• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 PS4/PS3 comparison screens

Your post says otherwise.

There is more to preferring higher fps than input lag. You could see FPS as temporal resolution. With 60 fps you're getting twice as much information compared to 30 fps. Thus a 60 fps game looks better a 30 fps game. Just like a 4k game looks better than a 1080p game.

Yeah, you got me. I've never seen a 60fps game and don't know what it means.

Image quality comes through in a lot of factors. I never said 60fps games don't look different, but comparing changes in resolution when talking about image quality is very far from comparing image quality based on fps. In fact, given that we're talking about a console only title, most of the visual issues that might arise on a PC game from being only 30fps aren't even something that would enter into the conversation. Regardless of whatever visual benefit you personally feel 60fps imparts to a game, the conversation about 60fps is almost always part of a conversation about gameplay. Particularly when it comes to resolution vs fps, it's almost always a conversation about visuals vs gameplay.

Hence the question why 60fps on this type of title, or why it seems particularly important to some in this thread. To rephrase, what about this game from a gameplay perspective sees a benefit from 60fps?

Gaffi

Yeah, you got me. I've never seen a 60fps game and don't know what it means.

Image quality comes through in a lot of factors. I never said 60fps games don't look different, but comparing changes in resolution when talking about image quality is very far from comparing image quality based on fps. In fact, given that we're talking about a console only title, most of the visual issues that might arise on a PC game from being only 30fps aren't even something that would enter into the conversation. Regardless of whatever visual benefit you personally feel 60fps imparts to a game, the conversation about 60fps is almost always part of a conversation about gameplay. Particularly when it comes to resolution vs fps, it's almost always a conversation about visuals vs gameplay.

Hence the question why 60fps on this type of title, or why it seems particularly important to some in this thread. To rephrase, what about this game from a gameplay perspective sees a benefit from 60fps?
Little to none gameplay wise but the visual aspect of 60fps is there and shouldn't be ignored either. The smoothness of a locked 60fps at 1080p is on a completely different level visually than even 1080p/30fps. You get twice the visual information in the same span of time equaling smoother looking animation and effects.

Gbraga

Persona 5 is without a doubt my most anticipated game, but I have a question:

Can someone explain to me the interest in 60fps for this game? Is there some indication that it's going to be fast paced and require quicker inputs? I've never once thought that a Persona title would benefit from 60fps.

Honestly, I'd much rather them put the work into improving IQ for a title like this. Someone explain to me what I'm missing. (I fully understand the benefits of 60fps, I have a gaming PC, but I'm not seeing it for this type of game.)

I mean, 30fps was expected and I'm not complaining because it's 30, but 60fps also improves IQ. And navigating through menus absolutely does feel better at 60fps as well. It's not fundamental as it is in a fighting game, but the fact that it won't be a barrier to your skill doesn't mean that the difference is irrelevant.

Pro version could be 60 FPS.

PS4 version could probably be 60fps too if they cared, so I wouldn't expect 60 for Pro either.

Very good chance of native 4K, though. If they even bother.

The game was originally announced for the PS3, meaning the animation assets were most likely made with 30 fps in mind. So I doubt the PS4 version is 60 fps unless they went back and re-animated it from scratch.

Maxim726X

Man, really shows you how art style elevates a game.

I don't care how technically impressive the game is, but it looks fucking awesome.

Guess Who

Banned
The game was originally announced for the PS3, meaning the animation assets were most likely made with 30 fps in mind. So I doubt the PS4 version is 60 fps unless they went back and re-animated it from scratch.

That's... really not how 3D animation works in the vast majority of 3D games.

Top Bottom