• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pepper sprayed U.C. Davis students to receive $30K each

Status
Not open for further replies.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The University of California Davis will pay out nearly $1 million to settle the claims of students who were pepper-sprayed during a campus protest last year.

Each of 21 current and former University of California Davis students will receive $30,000 in a settlement made public Wednesday.

An additional $100,000 will be set aside for claims from others affected. The University of California also will pay $250,000 in plaintiffs' attorney fees plus $20,000 to the American Civil Liberties Union.

The settlement was approved Sept. 13 during a closed meeting of the 26-member University of California Board of Regents in San Francisco.

A committee comprised of one person designated by the plaintiffs and one person chosen by the regents will choose others who will be among the so-called "settlement class members." Those payments will be capped at $20,000 a person.

The settlement also calls for UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi to provide a personal, individual written apology for the incident to each of the plaintiffs.

In April, a university task force headed by a former state Supreme Court justice found that campus police had violated policy in breaking up the November protest and that campus administrators mishandled the incident.

The settlement will become final after a formal court hearing.

Source

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Appropriate use I think

gqBEu.jpg

Lol he could of shot the kids and nothing would've happened to the officer. Maybe paid suspension.

This. Just do the good ol' "paid leave under investigation" line, wait until everyone forgets about it, and quietly drop the "investigation".

Lather, rinse, repeat. No such thing as accountability in enforcement these days.

WarMacheen

lol, I got OC sprayed, ran a small obstacle course which included apprehending a subject at the end...and didn't get shit.

30k...lol

For that they could spray it up my ass.

jaxword

And the guy that sprayed them? And the one that authorized it/was in charge of them?

The cop would get "paid administrative time off" or something.

The chief in charge who ordered the strike? Absolutely nothing will happen to him.

Prez

NoRéN;42569924 said:
So about one free year of college?

Isn't this pretty much the same? These students will use it to pay their tuition fees, so the university gets it all back.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Forget pepper spray, they could taze and fire a few rubber bullets at me for that kind of money

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The cynic in me can't help but wonder if this will encourage morons who otherwise wouldn't be engaging in protest, come out and be belligerent in the hopes of getting sprayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom