• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Are these 3 last months the best months in Playstation history or what?

Personna 5, Nioh, Horizon, Yakuza, Nier automata... holy shit!!

Posting this again for posterity.
28590845283_9bd5d77b7d_b.jpg

It will never ever get this good again. Also keep in mind the Gamecube and Xbox also came out in this same time frame.

I'm honestly not usually one to criticize reviews but docking points from a review because the game isn't playable on a portable system seems absurd to me. She literally says "my only issue is [I can't play this game on the go]" and then gives it an 85 despite that being her "only issue"? I mean seriously wtf is that?

Wait, how do you know she actually docked the score because of that? Why could it not have been just a gripe she mentioned in passing?

I played Persona 4, didn't finish it though. I was thinking about giving 5 a shot, but 90-100 hours to finish is a lot. I don't have that kind of time to dedicate to one game. I've had Horizon since the day it released and I've put about 16 hours into it.

It's the longest persona to date, so brace yourself.

kadotsu

Banned
From the Polygon Review (super-light spoilers?)

Persona 5 wears progressive values on its sleeves, which makes its approach to non-straight romance all the more baffling. Joker can choose to start a relationship with every single female party member and non-player confidant in the game; none of the men are romanceable. This is despite the fact that one of the male party members is heavily implied to be at least bisexual, claiming to have no interest in the female form outside of art and often interacting with Joker in a flirty manner.

The lack of same-sex relationship options in Persona 5 would be little more than a frustrating omission, but the game pushes it into much more aggravating territory in a few scenes. Specifically, there are two recurring gag characters who are clearly homosexual. They show up at a couple of points throughout the game specifically to act effeminate and stereotypical, and to freak out Ryuji by flirting with him. Essentially, some of Persona 5’s only examples of queer characterization are there as a terrible joke.

Sounds really off-putting, especially the second paragraph :/

I disagree strongly with the first paragraph and agree completely with the second. Is that weird? JRPG characters are never meant to be your representation they are a character you follow.

Pinky

Banned
It's like Final Fantasy, no need to play the previous games.

Standalone. I've espoused about it in the other thread, that the degree of polish easily makes P5 the best entry point for the series.

Not needed, you can jump in just like that 👍🏻

Every game stands on it's own. Each one has a new cast, location and antagonist. There are a few connecting threads between the games, but most are thematic. This is a great time to jump in.

Thanks for the replies! I might need to check this out down the road. Currently playing BotW, but I haven't played a good JRPG in ages. The Persona series appears to have a good rep.

Burbeting

Banned
I disagree strongly with the first paragraph and agree completely with the second. Is that weird? JRPG characters are never meant to be your representation they are a character you follow.

The first paragraph is somewhat fine to me, although disappointing. But I can't expect JRPG's to be good in this regard.

The second one though... yikes.

Lunar15

The funny thing is that these sound exactly like the posts in the import thread. Same praises and gripes. Surprise!

3 months in and we already have 4 Game of the Year contenders

(Zelda (My GOTY IMO), Nier, Horizon, Persona 5)

Holy crap.

The amazing and absolutely mind blowing fact to me is that Yakuza 0 would have probably been my GOTY last year but it's probably going to finish outside of the top 5 this year. And last year was pretty damn great.

Nightbird

sub 99 MC? Well, time to make my threat true and burn my CE, expect the video being up on Youtube next Saturday

Holy Shit, this is an amazing score!

I haven't played it yet, but I have a feeling it will be my GOTY.

Persona 4 was the best RPG in the past decade and I think this will help move Persona along for another decade :) (as in, Persona 5 will be the best RPG for the next following decade).

I'm the person who wrote that. I've also lived in Japan and am very aware of their cultural outlook on LGBT issues.

I give Japanese developers a lot of wiggle room on this kind of stuff, but this is something I don't think they deserve that on.

After giving it a little more thought, I suppose I'm alright with calling it out in a review. I wasn't at first. People should at least be aware of it.

I think its great that in America we have a fairly progressive attitude towards many things, LGBT issues included. I have a hard enough time taking care of myself let alone worrying about what other people are doing.

However, I do think its wrong to expect that everyone in the world shares those progressive views.

B00TE

Awesome to see the great reviews. Can't wait to play this in english, enjoyed the hell out of the JP release.

My brother and I are getting just one copy and I'm still tempted to get one for myself.

From the Polygon Review (super-light spoilers?)

Persona 5 wears progressive values on its sleeves, which makes its approach to non-straight romance all the more baffling. Joker can choose to start a relationship with every single female party member and non-player confidant in the game; none of the men are romanceable. This is despite the fact that one of the male party members is heavily implied to be at least bisexual, claiming to have no interest in the female form outside of art and often interacting with Joker in a flirty manner.

The lack of same-sex relationship options in Persona 5 would be little more than a frustrating omission, but the game pushes it into much more aggravating territory in a few scenes. Specifically, there are two recurring gag characters who are clearly homosexual. They show up at a couple of points throughout the game specifically to act effeminate and stereotypical, and to freak out Ryuji by flirting with him. Essentially, some of Persona 5’s only examples of queer characterization are there as a terrible joke.

Sounds really off-putting, especially the second paragraph :/
Yeah, I just read that. It's actually not as bad as I feared (relatively speaking), but I think a lot of it depends on how the other characters treat them.

I remember feeling my stomach actually turn during Yosuke's extreme prolonged homophobia towards Kanji at certain moments, but the localization did a good job of at least letting Yu be accepting of him.

I think a lot of responsibility is placed in the hands of the localization team to try to massage the tone into something more socially palatable to a western audience, and I hope they did the best they can on it, given the circumstances.

Jonnax

omg. Are people going to start a witch hunt over a reviewer saying they would have preferred it if it the game was handheld?

danthefan

I don't think that's quite it. I think coming off the back of P4G a lot of people would appreciate a portable version.

If you praise a game for being suited to a portable then surely you can go the other way?

P4G was a port of a home console game, and we've known for literally years that P5 wasn't coming to portable. It's very weird to call out in the review imo.

True Fire

I think the homophobia point is totally valid, but after the messy as hell Zelda, Mass Effect, Horizon, and NieR review threads I think we should collectively take a chill pill and avoid derailing the thread lol

omg. Are people going to start a witch hunt over a reviewer saying they would have preferred it if it the game was handheld?

Also, this.

RexNovis

Banned
I don't think that's quite it. I think coming off the back of P4G a lot of people would appreciate a portable version.

If you praise a game for being suited to a portable then surely you can go the other way?

She's critiquing the game itself not the platform it's on and even allowing for such criticism having a preference of playing something in a portable shouldn't be sufficient to dock 15 points off a score since she said that's the "only thing" she has against it. She basically turned a review into a port begging article instead of a software critique. Her complaint has nothing to do with the software and everything to do with the fact that she wants to play it outside her home. How is that a reasonable flaw to criticize the game for?

You should reflect on how silly this post is :p

I just assumed it was a parody. :D

"Man... 93... disappointing."
"NO WAIT! 94?!?!? Nevermind then!!"

In fact, I have to believe the constant ballwashing over Metacritic scores around here is just one big inside joke I'm not in on.
Actual written reviews and the substance within those reviews seems a lot more important to me. That, IMO, is a better way to determine if a game is worth your time and money than just seeing a number. I mean, one of my favorite PS2 games, Rule of Rose, has a score of 59. If I would have passed on that simply based on the score I would have missed out on a game that had a pretty powerful impact on me... but I digress. ;)

On topic: Next week can't get here fast enough. As a 'newer' Persona fan (started with Persona 3 FES about four years ago) I haven't had to endure what was likely a torturous wait for longtime Persona fans. Happy to hear the long wait was worth it.

Burbeting

Banned
I think the homophobia point is totally valid, but after the messy as hell Zelda, Mass Effect, Horizon, and NieR review threads I think we should collectively take a chill pill and avoid derailing the thread lol

I would make a separate thread about it, but I don't know if I have enough information about the subject without spoiling myself.

Top Bottom