• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People unhappy with DRM should give bad reviews to games with draconian DRMs on Steam

c0Zm1c

How will we ever give feedback to Playstation and XboX? Should we had written bad reviews for Prey on Steam because it didn't have the promised PRO enhacements on Playstation?

I'm not sure what the relevance of that is here since this is about Steam reviews and the impact of DRM on PC games on the Steam platform.

Budi

I would have to punch all my friends. They mock me for buying games, while they happily pirate them. And despite I try to convince them that pirating is bad, that it could make developers stop making games for PC or porting console games to PC, they get angry at me. It is annoying but I have accepted they are a lost cause.
Aaaw don't punch them though. I have few friends that often use these shady key sites and I don't hide my excitement when they get their game removed, only happened couple of times. It's hard to convince people to support the proper channels, when there are much cheaper alternatives (like free). Even after they've got burned already, if they haven't then it's pretty much impossible. I have few friends who also tease me about them pirating games, I don't think they really do actually pirate. But they know how I feel about it so they tease anyway.
I'm not sure what the relevance of that is here since this is about Steam reviews and the impact of DRM on PC games on the Steam platform.
Denuvo is considered to be anti-consumer, people voice their concerns. False advertising is considered to be anti-consumer and according to you people's best bet to reach Bethesda is through Steam reviews. So I'm curious if you think Steam reviews should be used for this too.

c0Zm1c

Absolutely awful games have sat between mixed-mostly negative and still sold thousands of copies. Extremely poorly optimized dogshit. See something like H1Z1 and Ark. I really don't think those reviews matter as much as some think they do. I agree that some consumer will take notice, but not the majority.

You're right that it's not very consistent. As a buyer, it always helps to dig a little deeper than just look at the overall rating, to expose the actual reasons a game is being rated down, and then judge whether it will be an issue to you. That goes without saying really.

In the case of H1Z1 and Ark, the player count for those games is very healthy. If those games are poorly optimised then it doesn't look like it's an issue that is affecting everyone. H1Z1 is still in early access so potential optimisation issues are to be expected.

Denuvo is considered to be anti-consumer, people voice their concerns. False advertising is considered to be anti-consumer and according to you people's best bet to reach Bethesda is through Steam reviews. So I'm curious if you think Steam reviews should be used for this too.

No, I don't think Steam reviews should be used for reviewing console games, although I actually have occasionally seen threads in Steam discussion boards asking questions about console versions; maybe some console gamers do think it's a place to go to be heard? ;)

I suppose we could expand this to talking about the consoles too, and where best to get that feedback noticed but that's something for a separate thread perhaps?

Edit: another thing to consider is that not everyone uses Twitter or Facebook, where as everyone who plays a Steam game uses Steam.

Budi

No, I don't think Steam reviews should be used for reviewing console games, although I actually have occasionally seen threads in Steam discussion boards asking questions about console versions; maybe some console gamers do think it's a place to go to be heard? ;)

I suppose we could expand this to talking about the consoles too, and where best to get that feedback noticed but that's something for a separate thread perhaps?

Edit: another thing to consider is that not everyone uses Twitter or Facebook, where as everyone who plays a Steam game uses Steam.
Sure, fair enough. But there's been so much discussion about giving negative reviews to games just for having Denuvo even when it didn't affect the person's experience with that specific game. Since some people have said that they even will buy it and refund it just to give it a negative review because of being anti-consumer.

Since OP even includes the line " If they want to be anti-consumer, we the consumers should fight back." I thought this issue could be discussed more broadly and not just regarding Denuvo. You said Steam reviews being the best way to rebel against publishers decisions, so I wondered how far people want to go with this. If I would follow the logic mentioned above where people leave negative reviews even without playing the game, I don't think it matters if the publisher is being anti-consumer with console version instead of PC. Since the review is solely based on the anti-consumerism. And the purpose is to just reach the publisher and try to give feedback/hurt them for their practises.

But you are right that separate topic for that could be better and it would probably spark more discussion about it, than being buried here.

Meffer

I disagree. Just don't buy it if you don't like the DRM. Bad reviews of a great game because of DRM is a bad solution.

Deveno actively affects the games they're used on and also your computer. So they're a part of the game. It should be considered in their reviews.

kubev

It would've been nice to be able to find the Sonic Mania reviews that contained gripes about the game play prior to purchasing it. Instead, I found pretty much nothing about DRM complaints, so the reviews ultimately didn't help me at all. If you have that much of an issue with DRM *and* were actually intending to buy the game, then I don't mind the DRM-centric reviews, but stuff like this really does make reviews significantly less useful for a lot of people.

By the way, I really wish people would stop using the word "draconian" to describe DRM. Until the DRM or the company implementing it is selling you into slavery or sentencing you to death, then I really don't think the term fits. Do some research on the origin of the term.

Nzyme32

NO.

I'm not going to buy the game just to protest it and refund it. I rather just not buy the game. Vote with your wallet etc

NO.

I'm not going to buy the game just to protest it and refund it. I rather just not buy the game. Vote with your wallet etc

Voting with your wallet sends the wrong message, though, that the game is simply not wanted.

If you want them to stop using anti-consumer practices, you need them to know that's the exact reason they're losing sales.

Minsc

Gold Member
Voting with your wallet sends the wrong message, though, that the game is simply not wanted.

If you want them to stop using anti-consumer practices, you need them to know that's the exact reason they're losing sales.

Yup, skipping a game because of DRM simply sends a message to stop producing more games for the platform. If that's your goal (to simply not have games created), then you're succeeding when you don't buy a game you'd otherwise like to play because of DRM.

To further expand, a person who does not purchase a game matters very little to a company, however a person who buys a game and returns it for some reason matters much, much more to them.

Top Bottom