShop is picking up. Eventually it'll all be cloud based. Probably 10+ years away.

As long as someone decent buys it, I'd be ok with this. Microsoft has lost the plot.

No-one would buy it. The only companies that are big enough to buy a division of its size aren't going to be interested in something that is so tied to Microsoft's products and has lost far, far more money than it's made. If they sell it, it'll be broken up into parts and sold separately.

Anyway, excellent post, Foxix. Hats off to you.

Internet Activists never cease to amaze me.

I can't wait for the day I don't have to deal with Disks.

You can do that right fucking now and it doesn't involve any bullshit DRM.

Maxim726X

**Microsoft Evisceration**

That about sums it up.

Instead of pretending like we really wanted this and weren't ready, how about you really figure out why the gamers you claim you cater to feel?

They still think this is what we really wanted. It's hard to fathom.

Microsoft should have stuck with its vision if it truly believed in it.

Apple hit a nerve years ago when it launched the MacBook Air without an optical drive. Many people were upset, but the company had a product and a vision of the future it believed in and worked to make it reality.

Microsoft never had an honest conversation with customers because its message was muddled from the get go. No one knew who was being honest and who wasn't, and the features Microsoft decided to promote were not targeted at its core audience. It was a mess.

I'm tired of Microsoft treating me as if I were just too stupid to "get" its plan.

No thanks.

Drencrom

[...]

Best post i've read in a long time

Warablo

/end rant

This is spot on...

/end rant

Best post I've read this year.

Strike

/end rant
This has to be the post of the thread right here. With that said, it will be interesting to see how things play out between the big three this gen.

You can also buy CDs, but no one does that. In fact now mp3s are dying in favor of cloud services (which is why iTunes is moving toward that).

Games will go digi mainstream. We're more than half way there now. Even Nintendo's eShop is picking up. Eventually it'll all be cloud based. Probably 10+ years away.

Sure, but my point was that choice still exists in that market. Despite how I may come across throughout this thread, I love digital content and vastly prefer it to the physical, traditional disc product. However, I also think that Microsoft misjudged how ready and willing many console gaming consumers were to abandon the traditional rules of ownership. And my response to the post in question was meant to illustrate that traditional ways to purchase movies still exist. Perhaps the current transition to digital in film and music wouldn't be going so smoothly if it was a forced change as opposed to a system wherein consumers gradually opted for digital services over traditional mechanisms?

/end rant
This shit right here. Damn, what a beautiful post.

Top Bottom