• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People shouldnt get so hung up on release dates (P.S. Thorn of Emberlain dated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I just found out that The Thorn of Emberlain, the fourth book in the Gentleman Bastards Sequence by Scott Lynch, has been officially scheduled for a September release. This is one of my favorite current fantasy series. It's about a thief called Locke Lamora, who pulls off some of the most brilliant and entertaining heists in fantasy literature, all set in a pretty uniquely dark world. The series begins with "The Lies of Locke Lamora" and while it's sequels haven't been considered to live up to the greatness of the first entrance by most (including me), I feel the entire series is really excellent. The thing is that while each book includes some kind of clever dickery, every book does something different. Book 1 centers on a revenge plot, book 2 is a pirate story, while Book 3 is a romance novel. I think if you go with the expectation that each book will be something truly different, you'll appreciate the excellence the sequels offer much more for not doing what Book 1 does, even if you still think 1 is the best. And with book 4, it looks like we're getting a war story....

But I didn't actually make his topic just to plug a great fantasy series. This was a pretty nice surprise to me. Book 3 had released in July 2014, so it's a 2 year and change wait. But Book 2 had been released in 2008, making the wait between 2 and 3 something like 6 years. So I had been expecting the wait to be atleast another 2 years if not more, which would have been something I wouldn't have minded at all, which is not the reaction I see to most authors that take more time. But this made me think of GRRM and Rothfuss, who are both 4 or 5 years out on the next books to their series and still no word of how long it will take to finish. I'm a huge fan of all these authors and you can be sure that I'll be reading their next work the moment they release. But when I look at most fans here, I don't see people actually happy or excited about the next books, I just see them bitter that they don't have them yet. Which is something I don't really find reasonable.

First, it often frames the authors in a perpetrator-like roles, like they are intentionally keeping you from getting the books either out of laziness or spite. I mean, we've all seen the accusations of laziness or disinterest or 'trolling' that GRRM gets just for not having Winds of Winter ready by now, especially since the show is officially spoiling future content. Which I get to the extent that this was something I didn't want to happen and wish wasn't the case, but it's also not something I consider to be GRRM's fault. There is nothing to suggest that GRRM has been anything but trying the best he could to finish the series and get everything out, but he doesn't want to release anything that he doesn't believe is ready. And even if you believe the quality of the books isn't up to snuff to when he was releasing them in a more timely manner with (a correlation people often like to bring up, as if it is evidence of some kind of causation), the problem with coming to any kind of conclusion is that the creation process he goes through is closed to us, so it's impossible to know his actual schedule. True, he might be not working as much as he can...but he could also be working like a workhorse in trying to write the series, putting it 80 hours a week. The only actual insight we have is that every day that passes means he's not satisfied with the final product and the day that he says it's done is when he is with satisfied with it. Besides that, and his handful of broad talks about his process, we don't actually have information of how much he does. And if there is anything certain about the creative process, it's that it works differently for everyone. He's hardly the only author (or hell, only artist in general) that is slow in finalizing his work, while other authors are fast.

That's the first issue I see, inconsideration. The second is a kind of entitlement. I mean, whats the actual reasoning that you need or should have the book now? This is something that I thought about a lot. Do authors actually 'owe' the fans something. In some cases, like if fans pay in advance for a product ala Kickstarter, then yes, but the only circumstance, and as far as I know, no author has done something like that. In every case, they make a book, and we pay them for that book. If we like the book and want to see the sequel, that's fantastic, but is that emotional investment in the characters of that book necessarily automatic investment in the next book? That's arguable, I guess, but for me, no. Again, caring is great, but it's not tangible, so I don't think that translates to being entitled to a tangible product. "I care about your product, therefore I am owed it (or the opportunity to by it anyway)." isn't something that logically follows to me. But again, it's a sentiment I see often brought up in threads about it, and it carries a tone of resentment, as if the author is late on giving everyone their dues. No, when he wrote a book, you paid for it, and got it, and that was the end of it. Having respect for him or having emotional investment in the characters is not something anyone that entitles anyone to more of his work, however much they may want it.

And really, what is the harm that is being done that you don't have the book you want now? A lot of people are worried about GRRM dying and never getting their story ended (which, again, isn't something I feel GRRM can help, as there's no reason to think he isn't working as much as is reasonable already and that the book might just more difficult to get right as such things happen when stories grow to have more and more storylines), but that's not the case for many other authors. So...is it really that unreasonable to be asked to wait? (as an aside, I also find it depressing that if GRRM were to die that people would be thinking "Shit, I'm never going to get the end of the story" instead of "Shit, that man wrote some great stories that will stay with me")

The general point I'm trying to make here is that I don't think agonizing over the release dates of stuff is something that is positive for anyone. It makes a person feel bitter to the author, authors get weary of being nagged about their next books, I don't see it as reasonable and even if it were, complaining endlessly is not going to change anything. The wait for each release becomes is less pleasant the more you focus on it, like how time only goes slower if you concentrate on watching the clock as time moves, and it always puts a negative vibe to the discussion being had when it's brought up. Why anyone would put themselves through that when they don't have to?

I do it by just finding other stuff to read. At this point, I've accumulated over a hundreds books, comics, movies, tv shows, and games all to occupy my time, so if GRRM and Rothfuss and Lynch were to take another 5 years, so what? All that means is that I have more time to read more books before getting to theirs. I'm completely fine with that. As long as I have more stuff to read, especially if it's good, I could wait as long as it takes. And if it gets to the point where I actually need to reread the series to even remember what is going on for the new book, that's great, it means I get to experience what I loved before in a slightly newer way. I get a lot of pleasure rereading stories that I remember the broad strokes and not the details, and comparing my reactions from back then to now. And I don't think I lose any excitement or joy over the news of a new release when it is announced. Maybe you think you'll be more excited if you are agonizing over the release date, but when I saw that Thorn of Emberlain was releasing in a few months from now, I was pretty psyched even though I hadn't thought of the series in a while.

I feel I'm just rambling as I'm somewhat sleep deprived, but it's something I've wanted to discuss for a while. If there is any actual benefit to bitching about how an author hasn't released a book yet, I don't really see it. I'm not going to say I haven't done it, because it being an irrational reaction doesn't stop it from being understandable, human reaction. You want something and you're not going to get it, it's natural to feel like crap about that. But it's never improved anything. Valve will release HL3 when they're good and ready, Miura will release Berserk as much as he feels is fit, and Winds of Winter and Doors of Stone and Peace Talks and many other stuff I want to have will come out in their due time, whatever that may be. In the meantime, I have probably a thousand hours of content in my backlog and it's continuously growing, so if I ever run out of things to do, period, and they still haven't released it, okay, then I'll complain. But in the meantime, I have so much to hold me over, and it's helped me a lot. I'd recommend everyone who is waiting on a new release to do the same.

Palmer_v1

... as there's no reason to think [GRRM] isn't working as much as is reasonable already

You clearly haven't heard about his writing habits.

Regardless of GRRM, there's a sort of social contract where an author wants fans to buy and enjoy their series so they can continue to write it, so it's pretty shitty if they betray that trust later on.

Veelk

Banned
You clearly haven't heard about his writing habits.

Please inform me then. Where has his schedule been posted, as I clearly missed it. If it's only writing 5 hours a week, yeah, maybe that's a bit unreasonable. Is that the case?

Regardless of GRRM, there's a sort of social contract where an author wants fans to buy and enjoy their series so they can continue to write it, so it's pretty shitty if they betray that trust later on.

That's not something I've ever heard of happening before. GRRM never stopped writing the series, he is just taking a long time to finish for reasons of "It just takes that long to get it right" as far as we know. No one I've ever heard of has ever quit a series because they didn't want to write it anymore, as far as I know. Maybe Stephanie Meyer with that Twilight from Edward's PoV, but that's it, and that's questionable as that is literally a remake of the same story just from a different PoV.

Also, writers often don't write just to sell a series. Like, the ideal is obviously that you want to sell the work you make, true. But I read about plenty of authors who wrote stories that they wrote because they wanted to write them, and weren't intending on selling them. For example, Slow Regard of Silent Things wasn't something Rothfuss thought would be sold, but his agent managed to convince him. And Jim Butcher has written many dresden files stories that won't see publication because they're either too long or too short or whatever. The thing people often miss is that writers often write for fun. It's perfectly possible that ASoIaF would have been written regardless of whether it would have been published. Being published was just the ideal.

Primus

Scott Lynch, who writes the Locke Lamora books, suffers from depression and has been very honest and open with his readers about it. Bouts of depression are what caused the gap between books 2 and 3, bouts so bad he almost quit writing altogether.

Here's an interview with him from last year, called "Depression is a Bastard".

Veelk

Banned
Scott Lynch, who writes the Locke Lamora books, suffers from depression and has been very honest and open with his readers about it. Bouts of depression are what caused the gap between books 2 and 3, bouts so bad he almost quit writing altogether.

Here's an interview with him from last year, called "Depression is a Bastard".

I follow him and I'm aware of his depression as well, and empathize with his struggle. But supposing he didn't have depression, and was merely struggling to put out a good story for 6 years without having a mental disease wearing him down, I'd be understanding of that as well. I don't feel it's fair to use his mental illness as a qualifier for why he hasn't put out something we're not entitled to in the first place, is what I'm saying.

Maledict

My issue with GRRM is that it's impossible to avoid spoilers for the next book thanks to the TV show. And I do mean impossible - newspapers have been putting huge spoilers on their front page here. So something I've been waiting to finish is being slowly ruined for me because all of the big plot points are already known, and no matter what I do you can't avoid seeing them.

Veelk

Banned
My issue with GRRM is that it's impossible to avoid spoilers for the next book thanks to the TV show. And I do mean impossible - newspapers have been putting huge spoilers on their front page here. So something I've been waiting to finish is being slowly ruined for me because all of the big plot points are already known, and no matter what I do you can't avoid seeing them.

Yeah, that's how I feel with that. But as I said, I have no reason to believe that GRRM did anything but try to get WoW done as fast he could have. I imagine he himself is kinda bummed that his show overtook his own books. He's talked about how, despite similarities, the books and show will be their own beasts like they are already, but I imagine it's got to eat at him atleast a little. But if the books aren't ready, then they're not ready.

My bigger issue is that he disclosed the series events to the show writers in the first place. He should have let them go in their own direction, ala FMA. The show's got talented writers (from what I heard, anyway. I stopped at season 3) they'd have gotten to a good ending regardless, I feel.

Catvoca

Banned
Totally agree! The Rothfuss books are some of my absolute favourites, but the way some of the fans treat him about the third book is awful. Like he'll post stuff about working on his charity and there will be a bunch of dicks just asking him to stop working on that and write his next book. I'm fine to wait on it anyway, his books are so deliberate it's the sort of thing you really can't rush.

Eumi

When people are excited and anticipating things, they want them now, or at least soon. When something is delayed it means there's more chance of you not caring by the time it is released, and that sucks. The idea that the author doesn't owe you anything is also something I don't quite agree with either. It doesn't matter how much of a personal thing writing is for them, when they are selling a book they are selling a product. When people learn that the product they are planning to purchase is going to be delayed, and that this is likely to dampen the experience they have with it, they have every right to be irritated. Books especially, since the longer between books the more details get lost to the reader as they forget parts of what they already read. When you're a professional author, it is part of your job to release books in a timely manner, and whilst it's not like they deserve any kind of punishment for failing to do so when they do fail it should not just be ignored because 'entitlement'.

I absolutely agree that people shouldn't be hugely angry and especially abusive towards authors and content creators for the time it takes to make books or movies or whatever medium it is.

Two of my favorite authors are authors are deceased, one a few years before I was born (Frank Herbert) and the other just last year (Terry Pratchett).

Frank Herbert died without finishing the Dune series of novels which is one of my favorites and I'll always be sad that I'll never get to read the conclusion written by him. His son took his notes and stuff and concluded the series, but was an inferior writer in every way and seemed to only care about milking the series for all it was worth. He wrote TWO prequel trilogies, then concluded the Dune series (which he broke into two books), and then wrote some interquel books that take place in between some of the original series books, and just finished up third prequel trilogy. I admit that I don't hate the prequel trilogies as shlocky as they are, but the writing compared to Frank Herbert isn't in the same league as Frank Herbert and it'll always hurt that he never had the chance to finish it himself.

Terry Pratchett's books were never really a series (kinda sub series, but the books don't really require sequels to work), just a lot of stories that took place in the same universe. I'm thankful that he wrote so many amazing books in the time he had but I'll always be sad he passed away relatively early due to Alzheimer's.

Realizing you'll never get something from a creator you love can be a heartbreaking thing, and I think the fear of that is what drives a lot of the aggression people feel when an author isn't writing fast enough for them. I know the internet makes it hard to do, but I do hope that most authors are able to avoid that vitriol and just do things at the pace they're able.

Veelk

Banned
I absolutely agree that people shouldn't be hugely angry and especially abusive towards authors and content creators for the time it takes to make books or movies or whatever medium it is.

Two of my favorite authors are authors are deceased, one a few years before I was born (Frank Herbert) and the other just last year (Terry Pratchett).

Frank Herbert died without finishing the Dune series of novels which is one of my favorites and I'll always be sad that I'll never get to read the conclusion written by him. His son took his notes and stuff and concluded the series, but was an inferior writer in every way and seemed to only care about milking the series for all it was worth. He wrote TWO prequel trilogies, then concluded the Dune series (which he broke into two books), and then wrote some interquel books that take place in between some of the original series books, and just finished up third prequel trilogy. I admit that I don't hate the prequel trilogies as shlocky as they are, but the writing compared to Frank Herbert isn't in the same league as Frank Herbert and it'll always hurt that he never had the chance to finish it himself.

Terry Pratchett's books were never really a series (kinda sub series, but the books don't really require sequels to work), just a lot of stories that took place in the same universe. I'm thankful that he wrote so many amazing books in the time he had but I'll always be sad he passed away relatively early due to Alzheimer's.

Realizing you'll never get something from a creator you love can be a heartbreaking thing, and I think the fear of that is what drives a lot of the aggression people feel when an author isn't writing fast enough for them. I know the internet makes it hard to do, but I do hope that most authors are able to avoid that vitriol and just do things at the pace they're able.

That sucks. I haven't read the Dune series, but it's in my backlog, and I've only heard good things about it. And I've been slowly digesting Pratchett's library since his death, as he was in my backlog when he was alive, but I never made as much headway as I liked (I had read Mort, Guards! Guards! and Good Omens by him when he was alive).

I totally understand what you are getting at. Artists occupy a slightly different sphere than producers of other products. They make art, and not just art, but the most significant form of art imo. While I don't believe in drawing conclusions about an author from their writing, reading their work does make a slightly greater connection to them than through other producers.

Which is why I try to make an effort to say I get it. I really do. If GRRM was to not finish his series, I'd be pretty heartbroken. But that fear is inspiring vitriol that I don't believe is appropriate, based on belief of an entitlement we don't really have. There is no social contract, as one user said. But there is a connection, and we all fear to lose it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Thorn of Emberlain is finally coming out? Nice!

Shame I will die from old age before Doors of Stone is released. :D

As for Peace Talks, I can wait since Butcher is always solid and he got sidetracked with his [IMO not really great] steampunk book.

Veelk

Banned
Thorn of Emberlain is finally coming out? Nice!

Shame I will die from old age before Doors of Stone is released. :D

As for Peace Talks, I can wait since Butcher is always solid and he got sidetracked with his [IMO not really great] steampunk book.

Jim Butcher is a machine of Sanderson measures, having put out a dresden novel almost every year, in some cases 2, almost every year. Skin game is the first that took him 2. I imagine Peace Talks isn't far off. They already released the first chapter somewhere.

Sucks you didn't like Cinder Spires, because I thought it was awesome, and a much stronger series opener than Dresden 1 was. Rowl was the shit.

If you don't want to wait for books, only read series that are already finished. There are plenty out there.

I wouldn't mind more people having Sandersons output though. That guy is crazy.

Catvoca

Banned
If you don't want to wait for books, only read series that are already finished. There are plenty out there.

You know there was as actually a good article about this a while ago, where some fantasy author was saying how people like GRRM delaying their books doesn't hurt the multi-million dollar author, it hurts the many smaller authors in the middle of their series which people won't start because "they've been burned before".

Veelk

Banned
You know there was as actually a good article about this a while ago, where some fantasy author was saying how people like GRRM delaying their books doesn't hurt the multi-million dollar author, it hurts the many smaller authors in the middle of their series who people want start because "they've been burned before".

Don't know if that's true, but if it is, that sucks, because the fact that GRRM isn't hurt by this is proof that people don't really care that they have to wait. Or, they care, sure, but they just want the story, and want to read the next book, and when they hear it's out, it's going to be big news.

Smaller authors won't get that publicity and will just be forgotten.

But it annoys me that people are so demanding of a finished series. Between a halfway done story and no story at all, I'd rather read the half story that I have. Half a loaf is better than none, you know. You're only making yourself miss out on good stuff if you avoid things just because they're not finished.

He's still not finished 1st draft. It won't come out this year.

When I said "Not far off", I was thinking 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom