• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 delayed to Summer 2016 for PS3/PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Wait, what? Where in my argument was I not being reasonable? And where did I specifically mention anyone as lying?

Again, even if they didn't know you should not confidently and repeatedly speak about the release date. Everyone was expecting a 2016 release until Atlus US.

moomoo14

I am simply shocked, I say! /s

I'm okay with Atlus taking their time. If it means a better game, then by all means. Plus, I'll actually have time to play it in the summer.

autoduelist

I want games to release when they're ready to, not be forced to release early due to marketing pressures. If a game needs a delay, give it a delay.

I have enough backlog to last me forever.

Time marches on, it'll be 2016 eventually.

Not an issue.

RexNovis

Banned
Fuck ATLUS for their continual assurance that this was a 2015 title. There is absolutely no way they thought it was actually coming this year if the delay is that long.

I mean WTF? Why would you lie to your fans over and over again like that? What is there to gain by doing that? All you do is upset the very people who buy your games and I think it's clear that people are very very upset. I fail to see how any of this benefits ATLUS.

If they have to delay it all the way to August I am fine with it. I had PSN cash set aside for the title but I don't want it to release half finished. I can't sit here and complain about half finished releases with major day 1 patches and day 1 DLC and then complain about a game being delayed. I'm more consistent than that.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Persona 5 gets moved to 2016: The year of AAA jrpg releases. This is the best thing for it.

Nimby

Banned
What happened here (i.e. poor image management resulting in worse relationships with customers) is literally the exact opposite of what a PR person's job is. :p

Like, in a PR position, it is always, basically 100% of the time the wrong choice to knowingly lie about something that you will inevitably be exposed on while memory's still fresh enough for people to remember unless there's something very specific you're trying to accomplish by a set time. It destroys trust in the brand and in the person doing the PR, which means next time there's a scenario where you could leverage PR to get your company off easy with something you'll have much less leverage to do it.

You're 100% correct, but I was mostly referring to people being upset at AtlusUSA for reiterating 2015 when it was possibly the only information they had about the release date. The blame doesn't solely fall on AtlusUSA PR in this situation, but the company as a whole with this blatant miscommunication. Is there seriously something AtlusUSA could have done better given the boundaries of what AtlusJP deems worthy to mention about the game? At least, that's the way I see it.

Fuck ATLUS for their continual assurance that this was a 2015 title. There is absolutely no way they thought it was actually coming this year if the delay is that long.

I mean WTF? Why would you lie to your fans over and over again like that? What is there to gain by doing that? All you do is upset the very people who buy your games and I think it's clear that people are very very upset. I fail to see how any of this benefits ATLUS.
Look at the bright side, you will be getting a better game because of the delay.

Read your tag as "Hardinlied".

I started to play Persona 4 for the first time due to this delay news. I've owned it for years but after persona 3 I knew the amount of time needed to finish these games. Man this one starts so much stronger than persona 3. Liking it so far.

FluxWaveZ

I started to play Persona 4 for the first time due to this delay news. I've owned it for years but after persona 3 I knew the amount of time needed to finish these games. Man this one starts so much stronger than persona 3. Liking it so far.

Whoa, I think you actually might be in the minority here, from what I've seen. I've actually never seen anyone say this; it seems the common opinion was that people liked how shit immediately hits the fan in Persona 3 compared to the slow and steady start of Persona 4.

Enjoy!

Whoa, I think you actually might be in the minority here, from what I've seen. I've actually never seen anyone say this; it seems the common opinion was that people liked how shit immediately hits the fan in Persona 3 compared to the slow and steady start of Persona 4.

Enjoy!
I like the build up of the mystery and the character introductions and roll out. Yes persona 3 might be more bombastic but this build up has me more intrigued.

Enjoy!

honestly felt that,
apart from makoto's awakening
, p3 was slower than p4. at the very least the story had me more in p4 at this point than p3

Is there seriously something AtlusUSA could have done better given the boundaries of what AtlusJP deems worthy to mention about the game?

It's really a question of what they knew about. As others have laid out, it seems pretty implausible that they could have actually been completely in the dark about this, so if they were I'm pretty curious how that could have happened.

I need a response from Atlus about how they were so confident for a 2015 release. I don't believe Altus USA lied intentionally, but they can't be THAT much in the dark to not know that the game was coming Summer 2016.

cj_iwakura

It's really a question of what they knew about. As others have laid out, it seems pretty implausible that they could have actually been completely in the dark about this, so if they were I'm pretty curious how that could have happened.

Eh, if you've heard the murmurings about how Atlus JP runs things, it's not really that surprising at all.

Eh, if you've heard the murmurings about how Atlus JP runs things, it's not really that surprising at all.

If they hadn't gotten anything yet, they'd have known it wouldn't be out in 2016 because localization takes time, especially for such a text heavy game. Either they knew because of the localization progress that had been made, or they knew because they hadn't made any progress. Either way they knew

I am 100% sure at the very least Hardin had no idea about the delay. I mean he did post that he's eating crow on Twitter.

If Hardin honestly had no idea and was just saying what he was told, he's still in the wrong/ Dude went out of his way several times to reassure people. If he wasn't extremely confident and didn't have any real evidence, he really should have just stayed quiet

If Hardin honestly had no idea and was just saying what he was told, he's still in the wrong/ Dude went out of his way several times to reassure people. If he wasn't extremely confident and didn't have any real evidence, he really should have just stayed quiet

Yeah, this is the thing. Who just repeatedly doubles down on something when they don't actually know what's going on? I don't particularly blame Hardin, mind. It's clearly more Atlus' fault than his; they should have sent word to stop talking about the 2015 release date.

raven777

yea this. The fact that person knew or had no idea about delay is irrelevant.

Soriku

If they hadn't gotten anything yet, they'd have known it wouldn't be out in 2016 because localization takes time, especially for such a text heavy game. Either they knew because of the localization progress that had been made, or they knew because they hadn't made any progress. Either way they knew

Yeah, if nothing else, localization progress should be a good indication of where they stand. So how much have they localized?

Kinda bummed about this but hopefully it will make Persona 5 a better game for it. My question is summer 2016 in Japan but when will it release in the west? Also the trailer is pure hype for me.

Jachaos

Well if the next number of months are polishing and adding in some extra content then one can assume that they've done work on it and he figured they'd make it in time for a 2015 release if they were told they could. Either way, he's in PR, if he's told to repeat 2015 because Atlus doesn't want news/speculation of the delay to come out of Atlus USA's mouth then he just has to go with it. Doing otherwise would be foolish, we already saw the hit by investors when everything was done to mitigate the blow this week.

FluxWaveZ

Either way, he's in PR, if he's told to repeat 2015 because Atlus doesn't want news/speculation of the delay to come out of Atlus USA's mouth then he just has to go with it. Doing otherwise would be foolish, we already saw the hit by investors when everything was done to mitigate the blow this week.

Yeah. But I will say that there are certain things I really don't think Hardin should have done, as PR, if the status of the game's release date was actually as uncertain as it turned out to be. The Persona Community avatar bet he participated in is one of these: it's really not something he should have directly involved himself in like that, even if it's just being playful. There were also moments that they went out of their way to repeat the "2015" date, like in that infamous Facebook picture.

I understand official statements, like when asked in interviews or press releases, but it's these kinds of informal acknowledgements, in particular, that make people lose faith.

Jachaos

Yeah. But I will say that there are certain things I really don't think Hardin should have done, as PR, if the status of the game's release date was actually as uncertain as it turned out to be. The Persona Community avatar bet he participated in is one of these: it's really not something he should have directly involved himself in like that, even if it's just being playful. There were also moments that they went out of their way to repeat the "2015" date, like in that infamous Facebook picture.

I understand official statements, like when asked in interviews or press releases, but it's these kinds of informal acknowledgements, in particular, that make people lose faith.

True, it did reinforce the impression that there was no chance it was going to be delayed by how confident they acted in the 2015 release date. I really hope they show up at PSX with a translated trailer, at least menu/UI if not voice acting.

Slashlen

True, it did reinforce the impression that there was no chance it was going to be delayed by how confident they acted in the 2015 release date. I really hope they show up at PSX with a translated trailer, at least menu/UI if not voice acting.

Nah, they have to save that trailer for E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom