• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade Kickstarter

SHAZOOM

Could it be even harder for them to sell ads now because the prime location for ads (the front page) is not available?

I think so, though maybe the PA forums are like Gaf and very active. Still, no front page can mean a reduction in perspective clients.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I was kidding. But I find his hatred to be almost irrational, as though he had personal reason to feel aggrieved.

Used to be a really big fan, disappointed they've slowly transitioned into opportunistic scumbags over the years. Probably not an uncommon sentiment across the internet.

Used to be a really big fan, disappointed they've slowly transitioned into opportunistic scumbags over the years. Probably not an uncommon sentiment across the internet.

Yeah, fuckin' scumbags, always offering their comic for free for anyone who doesn't feel like paying for it. They used to have morals.

Oh they'll be back. They'll take the cries of their fans with frytakemymoney.jpg posts and have like a fucking calvacade of separate Kickstarters. Lookouts Kickstarter, Automata Kickstarter, Strip Search Season Two Kickstarter, iOS Penny Arcade App Kickstarter, Twisp & Catsby Kickstarter.

I wonder if they will do that, it's pretty devious. Like I said on the last page, I'd shell out a few bucks for a well-designed iOS/ Android archive of all of the comics and blog posts, but I couldn't care less about their show or original projects. After the reaction to this Kickstarter I think a series of six over the next year wouldn't be worth the bad PR.

jcm

They've got slightly more time to work on the real good projects (Lookouts was fantastic) and they're now less dependant on ad dollars, so it gives them more freedom in terms of content.

I don't believe even of those statements are true. They still have to sell ads, and they still have to not piss off advertisers. Nothing at all has changed, except that users won't see the ads on a single page. If the goals were really to overcome the constraints of ad-supported content then it was a miserable failure. If the goal was to put a bunch of money into PA's account, then it was a success.

For the record, I don't hate rich people, and I don't have any idea who Matthew Potter is.

Could it be even harder for them to sell ads now because the prime location for ads (the front page) is not available?
Ha. It would be ironic if ad sales took even more resources now than it used to.

Tarrasque

Banned
Here's how it pisses everyone off. Guys like these, who have a ton of money end up taking the spotlight away from people actually trying to raise that what, $1000-5000 to actually get their businesses STARTED.

Kickstarter doing this is a major f*** up in my book, giving a multimillion dollar a year operation the rights to raise funds from their mouth foaming fans with awful incentives. Why couldn't the PA folks have just done it directly through their website, put a donation button there?

Now that this precedent has been set, I'm really looking forward to a bunch of corporations heading to Kickstarter to fund their 'indie projects.' Enjoy your single ad free page guys, hope you regret supporting that moneygrab later.

FStop7

Banned
Congratulations Internet on giving two millionaires another half mil to do absolutely nothing they wouldn't have done anyhow.

OTIX

Here's how it pisses everyone off. Guys like these, who have a ton of money end up taking the spotlight away from people actually trying to raise that what, $1000-5000 to actually get their businesses STARTED.
They've gotten thousands of new people to make accounts and get their feet wet on Kickstarter. That first step is always by far the hardest so I'm pretty sure this has been a net gain for the other projects on there. There are really no losers here, except maybe if someone regrets their donation after the fact but I would find it very hard to feel sorry for them.

Coolwhip

Banned
Hah, so because they raised half, they are going to remove one block or something (never visit their site). Helpful? Especially when a big part of their audience uses adblock.

Hero

They used to make fun of games and game companies but they're so involved with the industry now it's usually the opposite. Take the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco as a recent example.

web01

This has to be the most ridiculous kick starter I have seen yet.
Anyone who donated to this is an absolute dick head.
If you have free money to give away donate to charity ffs.

How dare people pay money to see something they want happen and get some rewards in the process

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

haha shut up.

Unless all of your disposable income goes to charity (which it doesn't).

People find weird shit to spend their fun money on. If this gives people warm fuzzies, who gives a shit? I'm not paying for it, you don't have to either. The owners are clever and the site is now ad free if it works. It's a win for everyone (except the people funding it I guess but a fool and their money etc)

Typo in the last panel?

i-2rjnqgp-X3.jpg

Top Bottom