• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark’s Game Director leaves The Initiative

Status
Not open for further replies.
1: This reasoning isn't true xD

2: As optimistic as I am for Xbox's future, I'm still going to be very critical of what I perceive as ongoing weaknesses. Lack of any VR solution on console, weak marketing for specific games (they seem to have no problem marketing GamePass tho!), poor upper management at certain XGS studios, potentially poor XGS management under Matt Booty, egotistical console power advertising (considering the results between Series X & PS5 with most multiplats so far), lack of 3P AAA exclusives (of high quality, timed or full-on), lack of any real presence in certain genres (fighters especially; the JRPG situation is improving glacially), and lack of good timing with showing more on 1P content outside of E3 and the TGAs.

They may be doing some things right and making some improvements, but there's still a lot of things they could be doing better, that their competition IS doing better, IMHO.

1: I still don't buy the VR hype, and still believe very confidently it's going nowhere fast because the investment on the high end games front just isn't there at a scale where it needs to be, and the price will continue to be an obstacle for that investment ever growing big enough. So long as price is an obstacle for so many, enough companies will never truly invest enough to make it worthwhile even if a gem or two pops up from time to time. Take a look at Sony and PSVR2. Nothing about that Horizon VR game announced has me convinced that is worth buying because I'm not convinced too many worthwhile games will support that.

VR will go the way of 3DTVs, bank on it. I've been saying this for years. The big VR blowup people said would happen still hasn't come. There's a reason it still hasn't taken off, and I don't believe what Oculus is showcasing is convincing enough yet to believe the tide is truly changing. Even PSVR isn't going to be heavily supported it seems across much of the Playstation 5's library. I guarantee that PSVR2 will be sustained by the fact that it will not only work on PS5, but on PC as well. No way they are limiting those headsets to just PS5.

And Microsoft doesn't need their own VR hardware because they have something better, extensive windows support for all viable VR options. The moment VR takes off they can enable support for any top tier VR device to work on Xbox consoles for people who desire that experience. There's zero need to build their own when they can just enable support for Oculus or whatever is available to windows PCs.

2: Marketing Game Pass makes sense because it's the most forward looking and successful gaming related business venture they have ever had. Right now with where Game Pass sits at 25 million subscribers, even if only 1/3rd of those 25 million are ultimate subscribers, that's still $3.49 billion in revenue for the year. Game Pass is on track right now to generate yearly revenue at a pace easily exceeding the equivalent of Microsoft dropping two $60 priced games that each sells 20 million copies in the same year.

Why wouldn't they market Game Pass when it's that level of success? Game Pass, for example, since the start of 2020 has grown by 16 million subscribers in just 2 years time. In that time it has outpaced the growth rate of PS Plus 5 to 1. Now maybe that's because PS+ has reached a saturation point of sorts - even though I personally don't believe that's why and think it has a lot more room for more rapid growth if/when it turns into a better game pass competitor - but that's what's going on for now.

Game Pass is a massive hit that's only set to become even more popular once those Activision games start getting dropped day one on there. Or RPG megatons like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 get added, along with future big titles across the rest of XGS, Bethesda and Activision. Game Pass will start demonstrating in a more in your face type of way why Microsoft has bet so big on acquiring the IP and studios that they have.

3: On the power front I'm not really concerned there. It was never meant to make PS5 games look a generation behind or anything, but what I do strongly believe is that the numbers and the specifications do matter, and over time Series X will, in more obvious ways than what it already has, prove to be the more capable and performant hardware. It has shown it numerous times already. I acknowledge to not expecting some of the situations I've seen where PS5 has at times outperformed it, or Series X's performance - despite being better wasn't as big or as stable as expected - but on the whole the performance specifications have been proven out. It's the more advanced featureset that will further demonstrate the potential for the box.

Of the available games that actually utilize Xbox Series X's more advanced featureset (Tier 2 VRS), there is a meaningful performance advantage over PS5 more befitting the specifications and potential. VRS Tier 2 implementation in Doom Eternal is magnificent and it's being made even better. And even if they're close I'm not overly worried about that. I know what the tech available on Series X will be able to do once devs start taking more advantage of it. It isn't about some generational difference over PS5, but by being able to be even more efficient and smart with the available resources, they'll be able to squeeze more out of the hardware. VRS Tier 2 and beyond advances, Sampler Feedback Streaming (this is the big one for me that's the real game changer), greater adoption of the full Velocity Architecture (which isn't a thing without Sampler Feedback), Mesh Shaders, and hopefully Machine Learning will all come into play later on. Needless to say I'm not concerned.

As to the rest of what you said, Xbox Game Studios was easily the #1 games publisher of last year. And that doesn't even include the Xbox first party studio titles that came from Bethesda. Xbox's future is strong. Bethesda is a black box of incredible games coming to Xbox. Toss in Activision and there's really nothing to worry about. Blizzard has a whole new survival IP coming that seems likely to end up exclusive. The various studios will get more freedom and future COD games should get more time.

1: I still don't buy the VR hype, and still believe very confidently it's going nowhere fast because the investment on the high end games front just isn't there at a scale where it needs to be, and the price will continue to be an obstacle for that investment ever growing big enough. So long as price is an obstacle for so many, enough companies will never truly invest enough to make it worthwhile even if a gem or two pops up from time to time. Take a look at Sony and PSVR2. Nothing about that Horizon VR game announced has me convinced that is worth buying because I'm not convinced too many worthwhile games will support that.

VR will go the way of 3DTVs, bank on it. I've been saying this for years. The big VR blowup people said would happen still hasn't come. There's a reason it still hasn't taken off, and I don't believe what Oculus is showcasing is convincing enough yet to believe the tide is truly changing. Even PSVR isn't going to be heavily supported it seems across much of the Playstation 5's library. I guarantee that PSVR2 will be sustained by the fact that it will not only work on PS5, but on PC as well. No way they are limiting those headsets to just PS5.

And Microsoft doesn't need their own VR hardware because they have something better, extensive windows support for all viable VR options. The moment VR takes off they can enable support for any top tier VR device to work on Xbox consoles for people who desire that experience. There's zero need to build their own when they can just enable support for Oculus or whatever is available to windows PCs.

2: Marketing Game Pass makes sense because it's the most forward looking and successful gaming related business venture they have ever had. Right now with where Game Pass sits at 25 million subscribers, even if only 1/3rd of those 25 million are ultimate subscribers, that's still $3.49 billion in revenue for the year. Game Pass is on track right now to generate yearly revenue at a pace easily exceeding the equivalent of Microsoft dropping two $60 priced games that each sells 20 million copies in the same year.

Why wouldn't they market Game Pass when it's that level of success? Game Pass, for example, since the start of 2020 has grown by 16 million subscribers in just 2 years time. In that time it has outpaced the growth rate of PS Plus 5 to 1. Now maybe that's because PS+ has reached a saturation point of sorts - even though I personally don't believe that's why and think it has a lot more room for more rapid growth if/when it turns into a better game pass competitor - but that's what's going on for now.

Game Pass is a massive hit that's only set to become even more popular once those Activision games start getting dropped day one on there. Or RPG megatons like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 get added, along with future big titles across the rest of XGS, Bethesda and Activision. Game Pass will start demonstrating in a more in your face type of way why Microsoft has bet so big on acquiring the IP and studios that they have.

3: On the power front I'm not really concerned there. It was never meant to make PS5 games look a generation behind or anything, but what I do strongly believe is that the numbers and the specifications do matter, and over time Series X will, in more obvious ways than what it already has, prove to be the more capable and performant hardware. It has shown it numerous times already. I acknowledge to not expecting some of the situations I've seen where PS5 has at times outperformed it, or Series X's performance - despite being better wasn't as big or as stable as expected - but on the whole the performance specifications have been proven out. It's the more advanced featureset that will further demonstrate the potential for the box.

Of the available games that actually utilize Xbox Series X's more advanced featureset (Tier 2 VRS), there is a meaningful performance advantage over PS5 more befitting the specifications and potential. VRS Tier 2 implementation in Doom Eternal is magnificent and it's being made even better. And even if they're close I'm not overly worried about that. I know what the tech available on Series X will be able to do once devs start taking more advantage of it. It isn't about some generational difference over PS5, but by being able to be even more efficient and smart with the available resources, they'll be able to squeeze more out of the hardware. VRS Tier 2 and beyond advances, Sampler Feedback Streaming (this is the big one for me that's the real game changer), greater adoption of the full Velocity Architecture (which isn't a thing without Sampler Feedback), Mesh Shaders, and hopefully Machine Learning will all come into play later on. Needless to say I'm not concerned.

As to the rest of what you said, Xbox Game Studios was easily the #1 games publisher of last year. And that doesn't even include the Xbox first party studio titles that came from Bethesda. Xbox's future is strong. Bethesda is a black box of incredible games coming to Xbox. Toss in Activision and there's really nothing to worry about. Blizzard has a whole new survival IP coming that seems likely to end up exclusive. The various studios will get more freedom and future COD games should get more time.

Right now to me , the Series X feels like a Xbox One X remastered rather than a new generation. The best thing about for me is quick resume.

The games are not blowing me away and the majority I can play on One , the UI is ...well I’ve said enough in the past about that and the controller , whilst I like the design is far too loud at times it’s ridiculous, the d pad in particular is horrible , I can even hear it through my headphones !

I’m sick of the what ifs and maybes. The tools, the games are coming, so on and so on.

I’m definitely holding off buying any future Xbox console , the first year or two anyway.

It’s saving grace is a subscription service .

Right now to me , the Series X feels like a Xbox One X remastered rather than a new generation. The best thing about for me is quick resume.

The games are not blowing me away and the majority I can play on One , the UI is ...well I’ve said enough in the past about that and the controller , whilst I like the design is far too loud at times it’s ridiculous, the d pad in particular is horrible , I can even hear it through my headphones !

I’m sick of the what ifs and maybes. The tools, the games are coming, so on and so on.

I’m definitely holding off buying any future Xbox console , the first year or two anyway.

It’s saving grace is a subscription service .

PS5 is the one that feels more like an upgraded PS4 Pro buddy. Series X is the one that feels most like a next gen system. It's the one with VRR support, the one with Dolby Vision gaming support, that has FPS boost for old games, that has auto HDR even for older games that don't support it, has the superior backwards compatibility support, got basic shit like Smart Delivery right - meanwhile the shit has been embarrassing on PS5 - Series X has quick resume for multiple titles, has instant launching of games without having to download them via the cloud with game pass, has the more next-gen feeling digital games subscription that only keeps getting better.

Series X is the console also that actually planned ahead properly for next gen storage expansion, meanwhile you gotta open the entire PS5 just to do the same. I can go on and on. A UI? I own a PS5. The UI is trash. And the Xbox controller is still better than the dualsense. You think it matters much of it didn't change much when it was already better? The battery life on the controller still sucks ass, my enelooops laugh at the crappy battery life of the dualsense. And the build quality is still as crap as it was before with the stick drift. I've said enough. The triggers are fucking trash... and have already broken on people I know who weren't wise enough to disable that shitty adaptive trigger becoming loose or unresponsive.

And when is VRR coming again? Still waiting? Yea...

Umbasaborne

Banned
This isnt a Microsoft problem. Nearly ALL AAA studios seem to be struggling to put out games. There is a reason why we have a total of ZERO next gen only games on Xbox and it's not just because MS first party studios failed. None of the third party studios are ready. Even Bethesda which used to make games every 3-4 years has now taken 7 years to make Starfield. And yes, I know Fallout 76 came out in 2018 but lets face it, the main team was working on Starfield.

Even Sony studios have had a horrendous gen. BP and Housemarque werent even Sony owned when they released their next gen games. Ratchet is pretty much the only next gen game released by Sony's internal studio and will be the only one until Spiderman comes out in late 2023.

Bioware is missing in action since 2019. It's been 3 years. Nothing. Suicide Squad has taken 7 years and will be delayed to next year. It looks last gen as fuck anyway. Then you have Kojima who is typically very productive but for some reason has nothing to show 2.5 years after shipping death stranding. Crystal Dynamics is only just starting pre-production on next gen Tomb Raider and now that will be delayed by years thanks to Perfect Dark. Naughty Dog is nowhere to be found. It's been almost 2 years since they shipped TLOU2 and nothing. Not even factions which is most likely last gen. They were very productive releasing 3 AAA games last gen. Even shipping TLOU2 within 3 years of shipping Lost Legacy.

This is an industry wide problem. It just looks worse for MS because they havent had the best track record with first party. I would love to blame Phil for making Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite Last gen, but Sony's entire lineup this year is cross gen. Every third party game is cross gen. Hell, I have no doubt that the next RE game, the next FF game, the next Star Wars Jedi Fallen order game, and the next AC game will all be cross gen. Nitnendo hasnt released a Zelda, Mario or Metroid game since 2017. Those are their only AAA franchises so they've basically had nothing for an AAA only gamer like myself.

No one knows how to make games anymore so they make the same thing over and over again. No offense to Horizon or Elden Rings, but my god, they both felt pretty much identical to their predecessors. Elden Rings especially. I was like I cant go through any Souls mode trauma. The game looks like a PS3 game. Ratchet felt like a PS3 game with CG quality graphics and some fancy loading gimmicks. Halo felt like Halo 1. The new Metroid is literally 2D. What is this 1995? Forza Horizon 5 felt like FH3. Im like what is different here?? A grappling hook? Mexico? GT7 finally added a single player mode thats been in the series since its inception and we are like OMG, such innovation!

Games have stagnated. Devs have stopped innovating. That isnt on Microsoft, Sony or Ubisoft. It's the devs. They need a kick up the ass, not nurturing.
Well said. I think the issue is that the budget, and scope of these titles has ballooned out of control. I was about to make a thread called “is the trend of release it now, fix it later” here to stay. And unfortunatley, i believe it is, for all of the reasons listed. These games have just gotten too big now, as you said rockstar used to release multiple games per generation, now we get one if we are lucky. The amount of time and money that it costs to produce these games has gotten so immense that publishers are announcing games super early on, not only to appease share holders, but also to recruit because so much of the team leaves due to burn out. They are also releasing games The second they are “playable” even if they are unfinished because they know it will likely be six months to a year until their next big game is ready to go.

So whats the solution? I think big game publishers need to reign in the scope of their titles. I always point to insomniac as the golden standard. They manage to get a gorgeous, fun, triple a game out every year or two. They can do this because their games are not massive in scope. The worlds of spiderman and ratchet and clank are not very big, But they make up for that with fun mechanics and great visuals. Nintendo is (usually) pretty good at getting a consistent flow of releases out, and they can do this because not every game they put out is a breath of the wild sized epic, many of them are much smaller in scope. I like that square enix has a renewed focus on small scale aa games, because it means we will have more to play in the 5-6 year long wait for numbered final fantasy games or 7 remake sequels.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
It's negative news about a first party, that's why it's so big.

You have to imagine with Phil taking a more overseer role, they will assign more talented people into leadership roles to manage the studios individually while Phil is overseeing them broadly.
I dissagree, it speaks to a larger issue about the state of the games industry and triple a development in general. I really wish phil would come out and make a statement regarding whats going on, to reign in control of the message, even if its just saying like “we underestimated the scale of the project and it will be a while yet before we can say more about it”

PS5 is the one that feels more like an upgraded PS4 Pro buddy. Series X is the one that feels most like a next gen system. It's the one with VRR support, the one with Dolby Vision gaming support, that has FPS boost for old games, that has auto HDR even for older games that don't support it, has the superior backwards compatibility support, got basic shit like Smart Delivery right - meanwhile the shit has been embarrassing on PS5 - Series X has quick resume for multiple titles, has instant launching of games without having to download them via the cloud with game pass, has the more next-gen feeling digital games subscription that only keeps getting better.

Series X is the console also that actually planned ahead properly for next gen storage expansion, meanwhile you gotta open the entire PS5 just to do the same. I can go on and on. A UI? I own a PS5. The UI is trash. And the Xbox controller is still better than the dualsense. You think it matters much of it didn't change much when it was already better? The battery life on the controller still sucks ass, my enelooops laugh at the crappy battery life of the dualsense. And the build quality is still as crap as it was before with the stick drift. I've said enough. The triggers are fucking trash... and have already broken on people I know who weren't wise enough to disable that shitty adaptive trigger becoming loose or unresponsive.

I didn’t even bring PS5 into it mate? I was giving my opinions on Series X including the software. I mean, you can talk to me you know, you don’t have to give a aggressive sales pitch, I own the thing!

I didn’t even bring PS5 into it mate? I was giving my opinions on Series X including the software. I mean, you can talk to me you know, you don’t have to give a aggressive sales pitch, I own the thing!
It's a rare skill ...he can cite MSFT marketing materials by heart with such aggressivity.
Artist Reaction GIF

Dolodolo

22 pages of God knows what.
Crystal dynamics is now essentially in charge of the game. All you have to do is sit back and wait to see what happens.

Dolodolo

God. You are so tiring. It's about the Initiative and their game. And for some reason you bring your very important opinion and the console war. God. Sit on your twitter and write fairy tales

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

What is going on? You are just angrily lashing out at this point.

God. You are so tiring. It's about the Initiative and their game. And for some reason you bring your very important opinion and the console war. God. Sit on your twitter and write fairy tales

To be fair that’s my fault as I brought a overall opinion on Series X and went off topic somewhat

Pedro Motta

NEXT GEN...for old games.

The rest is just..like...your opinion man. Why so upset?

Umbasaborne

Banned
I wonder if going forward microsoft will change the log line to say developed by crystal dynamics with guidance by the initiative or something. No way they would admit their big AAAA experiment failed.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Smart delivery aside, a lot of that stuff is pretty niche.

I’d guess that Xbox users using a VRR capable display or a display with Dolby Vision is 2% or less.

Backwards compatibility is good on Xbox, I agree.

Series X is the console also that actually planned ahead properly for next gen storage expansion, meanwhile you gotta open the entire PS5 just to do the same.
Nah. Universal storage wins over proprietary every single time. For both costing, longevity and versatility.

You’d have to be a chimpanzee to not be able to pop a plate and undo a screw. Took me 20 seconds to slot a 500gb drive in to my PS3 Slim.

I can go on and on. A UI? I own a PS5. The UI is trash. And the Xbox controller is still better than the dualsense. You think it matters much of it didn't change much when it was already better? The battery life on the controller still sucks ass, my enelooops laugh at the crappy battery life of the dualsense. And the build quality is still as crap as it was before with the stick drift. I've said enough. The triggers are fucking trash... and have already broken on people I know who weren't wise enough to disable that shitty adaptive trigger becoming loose or unresponsive.
You’re going off on the deep end here, the UI is perfectly serviceable. The controller is personal preference but the Dualsense is definitely revolution over evolution. My Dualsense feels very premium, I use an Elite v2 on my Xbox for comparison. I’d rate the Dualsense above the basic Series pad.

Again, and I have a Freesync 144hz display for my Series S, this is a pretty niche feature.

I agree with your point about VR, waste of time and will never become mainstream.

As to ‘my publisher’s bigger than your publisher’… all that matters is what appeals to everyone personally. I love Bathesda but couldn’t give a toss about Activision, Compulsion, Ninja Theory, InXile and Undead Labs. And the existence of a potentially stronger Xbox first party line up does nothing to diminish Sony and Nintendo’s strong pipeline’s either.

Instead of fighting we should all hold hands and sing kumbaya (over the dead body of The Initiative).

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
After seeing SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage 's posts and Twitter page, I'm convinced MS pays him for the these advertising pitches.

The bit about the FPS boost and the PS5 UI being 'trash' was already very transparent. Series X controller being better than the DualSense was the icing on the cake 😁.

Especially when the main focus of the thread is first-party management and games.

After seeing SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage 's posts and Twitter page, I'm convinced MS pays him for the these advertising pitches.

The bit about the FPS boost and the PS5 UI being 'trash' was already very transparent. Series X controller being better than the DualSense was the icing on the cake 😁.

Especially when the main focus of the thread is first-party management and games.

As I said earlier that’s probably my fault for bringing discussions about the system itself into it.

If any of that is remotely true then it says a lot actually.

I dissagree, it speaks to a larger issue about the state of the games industry and triple a development in general. I really wish phil would come out and make a statement regarding whats going on, to reign in control of the message, even if its just saying like “we underestimated the scale of the project and it will be a while yet before we can say more about it”

That would only energize fanboys into thinking it's a bigger deal than what it actually is. Brand new AAA studio announced 2018, never grew to any significant size to actually develop and ship a AAA game. First AAA games gets announced at Game Awards 2020 (these things are often about recruiting and stuff) and then not very long after that recruitment works better than hoped, they got a whole AAA studio in Crystal Dynamics. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr Hyde

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Imagine calling others fanboys when you are the biggest, most pathetic fanboy on the site.

Last edited:
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Imagine calling others fanboys when you are the biggest, most pathetic fanboy on the site.

I'm sure you would LIKE to believe that, but the truth is a stubborn thing for you guys. Please find me going into threads for popular Playstation games and trolling the fuck outta them like many of you guys do with Xbox games.

Find me doing it just once. Guess what... you will never find me doing it, but for many of the posters here? Jesus... you guys are the all-star team of fanboys, the dream team in fact. Many of the fanboys here mostly hate me because I'm an unapologetic Xbox fan that just won't go away, and you never get exactly what you need to have me permanently banned, so I understand why I must annoy some people. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm sure you would LIKE to believe that, but the truth is a stubborn thing for you guys. Please find me going into threads for popular Playstation games and trolling the fuck outta them like many of you guys do with Xbox games.

Find me doing it just once. Guess what... you will never find me doing it, but for many of the posters here? Jesus... you guys are the all-star team of fanboys, the dream team in fact. Many of the fanboys here mostly hate me because I'm an unapologetic Xbox fan that just won't go away, and you never get exactly what you need to have me permanently banned, so I understand why I must annoy some people. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’m a Xbox fan too mate, more so than PlayStation

Papacheeks

Banned

All I have to do is go back a month SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage and your posts in PlayStation threads basically shit on choices Sony has made with releasing games/features. And it’s basically all the same line of reasoning, that because it’s not doing what Xbox is doing.

No one here is not saying you are not open with what you like in terms of console/ecosystem. I’m very open in what I prefer, but I also like others call out things that are worth talking about.

Right now ps community is pissed off at GT7 recently. And with good reason, and it brings a much larger talking point with Sony making big investments with GAAS type of titles recently.

The same thing is with currently with state of projects/studio’s out of Xbox. And it goes with a larger talking point of the aftermath of condensing studio through acquisitions and how Microsoft is going to be able to manage them.

It’s hard to take Jeff grub and Jez serious on saying the game is ok. I think in hands of CD it will be quality. But is this still years off? Because him saying everything is fine yet, interviews say progress was not moving?

So where is CD coming in production wise? Is this a year, 2 years away? Time is not on MS side, it’s been 5 years?

If this was always the plan which it could be, and maybe there were some false expectations from developers. But that falls on Microsoft. In How they setup this developer and what they promised the people they hired In what they expect from the studio.

They should have never announced fable, perfect dark so early where there’s nothing substantial to show or talk about.

100% this falls on MS. 343i in how they have had issues over multiple projects falls on MS. Rare losing top talent and restarting everwild falls on MS.

So there’s things worth discussing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom