• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

Sounds like it's just not as good as everyone hoped. Too bad. I'd consider it okay if it was at 95 on MC but hardly seems possible at this point. What a letdown. :(

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
this?
8c452b84513800bdef033600244b0d22.jpg

Someone photoshop in a goddamn F-22 and that picture will be complete.

Wollan

Just plunked down money on a PSN pre-order. :)
It has probably been a decade since I last played a classical JRPG.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I think the homophobia point is totally valid, but after the messy as hell Zelda, Mass Effect, Horizon, and NieR review threads I think we should collectively take a chill pill and avoid derailing the thread lol

This would be the sensible thing to do. Lets not blow things out of proportion.

I disagree strongly with the first paragraph and agree completely with the second. Is that weird? JRPG characters are never meant to be your representation they are a character you follow.

Persona 3-5 sort of toes the line, by making the player a mostly blank slate with dialogues options to define your personality, yet also possesses loosely defined traits and makes you follows through on the overarching story beats and character arc.

StereoVsn

Posting this again for posterity.

It will never ever get this good again. Also keep in mind the Gamecube and Xbox also came out in this same time frame.
Personally I would take this year. GR2, Yakuza 0, Nier, Nioh, and I am sure Persona 5, are some of the best games I have played in their genres and I haven't even gotten Horizon (or Zelda and DQVIII port but that's not PS). MEA is the only unfortunate downer in the otherwise amazing period for anyone who enjoys RPGs of any ilk.

Great showing for Persona 5 so far. I read through a few reviews and reviewers put in some serious time! Can't wait till next week.

I totally get the p5 isn't portable complaints, even though pure hours wise p4g took me longer then p3 fes p4g I completed in less weeks because I could play it on the many hours I'm stuck at school/work/transit/etc. Persona's day system is really perfect for quick play between classes or on lunch breaks. Doubly so for a game this freaking massive which is why I canceled my pre order even though I'm so excited for p5 the fact I can't play it on the go limits my time with it and I'd rather wait till summer when my schedule opens up more.

It will never ever get this good again. Also keep in mind the Gamecube and Xbox also came out in this same time frame.

It's getting pretty close doe.

Devil May Cry - Nioh
Final Fantasy X - Persona 5
Silent Hill 2 - Resident Evil 7
GTA 3 - Horizon
Ico - Gravity Rush 2 (?)
MGS2 - Nier Automata (lol)
Jak & Daxter - Yakuza 0 (lol?)
Ace Combat - Hatsune Fuckin Miku

ect.

Thanks, you just jinxed us.
Doubt I did, considering the score is still at 94 after 28 reviews ;P.
MY LOVE FOR THE GAME IS JUST TOOOO STRONG. Seriously, I spend $18 on Morgana merch alone here in Japan, I ain't even joking.

But to calm you down... 95 METASCORE HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, PURRSONA TIME, BABY~

78af1f07983b66ef93dcc634951ed802121acb00_hq.gif

Nimby

Banned
From the Polygon Review (super-light spoilers?)

Persona 5 wears progressive values on its sleeves, which makes its approach to non-straight romance all the more baffling. Joker can choose to start a relationship with every single female party member and non-player confidant in the game; none of the men are romanceable. This is despite the fact that one of the male party members is heavily implied to be at least bisexual, claiming to have no interest in the female form outside of art and often interacting with Joker in a flirty manner.

The lack of same-sex relationship options in Persona 5 would be little more than a frustrating omission, but the game pushes it into much more aggravating territory in a few scenes. Specifically, there are two recurring gag characters who are clearly homosexual. They show up at a couple of points throughout the game specifically to act effeminate and stereotypical, and to freak out Ryuji by flirting with him. Essentially, some of Persona 5’s only examples of queer characterization are there as a terrible joke.

Sounds really off-putting, especially the second paragraph :/

Why wouldn't you change this? The last paragraph specifically. I've known about it since the JP release but this always seemed like something you'd want out of your game. Being gay myself, I can understand Yosuke being a tad homophobic since he is a teenager, the only problem is the protag could only reinforce the situation against Kanji or ignore it. It's a character archetype that I'm fine with, as long as the game doesn't make you reinforce that shitty behavior. You couldn't stand up for Kanji or try to help Yosuke see differently. I hope future DLC/re-release can fix that problem (the first one), it's not going to sour my overall view of the game, but it is disappointing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I would say the density of the last 2+ months or so already has that old PS2 image beat, especially since it's a little misleading. Like GT3 was in July while FFX was a week before Christmas.

Rodin

I don't know how similar this is to SMT IV and TMS #FE, but I couldn't finish those because i got bored after a while (the former introduced that dreadful world map and had severe pacing issues, the latter was just too repetitive). This should also be longer than both so i really don't think i'm gonna jump in now. Maybe when it drops around 30 bucks.

I totally get the p5 isn't portable complaints, even though pure hours wise p4g took me longer then p3 fes p4g I completed in less weeks because I could play it on the many hours I'm stuck at school/work/transit/etc. Persona's day system is really perfect for quick play between classes or on lunch breaks. Doubly so for a game this freaking massive which is why I canceled my pre order even though I'm so excited for p5 the fact I can't play it on the go limits my time with it and I'd rather wait till summer when my schedule opens up more.

But you can play it portably with remote play!!

kromeo

Not getting too carried away with these scores, I loved Persona 3 and was kind of meh on 4.. Luckily I've got 11 days off coming up to judge for myself

I've accidentally ended up with pre orders from both amazon and shopto, not sure which one to cancel... Amazon never send out early but neither have shopto for quite a while now

hemo memo

Gold Member
Its sprawling dungeon design and stylish, fully realized world are an absolute joy to explore, and even after three playthroughs and the Platinum trophy, I find myself itching to go back to try different dialogue options with Confidants or revisit particularly fun puzzles.

That's hardcore haha

This is a quote from Andrew review - IGN

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Easy Allies doing a review? If so, who is writing it and when will it be up?

Ben is doing it *duh :p* last he said he is trying his very best to get it up by Friday.

Third time is the charm: Pls reviewers visit the spoiler thread xD I have a burning question in there I hope people that played the ENG version can answer.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Easy Allies doing a review? If so, who is writing it and when will it be up?

Theres one outlet whose review I can't wait to see.

Top Bottom