• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Famitsu Review Score: 39/40 (10/10/10/9)

Shin-chan

I haven't kept track of them, I just learn words and also kanji as a byproduct, not studying kanji alone :(

I know around 3000 words according to my flashcard software but the actual number is larger as that's not the only place I learn words from. When I get new ones a lot of them are "oh I know this one already".

But I've studied for 7 years now.
Sheeeeit. I need to get to work! I'm just approaching 500 now after a solid month of learning them.

One day I will play Yakuza Ishin.

Famitsu doesn't give much of that.

Which is the real reason why you shouldn't care for famitsu reviews.

Only 16 runs but

http://www.gamelengths.com/games/playtimes/Persona+4/

It's in line with my playtimes.

970e607896444beaa15a0fecd7374462.png

Seems legit!

Are there any high profile games that Famitsu didn't score well? Seems like the only time I see Famitsu brought up is when they give high scores.

Ydelnae

Persona 3 took my 75 hours and Persona 4, 80, so I'm fine with the gameplay length as long as the game doesn't become tedious and there are lots of things to do.

Z3M0G

Good to see its 80 hours or so long. Hopefully that's full of stuff to do

I just hope it is not as grindy as P4G... I guess it reflects the high-school life quite well, but by the 50 hour mark, I was getting tired of repeating the same daily cycle once every 2-3 minutes...

.JayZii

Banned
Persona 3 and Persona 4 both got 33/40. Atlus is figuring out their PR game.

I'm quitting my life to live in Persona 5.

Z3M0G

80 hours is press time. Any normal gamer can shave 30-40 off of that. People said P4 was 80 and it's really more like 40-50 for any normal run.

WTF is this?? Does normal run involve skipping over all dialogue, and taking dungeon floor exits as soon as you find them?

I recently (FINALLY) finished P4G and it took me 80 hours...

ranmafan

They are the only source for "reviews" in Japan, and reported to take $$$ from publishers.

They aren't the only source of reviews, dont forget dengeki playstation (but that's not much better). Considering the things and rumors we've heard about so called payments and even apolgies to companies for reviews it's a big reason why we hear these things. I'm still waiting however for clear actual evidence of this wrong doing instead of the constant hearsay about it. The very little evidence that has been shown isn't enough for me. But considering how the magazine industry works in Japan in general, it's not hard to believe these things are happening.

Still the games usually line up with the number reviews for most people. And if you are willing to wait and can read Japanese there are plenty of sites to read people's reviews of games and all. Of course stay away Amazon Japan, that's the worst of all.

silva1991

In every Famitsu thread, people say the scores are worthless lol. Please can someone explain why?

I don't really follow famitsu threads much, but they seem to always(or for the most time) give big Japanese releases very high scores even the bad ones like RE6 for example.

Lunar15

In every Famitsu thread, people say the scores are worthless lol. Please can someone explain why?

Aeana pretty much nailed it with this post earlier in the thread:

It's not just that.
The way Famitsu reviews work is that they review games based on how they feel people should perceive and react to them. For instance, if they feel that a particular game should be given more attention, they'll give it a high score. Several years ago, when the Japanese game industry started declining, they ramped up the number of perfect scores significantly, because they wanted people to start buying these games. So it's not necessarily that they're doing it just for money, but also for other reasons. Just not necessarily related to game quality.

Of course, they also do tend to give more favorable reviews to games whose companies have purchased a significant amount of ad content in the magazine as well.

In terms of review content, they have literally been pretty terrible since they started in the 80s. They're very short reviews that read like back-of-box quotes, giving very little useful information about a game.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Excuse? Lol. You mean reason? Are people no longer entitled to their opinions?

Is this your first review thread? Less than perfect score = thorn in my side that must be explained away in order for me to enjoy the game and feel good about myself as a person.

Is this your first review thread? Less than perfect score = thorn in my side that must be explained away in order for me to enjoy the game and feel good about myself as a person.
It can't be that this publication is paid off and really fucking shameless about it, oh noooooo.
Must be angry fanboys.
Excuse? Lol. You mean reason? Are people no longer entitled to their opinions?
So is this your first Famitsu thread or what?

At first I was anxious about importing P5 because I remembered how I didn't get super far in Yakuza Kenzan when I imported it

Then I remembered that I never get very far in any Yakuza game because I ultimately get bored with samey sidequests no matter what language the games are in, and have probably invested 200+ hours in P3/4 collectively, and stopped worrying.

Gonna buy it on PSN

213372bu

Banned
Famitsu 95% has all their reviews bought out, they're really unreliable.

Especially since the modern Persona series has been heavily promoted through Famitsu.

Will wait for actual reviews.

Vic_Viper

How could one of the reviewers give the game a 9!!! WTF! He obviously did it just to get attention, like how the GiantBomb guy did with Fallout 4.

But in all seriousness, I cannot wait to play P5. Really dont like that they went ahead and released the Japanese version so far ahead of the US. Its like Dark Souls 3 all over again. I know I wont be able to resist the urge to see some gameplay but damn. I hope I can force myself not to spoil the entire game :(

Atlus wants to make the famitsu score look believable so they asked one of them to dock a point after the cheque cleared I'm sure.

I plan on importing. I can't wait.

80 hours? So, it'll likely overstay its welcome by about 30 hours, just like P3 and 4. Urgh. Luckily for it there isn't really anything else I'd play in February. Still, ~80 hours is just too damn long, especially for the main scenario in these games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't know any other turn-based rpg that came out recently so i would say they're really dead, even if P5 is amazing.

Atelier Sophie? Setsuna? Bravely Second? Trails of Cold Steel 2? Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth? And stretching it a bit: Valkyria Chronicles Remastered? Fire Emblem Fates?

DQ7, SMT4 Apocalypse, Exist Archive and World of FF come out soon too.

Turn-based RPGs are a bit healthier than the last few years.

Top Bottom