• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
i actually didn't find that much wrong with the maid scene... it's all the Beefy Trendsetter stuff that really irks me. It's so... garbage.

Really?

While I understand kids will have a nervous reaction in situations like these, it didn't need to be so objectifying.

7 palace
hahahAaaaa idiots it's only now you realize that Akechi is the serial murder ??come on he nearly killed the hero with no remorse lol
That's why I dislike this story.

maybe if you paid attention to the story you would realize that the phantom thieves believed it was a person with black mask behind it, and there no reason for the phantom thieves to believe that a persona user could change transform their costumes since even joker could not do that

Chaos17

Really?

While I understand kids will have a nervous reaction in situations like these, it didn't need to be so objectifying.
Mmmh I think for once I'm fine the way it was done a mix of curiosity+awkwardness.
Because these days, teenagers aren't shy in general, Pervy stuff is so normal for them. Too much are normal for them now for they lack fear and awkwardness. Getting drunk smoking skipping school etc
In Persona 5 5hey are still teenagers with some innocence. So I think people I getting too seriously flustered here. With that dumm6 event.

Edit: writers could've introduce the maid at the maid cafe though.

Jintor

Really?

I mean... the whole idea of a maid service is objectifying in the first place, so character-wise it's fairly natural. Leaving aside the slink itself which I'm still thinking about, it just mainly struck me as three idiots who dipped their toe into something and then freaked when something actually happened.

nOoblet16

Palace 6 question

Does the deadline work the same as past ones? I intend to complete the palace in one go, will that push me to November and unleash the events from the prologue or can you still play after securing the route to the treasure?
You cannot do the final boss until the end of deadline, but you can do rest of the palace>
Game tells you why you can't send a calling card early

LiK

Is there no way to manage my Personas in Velvet room? I have to release them before I enter to have some space for new ones?

Stalwart

nHvGYHCl.jpg

Stole this pic from Alucrid but it's pretty much where I'm at right now. Has anyone tried Apt Pupil vs Ali Dance yet? Not sure which one to go with.

Platypus

I feel you and totally agree, that's why I strongly recommend you doing Sojiro and Futaba S-link because they're done well like Nanako and her father.

Sadly I think I'm at the point where I can no longer advance confidants and I didn't get to max theirs. I did like what I saw though and definitely will max them if I do a subsequent playthrough.

I hate the (Palace 5)
airlock
puzzle. Hate it.

Somewhat irritating puzzles seem commonplace in this game which is why I'm​ unlikely to play a second time.

Fortune rank 8 spoilers

"- Are you... interested in older women...?
- Hell yeah I am.
- Really!? I-I mean, how interesting..."

Protagonist knows what he wants.

pixxxelz

Are there any Confidants worth skipping? I was gonna pass over Tower to rank up the rest but then I remembered that's where you get Yoshitsune.

So far I've really been neglecting Sun, Devil and Hanged Man.
Wait, is yoshitsune the last persona of the tower arcana in this game!?

Is there no way to manage my Personas in Velvet room? I have to release them before I enter to have some space for new ones?
You can just sacrifice them to give some xp to another persona.

Guess Who

Banned
Of course, and I understand the culture difference, it's just a /very/ jarring thing to go from a game that seems to be very progressive 90% of the time to this weird, slightly disgusting scene where the characters seem to forget their character.

Yeah, that's the really frustrating thing - like, when taken as an overall story, I really like P5. I think its heart is generally in the right place, and I think it really does take a very progressive stance on a lot of important and relevant issues. Like, based on everything else going on in the game, I feel like if someone just sat down to Katsura Hashino and explained to him why
vilifying and stereotyping the only "gay" dudes in the story is really tone-deaf in a game about those in power oppressing the weak
, you could probably get him to understand and agree and change it. I suspect a lot of it comes down to what issues are political hot topics in Japan.

RDreamer

About the maid stuff: Personally I think the first scene wasn't too far out of bounds. I could see conceptually that being in the game. It's awkward as fuck but they're kids and that seems understandable. The thing that bothers me is the confidant that comes from it.
Your teacher being your maid and still calling you Master and saying she'll do ANYTHING for you sometimes just feels wrong on all kinds of levels. I guess they could be making a statement about how this is a real thing in Japan that could happen... maybe? But to me it just comes across as pervy fap-bait or something.

Zakalwe

Banned
Mmmh I think for once I'm fine the way it was done a mix of curiosity+awkwardness.
Because these days, teenagers aren't shy in general, Pervy stuff is so normal for them. Too much are normal for them now for they lack fear and awkwardness. Getting drunk smoking skipping school etc
In Persona 5 5hey are still teenagers with some innocence. So I think people I getting too seriously flustered here. With that dumm6 event.

Edit: writers could've introduce the maid at the maid cafe though.

I mean... the whole idea of a maid service is objectifying in the first place, so character-wise it's fairly natural. Leaving aside the slink itself which I'm still thinking about, it just mainly struck me as three idiots who dipped their toe into something and then freaked when something actually happened.

Don't get me wrong, I did/said/thought some stupid stuff when I was that age (hell, I still do), but the entire thing felt needless.

I suppose it fits more if you understand the culture better than I do.

Chaos17

About the maid stuff: Personally I think the first scene wasn't too far out of bounds. I could see conceptually that being in the game. It's awkward as fuck but they're kids and that seems understandable. The thing that bothers me is the confidant that comes from it.
Your teacher being your maid and still calling you Master and saying she'll do ANYTHING for you sometimes just feels wrong on all kinds of levels. I guess they could be making a statement about how this is a real thing in Japan that could happen... maybe? But to me it just comes across as pervy fap-bait or something.
If she was a plumber instead of a maid, you will have felt less uncomfortable ?

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah, that's the really frustrating thing - like, when taken as an overall story, I really like P5. I think its heart is generally in the right place, and I think it really does take a very progressive stance on a lot of important and relevant issues. Like, based on everything else going on in the game, I feel like if someone just sat down to Katsura Hashino and explained to him why
vilifying and stereotyping the only "gay" dudes in the story is really tone-deaf in a game about those in power oppressing the weak
, you could probably get him to understand and agree and change it. I suspect a lot of it comes down to what issues are political hot topics in Japan.

Right, which is why it doesn't turn me off as much as it could do. I think it's just a matter of some cultures being slightly tone deaf in specific situations, but I never got the impression the game was exploiting these things or being gratuitous with them. Those of us in the west have our own examples to deal with for sure.

Huh?

She could have been a maid and not been objectified. Her profession has nothing to do with the problems people have with the scene.

Spinx

Gotta give props to the main battle theme. Still not sick of it. I'm in October

You'll never see it COMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN'

I'm in the second dungeon.

I'd like to know in advance, is the game's true ending hidden behind dialogue choices or something else, like in P4? Basically, is it possible to miss part of the game's ending(s)? If yes, how likely is it that I miss it without employing some guide?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well, made it to the 7th Palace. It's crazy how much thought they put into the reasoning behind these while still being able to use locations that really feel fitting for being a thief. Well, except maybe the 5th.

Vanadium

I'm coming up to what I assume to be the last stretch of the game, gathering my thoughts a bit since I'm away from my ps4 at the moment.

Love the game, its potentially my GOTY. But I would say I enjoyed P4 more, which is kind of baffling to me since P5 is undeniably more ambitious and the better overall game. It's something I've been struggling to come to terms with as I was playing through P5.

If I had to pin down a reason, it would be because the weaknesses of the Persona team's writing is a lot more noticible in 5 than 4. Both games have their fair share of questionable writing but since P4's tone is rather light it's easy to ignore and even derive enjoyment from some of it's dumber moments. P5 on the otherhand is far more heavy, which in turn makes it's dumb moments 10 times more aggravating and at times insulting. Now I'm not saying it's wrong for P5 to have its silly moments, I expected it to be silly at times due to its campy presentation and was perfectly on board for that. However there's a fine line between being campy and being stupid; and I feel like P5 was on the wrong side far too often for my liking.

My idea was that P4G was (arguably) a perfection of what they set out to do with P3 and FES. P5 is a REFINEMENT of this game design. That's all well and good, but at the end of the day, I just liked the characters and the story in P4 the most since 3. Even if I like Buffy more than Scooby Doo, P4G felt near perfect
and just kept throwing stuff at you to the very end and I never really felt surprised by the end of P5. Satisfied, but not surprised.
. Also I give PG4 a nod for having the better soundtrack.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm in the second dungeon.

I'd like to know in advance, is the game's true ending hidden behind dialogue choices or something else, like in P4? Basically, is it possible to miss part of the game's ending(s)? If yes, how likely is it that I miss it without employing some guide?

As a first timer to the series I asked the same questions, and the majority answer was this:

Forget about it entirely for your first run. Just do what you feel like doing and worry about the min/max stuff in new game+.

Not sure if this is "correct", but it's what I'm currently doing and I'm having a blast.

Gotta give props to the main battle theme. Still not sick of it. I'm in October

You'll never see it COMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN'

It's incredible, especially the middle 8 drop. Really hype track.

LiK

Wait, is yoshitsune the last persona of the tower arcana in this game!?

You can just sacrifice them to give some xp to another persona.

Yeah a bit of a hassle. I just wanna easily delete who I don't need in it for space to do Advanced Fuses but I guess I'll keep track of who I have and need. I guess I'll do that in NG+. Right now, my MC has every single magic type in his arsenal. Wish they let you go right into your menu from Velvet room.

Xeteh

Yeah a bit of a hassle. I just wanna easily delete who I don't need in it for space to do Advanced Fuses but I guess I'll keep track of who I have and need. I guess I'll do that in NG+. Right now, my MC has every single magic type in his arsenal. Wish they let you go right into your menu from Velvet room.

If you back out like you're leaving the velvet room but choose that you're not done instead, you get control of joker and can dismiss personas from the main menu from there.

I'm genuinely really sorry to hear that, I know how much that sucks, seriously. But I have to ask... why weren't you saving? The game couldn't be more clear about the fact that there's no autosave. I'm pretty sure It explains it twice and then follows up with, "Again, I have to emphasize, there is no autosave."

This is a late reply but I didn't autosave because I've become pretty use to the PS4's suspend feature and I'm not playing anything else. Plus the only time I ever remember to save is at a dungeon and I can only save in safe rooms there. Not to mention by day I'd pretty busy so I only play for like a hour or so a day so I don't really think about saving.

RDreamer

Is the implication still that plumbers will do ANYTHING for you, call you master, and sexualized as basically congruent to hiring a prostitute? If so, yes, a high schooler having a longer relationship with someone like that
who also happens to be his teacher
is still really fucking wrong. My intuition tells me that maid is specifically picked because of those connotations, though, and then those are played upwards in the game.

LiK

Reached the beach scene.

Sometimes I don't get Ann lol

She's pretty awesome in that scene.
Her reaction to Ryuji's perviness was great. She acted like a bro instead of being the stereotypical demure girl. Loved it.

You can. Select the second option when Caroline asks you if you want to exit the velvet room.

OMG, 70 hours in and I just learned this. Thanks.

Stalwart

Is there a guide for this? Apt Pupil was OP for me, so I'll go with that over Ali Dance.

I'll go with Apt then, at least to start with.

No guide, just fuse a Yoshi and then fuse all the other Persona with the absorb skills (Attis, Ishtar, Chi You, Kali and Satan) then save scum the strengthening feature in fusion by sacrificing those 5 into Yoshi and reload if you don't get the drain ability.

LotusHD

Banned
She's pretty awesome in that scene.
Her reaction to Ryuji's perviness was great. She acted like a bro instead of being the stereotypical demure girl. Loved it.

Yea it was interesting in that sense I guess. I just found it weird that she acted like this is the first time Ryuji noticed how attractive she is, when we've seen him perv on her several times in the past.

Chase17

11/21

Not sure about some of these story beats, but I guess it is at least interesting. Glad our group saw that betrayal coming.

The summary of their relationship conversation between Akechi and Shido was awful writing

Maybe I can beat the game this weekend? Seems like it is at its climax.

LiK

Yea it was interesting in that sense I guess. I just found it weird that she acted like this is the first time Ryuji noticed how attractive she is, when we've seen him perv on her several times in the past.

There is def a disconnect between in-game and the anime cutscenes at times when that happens. I feel like they developed Ryuji a bit more during game development and he seems less pervy.

RalchAC

She is always dodgy, slacking off and saying remarks like yeah, I would clean but the dusty atmosphere is part of its charm!

It's definitely and odd situation. Anime as fuck you may say. But it felt more like the game was parodying the maid cliché and the story behind the coop was quite great.

Leaving the outfit aside, it didn't really feel like pandering to me. At least the way it was written. I totally chose to not romance her. It didn't feel right imo.

Sayad

maybe if you paid attention to the story you would realize that the phantom thieves believed it was a person with black mask behind it, and there no reason for the phantom thieves to believe that a persona user could change transform their costumes since even joker could not do that
Unless you paid for DLC costumes then it get hella confusing. ;p

Recall

There is def a disconnect between in-game and the anime cutscenes at times when that happens. I feel like they developed Ryuji a bit more during game development and he seems less pervy.

Teenagers are pervy.

Hormones are weird like that. Discovery to new things.

Yet in today's internet age sex is the devil and we are not allowed to think about it as adults never mind as teenagers.

Chaos17

Is the implication still that plumbers will do ANYTHING for you, call you master, and sexualized as basically congruent to hiring a prostitute? If so, yes, a high schooler having a longer relationship with someone like that
who also happens to be his teacher
is still really fucking wrong. My intuition tells me that maid is specifically picked because of those connotations, though, and then those are played upwards in the game.
Of course that's the purpose, lol That's why she ask you to never tell anyone about this. Same with her romance, she knows what she is doing is not right but that's also bring depth to her character.

People,you should stop judging her before doing her S_link she is a consistent character and she isn't at all there to make you puke or look down on Japanese culture. Seriously, play the damn game.

Edit: Persona 5 is clumsy but one thing it done damn right us to portray women with strong heart. So yeah before judging do the damn S-link thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom