• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pepsi/Coca Cola ordered to spill thier secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
INDIA’S highest court yesterday demanded that Coca-Cola should reveal its secret formula for the first time in 120 years.
The Supreme Court ordered the US soft drinks maker, along with its rival PepsiCo, to supply details of the chemical composition and ingredients of their products after a study released this week claimed that they contained unacceptable levels of insecticides.

Justice S. B. Sinha and Justice Dalveer Bhandari directed the companies to file their replies within four weeks, the Press Trust of India reported. “If they don’t comply, then the court has the authority to suspend sales,” Shreyas Patel, a lawyer at Fox Mandal Little, India’s oldest law firm, said. “But no one is going to give away a 120-year-old secret, especially in a country like India. Someone would go and make it themselves.”

Coca-Cola’s original recipe, according to company policy, is kept in a bank vault in Atlanta where only two executives — banned from travelling on the same aircraft — know it.

The court order followed the release of a report by the Centre for Science and Environment, a non-government body, which contended that 11 brands sold by the two soft drinks makers contained high levels of pesticide residues. The organisation said that samples from 12 states showed that Pepsi products contained 30 times more pesticides than in 2003, when a similar study was conducted. Coke samples had 25 times the amount of pesticides as three years ago.

The report, published on Wednesday, caused a row in India’s lower house, where MPs from across the political spectrum brandished its findings as reason enough to ban the sale of Coca-Cola and Pepsi. “These companies are playing with the lives of millions and we can’t ignore such warnings any more,” said Vijay Kumar Malhotra, from the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party, which staged a walkout over the issue .

It is not the first time Coca-Cola and Pepsi have found themselves mired in controversy in India. They are regular whipping boys for politicians who regard Western food products as a threat to Indian heritage, although sceptics suggest that their opposition has more to do with the companies’ virtual monopoly of the market than genuinely held feelings of cultural protectionism.

The US companies joined forces through the Indian Soft Drink Manufacturers’ Association to reject the findings of the study. “Consumer safety is paramount to us,” they said. “The soft drinks manufactured in India comply with stringent international norms and all applicable national regulations.”

The Bureau of Indian Standards, the highest government body to maintain product quality certification, has set a pesticide standard for bottled water but not for soft drinks.

In 2003, at the time of the last report, pesticide claims provoked a backlash. Schools banned colas, and fruit juice sales boomed as yoga gurus reminded people of the value of healthy drinking. Coca-Cola’s sales dropped by as much as 11 per cent in the subsequent financial quarter.

Will Cola/Pepsi do it or will they risk losing potentially 300-500 million customers

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-2299363,00.html

bjork

Coke should put out the formula for New Coke, and it should be used as a chemical weapon.

Similarly, Pepsi should reveal the Crystal Pepsi formula, and someone should license it and give us the return of the best soda ever.

GhaleonEB

goodcow said:
So... we're drinking insecticides?
Cleans up chemical and oil spills off of roads nicely as well.

Slightly OT: A dentist office I went to a few years ago kept human teeth in a big jar of Mountain Dew. They marked it with how many days the teeth had been in the jar to show how fast the Mountain Dew dissolved the teeth into a pile of powder. Took less than two weeks.

Buggy Loop

GhaleonEB said:

Slightly OT: A dentist office I went to a few years ago kept human teeth in a big jar of Mountain Dew. They marked it with how many days the teeth had been in the jar to show how fast the Mountain Dew dissolved the teeth into a pile of powder. Took less than two weeks.

Same thing with a steel nail, it will be dissolved in a matter of weeks

B'z-chan

Banned
Remember in other countries they have different formulas. Anyone ever tried a coke from mexico? Yeah its different they all are for the most part. Different restrictions on what can be put in it, what kind of water and stuff like that. And i wouldnt doubt india has a high level of crap in it. Cause they are one of the worlds top producers of chemical crap.

Mute

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

I thought that's because soda has a relatively low PH level, not because it contains insectides.

Blah. That sounds awful. I'm drinking a Pepsi right now. Oh well, cheers.

bjork

This news does not make me fear for my health. I am instead grateful to know the insides of my body are insect-free!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
B'z-chan said:
Remember in other countries they have different formulas. Anyone ever tried a coke from mexico? Yeah its different they all are for the most part. Different restrictions on what can be put in it, what kind of water and stuff like that. And i wouldnt doubt india has a high level of crap in it. Cause they are one of the worlds top producers of chemical crap.

Pepsi from Mexico is the shit

pnjtony

Buggy Loop said:
Same thing with a steel nail, it will be dissolved in a matter of weeks
I thought MythBusters disproved that. I know it didn't disolve a steak or a penny so I have to assume a steel nail wouldn't be going anywhere either. It was good as a chrome polisher though.

pnjtony said:
I thought MythBusters disproved that. I know it didn't disolve a steak or a penny so I have to assume a steel nail wouldn't be going anywhere either. It was good as a chrome polisher though.

Yep, i think that was the result.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GhaleonEB said:
That's a myth (same with cleaning up the blood). They don't use coke to clean up any of that.

That's true but it's inconsequential. Your saliva washes away coke residue from your teeth within seconds when you drink it.

VALIS

pnjtony said:

Yep, good chrome polisher. Also good with blood stains. Not a good de-greaser. Also not good for battery corrosion or rust. As far as the penny goes, the coke did clean it up quite nicely, and they only had it in a jar for 48 hours, if I remember. I don't think it would dissolve a nail or penny, but it did make it shiny.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Marconelly said:
That's a myth (same with cleaning up the blood). They don't use coke to clean up any of that.

au contraire, I've seen my local mechanic use a 20 oz of coke to clean out the funnel after he drains your oil out during an oil change.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
VALIS said:
As far as the penny goes, the coke did clean it up quite nicely, and they only had it in a jar for 48 hours, if I remember. I don't think it would dissolve a nail or penny, but it did make it shiny.

Pfft, if you want shiny pennies use Ketchup. Works a hell of a lot quicker than Coke, too.

Odysseus

Banned
I'm a Coke fanboy except when it comes to diet sodas. Coke Zero is good, but not enough of their other stuff is available diet in 16 oz bottles at the supermarket. If they put Vault Zero in bottles at my local supermarket, then I'd be all over it. Anyway, that brings me to another diet citrus soda that I drink, Dt. Mountain Dew. People always say it's like one or two ingredients away from being antifreeze, which must be why cats and dogs are drawn to puddles from radiators.

thefit

Mexican Pepsi and Coke are definately better. My great grandfather was runover by a pepsi delivery truck and that led to our families boycott of the product.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Centipedes.jpg

That's at least one person who appreciates the insecticide-filled recipe.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Marconelly said:
That's true but it's inconsequential. Your saliva washes away coke residue from your teeth within seconds when you drink it.
Well, the damaging part of coke isn't its acidity, but the sugar content which provides a wonderful feast for the bacteria living in your mouth. That bacteria is what ends up eating away at your teeth.

Which is why it's always a good idea to rinse your mouth with water after a meal.

LakeEarth

B'z-chan said:
Yeah, if I were Coke I'd change the formula to some generic cola formula and release that one. No secrets let out and they keep their hold in the market.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
When I was a kid I never liked coke (or any carbonated beverage), but I remember the first time I ever really enjoyed a coke was when I was in Mexico. weird.

I've had Dr. Pepper with real sugar, it didn't taste much different from corn syrup Dr. Pepper, nothing to really talk about anyway.

I'm such a Coke fanatic though, I'd love to try some Coke from other countries if it does really taste different.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Hitokage said:
Well, the damaging part of coke isn't its acidity, but the sugar content which provides a wonderful feast for the bacteria living in your mouth. That bacteria is what ends up eating away at your teeth.

Which is why it's always a good idea to rinse your mouth with water after a meal.

that's not really true either, because if that was the case switching to diet soda would solve all your tooth-decay problems (which it doesn't). There's definitely some acid-like piece which is helping to dissolve away your teeth enamel.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nerevar said:
that's not really true either, because if that was the case switching to diet soda would solve all your tooth-decay problems (which it doesn't). There's definitely some acid-like piece which is helping to dissolve away your teeth enamel.
Is this in real-world usage? Because unless you drank nothing but diet soda I don't see how it would eliminate tooth decay... and even then, yeah, the acidity would clearly have more effect on your teeth than the artificial sweetener.

Thing is though, many fruits are more acidic than soda, and that's excluding lemons.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
goodcow said:
So... we're drinking insecticides?

Um..... In India. Did no one else notice that this article's from India??

This secret recipie stuff is mostly marketing I'm sure.... ever heard of chemists? I'm sure the recipie would be pretty easy to figure out.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nerevar said:
Orange Juice (and many others) has about the same or more sugar in it than regular sodas, and has acidic components in it as well, yet you never see people apply those myths to fruit juices.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Marconelly said:
Orange Juice (and many others) has about the same or more sugar in it than regular sodas, and has acidic components in it as well, yet you never see people apply those myths to fruit juices.

natural sugars are a lot different than cane sugar or corn syrup.

And if you're getting sweetened OJ, than most of the same criticisms of pop do apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom