• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rean

Of course. Teddie couldn't stay a stuffed bear forever. He had to become a pretty husbando. Morgana must become a waifu due to Persona logic. It is known.
Well Teddie
was originally a stuffed bear and made a human body for himself,
but Morgana is already a cat. Either way you're probably right.

HeelPower

3WP8Skb.png

90% chance that's a female character.

200px-Kunimitsu_-_Tekken_2.jpg

Reminds me of Kunimitsu from Tekken.

Squire

Banned
I think Morgana is quite literally their take on Morgan Le Fay.

She had nine sisters (so a cat makes some sense, symbolically) and many lovers (there's luxuria for you).

To start I bet she'll be a able to go between normal cat form and the Teddie-ish form, but evebtually shell gain the humanoid form and go between that and being a normal cat. (Like Shouta said, cats can have bushy tails, too.)

Zareka

Sure, but there will still be minor students in school who will use your name, as well as the interface itself, right?

"Bob studied all night!"

Yeah, the interface and those dialogue cues are fine but I'm guessing minor characters/out of party social links won't be voiced. But hey, even if they were, they wouldn't refer to you directly by your own name, so anything voiced would just be replaced by "him" or "them" or something. It'd be pretty simple to voice everything if they wanted to do that.

Moonlight

Banned
This is going to happen isn't it....
I would legitimately bet money on Morgana not having a human form. The pragmatic intention of giving Teddie a human form was to allow him to participate in real-world activities without attracting attention. A stealth mode, essentially. Morgana already has that in her cat form, plus she's always hiding out in the MC's bag. I also think giving a character three different transformations would just be too much in general. I'd expect the team to restrain themselves in that way.

I think my main problem is not his character design per se, but rather his official artwork, because they all look kinda dead and have these creepy eyes.

E.g. Lisa has a great design and looks awesome ingame, but what's up with her official artworks?
[...]
The same with Maya, who looks like a zombie in the official artwork, but great ingame:

I don't know, I really like the artwork for those characters. I don't think they look like 'zombies', they're just in a neutral emotive state. He also tends to draw big eyes that can appear kind of leering. But as Palculator said, it's a subjective thing.

Oh, sorry. Should've specified I was talking about the human characters, since what was that the first post was talking about. Otherwise I agree with you, Kaneko absolutely kills it with his demon designs.

Yeah, agreed. Although Kaneko could help with the costume design; he always does a great job on character outfits.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I wonder what the living situation will be like in this game. P3 was a dormitory while P4 was Dojima's home, I wonder how P5 will handle it. Will we actually have real parents nagging us about being socially respectable and all that jazz?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I would legitimately bet money on Morgana not having a human form. The pragmatic intention of giving Teddie a human form was to allow him to participate in real-world activities without attracting attention. A stealth mode, essentially. Morgana already has that in her cat form, plus she's always hiding out in the MC's bag. I also think giving a character three different transformations would just be too much in general. I'd expect the team to restrain themselves in that way.

Also, since people are citing Teddie as precedent for a transforming animal themed character, we've already had a cat companion who didn't transform into a human at all: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Gouto-Douji

Kane1345

Good point well made. I guess coming from P4G I fell into the Teddie trap but when you put it like that you certainly make a great case for a transformation not happening.

LX_Theo

Banned
I wonder what the living situation will be like in this game. P3 was a dormitory while P4 was Dojima's home, I wonder how P5 will handle it. Will we actually have real parents nagging us about being socially respectable and all that jazz?

I could easily imagine a run down apartment with mostly absentee parents fitting the themes of this game.

EDIT: Or, on the opposite spectrum, extremely strict parents would be quite fitting as well.

FluxWaveZ

You live with your uncle who's a detective.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
You live with your uncle who's a detective.

I like it.

I could easily imagine a run down apartment with mostly absentee parents fitting the themes of this game.

EDIT: Or, on the opposite spectrum, extremely strict parents would be quite fitting as well.

Yeah I could also see them in a dorm again if they are actually at a school for delinquents though this time more regimented and strict.

Zareka

Oh, dear. I am glad that was mostly a thing with some of his P3 designs. Yukari, Junpei and Aigis especially, when they wear clothes without collars.

God, the necks. Once I actually noticed how massive Junpei's neck was I could never unsee it.

Aigis is the same in her summer outfit at the pier but I can't find a screenshot of that.

Squire

Banned

I'm expecting the inverse of this. The humanoid form makes her more useful/better equity for the heist/dungeon portions. The prior game gets phased out altogether.

Both takes are equally plausible.

Blunoise

an apartment downtown with a roommate or two

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
God, the necks. Once I actually noticed how massive Junpei's neck was I could never unsee it.

Aigis is the same in her summer outfit at the pier but I can't find a screenshot of that.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6li3b9Bq91rvep16o1_250.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Holy shit, guys fucking stop it, I haven't been ruined yet. This is right up there with Kaneko's female moustaches.

Blunoise

this trailer has gotten me to finally replay persona 1 and 2. which i think the main plot of persona is about come back since it looks like demons are back. so i need to get my knowledge better of philmen and that butterfly

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
this trailer has gotten me to finally replay persona 1 and 2. which i think the main plot of persona is about come back since it looks like demons are back. so i need to get my knowledge better of philmen and that butterfly

I'm playing through P2:IS right now and it's pretty awesome! Though I'm only like 5h in so I don't know that much about Philemon yet.

Also, these guys didn't mess around back then concerning game design. The velvet room just exists in that game as kind of a shop, and none of the characters even tell you about it! It's amazing that it's kind of "missable", at least for the first few dungeons/bosses.

PK Gaming

That's true, his designs are really fitting for Nocturne.

I think my main problem is not his character design per se, but rather his official artwork, because they all look kinda dead and have these creepy eyes.

E.g. Lisa has a great design and looks awesome ingame, but what's up with her official artworks?

Compare this
LisaISAngry.png

with these:

The same with Maya, who looks like a zombie in the official artwork, but great ingame:

Have you seen the official artwork for P2:IS (PSP version)?

Much better

Blunoise

I'm playing through P2:IS right now and it's pretty awesome! Though I'm only like 5h in so I don't know that much about Philemon yet.

Also, these guys didn't mess around back then concerning game design. The velvet room just exists in that game as kind of a shop, and none of the characters even tell you about it! It's amazing that it's kind of "missable", at least for the first few dungeons/bosses.

Yea and also now I wouldn't mind a diverse cast in future installments.
Like I want a black charater in their so I can freaking Cosplay sometimes lol
persona-mark.jpg

PK Gaming

Yeah, those are not drawn by Kaneko, though. ;)
You can always recognize Kaneko's drawings by the eyes and the dark lips.

Oh, I didn't pay attention to the post your quoting. I didn't realize you were trying to make a point.

That was by Masuyaki Doi. His designs for SMT4 and the Trauma series are fantastic.

Actually, they were drawn by Soejima. Doi was responsible for the Persona 2: Eternal Punishment designs. Note the difference between Maya (IS) and Maya (EP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom