• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

ShadyK54

People obsessing over maxing everything out need to relax.
Hang out with the characters you like, prioritize perks that you feel will be the most useful for you and enjoy the game.
The game gives you lots of options so you can decide how you progress through it, not to make you obsessively follow a script someone else wrote.

Yup. I was starting to follow a guide at the very start but I dropped it almost immediately because you can only get that 'blind playthrough' experience once.

Decided to save that guide for my subsequent playthroughs.

Ultimadrago

Is
Satan
worth making? I got it from a max confidant.

Honestly I don't like them much. Their unique Almighty move costs too much for the meager damage "boost" even with Spell Master and their stats aren't that desirable either for one of the higher-ends. I did end up keeping them as an Ice-user backup for their inherent skills in that instead with some other skillset changes.

Mishima rank 8 -
"Why don't you run along home to your anime girls?"

lmao

That line had me shook. :(

(September spoilers and overall Ryuji spoilers for around that time):
Ryuji annoyed me only in so far as calling Morgana useless. Mate, Morgana's on my front lines in my playthrough as both a healer and lucky punch user. Plus he's a car. Are you a car Ryuji? Exactly!

Opa-Pa

I just don't think I'll ever trust status ailments in a JRPG. I used the skill that raised status susceptibility on the coffin enemy in the 4th dungeon, and then every time I tried a high chance status ailment it missed.

Some enemies are simply immune to ailments and it's impossible to tell which ones, but the ones that are susceptible fall for them immediately.

Usually it's enemies that use them against you the ones that are immune to them too, and I've noticed that non-boss enemies without weaknesses tend to be susceptible as well.

I think Mot turned you into a rat, and was a mini-boss on top of that, so he was 100% immune. I think only early game and Mementos mini bosses are susceptible.

Rodin

You will have very little time after the palace 7 deadline to do Confidants, so try to get them done as soon as possible. There's no way to avoid this.
Thanks.
People obsessing over maxing everything out need to relax.
Hang out with the characters you like, prioritize perks that you feel will be the most useful for you and enjoy the game.
The game gives you lots of options so you can decide how you progress through it, not to make you obsessively follow a script someone else wrote.
That's how i played the game since the beginning and i like this aspect. Still every review or description of the game I've read said that
it was supposed to last a full year so it's pretty disappointing to know that it's not true, because now i don't have enough time to even complete some of the confidants stories i was sure i had time to do.

At the same time, I'm not too crazy about replaying a 80-100 hour game to see stuff i skipped (or worse, started, got invested in and not completed) during this playthrough.

Welcome to the club. The club of people with correct opinions.
Ryuji is one of the best characters in the game.
That was just a silly (and annoying, and even a bit forced) argument that both parties got over pretty quickly,
people calling him an asshole because of that didn't pay attention to the real assholes in the game or to Ryuji's dialogues and his side quest. He's genuinely a good guy.

I don't get all the love for Morgana. He is one of the worst Persona characters combat-wise.
Low HP, his magic isn't that high, and Joker, Ann and Makoto also work as healers.
His gimmick is really situational, dependant on luck and requieres Yusuke in your team to be useful (a spot better reserved for Ryuji).

Even Teddy was more useful.

Toki767

I don't get all the love for Morgana. He is one of the worst Persona characters combat-wise.
Low HP, his magic isn't that high, and Joker, Ann and Makoto also work as healers.
His gimmick is really situational, dependant on luck and requieres Yusuke in your team to be useful (a spot better reserved for Ryuji).

Morgana only has one job for me.

To help me catch treasure demons.

EMT0

Banned

Late August/Early September spoilers:
It actually goes really well with his insecurity that starts to show. I thought it was a really weird coincidence that I've put Morgana on the bench and the plot started to center on his feeling useless. Maybe it's by design?

I liked having Morgana early on because he seemed to be getting more of the status ailment recovery options before my MC did, but yeah his utility seems less later on.

Ryuji is one of the best characters in the game.
That was just a silly (and annoying, and even a bit forced) argument that both parties got over pretty quickly,
people calling him an asshole because of that didn't pay attention to the real assholes in the game or to Ryuji's dialogues and his side quest. He's genuinely a good guy.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get TOO crazy here.

Ryuji feels like he's only a couple of wrong moves away from being Mishima. Like, he gets really wrapped up in the whole "people will know our names!" and "oh man we're gonna be so famous!" thing. What saves him is that yeah, he's ultimately a good guy at heart, and he's doing the Phantom Thieves stuff for the right reasons. But he kind of forgets that a lot in the early going.

Also, he's a bit yell-y. And he's got a bit of the horndog thing going, which I'm so tired of now after three games of similar characters.

Opa-Pa

I've been thinking of how oddly great Kaneshiro's english voice was for a while since I beat that palace and what do you know, he's voiced by the guy who voiced Krishna in SMT4A! Apparently the guy is new talent in the game industry, bless Atlus for discovering such a talented man.

Ulong

Ann only learning single target Dia's isn't so much a viable healer as she is useful as a side board party member who you spend the sp of so you don't waste your main party sp healing. Makoto does get healing but at a much slower rate than Morgana. As an example Morgana get's mediarama at level 34 while makoto waits until 41.

That said, outside of combat yeah fuck morgana.

PK Gaming

Morgana is solid. He has the earliest access to Mediarama which is great, Lucky/Miracle Punch for semi reliable knock downs and competent stats all around. His HP is on the low side, but good armor mitigates that. Also Ann doesn't learn Mediarama so her healing can't match his, and Makoto doesn't learn Mediarama until the 40s (and she still doesn't outclass him).

And finally...

"Even Teddy was more useful?" Teddy was a top 3 character in P4...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Strength SL seems like a pain to raise even with a guide :/

Also booted up P4G, sunno why I was expecting higher res but I was. Its quite jarring against the super sharp 2D screens with the character portraits and writing :/

Im sure ill get used to it.

Ultimadrago

I used Lucky/Miracle Punch for latter Treasure Demons before I had access to the Gun Special. Worked nicely.

Also, I like Morgana more than Teddie as a (mascot) character. Actually, I would say he's maybe one of the better JRPG mascot characters around. The spunky brat.

That said, he should learn to take what he dishes more. The script made me feel that 50% of his dialogue shits on Ryuji. Hah! In addition, his infatuation with "Ann-dono" makes things awkward. At least Teddie laid it on thick for everyone!

Also booted up P4G, sunno why I was expecting higher res but I was. Its quite jarring against the super sharp 2D screens with the character portraits and writing :/

Lol. It's a bit tough for me to look back (not that Persona 5 is a technical splendor, but the menus alone are a 1-Up from many RPGs).

JerkShep

Is the Rank 7 Chariot ability as bad as some people claim? It's the
Instant Kill ability
. I have a tendency of being a bit overlevelled in Persona games so I'm afraid it might ruin dungeon exploration for me. I have a huge stretch of Confidant activity planned before entering the third palace, so I wouldn't want to have to reload 10 in game days because I found out I hate it. Help me GAF!

Opa-Pa

Just fused High Pixie for the first time. Happy 4/20 y'all

Mandatory
C8xnF4ZXkAURUyr.jpg

If you're annoyed at the complicated recipes and whatnot I suggest you just fuse whatever persona you need and then pray to RNG to give it the desired skill with the gallows. It's pretty manageable that way.

Also yeah, P4 was quite the shitty looking game even back when it released and they only touched up the persona models for Golden so it looks super rough. Hell, I think the non interface graphics are all sub native res too...

Toki767

If they ever remade any of the Persona games with the Persona 5 graphics engine.

Would be so great. But it'd probably take too much time.

How soon are people expecting Persona 6? 10 years?

Ultimadrago

That was his worst trait.

I won't argue that! But it made me take him as a general jester rather than Morgana saving face in coaching the team and then doing everything short of humping Ann's leg a little after. It made me wonder how awkward those interactions were for people planning on or dating Ann in the game.

A part of me wishes Morgana would react to you dating Ann with contempt or sadness. Haha

If they ever remade any of the Persona games with the Persona 5 graphics engine.

I don't want to think about it or how many spin-offs are going to show in-between.

Guess Who

Banned
Instant Kill ability
. I have a tendency of being a bit overlevelled in Persona games so I'm afraid it might ruin dungeon exploration for me. I have a huge stretch of Confidant activity planned before entering the third palace, so I wouldn't want to have to reload 10 in game days because I found out I hate it. Help me GAF!

Unless you are comically overleveled, it's fine. I only ever saw it take effect when doing old Mementos floors.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Real talk. I just use whatever persona looks cooler and has the spells I usually need after fusing, I dont pay attention to whos the better one or even the invulnerabilities :/

Worked up to palace 6 on normal tho :3

It would be great. I would think they could hand it off to a port studio if that was a route they wanted to take. I would love to have a definitive version of Persona 3 with updated graphics and some quality of life improvements.

A lot sooner than we expect. Persona 5 took forever because they tied it to their HD RPG developments including engine and demon models. It was a similar position to SMT3: Nocturne and after that game released, the floodgates opened for tons of awesome SMT games including Persona 3 and 4. I wouldn't doubt that Persona 6 is in the workings and would be launched within 3 years

PK Gaming

Instant Kill ability

It's not, and the fact that people (myself included) were fooled into thinking that was the case is deeply depressing to me.

Mandatory
C8xnF4ZXkAURUyr.jpg

lmao

Ponn

Banned
I can't ever side with Ryuiji over Morgana. Morgana is just dropping truth bombs on Ryuiji, nothing he says to him is wrong, just the hard truth. Especially post 5th Palace...
all this shit you are throwing a fit about Ryuiji, it's all on you buddy. You and your glory hog bullshit, you were doing nothing but bellyaching over it.

I have a feeling this is more about dog lovers vs cat lovers.

Mariip

Unless you are comically overleveled, it's fine. I only ever saw it take effect when doing old Mementos floors.
This. I was worried at first since i disn't have a save to go back befor rank 7 but now i find it ultra convenient in mementos since it allows me to rush to the bosses, if you need the cash, just let them hit you first, you'll manage it(in mementos of course)

I can't ever side with Ryuiji over Morgana. Morgana is just dropping truth bombs on Ryuiji, nothing he says to him is wrong, just the hard truth. Especially post 5th Palace...
all this shit you are throwing a fit about Ryuiji, it's all on you buddy. You and your glory hog bullshit, you were doing nothing but bellyaching over it.

Did you just call Ryuji a dog?

Not that I disagree with that take.

Guess Who

Banned

I hate dogs with a passion and own a cat whom I love very much, but I generally prefer Ryuji to Morgana.

_Ryo_

99 hours and still in
7th
dungeon. I blame 5th dungeons stupid
airlock
puzzles. Which took me like 6 hours to sorta brutrforce my way through.

Anyway,I assume now it will take me 150hrs to beat. Though, to add to that when I can walk somewhere I choose to do that,instead of using the quick travel. Really adds up the hours. #noregrets

Rodin

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get TOO crazy here.

Ryuji feels like he's only a couple of wrong moves away from being Mishima. Like, he gets really wrapped up in the whole "people will know our names!" and "oh man we're gonna be so famous!" thing. What saves him is that yeah, he's ultimately a good guy at heart, and he's doing the Phantom Thieves stuff for the right reasons. But he kind of forgets that a lot in the early going.

Also, he's a bit yell-y. And he's got a bit of the horndog thing going, which I'm so tired of now after three games of similar characters.
Spoilers to after palace 6
Yeah, like the rest of them except (partially, and depending on what answers you give) Joker. It's one of the main themes and also how Akechi almost fucked them. Maybe he was leading the charge a few times early on, but he certainly wasn't the only one and despite that he started the PT for the right reasons. It's also good to see how they realize their mistake and manage to grow, that's character development ans it's expanded by the confidants quests.

And no, he isn't a couple of bad decisions away from being Mishima considering he has a Persona and Mishima has a fucked up shadow in mementos.
Same.

ZServ

So! Question. How many dungeons are there, total, in this game? I'm going to
the 7th palace, Shido's
soon. Including Mementos, that would be 8. Are there more palaces, or should I expect this to be the big finale?

Top Bottom