• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac996

Yeah, those are not drawn by Kaneko, though. ;)
You can always recognize Kaneko's drawings by the eyes and the dark lips.

I miss Kaneko's art. Always gave off a creepy otherworldly vibe that helped make nocturne and dds so unique. Would be great to have another SMT with his work throughout.

Not knocking Soejima's designs, but Kaneko had a style that set itself apart more from general anime.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Finally found it:

gey68gz.png

This is a polygonal version of Lisa Silverman Atlus made to familiarize themselves with the conversion of Kaneko's 2D designs into models for Nocturne. I grabbed it off of pepsimangdb's restream of the P5 trailer event, during which he streamed part of the Nocturne Special DVD translation he's currently working on. Thought people might like it since it's kind of a rare sight and we were talking about P2 designs :)

robotrock

Banned
Seems like she would be horribly overpowered as a protag. Same with any of the Velvet Room siblings.

Honestly hope no one from the previous games shows up unless it's a social link character from the previous games like they did in P4.
Wait, what? Who came back? It's been a while since I played.

Iksenpets

Banned
That's his Golden epilogue portrait.

Doesn't look doctored at all.

I just did the epilogue in P4G the other day, and that is definitely not doctored. At some point within the six months after Yu left, Yosuke caught some sort of terrible neck disease.

todd360

I would legitimately bet money on Morgana not having a human form. The pragmatic intention of giving Teddie a human form was to allow him to participate in real-world activities without attracting attention. A stealth mode, essentially. Morgana already has that in her cat form, plus she's always hiding out in the MC's bag. I also think giving a character three different transformations would just be too much in general. I'd expect the team to restrain themselves in that way.

She better transform into a people if she wants to be on my team. The humanoid cat design is legit creepy. Giant head and giant eyes. Regular cat form is fine. Just not humanoid cat.

.JayZii

Banned
That's true, his designs are really fitting for Nocturne.

I think my main problem is not his character design per se, but rather his official artwork, because they all look kinda dead and have these creepy eyes.

E.g. Lisa has a great design and looks awesome ingame, but what's up with her official artworks?

Compare this
LisaISAngry.png

with these:

The same with Maya, who looks like a zombie in the official artwork, but great ingame:
I'm always kind of split about how well Kaneko's designs work with Soejima's. It leads to some interesting results because I don't think Soejima would have ever created a design like Maya on his own, so I think its a good thing. I like seeing official artwork depicting the same characters with very different energies. Soejima's is very relate-able, while Kaneko lends a very otherworldly look; seeing both kind of lends itself to the conceptual/philosophical ideas behind Persona as a series.

Just to make it clear for people who don't know: The concept artwork for those was all done by Kazuma Kaneko (The main SMT artist; his demon designs are all the ones used as fuseable Personas still), while the in-game art, like character portraits, was done by Shigenori Soejima based on Kaneko's designs. Since Soejima has become the character designer for the Persona series since P3, when P2 was remade for PSP he did new promotional artwork.

Sevyne

I just did the epilogue in P4G the other day, and that is definitely not doctored. At some point within the six months after Yu left, Yosuke caught some sort of terrible neck disease.

His neck is the same length in both shots. The difference is that his hair is trimmed down in the golden ending. The before shot has a bit of a patch covering that later exposed spot on the neck. Its a very minor change in the hair that ends up making a huge difference, and exposes that always long neck a lot more.

Also, where the neck comes down to the shoulders becomes more of a straight line rather than curving. That could be partly due to the necklace, but it definitely makes it look longer too.

Either way, dem some long necks!

JNA

Banned
But I really liked Angel Beats dub. ._.

I wasn't really a fan of it. I started first watching the anime in a dub but it sounded so off for some reason. Than I tried sub and it was just flat out better in that regard.

To me, if a dub is as good as Death Note for example, than its a pretty damn good dub. :D

Or! If you're also Cromartie High School! :p

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qssMO3CLdkA

I don't think I have ever laughed from watching other anime in my life. XD

.JayZii

Banned
I would really like Kaneko to do the Persona art again.

KAZUMAKANEKO.jpg

praise be unto him

I get the feeling he'll be back for SMT V.
I think he's quietly working on something. I think it could be interesting to see he and Soejima collaborate on SMT V as co-art leads. Though it would be nice to see full-on Kaneko art direction make a resurgence. At least have him redesign his own demons; those new ones in SMT IV were no bueno.

FluxWaveZ

I think he's quietly working on something. I think it could be interesting to see he and Soejima collaborate on SMT V as co-art leads. Though it would be nice to see full-on Kaneko art direction make a resurgence. At least have him redesign his own demons; those new ones in SMT IV were no bueno.

I still think he's working on the Team Maniax project. Since they developed an engine for the express purpose of developing Persona 5, and they created new demon/Persona assets for the game, I think it's likely that those will obviously be used for something else, which could very well be the Team Maniax project.

Squishy3

I still think he's working on the Team Maniax project. Since they developed an engine for the express purpose of developing Persona 5, and they created new demon/Persona assets for the game, I think it's likely that those will obviously be used for something else, which could very well be the Team Maniax project.
I would not be surprised if the new demon models were used for SMTxFE either. :p

Would also explain why it's been radio silent for that game.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I love the part where the screen goes randomly grayscale and the editor thought it was topical to have the word "JUVENILE" and "ADULT" scroll across the screen.

Or the part where a 3D effect randomly shows up, haha. It has a certain "Yo we got this new video technology, let's just use it all over the place!" charm to it. Which I'm not even saying negatively.

Also, leather Fedora.

The only thing more awesome than this trailer would be if Atlus announced The Avalanches are doing the soundtrack for Persona 5. I mean they've already got the juvenile delinquent thing down. :D One can dream anyway. Regarding the soundtrack, I just hope they have a more listenable song for the Velvet Room. Hearing that choir arrangement for the 1284th time while fusing demons...

Xeteh

About time someone turned the tables on Teddie and made him feel uncomfortable. On that note, I hope that they don't have a Teddie-like character in P5. P4 vanilla Teddie was a bit much but whatever, it was easy enough to look past but man did they ever double down on his perversion in Golden.

LX_Theo

Banned
The only thing more awesome than this trailer would be if Atlus announced The Avalanches are doing the soundtrack for Persona 5. I mean they've already got the juvenile delinquent thing down. :D One can dream anyway. Regarding the soundtrack, I just hope they have a more listenable song for the Velvet Room. Hearing that choir arrangement for the 1284th time while fusing demons...
Nah. Nothing can top a Meguro soundtrack for a Persona game

Zareka

I wasn't really a fan of it. I started first watching the anime in a dub but it sounded so off for some reason. Than I tried sub and it was just flat out better in that regard.

To me, if a dub is as good as Death Note for example, than its a pretty damn good dub. :D

Or! If you're also Cromartie High School! :p

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qssMO3CLdkA

I don't think I have ever laughed from watching other anime in my life. XD

Yeah, I might've liked it but I could tell it wasn't the best dub. Some voices were better than others. And I've never heard of Cromartie High School before but that definitely looks up my alley. I'll need to give it a go at some point.

Anyway, I don't wanna take us too off topic! I should stop the anime discussion here. :p

Oh great, I would be the first post of a new page. Uh, Persona and stuff! Cats. Puns.

Mailbox

So after watching the trailer I got so hyped that i actually got the nerve to draw something.

Hope its to everyone's liking:

persona_5_protagonist__fan_art__by_mailda-d8h31fj.png

(I'm probably not gonna watch too many trailers after that. don't wanna spoil myself )

wmlk

Man, I would be over the MOON if The Seatbelts made music for this game. Their work on Cowboy Bebop was incredible.

antibolo

Banned
This thread reminds me that I bought Catherine many years ago during a PSN sale but still haven't played it yet. I should get to that soon.

PK Gaming

So after watching the trailer I got so hyped that i actually got the nerve to draw something.

Hope its to everyone's liking:

persona_5_protagonist__fan_art__by_mailda-d8h31fj.png

(I'm probably not gonna watch too many trailers after that. don't wanna spoil myself )

Niiiice

One of the best things to come out of the P5 trailer is the influx of awesome fanart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom