• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People wondering why F:NV is better than F4 despite looking like crap

Cyberpunkd

Because you have writing like this:

Christine, her mission complete, found new purpose as the Sierra Madre's warden. She watched over it silently - by choice. Over time, the ghost people came to see her as one of the Holograms. They would watch, silently, as she walked among them. At times, Christine thought of the Courier, who had kept Elijah's hand from her throat. The Courier reminded her of the other courier she had met in the Big Empty, and wondered if the two had found each other at last. She did not think of them again until she heard the legends of the Divide. The Divide, where the two messengers, the two couriers, fought beneath an ancient flag, at the edge of the world.

Fallout 4 has very, very little of that, a flashes of what "could have been".

That's my contribution, don't forget to click and subscribe.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What "people" are you talking about? It's quite clear that NV is better than 4, unless you really like games like Borderlands maybe.

Bethesda going the "lets appeal to the casuals" route is so sad, first with Skyrim and then with Fallout 4. They really don't know their audience.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why the fuck do magazines/manuals or whatever shit you read only buff your given stat temporarily in NV before being gone? Why couldn't they make them drugs or some other shit raising your perception or making you less shaky or whatever applies if they wanted it to be temporary like that?🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Bethesda going the "lets appeal to the casuals" route is so sad, first with Skyrim and then with Fallout 4. They really don't know their audience.
Given the success of Elder Scrolls and Fallout I think they know their audience very well. I still consider Morrowind and New Vegas (and original Fallouts) the best games.
Why the fuck do magazines/manuals or whatever shit you read only buff your given stat temporarily in NV before being gone?
AFAIK all magazines found permanently boost a given skill by 10.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Given the success of Elder Scrolls and Fallout I think they know their audience very well.
Agree but I'd say they've found a new one rather than appeal to their old one, but yeah, good for them.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
ctu1Evl-FYiURjDcAVc7_xIQ3RPd58IN7xyaYG38VKs.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Given the success of Elder Scrolls and Fallout I think they know their audience very well. I still consider Morrowind and New Vegas (and original Fallouts) the best games.

AFAIK all magazines found permanently boost a given skill by 10.
There are 2 types of Books / magazines: Permanent and Temporary. Temporary books / mags give you +10 of a certain skill for 60 seconds. Permanent books will give you +3 to a certain skill permanently, or +4 if you have the Comprehension perk. Googling a bit further says that the books are super rare (4 per skill in the whole game?) and give the permanent buffs while the more plentiful magazines are temporary boosts. Idk how accurate this information is but the wearing off miffed me playing, especially since I don't think it's indicated (or I just didn't expect it from a magazine) before use.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Even gameplay wise f4 is the worst, bulletsponge enemys that cant be nerfed (no mod can balance it without insta kill headshots) fuck fo4

Laptop1991

Fallout 4's problem was for RPG fans was there wasn't any RPG in the game really, it's a shooter with base building, i like it but could only replay it with some of the big mods that came out in recent years, but New Vegas is on a different level branching, overlapping storywise, and the way the world reacts to what you do, Fallout 4 has better shooting mechanics, and looks better, that's it, i still like the game, but it was disappointing rpg wise.

Last edited:

Zathalus

New Vegas is the better game, but Fallout 4 certainly has better gameplay. Titans of The New West and a few others really makes New Vegas much better in that department though.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Even gameplay wise f4 is the worst, bulletsponge enemys that cant be nerfed (no mod can balance it without insta kill headshots) fuck fo4
Call to fuck down 🤣
The game was the worst game tho
But still ok.

Kssio_Aug

What "people" are you talking about? It's quite clear that NV is better than 4, unless you really like games like Borderlands maybe.

Yeah, I think most people that played Fallout 3 and New Vegas realized that one of the biggest issues with Fallout 4 was the writing, how much it was simplified in general.

Dialogues were streamlined with fewer and shorter choices, it had less complex character development, story was less nuanced, etc.

I do think it's still a great game though, just not up to the standards of NV and 3.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I mean, are there even anyone wondering why it's better. If you're just a little bit interested in that game you probably know who made it, and why they were considered good at what they did.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Unpopular opinion I'm sure. But I far preferred FO4 simply because the core gunplay feels so much better. I found NV very clunky to play. Wasn't a fan of FO3 either. To each their own.

RedC

Funny enough, I watched this video yesterday that goes over it in general and specifically highlights the differences between Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4.

Nvzman

Unpopular opinion I'm sure. But I far preferred FO4 simply because the core gunplay feels so much better. I found NV very clunky to play. Wasn't a fan of FO3 either. To each their own.
I think that this is a pretty common opinion, at least that Fallout 4 plays dramatically better than NV and 3. The problem with 4 is more that it kind of sucks as an actual RPG. New Vegas genuinely amazes me at how open ended it is and it's easily the best game in the 3D era for actually role-playing. You basically can do whatever you want and the game just somehow works.
For example, the final mission I didn't even have to kill the enemy of the story; I spec'd my character out in speech and charisma so much that I was just able to talk him out of fighting me, and he instead ran away. Despite no blood being drawn, it was still immensely satisfying.

Filben

What’s a fun build to go for in New Vegas? Never played melee so I’m tempted.
Low intelligence, low speech and fail every speech skill check. It's so funny. Because in difference to Fallout 3 where you have fixed answers and roll the dice, the answers themselves in New Vegas change depending you pass that check or not. Not passing these checks often gives totally ridiculous answers. There's even an ingame achievement for failed speech checks. I'd install some mods that remove that skill check tag for more immersion. Sometimes I wonder if that dialogue option actually passes that check or not because of the whacky dialogues. Of course you'd have to like Fallout's humour to begin with. But if you do, it's great.

Melee is fun when heads and limbs starts to explode! Just skill Endurance and Agility. Should give you plenty HP for close combat and melee bonus (Strength is for unarmed combat).

There are 2 types of Books / magazines: Permanent and Temporary. Temporary books / mags give you +10 of a certain skill for 60 seconds. Permanent books will give you +3 to a certain skill permanently, or +4 if you have the Comprehension perk. Googling a bit further says that the books are super rare (4 per skill in the whole game?) and give the permanent buffs while the more plentiful magazines are temporary boosts. Idk how accurate this information is but the wearing off miffed me playing, especially since I don't think it's indicated (or I just didn't expect it from a magazine) before use.
I love this mechanic. Magazines are great if you need to pass a certain skill check in a dialogue (in Vanilla New Vegas you'll see how many points you need on any given skill check in dialogues) or if you want to repair or sell in bulk and want to boost your stat for that instance. But like in real life, what we read is often soon forgotten so back to two left hands after 60 seconds passed after reading "Fixin' things!".

Last edited:

Danknugz

both games only become fun when you can leverage some exploit to get a super overpowered dude who can run around in a loincloth destroying everything with his bare fists

Gaf sucking up to FNV is nuts. You can have great flowcharted story choices but they're useless if theres nothing interesting about its characters or the world. This is why Fallout 3 and 4 are better overall. Fallout story was always just crazy stupid shit, but what made them great were the atmosphere, the tone and FNV is just fucking boring in that regard. I played that game 2 times and I will never ever touch it again yet I always come back to F3 and Fallout 4, because I actually get immersed in their worlds. Also Fallout 4 has the highest advantage thanks to its insane mods available to people. You guys have no idea how amazing you can make your experience with the game.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Folks like Chris Avellone were masters at the art of writing video games. They truly understood the medium and could leverage it to create memorable and unforgettable adventures.

Then the modern day writers ousted all of the old guard and can't write their way out of a paper bag. Its why we have trash like FO76, FO4, and the FO TV series.

SoloCamo

"The casuals" made Skyrim a roaring hit and made much more money than any predecessor. Unfortunately you know the next will be even more casual focused due to the cash flow potential. For most people, Skyrim is the only TES to have ever existed sadly. As much as I'd love for another Morrowind like experience with a modern engine, it's not going to happen.

Side note... as a huge TES fan the FO games just don't do it for me... though I've never really given each one a fair attempt. If it was soley based on atmosphere drawing you in, where would you start?

Last edited:

Generic

The writing is still all verbal exposition and everyone looks like a doll and the camera is static.

Can we just get FO3 and NV on modern systems please? I don't even need a remaster.

I'm so fucking tempted to just get NV on PS3. I don't own an Xbox anymore, that's how hungry I am for a good Fallout. FO76 has a great setting and enemies but it's not the game I want at all. I don't wanna play Radiation Animal Crossing.

SoloCamo

Can we just get FO3 and NV on modern systems please? I don't even need a remaster.

I'm so fucking tempted to just get NV on PS3. I don't own an Xbox anymore, that's how hungry I am for a good Fallout. FO76 has a great setting and enemies but it's not the game I want at all. I don't wanna play Radiation Animal Crossing.

I'm assuming you don't have a remotely recent pc? Fallout NV & 3 run perfectly even on my $350 Ryzen 7 4700U laptop I bought in 2020 and it's a 15w APU so no dedicated gpu at all.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

"The casuals" made Skyrim a roaring hit and made much more money than any predecessor. Unfortunately you know the next will be even more casual focused due to the cash flow potential. For most people, Skyrim is the only TES to have ever existed sadly. As much as I'd love for another Morrowind like experience with a modern engine, it's not going to happen.
Yeah it's pretty sad, would have loved for them to go for a more RPG oriented direction, but I guess the money was elsewhere.
Side note... as a huge TES fan the FO games just don't do it for me... though I've never really given each one a fair attempt. If it was soley based on atmosphere drawing you in, where would you start?
Atmosphere? Well in that regard I'd say Fallout 1 and 2 are better than what came after. Thing is those games might feel a bit hard to get into, so maybe go with New Vegas, great RPG all around and has pretty nice atmosphere too.

Fallout 3 isn't bad, but it's more of a themepark imo.

Ben87fr

I'd just like to play fallout 1 and 2 on my xbox, i don't care about shit fallout 4/76, please bethesda ? They don't give a fuck about these old games...

killatopak

Gold Member
Actual deep systems. Guns having skill and stat checks, multiples bullet types for various encounters, Highly customizable perk system that actually feels like you’re building a character rather than Bethesda patented Ace of all trades by end game. Proper skill, reputation and karma checks. Factions are actually interesting, has nuance, and affect each other extensively. Great writing, funny dialogue, huge amount of possible ways to complete quests and effects that follow.

There are pros and cons to the survival/hardcore mode. Though I prefer NV’s because of the survival skill and ability to save anytime I want (vanilla non-modded). Wild Wasteland trait actually gives me great references too. Speaking of trait, that ‘s another one system that makes your character you instead of the bland way 4 does it. You’re basically either from the army if you’re a guy or a lawyer if you’re a girl.

Also Mr. New Vegas loves me and he reminds me every time 🥰

Really, the only thing I could give to 4 unconditionally is graphics and gunplay of which there are superior ways to customize via modding with lots of them tying into the vanilla NV system to deepen your customization. Also, I liked 4’s version of power armor though I prefer it if it required power armor training still and ran on micro fusion cells. Actually more accurate to FO1/2 power armor instead of clothing like in 3 and NV. As a note, NV actually has multiples more amount of weapon types compared to 4. Really the only thing actually making them feel like they have variety is slapping a legendary effect.

I really like NV more than 3 even cause fucking metro system sucks ass, the whole map is level scaled so it doesn’t matter where you’ll go, you’ll always find enemies at your level with little to no challenge. Dialogue is a dice roll with stat and skills at the mercy of your luck and not the in game luck stat. No reputation system. Karma system sucks ass with little to no effects other than companion recruitment. Bullshit main quest where it’s your destiny to get bombarded by radiation according to my companion who is immune to radiation. Big guns being a useless skill until end game. Overly long intro sequence that shares the same thing with 4. Basically locking you towards finding a family member. Hilariously missing aiming down sights even with guns that do have sights. More than a century of rebuilding and garbage still present in settlements.

There are however some good points to 3. Atmosphere is excellent where I prefer not playing the radio over in game music. Tunnel snakes rule. Institute foreshadowing. Super Mutant Behemoths. Some recurring characters from earlier Fallouts like the tree guy. Nothing beats going out the vault for the first time with that bright filter and looking around the world. Props for introducing protectrons and making nuka cola a focal point. They’re actually iconic now because of Bethesda. Bethesda are also responsible for making Vaults have a more sinister air to them as in earlier Fallouts they were literally just bunkers. Now they’re more of a fucked up science experiment wrapped up in a gift box expecting to be discovered by the next protagonist. Liberty Prime is a great addition as well. Death to the communist.

DLCs are all basically superior in NV as well. Really the only thing that comes close to the worst dlc in NV are Far Harbor in 4 and Point Lookout and The Pitt in 3. Even Honest Hearts despite having the least impact features a great new map, compelling characters in Joshua Graham and ties very well into existing lore and other dlcs which have great foreshadowing. Dead Money, although very divisive, actually grew on me the more I played it. Great story, oozing with atmosphere and again ties nicely with the lore of the main game and dlcs. For a survival horror fan, this is top tier.

If I ever wanted something more out of New Vegas, it’s that I really wanted something like Broken Steel where it allows you to actually see the effects of what you’ve done. 3 and 4 allows this but NV doesn’t. The game basically ends after the battle at hoover dam. 4 even turns into a looter shooter post game. Basically farming out legendaries for all kind of legendary weapons effects. It just allows for more longevity once you’ve ran out of quests and locations to explore.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
NV is in my top 10 games ever.

I should….probably get around to playing the other games eventually lol I have only otherwise played 3. 3’s main campaign was not very good but I quite enjoyed the Pitt and especially Point Lookout DLCs.

Moochi

Preston Garvey's dead-eyed character and flat voice acting made me stop playing the remaster. None of the characters are interesting. None of them seem like they have been shaped by the dystopian world around them.

Top Bottom