• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Japan sales. Best selling entry in the series for first week sales

Aters

I don't think asking for a Persona game featuring college students is that much of a stretch. After all P2 EP is not set in high school already.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Good to hear that it's being well received and reasonably well reviewed. It's my first Persona game, so I'm glad it's a good one.

Isn't Vita the anime game machine according to GAF? Anyway, anime seems too broad a word to use. I'd say the Otaku pandering is what may prevent it from mainstream. Waifu is a double-edge sword.

Overwatch is sold on waifu.

I think the trick is to not draw attention to it, let the fanbase do it themselves naturally.

gow3isben

I am really intrigued by this game. Can anyone who has played tell me whether it is good or not? And when I say good I mean is it legitimately one of the best games on the PS4? Also, I wonder how the reviews are doing. I can't find any western outlets reviewing this yet.

So Persona team's new IP, Catherine, can sell 260,000 in Japan starring a 30-something-year-old deadbeat set in America, but bump the ages up a couple of years in Persona and it'll kill the franchise? I don't agree that it's that crazy of a move.

I was referring to them producing with the west in mind. Because bumping the ages wouldn't change that much if you don't change it tonally as well.

And as you said, Catherine is a new IP, it didn't have the same expectation going in as a Persona game would've.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Good God, no.

I'd say Persona 2 has the most interesting story compared to the other Personas, not saying P3 and P4 were bad, it's just that P2 was very interesting.

RalchAC

Isn't Vita the anime game machine according to GAF? Anyway, anime seems too broad a word to use. I'd say the Otaku pandering is what may prevent it from mainstream. Waifu is a double-edge sword.

Persona 3 and 4 don't pander otaku that much. If they've managed to get the cult status they have at GAF and the english speaking press is because the game doesn't compromise it's writting in order to pander to otakus. It's fanbase and their waifu wars doesn't make Persona reputation any favours.

If the game was full of fanservice you wouldn't have people saying in this thread they they felt they were saying farewell to an actual group of friends when the game ended. You can't achieve this without good writting. And relying in fanservice usually comes at the cost of the writting.

What is going to hold the game back the most is that somehow Deep Silver isn't willing to translate Persona 5 to EFIGS.

Jb

They want the game out for US launch, so that's probably why.

And Catherine is a much much smaller game than P5 appears to be.
Localizing a game like that in EFIGS would probably only make sense financially if they knew the game was going to be a hit. Unfortunately Persona and SMT aren't as big as they should be in Europe.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
English
French
Italian
German
Spanish

But I understand as the game is damn massive.

Well english is already down, why would they not just use the US track?

As for the other languages, even SE has just taken to using the english version in European territories, i guess its faster turnaround

jkh33

I am really intrigued by this game. Can anyone who has played tell me whether it is good or not? And when I say good I mean is it legitimately one of the best games on the PS4? Also, I wonder how the reviews are doing. I can't find any western outlets reviewing this yet.

The western release isn't until Feb 14, 2017.

RalchAC

As for the other languages, even SE has just taken to using the english version in European territories, i guess its faster turnaround

Most probably games do this. I mean, At least that's the impression I get when I play japanese games that have an English dub and a Spanish sub.

I understand it. Japanese to European lenguages translators must be more expensive since there isn't much people working on those combinations.

JakR

Sorry, but do get it right that the european version will have only japanese with subtitles?!?

wrowa

EFIGS is the just the abbreviation, no one is asking for a new English translation. :p

SE is releasing English-only titles when they don't expect the games to sell well to begin with. It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, though, since it limits the appeal in big markets like Germany and France.

In this case, I expect it's a combination of cost of localization and a lack of time. If Atlus would work
closer with European partners early, translating into some of the more important languages might be possible, but the way Europe is handled, this would go hand in hand with a long delay. And, well, that delay would probably cancel all of the positive effects a localization could have had anyway.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
EFIGS is the just the abbreviation, no one is asking for a new English translation. :p

SE is releasing English-only titles when they don't expect the games to sell well to begin with. It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, though, since it limits the appeal in big markets like Germany and France.

In this case, I expect it's a combination of cost of localization and a lack of time. If Atlus would work
closer with European partners early, translating into some of the more important languages might be possible, but the way Europe is handled, this would go hand in hand with a long delay. And, well, that delay would probably cancel all of the positive effects a localization could have had anyway.

Very great point made in all respects.

Taruranto

Modern Persona otaku pandering is more subtle, it's more, high-school wish fulfillment more than anything. It's in the way the character talk and interact with you, the chick-magnet aspect.

It's hardly something that would put off anyone at first sight unlike something like Compile Hearts games.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
For a cross title that has access to both the pre established PS3 audience and the rising PS4 audience in Japan I was hoping 1/2 a million or more at least so 337k seems small.

Very few games hit what Persona 5 did in their lifetimes these days, even less so on consoles. It's a good number.

Makes me wonder how profitable Chinese translated games are in Asia. We get many of these but note that they're not really catering to the China market, since not all games get released there. I believe it's mostly the Taiwan and Hong Kong market. Singapore doesn't seem to get all the Chinese releases.

BBboy20

They haven't even begun the milking process of Persona 5 yet. There will be more DLC, an expansion, a re-release with more content, a dancing game, a driving game, a Spin-off, a manga, a fighting game, a Lupin style thief/spy game, a crossover game, a movie, an extended anime, a mobile game and an MMO before they even think about making Persona 6.

It would probably be doable to do it in that time, but looking at persona 4 Atlus is going to ride this game for another 3-4 years at least.
You forgot musicals and theme parks.

I think they still would. As long as Atlus operates as an independent publisher, even if they are owned by a larger publisher they are publishing using their own brand strength and retail connections. This has a benefit in Japan, but it is a weakness outside of it. Atlus USA doesn't have the muscle Sega does, and Atlus doesn't have the resources to expand into Europe. Maybe this will change in the future though.

I dont think ressources are the problem for Atlus. Higher ups are just close minded to not even acknowledge Europe.

Atlus's problem is "as long as it sells well in Japan, we don't care". They're no smaller company than NIS, IFI or Spike Chunsoft.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Go play any of the old ones? They're all well received.

Nah, I'll just go with P5. I don't own the equipment to play the earlier ones. If it turns out I like P5 a lot, I might circle back to play the others. At this point, it is a mystery to me what the Persona games feel like. I'll just start with P5 and see how it goes.

BBboy20

If you don't like Persona, then you probably won't like Persona.
himZD0M.gif

Aters

Makes me wonder how profitable Chinese translated games are in Asia. We get many of these but note that they're not really catering to the China market, since not all games get released there. I believe it's mostly the Taiwan and Hong Kong market. Singapore doesn't seem to get all the Chinese releases.

At least 80% percent of the Chinese market is mainland. Roughly 3-4 million PS4 and Xboxone are sold in mainland China while Taiwan and HK simply don't have such install base. Although mainland China don't use traditional Chinese, most people have no problem reading it.

.JayZii

Banned
Is P5 accessible for people who didn't like the other games. The intro looked like an adventure game.
You'd have to be more specific about what you don't like about the other games.

But it seems to be more of the same with a slicker execution and more depth, so I'll say probably not.

Celine

Very few games hit what Persona 5 did in their lifetimes these days, even less so on consoles. It's a good number.
Don't exaggerate.
There are more than 80 games that sold more than 340K on 3DS, WiiU, Vita and PS4.
Without 3DS it's a much lower number (less than 20) because 3DS is the only system this generation that performed sales-wise as a market leader should do in Japan albeit now it is in its dusk days.

Great job. Hopefully sales in Japan keep up after the first week. Worldwide this is going to sell like hot cakes I believe compared to previous entries.

Shengar

As if media with no actual same-sex relationships in it doesn't already attract the yaoi crowd anyway.

Sometimes, if not most of the time, media that doesn't intentionally made for it ended up attracting more fujoshi than the one does (though it's not rare for the sequel or the next iteration of it to change it course to suit that demographic).

Top Bottom