• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People downplaying PS5 I/O bandwidth fail to realize that 16GB of RAM is a small upgrade from last Gen & the SSD is going to be it's life line

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

The trips to the SSD is going to be frequent & nothing like before when you load a level into RAM then play the level. Next Gen consoles will be moving data from the SSD on a frame by frame bases.

Sony made sure to get a higher bandwidth than what was on the market before PCIe 4.0 so it's clear that they plan to make games that would choke on a PCIe 3.0 system. It's going to be fun to see what PS5 games will look like because devs making PS5 games don't have to worry about the limits of PCIe 3.0 when creating the games

Video shows that PCIe 4.0 benefit the 4GB card more than it does the 8GB card with games made for today PC's but the same thing will happen when games are being made for the PS5 that need more than 16GB & need to stream data from the SSD.

Dr.D00p

Can we finally stop pretending that ssd can replace ram? :messenger_confounded:

GDDR6 is ~450 GB/s PS5 SSD with all the magic included at best scenario is only a pathetic ~9 GB/s ...

True, but the PS5 SSD will likely only have to supply relatively small amounts of data to the game engine at a time, probably no more than a few GB, even less if the developers are clever about how they stream assets in & out of their game worlds.

Ar¢tos

It will make things easier for devs, but in the end the result will be the same. Devs will just spend less time optimizing SSD <-> Ram because of the extra speed, outside of 1st games, nobody will take advantage of it (and even in those, what real noticeable advantages can we really expect that wouldn't be possible at half of the speed?).

Night.Ninja

Banned
giphy.gif

jts

...hate me...
The biggest upgrade is from regular HDD to SSD baseline going to a new generation. Compared to that, the Xbox/PS5 SSD difference is nearly irrelevant for the amounts of data moved nowadays. And yet that’s what the discussions have been all about.

IF games took like a minute to load on PS5, then it’s fair that it would be significantly faster loading than the Xbox, which would take 2 minutes.

If games take 2 seconds to load on the PS5, they take 4 on the Xbox. If it takes an instant on PS5, 2 instants on the Xbox. Virtually no difference.

Same goes for every other operation dependent on SSD speed and that’s very fast on the PS5. They will also be very fast on the Xbox. The SSD speed advantage on the PS5 will only pay off and make a significant difference in long running operations, not on fast or nearly instant ones.

onQ123

A big part of that revolves around the addition of a solid-state drive (SSD). We have reached the upper limits of traditional rotational drive performance, so the team knew they needed to invest in SSD level I/O speeds to deliver the quality of experience they aspired to with Xbox Series X. This was an area where the team really wanted to innovate, and they knew this could be a game changer for the new generation. But they didn’t want the I/O system to be just about your games loading faster.

Enter Xbox Velocity Architecture, which features tight integration between hardware and software and is a revolutionary new architecture optimized for streaming of in game assets. This will unlock new capabilities that have never been seen before in console development, allowing 100 GB of game assets to be instantly accessible by the developer. The components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture all combine to create an effective multiplier on physical memory that is, quite literally, a game changer.

XboxSeriesXTech_Inline7.jpg

“The CPU is the brain of our new console and the GPU is the heart, but the Xbox Velocity Architecture is the soul,” said Andrew Goossen, Technical Fellow on Xbox Series X at Microsoft. “The Xbox Velocity Architecture is about so much more than fast last times. It’s one of the most innovative parts of our new console. It’s about revolutionizing how games can create vastly bigger, more compelling worlds.”

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-tech/

Cfjuzb0.png

pawel86ck

Banned
40x speed increase between HDD and SDD will make drastic difference for sure, but there's always a point of diminnishing returns, so right now I'm not so sure if 2x faster SDD will make a drastic difference. At the end of the day, developers will still have 13.5GB available to them and they cant use all available memory for streaming.

But thanks for the video, I'm surprised PCIe 4.0 makes such HUGE difference. I thought when GPU will run ouf of VRAM nothing will help, but it looks like PCIe 4.0 is fast enough.

Zaffo

It sure has been nice being a PC player and having access to SSD technology for more than a decade.

joe_zazen

Unfortunatelly PC SDDs are extremely bottlenecked (because of decompression speed bottleneck there's no difference between slow and fast SDD) so what we will see in next gen consoles will be still a revolutionary technology.

Flipping between next gen exclusive super high speed ssd designed games and slow hdd or ssd designed games will hurt. it will show folks how actual game design is affected by weakest baseline hardware. Lets hope lockhart isn't total shit.

onQ123

40x speed increase between HDD and SDD will make drastic difference for sure, but there's always a point of diminnishing returns, so right now I'm not so sure if 2x faster SDD will make a drastic difference. At the end of the day, developers will still have 13.5GB available to them and they cant use all available memory for streaming.

But thanks for the video, I'm surprised PCIe 4.0 makes such HUGE difference. I thought when GPU will run ouf of VRAM nothing will help, but it looks like PCIe 4.0 is fast enough.

It will depend on the game & where it's bottle-necked most games from today need more than 4GBs so with the 4GB card the game needed the main memory to make up for the low VRAM so the faster PCIe 4.0 made a bigger difference but with the 8GB card most games didn't need to pull from the main RAM as much so the difference was small but even then there was a big boost in Fortnite . Next Gen games will be using the SSD to stream data to make up for the small jump in VRAM so it's going to make a bigger difference ,

We also benchmarked ASRock AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Taichi X 8G OC+ in Fortnite, which is not a demanding game, but it is very popular. Fortnite's DirectX 12 implementation is in beta stage, and the results are going to change in time. We noticed an improvement in the average number of FPS up to 44% on the 1080p resolution, and up to 27% on the 1440p resolution.

pcie_8.png

Except Fortnite, we did not notice significant improvements in the number of frames per second rendered while playing games. In most games, you get up to 4% higher frame rates, when using PCIe 4 instead of PCIe 3. In some games, there is no difference between the two versions of PCIe.

Zaffo

Unfortunatelly PC SDDs are extremely bottlenecked (because of decompression speed bottleneck there's no difference between slow and fast SDD) so what we will see in next gen consoles will be still a revolutionary technology.

Yeah everybody in the computing industry is holding their breath, waiting to see what an SSD in built to a price point of 500 bucks game box is going to do to the world.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
PS5 SSD contains the vaccine for COVID-19. It contains nanotech created with CRISPR technology that will send nano machines to modify your genes and make you naturally immune to the disease. The database contained within the SSD is updated whenever a new epidemic is discovered. Cerny will get Nobel Prize in Medicine for PS5.

Last edited:

onQ123

PS5 SSD contains the vaccine for COVID-19. It contains nanotech created with CRISPR technology that will send nano machines to modify your genes and make you naturally immune to the disease. The database contained within the SSD is updated whenever a new epidemic is discovered. Cerny will get Nobel Prize in Medicine for PS5.

It contains that ether that shit that make your soul burn slow

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The proposition makes sense.

Why does a console need 8 GB of RAM, let alone 16 GB?

Buffer pool, that's why. It's too slow to load assets from a platter HDD or -- even worse -- directly from the disc.

But if the system loads assets more-or-less directly from the storage drive and the storage drive is fast enough, the total amount of RAM needed goes down drastically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom