• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Mariip

Did some early morning practice after a P5 session and 'Personafied' myself.

Peeps seemed to like it, so I feel ..."confidant" enough to share it.

Utgcv4fm.png
This is awesome *-*! I wanna try doing this too now ;~;

Lyng

Just received my review copy Wednesday. Started playing today, suddenly 6 hours just flew by.
If this quality keeps up this is definitely a strong contender for my game of the year, bloody hell what a game!

6 million should be more than enough to finish the last 25% of the compendium right?

I need that platinum... Still can't get enough of this game haha.

Oh yeah, unless you're trying this at level 12 or something ridiculous. Even fusing the lvl 90+ personas wasn't too too expensive to me. I grinded the last relevant Mementos boss with confuse to get 7 million just in case for the last 5-10%, and then only needed 400,000 of it. Oops.

I check the average level of other players from time to time. I was always some levels above the average.

But now I'm suddenly 8 level below the average level. Lol, how?

I just finished the fight vs Akechi.
Now about to send the calling card to Shido

Gojeran

Hey gaf it's my first Persona game completed last night and I still feel kinda empty this morning. I loved the game and the story and everything and wanted to see it to the end but never thought about it actually ending... like it's over now. It's like finishing a really long book or a series like Harry Potter or something when you don't want to close the cover because you don't want to leave the world and the characters you have grown so close to. I know it will still be there for me to play and enjoy for as long as I want to but the mystery is solved now and it will never be the first experience again. As the credits were rolling I just kinda felt numb... like well this sucks I want to know what happens now. Sigh. Does this feeling happen to the rest of you? Or any of you? Is it a Persona thing, or am I just weird?

Hey gaf it's my first Persona game completed last night and I still feel kinda empty this morning. I loved the game and the story and everything and wanted to see it to the end but never thought about it actually ending... like it's over now. It's like finishing a really long book or a series like Harry Potter or something when you don't want to close the cover because you don't want to leave the world and the characters you have grown so close to. I know it will still be there for me to play and enjoy for as long as I want to but the mystery is solved now and it will never be the first experience again. As the credits were rolling I just kinda felt numb... like well this sucks I want to know what happens now. Sigh. Does this feeling happen to the rest of you? Or any of you? Is it a Persona thing, or am I just weird?
it happens rarely, but it happens to me too. And twice this year...since Nier Automata was just a little while ago

I check the average level of other players from time to time. I was always some levels above the average.

But now I'm suddenly 8 level below the average level. Lol, how?

I just finished the fight vs Akechi.
Now about to send the calling card to Shido

There's a specific grinding exploit that can be used during the four or five "Flu Season" days in Nov/Dec. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the reason for the sudden level jump.
Other than that, I'd just assume people are grinding like mad sometimes. I finished the game with only about 80+ hours clocked and I've had people give me much higher numbers than that.

Quonny

Happens with me with slice of life anime.

That's why I don't watch it anymore.

FeelsBadMan, but only for like a day then it passes.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wanted to youtube the boss theme that plays for Mementos bosses and Im pretty sure I just got spoiled on the Palace 7 boss. Im still on the 5th palace.

Fuck.

So something that confuses about Ann's personality is (social link spoilers)
that she has so much respect for that other model who is constantly shitty and manipulates her, it also seems like you get the most points for saying how cool and respectable that girl is. This girl being a total shit gets so much admiration from Ann.
Is this a cultural or translation thing? Is it just weird and doesn't make much sense? Or is this a common thing that I'm totally unfamiliar with?

_Ryo_

Definitelt happened to me with Persona 3. A bit with Persona 4 but not as much.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
that she has so much respect for that other model who is constantly shitty and manipulates her, it also seems like you get the most points for saying how cool and respectable that girl is. This girl being a total shit gets so much admiration from Ann.
Is this a cultural or translation thing? Is it just weird and doesn't make much sense? Or is this a common thing that I'm totally unfamiliar with?

I think someone called Ann an airhead in the game once. I love my homegirl Ann but shes not the brightest lightbulb.

I think someone called Ann an airhead in the game once. I love my homegirl Ann but shes not the brightest lightbulb.

Idk she seems pretty on the ball during the beginning of the game, this seems so out of character for her whole
"I'm not going to be controlled anymore"
arc during palace 1.

JBwB

This always happens to me with Persona games.

Considering it's your first Persona game you should definitely check out Persona 4 / Persona 4 Golden. You will no doubt get the same feeling from that game as well.

kewlmyc

Utgcv4fm.png

Jut browsing through the thread, I thought someone made a portrait for newspaper girl.

Nice self-portrait.

MSMrRound

Wanted to youtube the boss theme that plays for Mementos bosses and Im pretty sure I just got spoiled on the Palace 7 boss. Im still on the 5th palace.

Fuck.

Damn. Golden rule is not to go on Youtube till you are done with the game.

If you are still looking for that theme, try listening to it on Soundcloud or other services that don't employ the use of thumbnails.

For reference, the song is called "Keeper of Lust"

Zesh

Fuck.
For what it's worth, I don't think this is a huge spoiler. It should be pretty clear who the villain is in the events leading up to that.

Gojeran

This always happens to me with Persona games.

Considering it's your first Persona game you should definitely check out Persona 4 / Persona 4 Golden. You will no doubt get the same feeling from that game as well.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was considering playing P4 but from reading on Gaf it seems like the quality of life and polish of P5 is going to make playing the older titles a lot more difficult. I've also heard this is the directors last Persona title :( is that like kojima not doing metal gear? I.E. if there is a P6 at some point without the current director will it just be an empty shell with a Persona name attached to it? I really don't know anything about the series other than years ago when I first saw the trailer I was like wow I don't care what this game is about but I need this in my life. It was so colorful and vibrant and bold. It was style incarnate and I loved it. Years later I bought it and loved playing it too and didn't want it to end despite pressing on for the finish so I could see it through to the end.

LiK

Fuck.

Not much of a spoiler tbh. You should have wind of who it could be at your current progression. The only spoiler would be to know the theme of what the palace is. So you're safe.

Kyuur

Crammed for the third exam season, why not, get some extra SL points at the same time. No rank up from 4 to 5. The day after I get one knowledge point from somewhere and I rank max. Fuck me.

I still got top 10 at least. But I'm already max charm so what's the point qq

Just finished it.
Best game I've played in a few years.

Downloading P4 on PS3 right now.. sucks I don't have a Vita

If you can handle the gameplay downgrade then consider playing persona 2&3. 2 and 3 always had the best story in my eyes but gameplay in p2 is quite different.

Opa-Pa

Tatsuya
was described as really handsome in P2 if I remember correctly. I guess that's one of his
brother's
character traits too.

Yeah I think there's even some fan of Katsuya at the police station in EP who's constantly fantasizing about him haha. It's just that he's such a dorky character that's still funny to me. I love him though! He's one of my favorite Persona characters.

Shoutout to Shiho! Raise a glass for her, everybody.

This is Ann in every single one of her SL events.

Ann said it herself, she is like the female villains she looked up to as a kid. Cunning, Beatiful, and Strong.

Opa-Pa

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was considering playing P4 but from reading on Gaf it seems like the quality of life and polish of P5 is going to make playing the older titles a lot more difficult. I've also heard this is the directors last Persona title :( is that like kojima not doing metal gear? I.E. if there is a P6 at some point without the current director will it just be an empty shell with a Persona name attached to it? I really don't know anything about the series other than years ago when I first saw the trailer I was like wow I don't care what this game is about but I need this in my life. It was so colorful and vibrant and bold. It was style incarnate and I loved it. Years later I bought it and loved playing it too and didn't want it to end despite pressing on for the finish so I could see it through to the end.

As a long time fan I thought going back to 3 and 4 was going to be super rough, but turns out they're still good fun in their own right. It's definitely a downgrade, but it's not as bad as one would think.

And well, I don't think it's the same as with Kojima. Hashino revitalized the series and took it in a new direction with Persona 3, but he has no involvement in the past three games, and I'm sure whoever takes the series now will try to stick to the current structure for the most part and who knows, the writing may even be better. I think he was fundamental for building the current format, but big part of why these games are so stylish and quality has to do with other artists involved, like Soejima (lead designer) and Meguro (composer) and both are staying with the franchise.

Also you should consider playing P3 first. People are quick to immediately suggest P4G, but Persona 3 is available in every platform that P4 is in, and it's a great game and very similar to 4 too, so there's no good reason to miss it (and yes, P4 introduces new QoL improvements that may make playing P3 later worse).

LiK

I can't recommend playing P3 first ever. Tartarus is soul-sucking. Made me lose interest in the series until I played P4.

We just so happened to be discussing this in the confidant thread as well. To summarize,
I think part of it is that Ann doesn't actually suffer very much materially from what that girl does, and Ann sees her ambition and moxie as a) something that's lacking in herself and b) something to emulate, just without all the underhandedness. Fits with her saying she likes the sexy/cool villains even though she doesn't want to be a bad girl herself.

Ann said it herself, she is like the female villains she looked up to as a kid. Cunning, Beatiful, and Strong.

It just seems really out of sync considering she wants to be a phantom thief who steals corrupted hearts to make the world a better place. She's going to do that and also look up to an adult that
consistently belittles her and baits her into looking bad and losing work because she feels threatened by younger talent?
I guess my main issue is how incongruous it feels based on her other goals as a character.

Maybe I'm just not far in enough to hear that she likes the archetype without wanting to be that person but it still seems weird because this girl is like the embodiment of a mementos boss.

It just seems really out of sync considering she wants to be a phantom thief who steals corrupted hearts to make the world a better place. She's going to do that and also look up to an adult that
consistently belittles her and baits her into looking bad and losing work because she feels threatened by younger talent?
I guess my main issue is how incongruous it feels based on her other goals as a character.

Maybe I'm just not far in enough to hear that she likes the archetype without wanting to be that person but it still seems weird because this girl is like the embodiment of a mementos boss.

They probably could've sold the
"I hate her! I want to be her!"
better, I agree.

PK Gaming

There's nothing weird about it. Ann starts her Confidant
with the desire to become a stronger person. She meets someone who embodies that ideal. Someone who busts her ass off to achieve success, and it makes her realize that she herself has been coasting off her natural good looks. Then there's the fact that Mika's cunning and duplicity reminds her of the villains she admired when she younger.

Ann just takes things in stride.

Hmm? I don't think Mika is an "adult" either. Maybe 18 or 19.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't recommend playing P3 first ever. Tartarus is soul-sucking. Made me lose interest in the series until I played P4.

I've actually been playing P3:FES a bit and it's definitely a rough transition after 5.

The janky ass advantage/disadvantage is a big standout after 5's stealth mechanics made that super smooth. Already have been RNG screwed much more heavily in 3 than I did in 5 when it comes to attacks missing and people falling down.

Bladenic

Oh please, if this is your first persona game then you can play P3 and P4 and be fine (or the earlier ones too but they're different style). Rest of us gotta wait for P6 although I just bought Golden which I've yet to play (only played original).

Oh please, if this is your first persona game then you can play P3 and P4 and be fine (or the earlier ones too but they're different style). Rest of us gotta wait for P6 although I just bought Golden which I've yet to play (only played original).

Or be three times as sad because you have to say goodbye to three casts of characters in a short period of time.

NeatoKuni

Utgcv4fm.png
I'm actually really in love with this, if you're down for doing it as a commission hit my PMs please!!

Gah! So cool!

P3FES was my first MegaTen game ever and I loved it from the get-go, I've only had people start on this one and love it, but lately people seem to be put off by how bottom heavy it is.

I probably wouldve given up on P3 if it wasnt for the fact it was the first I played in the series.

Junpei's story kept me going, but tartarus is a fucking slog

Gojeran

As a long time fan I thought going back to 3 and 4 was going to be super rough, but turns out they're still good fun in their own right. It's definitely a downgrade, but it's not as bad as one would think.

And well, I don't think it's the same as with Kojima. Hashino revitalized the series and took it in a new direction with Persona 3, but he has no involvement in the past three games, and I'm sure whoever takes the series now will try to stick to the current structure for the most part and who knows, the writing may even be better. I think he was fundamental for building the current format, but big part of why these games are so stylish and quality has to do with other artists involved, like Soejima (lead designer) and Meguro (composer) and both are staying with the franchise.

Also you should consider playing P3 first. People are quick to immediately suggest P4G, but Persona 3 is available in every platform that P4 is in, and it's a great game and very similar to 4 too, so there's no good reason to miss it (and yes, P4 introduces new QoL improvements that may make playing P3 later worse).

This gives me some hope that P6 could be just as awesome as 5 or even more so. I was already on the internet reading about P6 and it seems like it's definitely going to happen at some point, hopefully in a few years not a decade. Also since I loved the art style and OST it's great to hear both of those people are staying with Persona team.

Astral

I wanna comment on Morgana behaving like a shit in October. I'm surprised to see a lot of people here mad at him for what he did.
I thought it was understandable he felt the way he did. Everyone was riding Futaba's dick after she joined and took over his role. She was so much better at it too and he knew that. He already felt useless, he didn't need Ryuji reminding him. It annoyed me so much that you couldn't speak up and say "Yo you guys are making Morgana feel like shit." Instead the MC is somehow so clueless.

Bladenic

I wanna comment on Morgana behaving like a shit in October. I'm surprised to see a lot of people here mad at him for what he did.
I thought it was understandable he felt the way he did. Everyone was riding Futaba's dick after she joined and took over his role. She was so much better at it too and he knew that. He already felt useless, he didn't need Ryuji reminding him. It annoyed me so much that you couldn't speak up and say "Yo you guys are making Morgana feel like shit." Instead the MC is somehow so clueless.

This was my reaction at first... except then I remembered how much of a dick Morgan was to Ryuji since the very beginning and thought "I don't like either of you" lmao

Top Bottom