• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena European release date bad news [Update: Suffering continues]

Andrefpvs

At this point, I'm just going to play the hell out of Golden before I buy Arena. It even makes sense, since Arena is the sequel.

bonercop

Index/Atlus can take flak for the region lock decision (which, as has previously been stated, was the biggest developer dick move of the generation), but the delay is down to ASW.

Zen have said the reason for the EU delay is "development issues". In otherwords, they've not received the European version from ASW for one reason or another. This has nothing to do with Atlus, who aren't the developer of P4 Arena. They merely licensed the property to ASW, who made the game. If it does turn out that Atlus were simply sitting on a completed version of the game for months, I'd be furious, but the fact that the Xbox 360 version still hasn't been delivered to Zen makes me think that ASW are still working on it.

What those "development issues" are, I have no idea, but it probably involves converting the game to 50hz to play on PAL SDTVs, and/or getting it to work with the EU PlayStation Store and Xbox LIVE Marketplace. There's also things like inserting any localisation into the game, and also putting Zen/PQube's logo into the game. There's also other issues such as implementing the game updates into the disc code so they don't have to pay Sony/MS for patching. All of this requires extensive testing too, to make sure any changes didn't break the game, or inadvertently did something that would cause the game to fail PAL certification. And despite these changes, the online also needs to be compatible with the US and JP versions, since the game uses global servers (right?). At any rate, it probably required a not-insignificant amount of work to get it ready for the PAL release, and ASW seem to have been taking their time to do it. The fact that Zen haven't even got the Xbox 360 version makes me wonder what the fuck has been going on over there.

See, I don't think ASW would responsible for getting this done. Atlus was heading up the project and, more importantly, they were responsible for QA. Getting a EU build ready seems like it really is their responsibility.

Shahed

I know some of you are saying "I won't buy this because it's bullshit", and it IS, but I hope you don't like stupid vidgame politics get in the way of enjoying a really good game.

It's impossible to tell exactly who the fault lies with anyway. Would you feel better if it was Sony instead of Atlus? ASW instead of Zen United? Possibly all of them are unhappy with it, especially since you'd have to assume all of them want the sales from so large a market.

Oh I'll still play it. Just Atlus won't see any of my money for it. I'll either buy it used or Lovefilm it.

And even if I didn't play it, there are so many good games to play that I just don't have the time for. Missing out on another won't affect me

I know some of you are saying "I won't buy this because it's bullshit", and it IS, but I hope you don't like stupid vidgame politics get in the way of enjoying a really good game.

It's impossible to tell exactly who the fault lies with anyway. Would you feel better if it was Sony instead of Atlus? ASW instead of Zen United? Possibly all of them are unhappy with it, especially since you'd have to assume all of them want the sales from so large a market.
Yeah, I might get it used, although I'm not a fan of the used games model either.

I was/am super excited about it, P4 is one of my favourite games, but... ugh.

V_Arnold

I do not know who is responsible or not, but even if I wanted to eat this game up like someone who was on a hunger strike for a decade, I am seriously contemplating just ignoring the release, when it happens - and write a mail to them to cite the reason as well.

Seriously, if all projects are always like this, get some freaking foresight on the board. I do not care if it means withholding other versions as well for a couple of months, but Europe exists, yo. It really does!

remz

Between this and GG XBLA not being released in australia at all I'm pretty shitty with ArcSys right now.

I want their games so bad but it's so frustrating to get dicked on virtually every single release. BB Continuum Shift ex is like the only one that has come out in a reasonable time frame.

Jintor

So if it comes out in EU are they going to release in AU too, or is this a fucking wait time before another god damn import wait time for me

EVOL 100%

This is fucking dumb. The online has already died down hard in other regions, by the time this game comes out in Europe the online scene might as well as be dead.

Fucking Atlus..

So if it comes out in EU are they going to release in AU too, or is this a fucking wait time before another god damn import wait time for me
AU is the ultimate screwed territory.*

Helps put it all in perspective.

*except for, you know, South America and Saudi Arabia.

This is fucking dumb. The online has already died down hard in other regions, by the time this game comes out in Europe the online scene might as well as be dead.
The online probably won't be dead, but the only people sticking with it are hardcore combo murderers.

How did news of it finally getting a release date suddenly backfire?

(I know most of you probably held that opinion long before the announcement)

hamchan

does anyone who was interested in this game seriously still care anymore about buying this?

I still want to know the story since I love Persona 4 but I can't justify paying full price for a game that is this late. I will pay the appropriate bomba price when it reaches $10-$20 AUS.

Jubern

It's probably that, with that announcement merely being a reminder of the terrible situation and making people re-state their opinion.

Not a backfire, just the continuation of their game being dead on arrival thanks to sheer publisher incompetence.

These titles target specific niches and they've managed to very predictably piss this one off, thus killing any market for it. That's a train wreck Atlus manufactured and phoned in.

The worst part is that we the consumers will be blamed when Persona 4 Arena bombs, and we'll have even less chance of seeing timely releases of Atlus games here, if at all.

Dantis

Too little, too late. Simple.

Before this whole turd, I would have bought any Persona game just because it was Persona.

Now? Not.

Dantis

Not a good way to do things man, alsothisgamewasprettygoodandurapooptheanswerwasworsethanthisandilikedit

I don't know if you've noticed, but I really like Persona. :p

Also, the Answer was solid as a concept, it just had a lame-ass story. I still enjoyed playing through it though.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I really like Persona. :p

Also, the Answer was solid as a concept, it just had a lame-ass story. I still enjoyed playing through it though.

What's a Persona

but according to you, this also had a solid concept

Also, I really, REALLY like DMC bro. DMC2 was a thing. It was also my first DMC!

Dantis

What's a Persona

but according to you, this also had a solid concept

Also, I really, REALLY like DMC bro. DMC2 was a thing. It was also my first DMC!

I actually said aaaages ago "You know, I can really imagine a Persona x Blazblue game. Arc would boss that.".

I didn't actually think they'd do one though.

Dambrosi

Banned
does anyone who was interested in this game seriously still care anymore about buying this?
My avatar is my answer.

I probably shouldn't care at this moment, but I've waited this long, so waiting a couple more months won't hurt. Not that I really want to show any support for this mess.

I wonder how Zen United will make all of this up to us patient customers?

Atolm

We don't have a solid release date yet. Just an estimate.

In any case, March or April (at best)? Almost a whole year delay for a fucking fighting game with no additional localization (they confirmed that a while back)? Seriously?. This game is one of the biggest jokes this gen.

Lain

I was ready to buy it day 1 before the whole region lock debacle and I'm not even all that big on fighting games. It was simply because it was Persona, with some characters I liked and story bits to experience.
Now I can't really say I care anymore to even play the damned game.

My avatar is my answer.

I probably shouldn't care at this moment, but I've waited this long, so waiting a couple more months won't hurt. Not that I really want to show any support for this mess.

I wonder how Zen United will make all of this up to us patient customers?

Got this in addition to my BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Fan edition when the game was delayed from October to December XD (I think), I expect something huge as for making as wait =P

jv2IpKG6CYABU.JPG

Look at the bottom right corner XD (It's a mouse mat in case you were wondering XD)

Zomba13

Got this in addition to my BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Fan edition when the game was delayed from October to December XD (I think), I expect something huge as for making as wait =P

jv2IpKG6CYABU.JPG

Look at the bottom right corner XD (It's a mouse mat in case you were wondering XD)

I'm using that mouse mat at the moment :D

Still super pissed this is taking so long to arrive and the other versions are region locked. Not sure if I'll get this anymore, at least not at full retail price.

daegan

March 29, confirmed by the Spanish distributor of the game.

What a damn travesty. I am really sorry to those of you who didn't get to play it due to the absurd lock - defending it was definitely wrong, but I genuinely believed it was a sign you were getting it in a reasonable amount of time.

So the games out on US PSN next week. I wonder will the region lock still apply.

If GamersHub is reputable, then yes - it will (probably) still apply (Atlus actually doesn't know).

http://thegamershub.net/2013/02/persona-4-arena-hits-us-psn-tomorrow/

Update: We reached out to Atlus to confirm if this will be region locked like the US retail release is.

An Atlus representative replied with: ”It should be like the retail version so I believe that it will have the same region lock”

Unlucky for those who hoped to import across their US PSN accounts

Of course, it's difficult to tell officially until someone attempts to buy it on an EU PS3 with a US PSN account, tries to run using both an EU and US PSN account and tells GAF or any other website of the findings.

I don't believe i've seen the price for this game in digital ?

DOes anyone know ? i saw people asking on the playstation blog but no answer yet ( isn't that strange ? )

I had forgotten about this game even existing for a few months. Now I see that it's still not out and there's no release in sight?

Fuck this. Also the Persona Europe facebook site is disgusting bile. Zen, Arc and Fatlus can go screw themselves, I'm watching the story on YouTube and be done with it.

Europe is not so insignificant that we should accept games releasing eight months later here.

Wow wtf...? This game isn't even out in EU? And it's region locked, goddamn. EU got fucked hard.

many people (including me ) predicted this turn of events as soon as the region lock was introduced in the story . Us players told us that this wasn't important and to wait ..

The way most us players treated us on the internet is a total shame

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So the games out on US PSN next week. I wonder will the region lock still apply.

For whatever it's worth as the situation is different, the Games on Demand version on Xbox is also region locked.

Jucksalbe

Banned
GamesOnDemand...games are always locked if the retail version is locked. For PSN there's simply no precedent. We know PSN titles can be locked from the Revengeance demo, but it's never happened with something you have to pay for.
I just hope someone with a (second?) non-US PS3 is willing to try it out when it goes up later on.

The ultimate drop kick in the balls would be for the euro publisher there's no more business case to releasing it here and dropping the game altogether.

Obviously not happening but from their perspective, that would actually be sensible.

Edit: Delay-wise, isn't this actually worse than the Rayman debacle?

Top Bottom