• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 also launching on PS4, releasing 2015 ["waifu"/"husbando" crap = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Like someone said, I doubt that the jump on PS4 will be that different. If anything, it might just be a straight port considering that Atlus isn't this huge corporation. Moreover, anyone feel that this game might be centered around a college student? Just looks too old to be a high school student.

You just quoted a post from a completely different thread? "Are Square delivering a message for Dragon Quest XI ?..."

Still no gameplay? What's the usual way Atlus releases that kind of stuff? It's been a year, I thought they'd at least show that with the PS4 announcement.

This is just a cartoon trailer.

I think their way of unveiling a Persona game (since 3) is to announce it and give some informations around 3 months before release. I am actually surprised they showed a cartoon trailer. But the series got much more attention recently...so who knows.

Thorgal

PSY・S;127953149 said:
??? The MC looks like the most generic anime dude I've ever seen. Edit: I'm exaggerating, but still. This wasn't a good first impression.

While true , to me The MC of P4 gave me that same response .

How Wrong i was .

But that being said , How well will he match up against Yu "BROSWAGONIST " Narukami ?

OuterLimits

Now imagine a world where SMT 5 comes out for PS4...

Eh, I prefer JRPGs on a handheld console or mobile device.

Cool to see Persona 5 be a cross gen title though. Makes getting a PS4 more tempting to me definitely. I just need a couple more games on the system that interest me and I am buying the system.

Cha

Look at it again. The guy is running into the other guy because he was looking at his phone and didn't pay attention to his environment.

Actually, now that you mention it, mobile phones are in almost EVERY shot of that trailer. The fire at the end was someone's battery burning up. It all makes sense now.

Persona 5 plot revolves around jumping into mobile phones CONFIRMED!!
;)

rtcn63

Bishie Kojima confirmed as protagonist

gaming-hideo-kojima-2.jpg

Teletraan1

Banned
I am so happy I don't have to argue with fake business analysts anymore about where Persona's audience might or might not be.

Will pick up for PS4.

For any owners of both vita and ps4, the ps4 version will be the version to get definitely. Can't think of a more suitable game for remote play. Makes a possible vita version pretty redundant for me at least. If the ps4 version makes good use of the hardware and features as well, I can see a lot of people upgrading from ps3 to ps4 for this game alone.

_woLf

Seems a bit plain but I assume that's intended. Love how it'll be a big city though...lots of things they can do with that.

I am sooooo looking forward to this. PS4 day zero.

its in tokyo? scramble crossing? too much twewy? i thought he was going to look at the sign on top of the 109 and it was going to say something that only he could read..

Frolow

Banned
Probably not the perfect thread to ask this in, but the trailer piked my interested:

Is Persona 4 worth playing if I already know the big twist and don't enjoy overly anime games? I think I'd enjoy the RPG mechanics of the game, but not much else.

Mononoke

Banned
Probably not the perfect thread to ask this in, but the trailer piked my interested:

Is Persona 4 worth playing if I already know the big twist and don't enjoy overly anime games? I think I'd enjoy the RPG mechanics of the game, but not much else.

Yes, because the way the story is executed is really what matters. The twist/conclusion doesn't ruin it at all. It's an incredible ride front to back regardless if you know where it's heading. Also the gameplay is really fuckin good. Totally worth playing.

zeromcd73

Despite the very anime look to the game, I find Persona 4 to be a very special and fantastic game that people who don't like anime games can even enjoy.

It's a bit of a shame you know the twist, but would still highly recommend.

I don't know why you ended up spoiling it for yourself or why someone else did for you, but yeah you'll like it. (Especially since the games all have a lot of replay value imo.) Also, as someone mentioned beforehand, P4's beauty is in its game mechanics and ability to make you feel for its cast. Fantastic game.

InsuRn

Very happy about this. I would have like a Vita version too, but I'll just Remote Play from the PS4 to get the same result :)

You'll be missing on a big part of P4, but the gameplay is competent on it's own.

Hope the story is decent and not that sycophantic hero worship shit that was persona 4.

Pls nobody call me senpai and ask me to punch them in the face.

MC looks like he doesn't have one ounce of swag, almost as bad as that blue haired jerk in P3. I can take some solace in that he'll be silent so I can salvage what little swag I can get from him.

Yu was too damn good I tell ya.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
The fire reflecting in his glasses looks to be shaped like a winged demon to me. Also, not sure if just a mistake, on the train the logo on his uniform has no writing on / around it, but it does on the street.

aoqask.gif

Mononoke

Banned
Hope the story is decent and not that sycophantic hero worship shit that was persona 4.

lol wat? I can agree that Yu was pretty much swag as shit (everyone wanted to be with him). But what is wrong with having a character like that? The MC in Persona 3 wasn't that way. As were the ones in 1 and 2. Every MC has been their own thing.

I agree that I don't want another Yu MC (as I want variety). But I don't really see why making an MC that people really like, makes it shit.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Sweet that we finally have a trailer, though the 2015 push-back is potentially worrisome.

Unless they're delaying it so it can have a WW release, ofc

Sami+

Man alive, all the PS4 owners in this thread are thirsty as fuck for games.

Serves you right for buying it on the promise of one game that isn't even out yet. You silly billys.

And proof, if any was needed, that indie games cannot, in fact, fill the gap that the current dearth of AAA games has left. Indies alone cannot justify expensive electronics purchases, no matter how innovative or immersive they are.

On topic, the protag is certainy...pretty, isn't he? And I thought Yu was a bishy sorta dude. If P5 Protag had a voice actor, I wouldn't be surprised if it were Romi Park.

And yay at the big city setting. I don't think I could've taken another Inaba after P4's recent over-exposure.

I'm happy with my PS4, actually. I'm just not interested in downgrading back to PS3 for a brand new game. Skipped Drakengard 3 for that reason, and I probably won't get Zestiria either.

MC looks like he doesn't have one ounce of swag, almost as bad as that blue haired jerk in P3. I can take some solace in that he'll be silent so I can salvage what little swag I can get from him.

Yu was too damn good I tell ya.
Damn right next to each other.

Jachaos

If you have a Vita and can play Persona 4 Golden, yeah. What's the twist you know? Spoiler tag it, but there's a few nice twists so you probably don't know of a few. Also, what matters is the characters and the execution itself. It's an amazingly well crafted world that I enjoyed a lot and it's living out the story in that world that's the best part to me. I guess I would say it's the characters over the plot. The characters and their interactions with one another is better than the plot itself in my opinion. Kind of like with The Last of Us if that makes sense. If you knew the ending to The Last of Us but knew nothing else, would it still be a game to play? Absolutely, at least in my book.

Also, I hadn't played a game with anime-looking characters in over a decade (well there's Fire Emblem, but excluding that). I was digging the game the moment it started. The game has its share of anime cutscenes, some I could do without, but it is the general opinion here that it's one of the games most enjoyed by people who generally aren't fans of anime. The voice-acting is superb, the combat flows with the rest of the game as the banter from characters continues on in-battle, the music is great (fits the vibe very well) and varied, the UI is the best looking UI I've seen.

lol wat? I can agree that Yu was pretty much swag as shit (everyone wanted to be with him). But what is wrong with having a character like that? The MC in Persona 3 wasn't that way. As were the ones in 1 and 2. Every MC has been their own thing.

I agree that I don't want another Yu MC (as I want variety). But I don't really see why making an MC that people really like, makes it shit.

It was just so embarrassing to me. How everyone's lives finally were worth living when they spent time with you. I don't want to deal with that level of weird obsession.

I liked that in P3, you had to work your way to be friends with Mitsuru and Akihiko wouldn't even look in your direction for most of the game. Made me feel like I wasn't in the midst of a bunch of social inbreds with no friends.

This game is literally the only reason I was holding onto my PS3. PS4 purchase here I fucking come. If people thought I was an xbox fanboy before, that's largely because I felt it was just the more interesting console of the two in a number of ways that I found exciting, at least much more exciting than what I saw going on with the PS4. This announcement in addition to the Dragon Quest announcement that I just learned about, changes all of that completely. My entire view on the PS4 up until this point, that they simply weren't doing and announcing enough of the big stuff that people expect to see announced, and that they really needed to do a whole lot better, was answered to my complete satisfaction with all this recent news. In fact, as far as I'm concerned they have over delivered in this particular case. JRPGs are my favorite kinds of games, hands down. It's still what I view as the primary weakness in the Xbox One lineup.

Just the Persona 5 announcement for the PS4 alone, even if it were the only game I would ever buy for my PS4 (which I doubt), would totally justify a PS4 purchase all by itself. This is that big a deal in my eyes. Legitimate megaton announcements at TGS for the PS4! Where's that picture of Yoshida sleeping at some event last time? I'm sure he's wide awake now! :)

Mononoke

Banned
It was just so embarrassing to me. How everyone's lives finally were worth living when they spent time with you. I don't want to deal with that level of weird obsession.

I liked that in P3, you had to work your way to be friends with Mitsuru and Akihiko wouldn't even look in your direction for most of the game. Made me feel like I wasn't in the midst of a bunch of social inbreds with no friends.

Fair enough. It didn't bother me at all, but then again I loved all the characters in Persona 4. I can see where you are coming from though. I think the problem is, while past MC's haven't been as popular as Yu (in terms of everyone wanting to be near him), there is an element of the MC always being the one that solves peoples issues. Or the one that people become better because of the MC. It's apart of the game design.

So it's kind of problematic in a way.

Venfayth

You will be called senpai unless the localization team decides to take out honorifics, which is not common so far in the Persona series.

"Hero worship shit" simplifies the social links down to a level that is ignorant of their purpose.

The bolded doesn't even happen in Persona 4, I don't know what you're referring to. The MC makes a big difference in a lot of peoples lives, yeah, but nobody depends on him that much or ever says or even implies that he's the only reason they're alive. I guess thematically the game is more positive in the way that it depicts friendly relationships, but if your whole problem with Persona 4 versus Persona 3 is that people aren't aloof enough, I think you're being fucking silly.

edit: The more and more I think about it, the more it seems like a waste of time to force you to climb through some contrived social ladder in order to experience the S.Links - don't waste my time shortening them by forcing me to attain some level of popularity or bullshit just to get to the same content. Mechanically it's inane.

Furthermore both P4 and P3 have 'gated' social links that require you to get certain stats (courage / knowledge etc) before you can initiate them. I'm really lost, I don't know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom