• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

Esura

Banned
It's ok, I forgive you because I like Aigis too.

5gF6Y.png

Yeah, she also voices Aigis. :p

This is cute as hell right here. The ultimate brofist of the ultimate Persona characters.

I consider myself a part of the Chie army as well. Not only did I keep her in my party the entire game of P4 despite people saying she suck (GOD HAND DOES NOT SUCK!!) but I main her in P4A, with Aigis as my alt. Can't go wrong with a girl who got respect for martial arts movies.

Now all we need is Maki Sonomura and Maya Amano in that pic and its even more perfect.

just noticed o.o

It's always Chie too. How about showing some love for Rise or Nanako eh guys?

Nanako is mah bro. She has to be the best kid character in a video game ever. And her
getting kidnapped and being in the hospital
made me want to go ham on the bad guys with my Personae.

Esura

Banned
Yukiko is pretty adorable too. Her getting fake drunk was hilarious.

I like all the girls in P4. I can't say the same for many other RPGs....

Sophia

Yukiko is far too much like myself in real life. It makes it difficult to truly like her, and it also makes it difficult to play Persona 4 at night when you're going into a laughing fit at the laughing fit. >_>;

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yukiko is far too much like myself in real life. It makes it difficult to truly like her, and it also makes it difficult to play Persona 4 at night when you're going into a laughing fit at the laughing fit. >_>;

Hmm, interesting. :3

Best post of the topic.

Labrys was a bit terrible. Her design is Soejima's weakest character he's done.

If she's in P5, I will be severely disappointed.

"Best post of the topic": Hear hear!

Labrys may look kind of dumb, but she is a good character, way better than Aigis. This is coming from someone who was sure she was gonna suck hard since her design was revealed.

Dantis

And here I was wondering what all the whining on twitter about this thread was.

Ahaha, is that true?

"Best post of the topic": Hear hear!

Labrys may look kind of dumb, but she is a good character, way better than Aigis. This is coming from someone who was sure she was gonna suck hard since her design was revealed.

Yeah, it's mostly the design I didn't like. Well, hated, actually.

The character was mostly fine, though they really pushed the tragedy thing a bit too hard. It came off as a little silly.

Ahaha, is that true?

Yeah, it's mostly the design I didn't like. Well, hated, actually.

The character was mostly fine, though they really pushed the tragedy thing a bit too hard. It came off as a little silly.

well the moment i saw a robot with a Persona in Persona was the part where it already got silly, it has been a while, I got used to the idea by now.

mjc

If the PS2 version didn't exist, this would be a very strong reason to buy a Vita.

But it does. :p

I bought the PS2 version but I never got around to playing it. I'll be buying this for my Vita as my first playthrough, plus I need something to play on my Vita.

Taruranto

Well yeah, both P2 games had much darker plot and characters. Some of the stuff her shadow says were not even hinted in the plot, though. It felt a bit cheap and overly dramatic. The language thing and her obsession to Tatsuya are explained in the plot but the
she was dating old men and what not
part was really out of the blue.

Actually the whole thing is rather common between Japanese schoolgirls who want to raise money fast, and there is even a specific term for it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enjo_kōsai

If you consider how Lisa despised her dad and tries to be as much independent as possible, it makes sense she would go for something like that.
Beside, i appreciate how the characters actually had hidden stuff and more than one personality trait they wanted to hide.

Vortex566

I wonder if this will sell many systems? I'm in the EU and tempted to buy a Vita just for this. Anyone else in the same boat?

Koroviev

If the PS2 version didn't exist, this would be a very strong reason to buy a Vita.

But it does. :p

I prefer this kind of game on handheld. By that same token, I'm not keen on handheld 3D action games.

I wonder if this will sell many systems? I'm in the EU and tempted to buy a Vita just for this. Anyone else in the same boat?

It's the reason I bought one back in April. Well, that and Gravity Rush.

Omikaru

I'm in EU, and I'm thinking about importing this.
Where should I buy it?

videogamesplus.ca or play-asia.com are who I use.

Play-Asia will save you a little bit (about £1-2) because the total cost of the item (which has free shipping) is cheaper than VG+'s item cost + shipping, but from experience parcels from Play-Asia can take about 2+ weeks to arrive in the UK, whereas stuff from VG+ takes 4-7 working days. Not sure if that'll be longer or shorter for mainland Europe, but I can't see it being too different.

In the case of P4G, I want the game to arrive promptly, so I went with VG+, but sometimes I go with Play-Asia if their price is better.

magawolaz

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/ is apparently a good site to import from. I often see those in Europe recommend it for imports.
Hmm, it looks like it's cheaper than what I would pay over here... even with the game at full price + shipping, lol

Is the $7.49 shipping method the only one available? How long does it take to ship to Europe?

EDIT:
videogamesplus.ca or play-asia.com are who I use.

Play-Asia will save you a little bit (about £1-2) because the total cost of the item (which has free shipping) is cheaper than VG+'s item cost + shipping, but from experience parcels from Play-Asia can take about 2+ weeks to arrive in the UK, whereas stuff from VG+ takes 4-7 working days. Not sure if that'll be longer or shorter for mainland Europe, but I can't see it being too different.

In the case of P4G, I want the game to arrive promptly, so I went with VG+, but sometimes I go with Play-Asia if their price is better.
Cheers, videogameplus it is then.

kewlmyc

This thread has went through about 4 different topics since it's creation, it really is quite humorous. Also the chick voicing Chie now has great range looking back at her voice acting history, but her Chie is still pretty bad. She's fine when she isn't yelling, but Chie is a character that constantly yells, so so much for that.

Also, if we're talking about favorite girls, I guess my would be Chie, but only by default. Yukiko is boring and Rise's and idol and I hate idols. Naoto's cool I guess, but I despised her social link and don't like how she's supposed to be some sort of super detective yet does nothing but state the obvious or shit you already figured out in game. None of the girls hold a finger to Elizabeth though.

Yeah, I think it will sell some systems. Okay, shitty guess incoming, I guess the game will sell about 50,000 copies and 5,000 Vitas. I'm in the USA so I can't guess on EU or Canada.

thuway

Can we leave Vita sales talk out of this thread please? For those of you who have played it, is this worth getting?

I am going on a plane trip next month that will be around 36 hours. The last trip I took, I played Lunar Silver Star Harmony and enjoyed it tremendously. Can this game offer me that same sort of adventure and wonderment?

Can we leave Vita sales talk out of this thread please? For those of you who have played it, is this worth getting?

I am going on a plane trip next month that will be around 36 hours. The last trip I took, I played Lunar Silver Star Harmony and enjoyed it tremendously. Can this game offer me that same sort of adventure and wonderment?

this game is more down to earth, with a small town and building friendships and managing your normal every day life while at the same time fighting shadows in a tv and solving a murder msyery

Astra

I have never played LSS, so I can't make a comparison. P4 definitely does not have a grand adventure. It's a dungeon crawler with social sim aspects. Or maybe a social sim with dungeon crawler aspects, and takes place in a very small rural town. Either way, it has some great characters, a very fun turn-based battle system, and a fun social sim system.
I'm sorry, but I am pretty terrible at explaining all the fine (and not-so-fine) points of a game. Someone can do a much better job, I'm sure. Of course I feel it's worth getting.

P90

I have never played LSS, so I can't make a comparison. P4 definitely does not have a grand adventure. It's a dungeon crawler with social sim aspects. Or maybe a social sim with dungeon crawler aspects, and takes place in a very small rural town. Either way, it has some great characters, a very fun turn-based battle system, and a fun social sim system.
I'm sorry, but I am pretty terrible at explaining all the fine (and not-so-fine) points of a game. Someone can do a much better job, I'm sure. Of course I feel it's worth getting.

I'll just add that P4's adventure is more introspection and on a "everyday" scale versus LSS' large, large scale scope and adventure. LSS is a primarily an external adventure. P4 is, mainly, an internal (psychological) adventure. Persona-lly, one of the reasons I love P4 so much is that it is so "real world" and introspective. YMMV. P4's characters/dialogue are some of the best, if not the best, in video games. I think this is pretty evident by how many P4 avatars you see on NeoGAF. I don't think any game/series outside of Pokemon and Mario comes close.

Astra

I'll just add that P4's adventure is more introspection and on a "everyday" scale versus LSS' large, large scale scope and adventure. LSS is a primarily an external adventure. P4 is, mainly, an internal (psychological) adventure. Persona-lly, one of the reasons I love P4 so much is that it is so "real world" and introspective. YMMV. P4's characters/dialogue are some of the best, if not the best, in video games. I think this is pretty evident by how many P4 avatars you see on NeoGAF. I don't think any game/series outside of Pokemon and Mario comes close.

Very nicely said, and I agree. I enjoy these slice of life (for lack of a better term) stories. I love the mix of the mundane, and transmundane in the Persona games.

Roto13

Oh shit.

If you go to the TV Listings (extras menu) at midnight, you can watch the Midnight Channel and poke Teddie through the screen.

That's awesome.

Dantis

If you haven't played the PS2 one, it is absolutely worth getting.

If you have... not so much.

Has anybody confirmed whether the cast interviews are in the English version of Persona 4 Golden?

Also, I had posted that I would do the OT for the game but it turns out I can't do it, but I can still have a batch of GAF avatars done. Who should I PM about those, or do I just post em in here? Seems like the only thread that people are really talking about P4G in at the moment.

Top Bottom