• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pepsi/Coca Cola ordered to spill thier secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Marconelly said:
Orange Juice (and many others) has about the same or more sugar in it than regular sodas, and has acidic components in it as well, yet you never see people apply those myths to fruit juices.
Um, fruit juice isn't given a free pass. The problem is that the sugar adheres to teeth, and is frequently consumed between meals so food doesn't rub it off during chewing.

Tamanon

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Um..... In India. Did no one else notice that this article's from India??

This secret recipie stuff is mostly marketing I'm sure.... ever heard of chemists? I'm sure the recipie would be pretty easy to figure out.

I'm pretty sure there was a sting recently over someone who was trying to sell the Coke recipe for $30 million.....

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Breaking news: Coke recipe unleashed!!

Tap-Water.jpeg

slide1-Y-sugarbeets.JPEG

dogshit.jpg

MadraptorMan said:
Everyone should stop drinking soda as soon as possible--the stuff is horrible for you, in more ways than one.

Aw..shaddup.

Like you live a completely healthy lifestyle. You're probably one of those people who think EVERYTHING is bad for you.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Hitokage said:
Is this in real-world usage? Because unless you drank nothing but diet soda I don't see how it would eliminate tooth decay... and even then, yeah, the acidity would clearly have more effect on your teeth than the artificial sweetener.

Thing is though, many fruits are more acidic than soda, and that's excluding lemons.

Sorry, I meant that if you drank diet soda instead of regular soda you would experience a much lesser amount of tooth decay. But that's not the case. And I'm not saying it's just acidity, there's something about the formula of soda that helps wear away at tooth enamel. But really, coffee and tea stain your teeth as well, so it's not like I'm damning people who drink soda. Just drinking too much is clearly bad for your teeth, whether it's diet soda or not.

Marconelly said:
Orange Juice (and many others) has about the same or more sugar in it than regular sodas, and has acidic components in it as well, yet you never see people apply those myths to fruit juices.
suggested fruit juice serving size:
straight-juice-glass-2.jpg

suggested soda serving size:
big-gulp-super-3.jpg

that's pretty much why.
Tonche said:
This won't make a difference anyway.

It's the branding that matters, not the ingredients.
yep, because no one buys generic products in this day and age.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fruit juice is nearly as bad as soda. The problem is not that it is a sugar, but that it is a fast acting one. What makes sugar unhealthy is when there lacks any soluble fiber to slow down the release of energy in digestion, and that it has enough surface area to be digested quickly. This is what makes whole fruit healthy, whereas juice is not. Juice will still spike insulin, and create body fat.

Juice is slightly healthier because it is sucrose/fructose rather than soda's high fructose corn syrup, which has a different impact on the body. In some people, their body's don't even register the soda as calories, so it's a free pass to fatsville and they keep eating/drinking. Fruit juice also has some of the phytonutrients that whole fruit has. Orange juice retains more than some juices, like apple juice which retains virtually none of the nutrients. Even the well known vitamin C has to be supplemented to make it to the drink.

Here's the science to back up some of what I'm saying:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=15

However, processing apples into juice greatly lowers their phytochemical content. Apple juice obtained from Jonagold apples by pulping and straight pressing had only 10% of the antioxidant activity of fresh apples, while juice obtained after pulp enzyming had only 3% of fresh apples' antioxidant activity. The take home message: store apples in the refrigerator and enjoy a sweet, crunchy, whole apple at least 2-3 times each week.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
BocoDragon said:
Um..... In India. Did no one else notice that this article's from India??

This secret recipie stuff is mostly marketing I'm sure.... ever heard of chemists? I'm sure the recipie would be pretty easy to figure out.

Reverse engineering Coke so wouldn't be worth it if you could just sue the recipe from them

I dont like Mexican coke as much. Sure, the foam is fun, in fact, a bottle of coke has enough to make your own foam party, but tis such a hassle to pour.

French coke on the other hand is too flat.

Brasilian coke is surprisingly similar to american, although they use real manly sugar

Christopher

Outcast2004 said:
Aw..shaddup.

Like you live a completely healthy lifestyle. You're probably one of those people who think EVERYTHING is bad for you.

Or maybe because it is bad for you...

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
NotMSRP said:
So how does Coke make the soda drinks if only two executives have access to the recipe?
Well, there are probably more than that who know the recipe (and the two execs probably can't remember the exact ingredients anyway) but the people who manufacture it only know the part of the recipe that is relevant to their function. In theory I guess they could all get together and figure out the complete recipe but I can imagine that the syrup is manufactured in multiple locations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_formula
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp

As has already been pointed out in this thread Coca-Cola tastes differently in different parts of the world. Coke is my favorite soft drink by far but the UK version is nearly undrinkable to me. It's worse than the worst Eastern European versions I've tried. I never thought Coca-Cola could taste so bad.

Until trying UK Coke I never understood why someone might prefer Pepsi but afterwards I came to the conclusion that even Pepsi can't be worse than that.

But the syrup itself should be the same for all countries so it has to be the other ingredients, like the water, that makes the difference.

Cheerilee

In 2003, at the time of the last report, pesticide claims provoked a backlash. Schools banned colas, and fruit juice sales boomed as yoga gurus reminded people of the value of healthy drinking.
Fruit juice? Where the hell do these people think the pesticides are coming from in order to get into the water supply? Agriculture. You spray it on the plants to keep bugs from eating them.

It's not as if Coca-Cola's running around crop-dusting the lakes, trying to keep the mosquitos from biting them at night while they're out on camping trips.

xabre

Banned
Releasing the ingredients would be great. I can't wait for all the similar tasting generic knock offs that pop up at a much cheaper price.

teh_pwn

Outcast2004 said:
Who cares? Everything is bad for you in some way these days. You're going to die eventually....

Outcast2004 said:
You're probably one of those people who think EVERYTHING is bad for you.

MetalAlien

Banned
If I could live 10 years longer by eating heathly, I have to ask would it add 10 years of happiness?

No pizza and soda do not a happy alien make. If I die at 50 because of it, so be it.

teh_pwn

MetalAlien said:
If I could live 10 years longer by eating heathly, I have to ask would it add 10 years of happiness?

No pizza and soda do not a happy alien make. If I die at 50 because of it, so be it.

The fallacy there is that you think the quality of life is higher eating that stuff. You feel better every day when you live healthier. Like not having to breath hard to stand up for example. Also, after not consuming soda for a while, you begin not to like it. You don't have that constant craving to consume sugary water anymore.

MetalAlien

Banned
teh_pwn said:
The fallacy there is that you think the quality of life is higher eating that stuff. You feel better every day when you live healthier. Like not having to breath hard to stand up for example. Also, after not consuming soda for a while, you begin not to like it. You don't have that constant craving to consume sugary water anymore.

Breathing hard standing up? What?..LOL If I was unhappy or felt bad maybe I would agree, but neither of those are true.... I have lots of energy, I can't evern stand still in COD2 to make a decent camper... :lol I am busier on my days off than when I am at work.

Just sayin.

MrDaravon

teh_pwn said:

Exaggeration much? Also you have an interesting tag...

MetalAlien

Banned
SailorDaravon said:

Completely off topic but it's been killing me. I discovered I have a tag and didn't realise. They are politely calling me a dick, just took me a while to see it. :D

teh_pwn

MetalAlien said:
Breathing hard standing up? What?..LOL If I was unhappy or felt bad maybe I would agree, but neither of those are true.... I have lots of energy, I can't evern stand still in COD2 to make a decent camper... :lol I am busier on my days off than when I am at work.

Just sayin.

I was exaggerating somewhat, but there is a truth to it. If you eat whatever you want, you will likely become overweight when you get older, and exhaust yourself just walking around.

teh_pwn

SailorDaravon said:

Tags are given out on gaf very seriously.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
teh_pwn said:
The fallacy there is that you think the quality of life is higher eating that stuff. You feel better every day when you live healthier. Like not having to breath hard to stand up for example.
Yeah, that's why you exercise. Living on water and tofu isn't life.

teh_pwn

Freshmaker said:
Yeah, that's why you exercise. Living on water and tofu isn't life.

So you're equating healthy with having to starve yourself? If you eat the right foods, you never have to control yourself, it all comes naturally. It is high GI foods like soda that cause insulin resistance and consequently constant cravings for food. And tofu is made out of nonfermented soy, which kills testicular cells and lowers testosterone. I wouldn't touch it.

Combining exercise with shitty food doesn't work. Fitness starts in the kitchen. What you eat determines what kind of energy levels you have. You may be able to to it at a young age, but most people cave in eventually.

You all seem to be impling that not drinking soda is taboo, torture, and against life or something, lol.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
teh_pwn said:
You all seem to be impling that not drinking soda is taboo, torture, and against life or something, lol.

You're pretending that drinking soda will shorten your lifespan, lol.

...wow teh_pwn is a real downer.

Anyway, I thought everyone knew Coke was nothing but Peanut flavoring and brown sugar? With some carbonated water, you can make the same thing at home...

Or was that Mr. Pibb?

Cronox

Banned
Freshmaker said:

Uh... you think it's extending your lifespan? Look up the effects of carbonated liquids (osteoporosis anyone?), for starters.

Soybean

I agree with teh_pwn completely. Eat healthier, and you'll feel better. What's not to love?

You don't have to go crazy. Just replace all white bread and pasta and rice with wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice (many people even prefer the taste after a while, since it HAS more taste). Eat less (takes a while for that feeling of hunger to go away when you start eating, which is why people eat way too much). Cut down on fried foods and sweets.

High fiber diets have so many health benefits. Plus you'll be more regular. Who doesn't want predictable, easy pooping?

teh_pwn

Freshmaker said:

I'm not pretending.

Childhood obesity:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4778436.stm
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/15/soda.obesity/

Diabetes:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-06-08-diabetes-soda_x.htm

Consuming high amounts of sugars, especially when exclusively in the fructose form, causes many health problems.

That, and you're missing out the enormous health benefits of real foods and drinks.

While soda has been shown to encourage body fat production, insulin resistance, diabetes, etc, green tea has been shown to do the opposite, and discourage many cancers.

green tea
health benefits of real foods

And as for fitness, go to www.t-nation.com or www.bodybuilding.com and see how many people are onboard with the eat shit and exercise program. I can guarantee that we are not starving ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom