• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman85

B00004TB9G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00009V7T2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00000JKH2.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00005YTRR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00006JODM.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000003TB9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Props to Deadstar on Loveless (obvious pick) and especially Going Blank Again-for some reason the accolades for the shoegazer era always tend to gravitate towards MBV's Loveless and Slowdive's Souvlaki , and Ride is almost completely ignored or only Nowhere is referenced-and that's a damn shame because Going Blank Again is one of the best pop albums from that genre.

Anyway, some more picks.

B000002LCK.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

New Order is timeless. This is their best, most uptempo collection of their work.

B0000004V2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just forget that Second Coming ever happened. Insanely good album.

B000001E17.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I have Ferment and Adam and Eve , but this is Catherine Wheel's seminal work, IMO.

B000002IX5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is really a more personal pick than anything else-Suffer probably is the better album, but I like Hate more.

Dead

well not really...yet
Fragamemnon said:
Props to Deadstar on Loveless (obvious pick) and especially Going Blank Again-for some reason the accolades for the shoegazer era always tend to gravitate towards MBV's Loveless and Slowdive's Souvlaki , and Ride is almost completely ignored or only Nowhere is referenced-and that's a damn shame because Going Blank Again is one of the best pop albums from that genre.
actually I almost listed souvlaki, dont know why I didnt...

Yeah, I love Ride, Nowhere is a fantastic record but Going Blank again is just something else....they really were a pretty underappreciated band..

the albums you listed are great (id say Catherine wheels Chrome is par with Ferment tho, aka insanely good), though im not familiar with bad religion much...

I'm not going to bother with gathering pics:

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
XTC - Skylarking
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Pixies - Surfer Rosa & Doolittle
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
The Replacements - Let It Be
The Clash - London Calling
The Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action
The Microphones - Glow Pt. 2
New Order - Substance

My perfect albums list might not consist entirely of albums with perfect songs. However, I'm considering these albums perfect because there is nothing that I would change about them. As they are, they can't be improved.

A few...

B000002HPV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Björk- Homogenic
B000003TAH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sonic Youth- EVOL
B0000029DD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jeff Buckley- Grace
B00004XONN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Radiohead- Kid A
B0000019PA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
B0000AI45P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Television- Marquee Moon
B00006BTCA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights
B000000OVP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Weezer- Pinkerton
B00006F7S4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Beck- Sea Change
B000065PUE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pixies- Doolittle (the 2nd half is a little weak, but the 1st half is other worldly).
B000002N11.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Cibo Matto- Viva! La Woman
B000003TAR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nirvana- In Utero

tt_deeb

Radiohead: Kid A
Radiohead: OK Computer
Tool: Lateralus
Mr. Bungle: California
Mr. Bungle: Disco Volante
Faith No More: King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime
Faith No More: Angel Dust
Fantomas: Fantomas

And probably a lot more. I have very low standards.

MrAngryFace said:
B000002HOK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

So good I bought it twice. Sure, I dont know jack shit about having random sexcapades while overdosing on drugs but this album rocks. Its weakest link is probably Jumper but thats cause VH1 overplayed it, but I still like it a lot. While there is definitely a target audience that I cannot relate to, many of the songs remind us that even the stupid druggies deal with common life problems and heartache. Yay druggies.
MAF has good taste! :O

Motorcycle Drive By is one of my favorite songs ever.

B00000C2MC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Go ahead and hate but this is the best fucking punk/ska album of all time in my opinion. It's also my favorite album of all time.

Substance

It's difficult to bring forth value in my post seeing as how many essential albums have already been listed. Scoot, SirPop and quite a few others are on the money. Here are a few crucial albums missing in the thread.

Paul Simon - Graceland
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head
Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends, Bridge over Troubled Water
The Stooges - Raw Power
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Jimi Hendrix - Are you Experienced?
James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Slint - Spiderland Creepy
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Any Beatles, VU Album which has yet to be mentioned (to an extent, same can be said for Zep and RS)
Big Star - Third Sister/Lover
The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin

Ah, loads of other stuff too.
Haven't checked out much Marvin Gaye, Joni Mitchell, or other 'vintage' records which may fit the bill.

Radiohead - OK Computer
Neutral Milk Hotel - In th Airplane Over the Sea
Pixies- Surfer Rosa, Doolittle
The Who - Quadrophenia, Live at Leeds
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Pink Floyd - Animals
The Beatles - Revolver is my favorite, but really all of them are practically perfect
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Pete Townshend - All the Best Cowboys have Chinese Eyes
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Everyone seems to be listing their favorite albums, but the topic is PERFECT albums. To me, a perfect album is one that has nothing but great songs, a very, VERY elusive beast. I'm not entirely sure one exists. (MAYBE Thriller, but that's not really my kind of music.)
I mean, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is one of my favorite albums, but more than half of it is filler. And, as much as I like Faith No More and Mr. Bungle, neither has made a perfect album. Cuckoo for Caca and Ugly in the Morning come to mind as sub-par songs from King For A Day... for example. Jizzlobber and Malpractice on Angel Dust are just fucking awful. And the Beatles' "white album" is the very definition of self-indulgence.

I'm just touching on some music that's been mentioned that I'm most familiar with, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same with almost everything else that's been mentioned.

Jim Bowie

2112.jpg

Rush - 2112

B000005AYA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Reel Big Fish - Turn the Radio Off

anewmorning_large.gif

The (International) Noise Conspiracy - A New Morning, Changing Weather

My two (three, rather) cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom