• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodin

50 hours in, i can safely say that the weakest part of the game is by far the waifu stuff. Don't get me wrong, the confidant system is great because it influences the gameplay and they clearly put some effort behind most of the side stories and characters that appear throughout them but the dating thing itself is just useless, all it does is basically
adding a few dialogues lines here and there in some parts of the game but it has no impact on the story whatsoever.
I've been dating Ann for a while now and all i gained is
the chance to bring her to my room and a couple of dialogue lines. Our friends don't even know we're together and Morgana keeps randomly hitting on her, which is supposed to be funny but it's actually almost creepy considering that for now there's no proof he's even human or how old he is in that case (i also expected him to get furious at the news and some funny dialogues but nope, nada).
Also the part in (september spoiler)
Hawaii shows as well how half assed all of this is considering that choosing to go to the beach with Hifumi resulted in the exact same thing happening as if you go there with Ann, minus two dialogue lines because i wasn't in a relationship with her (which would've been there if we were together). At this point i wonder if the walk with Makoto is the same shit lol

And some of the possible romance choices are just silly, yeah i'm sure that a
super hot 20-something doctor can't wait to jump on a fucking high school student. Yup.

Same goes for the
teacher who couldn't even stand you in the first place,
or the
fucking journalist lol.
I can understand why they would give you the option to date a hot model your age with a sweet character (which is what i did) but others are just (poor) fanservice. All that's missing is the chance to date
Sae
, at that point i would've just collapsed laughing lmao

I also don't know why people are complaining about the fifth dungeon.
Its cheesy and silly looks are amazing, especially considering the contrast with the piece of shit that rules the place and what the robots represent, and from a design perspective the id card mechanic to advance is logical. Now i don't know if more advanced parts are annoying or poorly designed but for now it's great.

And Haru is awesome, i like her sillyness and she's both cute and hot in her phantom suit. She also wipes the floor with the enemies thanks to her psy attacks.

LiK

Teenagers are pervy.

Hormones are weird like that. Discovery to new things.

Yet in today's internet age sex is the devil and we are not allowed to think about it as adults never mind as teenagers.

I mean the way they portrayed it in the anime cutscenes compared to in-game.
Grabbing boob motion is pretty stupid.
Who would do that unless you're a complete buffoon.

Personally, I have nothing against them portraying teen dudes as being horny or pervy. It's more realistic.

Opa-Pa

What do you mean he doesnt know?

During the trip,
Mishima is constantly talking to you about the phantoms while referring to them as just "them", even when he's alone with you.

Yeah, this just happened a little while ago in my game, and I got really confused.
I thought that I was mistaken and maybe he just thought
you were like another fan of the phantom thieves? That he... told the requests to?
He does know in his confidants, right?

He does definitely know,
he only suspects it at the beginning of the s link but then the protagonist stops hiding it pretty much and you openly talk about it with him for the rest of it

Why is Sojiro's S-Link so hard to level up...

Just endure it up until rank 4 or so and then it becomes more normal. I rarely use them, but having a persona of his arcana is a must for his.

nOoblet16

I mean the way they portrayed it in the anime cutscenes compared to in-game.
Grabbing boob motion is pretty stupid.
Who would do that unless you're a complete buffoon.
If you are close to your female friend and have a kind of relationship where you are like total bros with each others then it's something then teasing like that can happen in real life and not feel awkward. I mean I've seen my friends do similar sort of stuff and I've done/said similar things..and I am 26.

LiK

If you are close to your female friend and have a kind of relationship where you are like total bros with each others then it's something that can happen in real life and not feel awkward. I mean I've seen my friends do similar sort of stuff and I've done/said similar things..Man's I am 26.

I shall dub thee RyOoji!

question about the secret boss fight :

so i saw you can only do it in NG+... what level is recommended? Because i wanted to fight it, but i seriously don't have the courage to grind at the beginning just to fight them... i have a lot of game to play and i can't just redo a complete playthrough of a 80h game again, even if i love it! Since you don't keep your levels in NG+, are they beatable as soon as they're available?

Wabba

Can anybody that has played a lot of Persona 5 help me out. I am still unsure about this game, seeing it gets so many positive reviews makes it tempting to get. Played my first Persona game this winter (P4G), but there was so much i didn't like about it.

Is the story better? I like a darker tone then the 4th game. How is the gameplay compared to P4. And how is the romance in this game? Because P4 has some cringey dialogue and bad romance options.

LiK

Can anybody that has played a lot of Persona 5 help me out. I am still unsure about this game, seeing it gets so many positive reviews makes it tempting to get. Played my first Persona game this winter (P4G), but there was so much i didn't like about it.

Is the story better? I like a darker tone then the 4th game. How is the gameplay compared to P4. And how is the romance in this game? Because P4 has some cringey dialogue and bad romance options.

It's a better game overall. Darker and more mature story and characters. More grounded compared to P4. Romance is way weaker, imo. P4 did it better even if some of it seemed sappy.

if you want a darker story, go for P2 or P3, the story of P5 is pretty underwhelming IMO (there's some dark moment, but in general, there's never a sense of urgency or the feel of a real threat like there was in previous persona)

Mind that i didn't see the twist yet, but you'll have to play A LOT to see it though, so even if it's reaaaaally good, which i hope it is, it will not change the long hours you have to play to reach it)

Zakalwe

Banned

First time with the series for me, but so far:

It's a pretty dark story, surprisingly so. Things escalate quite quickly, and the game deals with some serious topics reasonably well (sometimes very well).

Dialogue is very good. It has some cringey moments, but nowhere near enough for them to become a common factor (for me at least).

I haven't reached the point where romance blossoms, but so far it's hinting that it will handle it well enough.

Chaos17

It better overall but I preferred the group of Persona 4, they had much more bonding and s6nergy than here.

Rodin

I haven't played Persona 4, so i can't really judge it, but from what i've been told the story is darker and better in this one (i'm liking it so far) and gameplay should be better as well (dungeons should also be much, much better designed in 5).

The romance part is pretty bad as i was saying in my previous post.

Opa-Pa

In what way? Too difficult or just not interesting?

Oh for the record I'm talking about NG+ only bosses in general. It's just that when I put enough time in a game to want to seek a challenge like that, I'll rarely be able to justify starting the story again and leveling up for hours to fight something I could have in the first playthrough.

I don't know about P5's, but the fight does sound interesting and I'd love to try it out myself... But it sounds like a chore to get there.

RDreamer

Story is darker in tone. It feels a bit less scooby doo. That said there's still times when it's really cartoony. Gameplay is probably better, but it's very start and stop especially if you're pressured into doing the dungeons in one swoop. So you'll get LOOOOONG periods of nothing where you can barely even choose what to do sometimes, and then long dungeons. P4 had some of that but not quite to this degree. There's still cringey dialogue here and I have no idea why romance would even be a top question you'd ask for these sorts of games. Don't play a high school sim JRPG if you want romance, lol. It's inherently going to not be good at all. I'm not quite to the romance options, but yeah... probably on par with before.

silva1991

I'll go with Apt then, at least to start with.

No guide, just fuse a Yoshi and then fuse all the other Persona with the absorb skills (Attis, Ishtar, Chi You, Kali and Satan) then save scum the strengthening feature in fusion by sacrificing those 5 into Yoshi and reload if you don't get the drain ability.

Thanks

Hoo-doo

Banned
I have come to the conclusion that this game probably has my favorite soundtrack of all time. It's so consistently good it's almost unfair.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh so I need a Persona in my active deck to help give bonuses to level up S. Links? Make sure to visit Igor to grab one of the same arcana before starting the Confidant sequence?

Gameplay is better in P5 (but it was fine in P4) and the dungeons are definitely a massive improvement. But the writing is all over the place. It's darker for sure, and some chapters (1 and 4) have some of the best story moments in the series. But there are some serious problems with the pacing and the characterization. I haven't beaten the game yet (2 dungeons left I think) but P5 feels like a 100 hour game that should have been 70 or 80 hours max. I'm really disappointed with the story as a whole so far.
The RPG part is excellent though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oh so I need a Persona in my active deck to help give bonuses to level up S. Links? Make sure to visit Igor to grab one of the same arcana before starting the Confidant sequence?

Yeah, if you do, you'll get a bit of a bonus towards your S-Links.

I haven't ever noticed it made a difference in leveling up or anything, but it's worth just pulling out a low-level persona of the right arcana.

LiK

Gameplay is better in P5 (but it was fine in P4) and the dungeons are definitely a massive improvement. But the writing is all over the place. It's darker for sure, and some chapters (1 and 4) have some of the best story moments in the series. But there are some serious problems with the pacing and the characterization. I haven't beaten the game yet (2 dungeons left I think) but P5 feels like a 100 hour game that should have been 70 or 80 max. I'm really disappointed with the story as a whole so far.

It does feel weird especially when you're gated off from some activities because of your skill ranks. I think the story is pretty great and I'm near the end. I think you'll like how it goes. I think I'll be it before I hit 80 hours.

Hylian7

Gameplay spoiler, I guess?
Did you manage to "catch" the first treasure demon by any chance? If so, just get it from the "pokedex" and fuse it with something.
No, couldn't get enough damage on it because I was trying to figure out the weakness (which I didn't have whatever it was weak to, or it resisted everything. I've seen others two different times in this dungeon on separate lives, but couldn't get enough damage on either.

LiK

It's also worth remember that for people who only played Golden, that version had a lot of social event type scenes that weren't in vanilla P4.

Very true. I was a Golden player. I watched a whole LP for P4 vanilla and it was surprising how much stuff wasn't in original. Curious if P5 will get a FES or Golden treatment in the future. Maybe.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Gameplay is better in P5 (but it was fine in P4) and the dungeons are definitely a massive improvement. But the writing is all over the place. It's darker for sure, and some chapters (1 and 4) have some of the best story moments in the series. But there are some serious problems with the pacing and the characterization. I haven't beaten the game yet (2 dungeons left I think) but P5 feels like a 100 hour game that should have been 70 or 80 hours max. I'm really disappointed with the story as a whole so far.

Still early in, but even after 15 hours, I have yet to feel as attached to the drama or characters as much as I did almost instantly with both P3 and 4.

Possibly due to expectations and the absurd hype surrounding this release more than anything, but I'm just not vibing with the events, characters, or scenarios quite yet.

mike6467

I've really taken to the world to the point where I don't use fast travel much, which has probably contributed to my absurd playtime. I wish they'd have included stations to more of the places you can go, but I get why they didn't when 95% of people likely wouldn't even see them.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Alright I caved. This will be my first persona game.
Already bought the persona DLC but I guess I'm not far enough in to use them.

nOoblet16

I shall dub thee RyOoji!
Lol..But really it's quite fun when you have that sort of relationship with friends. At that point they are no different from your male bros.
question about the secret boss fight :

so i saw you can only do it in NG+... what level is recommended? Because i wanted to fight it, but i seriously don't have the courage to grind at the beginning just to fight them... i have a lot of game to play and i can't just redo a complete playthrough of a 80h game again, even if i love it! Since you don't keep your levels in NG+, are they beatable as soon as they're available?
They are available as soon as mementos is available to you. But I think you would at the very least need your party members to learn their high level evade skills for their weakness as both of them specifically target elemental weakness. You would also need the MC to have a high level persona with no weakness and lots of null drain or repel which you should have anyway from your previous playthrough. You would need decent AoE damage too so as to not prolong the fight as it leads to a defeat otherwise and also because if one goes below 50% or does then other heals/revives in her next turn. I would say somewhere around level 60 should be ok. You should just power level your way through with reaper as soon as flu hits to do it as quick as possible.

Chaos17

Yup, the feeling you have I had it and was confirmed at palace 5 even with all the revelation. I'm at the end of palace 7 and my feeling is the same. I just want to end it after 85h.

RDreamer

Very true. I was a Golden player. I watched a whole LP for P4 vanilla and it was surprising how much stuff wasn't in original. Curious if P5 will get a FES or Golden treatment in the future. Maybe.

If it does get an enhanced treatment I hope to hell it's on switch. I don't really know if I can play another 100+ hours of this on a console. On the go, hell yeah.

It does feel weird especially when you're gated off from some activities because of your skill ranks. I think the story is pretty great and I'm near the end. I think you'll like how it goes. I think I'll be it before I hit 80 hours.

I've heard good things about the ending so I hope it will deliver but Persona games usually end strong so I'm not too worried. And I'm already at the 85 hour mark! I should be done by next week-end.

And yeah, when I'm talking about 3 & 4, I actually mean Golden and FES / Portable. I barely touched the vanilla versions.

Lusankya

Man, there are so many references to the past titles:

g433lG5.jpg

Lol..But really it's quite fun when you have that sort of relationship with friends. At that point they are no different from your male bros.

They are available as soon as mementos is available to you. But I think you would at the very least need your party members to learn their high level evade skills for their weakness as both of them specifically target elemental weakness. You would also need the MC to have a high level persona with no weakness and lots of null drain or repel which you should have anyway from your previous playthrough. You would need decent AoE damage too so as to not prolong the fight as it leads to a defeat otherwise and also because if one goes below 50% or does then other heals/revives in her next turn. I would say somewhere around level 60 should be ok. You should just power level your way through with reaper as soon as flu hits to do it as quick as possible.

welp, fuck it, i won't do it, that's a shame! Why not simply put it at the end of the first playthrough? -__-

u_neek

When MC says he doesn't think he will get closer with a confidant, should I not bother spending time with them and just wait?

LiK

Oh nice, they released more DLC. I gues they're slowly releasing the avatar packs to avoid spoilers for later characters. Seems silly but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom