• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer combatless rpg

Teslerum

Some additional context why the setting was chosen: Sawyer has studied European History and IIRC wrote his thesis on witch burnings. He's talked about making a historical game using his knowledge for ages.

Last edited:
It does look interesting, but the way they did the text massively reduces my interest. Like going from grey to black like that just makes it annoying to read, and considering dialogue will play a major part in the game I don't know if I'll be motivated to put up with that decision

tommib

This looks super interesting. Great art and should be super historically accurate. Can’t wait for this, really.

The_hunter

This is the disco elysium style game josh sawyer was working on? I thought it was a random indie game. Interest is piqued, the puzzles looked good.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Never gonna be Kingdom Come Deliverance

Daniel_V%C3%A1vra_SJK.png
Good thing they're not even remotely trying to then, eh?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Kinda looks like Yes Your Grace.

Promotional_image_%22Yes_Your_Grace%22.jpg

Kind of an Oregon Trail inspired game. I enjoyed it so I hope they do something similar with Pentiment.

Last edited:

Teslerum

As Sawyer explains it, Pentiment follows a medieval artist named Andreas Maler, an educated journeyman who's near to becoming a master artist. While visiting an abbey to make an illuminated manuscript, a monk who is also Andreas' friend and mentor is accused of a murder he claims he didn't commit. Since no one else steps in to solve the case, Andreas dedicates himself to finding the real killer.

Sawyer tells us that key to Pentiment is that it never explicitly tells you who the murderer really is. Andreas will have to decide who he thinks committed the murder, or at least who he thinks should be punished for it even if it isn't the actual murderer. And those decisions will ripple out through the rest of Pentiment, which covers a span of around 25 years and multiple crimes and murders that Andreas keeps getting caught up in.

CitizenZ

Banned
JS is one of the greatest ever to code RPGs and no matter what he does(though I doubt we would be friends) I will play and def. enjoy.

Last edited:
Definitely not what I was expecting, but it looks so unique from any game I've ever seen that I am very interested. Plus, I love quirky history.

Not my thing, but Obsidian has had some luck with their passion projects.
Grounded would most likely never have got a go but they let it happen and it's a big hit for what it cost to make.
Maybe this will be similar.

This is a game I would have completely ignored were it not for Obsidian. Obsidian is the only reason I'm bothering to look into and understand this game, and I'm glad I did. It's something different and I welcome that.

Pretty much the way it plays is you make choices and decisions based on a set of options the game gives you, mostly starting with dictating your background, lifestyle, to how you choose to investigate murders. And depending on the conversational choices you make, it will dictate what direction the game takes, the choices available to you throughout the game. So how you investigate, how you question people, who you accuse, who you choose to investigate, all of it is connected.

A Narrative RPG basically lol.

https://www.obsidian.net/news/obsidian/obsidian-entertainment-announces-pentiment

Give the site a read.

ITPlFQK.jpg

KDNicnv.jpg

The site provides a better description. They also basically provide a small update on Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed.

We are aware that fans of our studio are also excited for Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2. Our teams are chugging away on both games and when we are ready to show them off, trust us, we will.

JqiDBjJ.png

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Low budget/very small passion project. Might not be yours, but I think it looks very interesting.

I thought Pentiment was something different, not sure which game I had it confused with, but this doesn't really excite me at all.

begotten

I wasn't sold on this when I first watched it, but now I think the art-style is really nice and crisp. Can already tell it's going to have a lot of clever gameplay and mechanics weaved into the story.

Naked Lunch

This game isnt going to set the world on fire but it looks pretty unique. Very intriguing.
I love seeing period pieces in games - especially from eras you dont normally see.
Cool that its set over the course of 25 years.
Also, that key art with the guy's head in smoke is just awesome.

Top Bottom