• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
You're a good person, and should feel good.

I wonder if the voice actress that does Chie is new to voice acting?
She's not really bad, but she sounds kind of amateurish. Of course, that could be voice directing, but everybody else sounds fine. For example, in the video that Sophia linked, it seems like she is trying TOO hard to sound like a teenage girl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Fitzgerald

Definitely not. :p

On a side note, I kinda like new Chie more, I'll have to hear more than just little bits here and there to get a full impression.

I also like new Teddie. I liked the old Teddie, too. Luckily the new one sounds great, and very similar to old Teddie.

Any Teddie is better than hearing KUMA KUMA KUMA After. Every. Single. Line.

Astra

Don't like new Chie. Don't really remember old Chie that much, but listening to clips prefer the old one. And more clips of the new one and I just don't like her. Oh well, I hope once I'm in the flow of the game it will just become her voice rather than sticking out.

Same with new Teddie, but from what very little I have heard I like the new voice better comparatively.

I also like new Teddie. I liked the old Teddie, too. Luckily the new one sounds great, and very similar to old Teddie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Fitzgerald

Definitely not. :p

On a side note, I kinda like new Chie more, I'll have to hear more than just little bits here and there to get a full impression.

Oh, wow. I haven't played most of what she's in, but from what I have played, I actually found most of the characters she voiced to be kind of annoying. Guess she just doesn't click with me as a voice actress.

You can watch the anime dub. I've gotten used to her in that, and she doesn't grate on my ears quite as much. Still not a fan, though.

Any Teddie is better than hearing KUMA KUMA KUMA After. Every. Single. Line.

I have not heard this, and I hope to never experience. Seems annoying enough as just text, haha.

Yeah, I don't know if I made myself clear on that post. Anyways, I like new Teddie. Think he is pretty close to old Teddie voice, which was great. I also didn't really remember exactly how he sounded, but when I listened to an old clip it was pretty much just what I expected. Therefore close is good on the new one.

And I can appreciate the too old critique for old Chie, but there is something that for a lack of appropriate vocabulary in the voice acting arena I will call a "thickness" about the way she enunciates words that I find irksome.

Midou

In truth, while I didn't mind the original Chie's voice, she did sound a bit, old? I guess. I don't mind her work in Catherine and Virtue's Last Reward so I'll have to see... or hear.

Astra

Yeah, I don't know if I made myself clear on that post. Anyways, I like new Teddie. Think he is pretty close to old Teddie voice, which was great. I also didn't really remember exactly how he sounded, but when I listened to an old clip it was pretty much just what I expected. Therefore close is good on the new one.

And I can appreciate the too old critique for old Chie, but there is something that for a lack of appropriate vocabulary in the voice acting arena I will call a "thickness" about the way she enunciates words that I find irksome.

You were pretty clear, I was just agreeing with you that new Teddie sounds great.

Definitely agree on new Chie. She just sounds... off.

Uncle AJ

New Chie VA took some getting used to, and nothing will ever top "a-HA!............. is THIS our chance?" But let's be honest: original Chie sounded like a middle-aged lady. The new VA, while not the same, is more appropriate for the character.

I'm an equal opportunity Chie enthusiast.

Hey, what if Erika-Chie was the original and Rooney-Chie was in P4G and P4A? I wonder if the same pattern of deviation would occur.

Sophia

It's amazing how similar it looks to the Vita version. Imagine if they'd upped the graphics to take advantage of the extra power. Could've been really nice.

Wait. It's amazing how similar the PS2 version does or how similar my six times the native resolution emulated screenshot does? =p

cj_iwakura

Hey, what if Erika-Chie was the original and Rooney-Chie was in P4G and P4A? I wonder if the same pattern of deviation would occur.

Well, thing that made the original Chie special was that she wasn't from the usual corral of voice actors. She came and she went, back to the real world. :(

(As I understand it she was a TV actress who just happened to audition.)

Astra

It's a good question. I liked original Chie's voice right away when I played P4. I thought Yukiko was a little off, but she was quick to grow on me.
As for new Chie, I said in an earlier post how I found the characters she voiced in some of the games I played to be on the annoying side.
I think I can safely say that I would find Rooney-Chie a definite improvement.

Sophia

I will never in my life be able to read another Persona thread without Chie being brought up every two seconds, will I?

I know right? There are much better characters to talk about. Like Aigis. :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go hide before ChieGAF kills me.

Voices aren't faces.

Age doesn't matter too much anyhow. The actress who plays Nanako is a mother herself.

Astra

Age doesn't matter too much anyhow. The actress who plays Nanako is a mother herself.

Your adorable avatar makes it impossible to kill you. I'll stare daggers at you, instead ಠ_ಠ.

I love Aigis, too, and am always up for Aigis talk.

Edit: Holy crap, jello, that picture is great!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

It's ok, I forgive you because I like Aigis too.

5gF6Y.png

Yeah, she also voices Aigis. :p

Sophia

Yeah, she also voices Aigis. :p

I was actually trying to ignore that fact, as it's the best example I had off the top of my head. Voice acting seems to have more to do with the director anyhow; I've seen some extremely talented actors preform badly in one game or show and amazing in another.

Oh my god at that image XD

Astra

A mere 11 more days. I hope I don't suffer the crapshoot of Canadian shipping, and get my premium edition a week late!

Edit: Three Chie's in a row. Now that's lookin' gooood.

A mere 11 more days. I hope I don't suffer the crapshoot of Canadian shipping, and get my premium edition a week late!

Edit: Three Chie's in a row. Now that's lookin' gooood.

I'm going to get a steak and take a picture of it for the OT. You guys should too. If you're vegetarian, get a picture of pudding, since Chie loves that so much.

hes right though, wheres the army of any other character, id rather raise the lisa silverman army because at least she was an original character and not a copy of lisa silverman steak

I dunno, I just see it as Chie became popular and people don't like her and/or the fan's fandom. I don't know anything about who's original or whatever. If Lisa made a big impression on players and got really popular with a large fanbase we'd see the same thing, I suppose.

Comet

I'm glad P4G will be my first experience with the game and I don't have to worry about any of this Chie nonsense for now!

I dunno, I just see it as Chie became popular and people don't like her and/or the fan's fandom. I don't know anything about who's original or whatever. If Lisa made a big impression on players and got really popular with a large fanbase we'd see the same thing, I suppose.

shes a P2 character, so that's not happening. Rise and Chie are both based on Lisa, Yosuke is based off of Eikichi. Truth be told, I like Chie, shes a really cool character, but yep.

Astra

I'm going to get a steak and take a picture of it for the OT. You guys should too. If you're vegetarian, get a picture of pudding, since Chie loves that so much.

I like the way you think, sir!
I have lots of pictures of steak. My friend and I love steak... a lot. So when I am BBQ'ing some steak, I am always sure to snap a picture of those beauties, and send them to him.
I'm a bit of a tease.

Haha, I know nothing about the Chie fandom, and I will stay away from it (and all fandom). Chie has always been a favorite character of mine. I don't count myself among the Chie army. I prefer to think of myself as part of the Elite ChieGAF Mercenary Force.

Astra

Aren't those the same thing? :p

No way, GAF is a cut above the rest of the internet dregs!

Really, though, I have no idea how bad the militant Chie fans really are. I've seen how crazy some fandom can get, and I keep my distance.

Like jello, I'm just playing around in this thread. Especially after the comments about Chie fans, I stepped it up, haha.

cj_iwakura

shes a P2 character, so that's not happening. Rise and Chie are both based on Lisa, Yosuke is based off of Eikichi. Truth be told, I like Chie, shes a really cool character, but yep.

The shadows in Lisa's closet are more screwed up than Rise's and Chie's combined.

ZTGD reviews count? They just gave P4G a 10/10.

Chie has always been a favorite character of mine. I don't count myself among the Chie army. I prefer to think of myself as part of the Elite ChieGAF Mercenary Force.

TBH, Persona 4 was the first RPG that I had played in 3 years when I got it and I didn't really care for the design of the characters at all, especially Chie. I guess that what I like about her doesn't have to do with her design. Two friends of mine, who are like SOCOM and COD dudebros, played some Persona 4 and hated it, but they liked Chie. Hmmm, what the hell is up with that Chie?

The shadows in Lisa's closet are more screwed up than Rise's and Chie's combined.

Yeah, I think she had sex with that dude in your avatar :)

Astra

TBH, Persona 4 was the first RPG that I had played in 3 years when I got it and I didn't really care for the design of the characters at all, especially Chie. I guess that what I like about her doesn't have to do with her design. Two friends of mine, who are like SOCOM and COD dudebros, played some Persona 4 and hated it, but they liked Chie. Hmmm, what the hell is up with that Chie?

What IS up with that Chie? She brings out the passion in people, whether it be for her, or hatred against her (and those who love her)!

So, it seems she grew on you. She has a way of charming her way in, and charm usually isn't something that comes to mind when thinking of Chie.

P90

What IS up with that Chie? She brings out the passion in people, whether it be for her, or hatred against her (and those who love her)!

So, it seems she grew on you. She has a way of charming her way in, and charm usually isn't something that comes to mind when thinking of Chie.

She is total charm. I think a decent part of that is Rooney's voice acting. TBH, Yukiko and Naoto had more charm written into their scripts. I credit Rooney's VA as the difference maker.

Vamphuntr

Well yeah, both P2 games had much darker plot and characters. Some of the stuff her shadow says were not even hinted in the plot, though. It felt a bit cheap and overly dramatic. The language thing and her obsession to Tatsuya are explained in the plot but the
she was dating old men and what not
part was really out of the blue.

It's really hard to compare the the characters between the games as their expected roles are not the same at all. The overall tone of the games are vastly different too.

What made Lisa a great character was also her interaction with Eikichi. It was sort of like a cat and dog quarrel. Her Chinese expressions were her cute too.

It's too bad P2 is not fully voiced as even though I'm not a big fan of the dub, the main characters VA were all tolerable. Chie's VA in the original really felt awful to me. It seemed like a 40 something lady trying to act like a 16 years old and failing badly at it.

Astra

She is total charm. I think a decent part of that is Rooney's voice acting. TBH, Yukiko and Naoto had more charm written into their scripts. I credit Rooney's VA as the difference maker.

Yeah, I thought it was great.
I do wonder how well received Chie would have been for me with a different VA.

just noticed o.o

It's always Chie too. How about showing some love for Rise or Nanako eh guys?

I show my love for Chie and Yukiko. I was rocking a Yukiko avatar for a little while, and will switch to a Yukiko one again eventually, or maybe Teddie.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Wow Erin Fitzgerald butchers Chie's voice I'll stick with P4, wonder why they could not get Tracey Rooney to return.

No idea, according to IMDB, the last thing she did was appear in an episode of Revenge, in 2011. According to her resume, seems she does a bunch of theater stuff too, so maybe she was involved in that and couldn't commit.

Top Bottom