• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Ann said it herself, she is like the female villains she looked up to as a kid. Cunning, Beatiful, and Strong.
On the other hand,
Mika is the kind of shitbag that you'd encounter in a Mementos request. She's deceptive, manipulative, cruel, and sees others as nothing more than stepping stones to be walked on.

I didn't think too much about it during the S.Link since Ann made her thought process clear, but in hindsight, the dissonance is kind of weird.

mrmickfran

Is all this possible on one playthough?:

Max all confidants
Max all social stats
Read all books
Play all games
Complete all Mementos quests

That seems pretty insane if so, this game is wayyy more strict than P4 was. I'm playing NG+ so, I don't have to worry about social stats, but even then I'm slightly overwhelmed.

P3P makes Tartarus much less of a slog due to the change of way they did in Tartarus exhaustion (especially for Party members) and using mechanics more like P4s for battles, also your party members don't behave like morons at critical points. At least for me.

Persona games aren't games for short periods of time lmao

"Short" period of time! You could totally probably maybe finish P3 and P4 in, um, two months or so!

I wanna comment on Morgana behaving like a shit in October. I'm surprised to see a lot of people here mad at him for what he did.
I thought it was understandable he felt the way he did. Everyone was riding Futaba's dick after she joined and took over his role. She was so much better at it too and he knew that. He already felt useless, he didn't need Ryuji reminding him. It annoyed me so much that you couldn't speak up and say "Yo you guys are making Morgana feel like shit." Instead the MC is somehow so clueless.

I mean, that's fine and all, and if they just left it at that I would absolutely sympathize. But
Morgana gets pissed off because the team doesn't immediately agree to take on Okumura, even though that's the arrangement they all agreed on and the others had actual good reasons to be hesitant--reasons that are validated by later events in the game. Then he takes it out on Ryuji, who is the one person who actually AGREES with Morgana, just because he falters when his friends and partners (who he trusts implicitly) raise valid objections. Then, after that, he deals with his frustrations in basically the most pissy, selfish manner possible, which include recruiting a complete stranger as his proxy in an insult war against the Phantom Thieves, and asking Haru to RUN THE PHANTOM THIEVES OVER IN MEMENTOS.

tl;dr: fuck Morgana.

Astral

Max all confidants
Max all social stats
Read all books
Play all games

That seems pretty insane if so, this game is wayyy more strict than P4 was. I'm playing NG+ so, I don't have to worry about social stats, but even then I'm slightly overwhelmed.

There's even a guide to it. It's indeed possible. It should be a lot easier on NG+. You'll have a lot of days off.

Max all confidants
Max all social stats
Read all books
Play all games

Yes. The major GameFAQs guide does all they and it doesn't make good use of Fortune Abilities, it's probably possible to get everything except
Twins & Satanael
in the first playthroughs trophy wise. Probably not equipment though due to days, levels and fusion item requirements for Itemization and the refresh delays.

I'm actually a fair bit ahead of the guide at the moment due to Fortune abuse, I even wasted an entire day in order to see Kawakami's Hawaii scene and I'm still a fair bit ahead, the Cheaters Never Prosper Quest coming ob 9/4 means you have to do Momentos twice that week.

Max all confidants
Max all social stats
Read all books
Play all games

I'm pretty sure it is. I'm on NG+ though and its super easy. Im in november and have finished every book and game and only have like 8 total rankups left for all social links (excluding auto up and strength). December is going to be void of rank ups.

PK Gaming

I mean, that's fine and all, and if they just left it at that I would absolutely sympathize. But
Morgana gets pissed off because the team doesn't immediately agree to take on Okumura, even though that's the arrangement they all agreed on and the others had actual good reasons to be hesitant--reasons that are validated by later events in the game. Then he takes it out on Ryuji, who is the one person who actually AGREES with Morgana, just because he falters when his friends and partners (who he trusts implicitly) raise valid objections. Then, after that, he deals with his frustrations in basically the most pissy, selfish manner possible, which include recruiting a complete stranger as his proxy in an insult war against the Phantom Thieves, and asking Haru to RUN THE PHANTOM THIEVES OVER IN MEMENTOS.

Watched this scene again on youtube to see if I missed anything, but no, Morgana is such an asshole there.
He leaves with barely any provocation!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Max all confidants
Max all social stats
Read all books
Play all games

NG+ would make that easy for sure.

I was able to max all confidants, max social stats, read all books and do all mementos quests on my first playthough. This is my first persona and I didn't touch a guide, didn't touch the games or fishing though.

KraytarJ

Basically yeah, I just went through that section again on NG+ and honestly it makes me hate both Morgana and Haru to a degree that no other persona game has done with a party member.

Zesh

Max all confidants
Max all social stats
Read all books
Play all games

Yes. If you want a truly efficient guide, use this one: http://spwiki.net/persona5/wikis/722.html.

You'll have to use Google translate, but I found it easy enough to understand, and it's much more efficient than the GameFAQs guide. I got all of those trophies and the fishing one without reloading, and I had tons of time left over at the end that I just used to train at the gym.

Edit: Should probably note that this guide is for NG; on NG+ you can get everything trivially.

Papercuts

Basically yeah, I just went through that section again on NG+ and honestly it makes me hate both Morgana and Haru to a degree that no other persona game has done with a party member.

Yup. Fuck them both.

Also Morgana
even if he had pent up anger at other things, actually leaves specifically over the team not fully committing to a target. Which was, like, their ONLY RULE to abide by. But he gets all pissy over it and leaves.

Meanwhile he is useless and sits on the bench all game while Ryuji is the actual best party member, lol.

Opa-Pa

I mean if you see Tartarus as a reason not to play P3 first, might as well suggest not playing it at all, no? If going through Tartarus after the dungeons in P5 will be bad, won't it be even worse after seeing that P4 also has more customized ones despite being random?

Tartarus is fine and P3 is good. Playing P4 first only helps making it harder for yourself to enjoy a great game for no reason.

Any idea how long until we get some reasonable idea of sales figures from different regions?

I'm actually quite interested in how the PS4:pS3 ratio ended up being (wasn't it like 97:3 somewhere?). I wonder what the hindsight is like at Atlus right now considering it was originally meant to be PS3-only lol.

(I'm guessing we would have got a P5: Crimson on PS4 relatively rapidly if vanilla had only been a PS3 release back in 2014-15 though.)

MSMrRound

The thing about Morgana's behaviour around the
Sep-Oct
period was (my own guess)
due to him starting to feel a sense of inferiority complex, much like how Junpei was starting to feel the same in Persona 3 due to the limelight being taken off him.

First of all Morgana was their default navigator, the Mitsuru/Teddie "okay maybe my Persona can do a bit of this and that and I can guide you around since I got some basic know how". Morgana is certainly not a top-tier navigator that you would want around endgame, but dang if he wasn't trying his best to guide the group to their next objective and what's not, despite the complaints from Ryuji etc, having to nag at the leader like a mom every night for the MC to have his beauty rest and what's not.

In comes Futaba who just joined the group. Surprise surprise! Her Persona is actually more specialized for dealing with the dungeon navigations and back-up support! While everyone in the group were eager to crowd around Futaba, slowly encouraging her to come out her shell by singing praises of her, Morgana felt frightened by the idea that there's someone here that can do his job better than he ever can. These moments can be felt when he felt the sting whenever someone in the cast (AHHEEEEEM RYUJI) praised Futaba, saying that she can do a better job than Morgana ever can

That's how the idea of trying to infiltrate Okumura's dungeon by himself came to his head and due to his willful pride, he set his mind to leave the group to their Goddess Futaba and claim all the treasures for himself, trying to set himself a bar so high that, in the case that he accomplishes it, his fragile ego can be stroked and his mind put to ease, that he was actually still relevant in the Phantom Thief climate and can get the job done...

...However he soon realized that he kind of over-estimated himself and injured himself before fate would cross him with Haru "HERE'S YOUR NEXT PARTY MEMBER!! in NEON SIGNS" Okumura.

That's my idea behind Morgana's behaviour.

mrmickfran

I just looked at the guide that you guys mentioned, and wow, it leaves absolutely zero room for error. That's too nerve wracking for me, I couldn't do it.

NG+ would make that easy for sure.

I was able to max all confidants, max social stats, read all books and do all mementos quests on my first playthough. This is my first persona and I didn't touch a guide, didn't touch the games or fishing though.

And this was your first Persona? That's really impressive.

Papercuts

I just looked at the guide that you guys mentioned, and wow, it leaves absolutely zero room for error. That's too nerve wracking for me, I couldn't do it.

Yup! I did do the confidant thing on the last possible ingame day though so the schedule I had was super tight, but it felt really good to pull off.

Zolo

Sep-Oct
due to him starting to feel a sense of inferiority complex, much like how Junpei was starting to feel the same in Persona 3 due to the limelight being taken off him.

First of all Morgana was their default navigator, the Mitsuru/Teddie "okay maybe my Persona can do a bit of this and that and I can guide you around since I got some basic know how". Morgana is certainly not a top-tier navigator that you would want around endgame, but dang if he wasn't trying his best to guide the group to their next objective and what's not, despite the complaints from Ryuji etc, having to nag at the leader like a mom every night for the MC to have his beauty rest and what's not.

In comes Futaba who just joined the group. Surprise surprise! Her Persona is actually more specialized for dealing with the dungeon navigations and back-up support! While everyone in the group were eager to crowd around Futaba, slowly encouraging her to come out her shell by singing praises of her, Morgana felt frightened by the idea that there's someone here that can do his job better than he ever can. These moments can be felt when he felt the sting whenever someone in the cast (AHHEEEEEM RYUJI) praised Futaba, saying that she can do a better job than Morgana ever can

That's how the idea of trying to infiltrate Okumura's dungeon by himself came to his head and due to his willful pride, he set his mind to leave the group to their Goddess Futaba and claim all the treasures for himself, trying to set himself a bar so high that, in the case that he accomplishes it, his fragile ego can be stroked and his mind put to ease, that he was actually still relevant in the Phantom Thief climate and can get the job done...

...However he soon realized that he kind of over-estimated himself and injured himself before fate would cross him with Haru "HERE'S YOUR NEXT PARTY MEMBER!! in NEON SIGNS" Okumura.

It's also that Morgana was starting to feel lost in the world due to coming to the realization that there's a good chance of him not actually being human.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Pretty much. I liked Morgana too but after that its like jeez, now thats always gonna be at the back of my mind and I wont like/trust him unconditionally like before.

If he was an optional confidant this is where Id quit spending any time with him whatsoever. Hopefully he redeems himself further on.

Astral

Sep-Oct

Well said. This is exactly it. Morgana
doesn't leave the group solely because the group didn't wanna take on Okumura immediately, he left because he felt inferior compared to Futaba and everyone disagreeing with him on this further cemented he possibility that he was indeed no longer needed, so he stubbornly left to do his own shit fuck the consequences or whether it's the right course of action.

I was surprised with how little tact eveyone had that month.

Sep-Oct

There's a hint him feeling that way even before then, when Makoto joins and she's competent and has a motorbike which is cooler than his bus form.

Zafir

Max all confidants
Max all social stats
Read all books
Play all games

Easily doable on NG+ assuming you maxed Fortune on your first playthrough. Just abuse the fortune telling which gives affinity with a chosen confidant. Means you can always get a level up every time you meet with someone (unless you have to hang out with them for whatever reason).

Still doable even without, but you'll want to prioritise Fortune as soon as she opens up, or alternatively you'd want to look up a guide which tells you what responses give the most points in social links.

As for on a first playthrough, there's a guide which you can follow to do it all in a single playthrough, but I'm not sure I'd recommend anyone actually play like that. I think it would have killed a lot of the fun for me if I'd have followed a guide.

jonjonaug

You have a decent amount of room for error if you don't care about the all books and all games trophies. You can shave time off the guide by taking advantage of a couple things to finish Chariot and Emperor faster (these are mentioned in the guide, all you miss out on are a couple of room decorations) and abuse the benefit you get from the Fortune link that lets you pay for the equivalent of a single hangout period in points without spending time. If you do those things and do everything else perfectly you'd have time to get the fishing trophy too and still have a bit of time left over.

Easily doable on NG+ assuming you maxed Fortune on your first playthrough. Just abuse the fortune telling which gives affinity with a chosen confidant. Means you can always get a level up every time you meet with someone (unless you have to hang out with them for whatever reason).

Still doable even without, but you'll want to prioritise Fortune as soon as she opens up, or alternatively you'd want to look up a guide which tells you what responses give the most points in social links.

How does this work? Fortune's abilities carry over?

RalchAC

Sep-Oct

Your analysis is not wrong. I think he just wanted
to go to a Palace ASAP in order to prove he is an important part of the team.

Just wanted to add 2 little things:

The first one, Ryuji. He definitely is a bit butthurt by then, saying stuff like "you sure are awesome Futaba! Not like some cat I know", which is a scene that's shown as a flashback like 3-4 times through that arc?

The second one, I think there was a problem with Morgana behaviour from the get go. I mean, when he's talking about the Metaverse he is all condescending and cocky, only to finish the sentence with an "I think" or some similar remark. Like, I can't fault Ryuji for calling him out for that. The cat is guiding the group through a dangerous place acting all high and mighty eventhough he isn't sure about anything. Just say you aren't 100% sure from the very beginning, seriously.

Balphon

Using the rank 1 and rank 7 Fortune confidant abilities makes maxing everything in one go much easier. They save lots of time.

Zafir

How does this work? Fortune's abilities carry over?

Yeah, maxing a confidant on the first play through means they'll give an item which unlocks some of their skills on a second playthrough. In fortunes case, you have access to all of her fortune telling right from when you meet her.

Does anyone know the best places in Mementos to be looking for the various Black items for Itemization ?

I've found barely any robes , a few kogatana , pretty much no guns (behind the 5 or so you can get from Capsule trading in Akihabara) and have a bunch of Stones and more Skill Card than are useful at my current level.

I've been getting stuff from Tanaka's and the second hand shop top but probably not enough to get everything.

Rodin

So, do i need to max every confidant i maxed in my first playthrough again to get the achievement? I should be able to do that since my social skills are already maxed, so i have more time for them and i can start/progress through all of them without having to wait to reach a certain rank, but just in case i'd give them priority.

Same goes for books (not that i remember all i've read so it's pointless haha).

Sep-Oct

Yeah, I mean, you're not wrong about any of the above; he telegraphs much of this as soon as
Futaba joins the party
. Again, if that was all there was, and we cut straight to the scene where
he decides to leave the Phantom Thieves because he thinks he's not useful
, great. But that's not the end of it.
He basically told his friends to fuck off at the first sign of disagreement; it doesn't matter what internal personal issues he had, especially if they have to read goddamned tea leaves to figure out what your issues are. And it's not like they don't notice anything at all; you literally have the option at several points in the story to ask him straight-up, are you okay, do you want to talk about your issues. He does not.

At some point, you have to actually trust your fucking teammates. Morgana clearly does not. He doesn't tell them about any of his issues, makes zero effort to reach out when he's in trouble, and instead chooses to spite all of them at the first convenient opportunity so he can prove something to himself. If this were a real-world relationship, we'd call that destructive behavior. Literally the only thing that saves Morgana as a character in the end is that he feels remorse and apologizes; that shows he's not a monster. But that doesn't mean what he did is suddenly okay just because he had personal reasons.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Again: yes, this is all self-evident in the story and he telegraphs much of this as soon as
Futaba joins the party
. That's not in question.
He basically told his friends to fuck off at the first sign of disagreement; it doesn't matter what internal personal issues he had, especially if they have to read goddamned tea leaves to figure out what your issues are. And it's not like they don't notice anything at all; you literally have the option at several points in the story to ask him straight-up, are you okay, do you want to talk about your issues. He does not.

At some point, you have to actually trust your fucking teammates. Morgana clearly does not. He doesn't tell them about any of his issues, makes zero effort to reach out when he's in trouble, and instead chooses to spite all of them at the first convenient opportunity so he can prove something to himself. If this were a real-world relationship, we'd call that destructive behavior. Literally the only thing that saves Morgana as a character in the end is that he feels remorse and apologizes; that shows he's not a monster. But that doesn't mean what he did is suddenly okay just because he had personal reasons.

My thoughts exactly. Fuck him. Plus he made Ryuji look like the bad guy. You dont do that to the bro.

Calls Ryuji pathetic everytime he misses an attack. Hes got no problem being a dick to Ryuji but cant take even a little bit of what you dish out?

Semajer

I'm in the first palace now, but I don't have enough lockpicks to get all the chests. Will I be able to return to this palace later in the game without having to dedicate some time to it specifically? In Persona 4 you could access any of the dungeons as much as you liked from the TV world once.

ShadyK54

I'm in the first palace now, but I don't have enough lockpicks to get all the chests. Will I be able to return to this palace later in the game without having to dedicate some time to it specifically? In Persona 4 you could access any of the dungeons as much as you liked from the TV world once.

Once you finish the palace
(steal the treasure)
, that's it. No going back to it.

RalchAC

After reaching the end of the Palace, you must go back to it one more time. You should be able to craft some lockpics if you want before then.

aly

"Short" period of time! You could totally probably maybe finish P3 and P4 in, um, two months or so!

Yep. That whole sequence annoyed me.

It's also pretty obvious that Morgana isn't a huge fan of Futaba for a large chunk of the game. She would
do that annoying thing to his cheeks, which all cats hate but they have to suck up for being so cute, so that's fair
but he can be kind of rude to her at times, obviously not on Ryuji level, and never really goes out of his way to speak to her after the
"getting over being in public"[/SPOILER arc, while you see cute body language and jokes between her and the other party members all the time. Now that I think about it, the devs really liked Futaba.

aly

My thoughts exactly. Fuck him. Plus he made Ryuji look like the bad guy. You dont do that to the bro.

Calls Ryuji pathetic everytime he misses an attack. Hes got no problem being a dick to Ryuji but cant take even a little bit of what you dish out?

I think this what made it double annoying. To the bench with you Cat.

It's also pretty obvious that Morgana isn't a huge fan of Futaba for a large chunk of the game. She would
do that annoying thing to his cheeks, which all cats hate but they have to suck up for being so cute, so that's fair
but he can be kind of rude to her at times, obviously not on Ryuji level, and never really goes out of his way to speak to her after the
"getting over being in public"
arc, while you see cute body language and jokes between her and the other party members all the time. Now that I think about it, the devs really liked Futaba.
I think you might be reading into the writers happening to not put in a lot of interactions between the two. I got the sense that
Morgana was pretty cool with everybody after the pre-palace 5 tantrum.

Top Bottom