• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

Japanese voices for sure. The game is set in Japan, so why would I want to hear them speak English?

Note: I am also fluent in Japanese.

Eh, if I was cool with aliens in Star Trek speaking in English, I'll be cool with a few high school kids in Japan doing it as well. My PS4 is a universal translator.

I'll let Mel Brooks sum up my take.

To Be or Not to Be(1983 Remake) said:
"For the purposes of clarity and sanity, the remainder of this film will NOT be in Polish!"

...they're basically the same, as "Chinese text on the cover" games are region 3 games, you know.

The Chinese text version is different from the English Region 3 version.

Raqr9Dh.jpg

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
So are the ppl here gonna play it in english or with the original japanese voices?

Take this from someone that thinks the JP voices are beyond stellar that generally will always go for the original in anything movies, books, dubs.

Play the game in the language you're most familiar with for the series. For most people in the west it will be English and they def should stick with English in that case or they're going to miss out on cool moments. You can always go JP in the second playthrough but you will never get that first playthrough back with the same surprises that you get for your familiarity.

If you are totally new to the series pick whatever sounds better to you.

Sorian

Banned
Some publishers have tried to innovate here like EA and Ubisoft but they also have the luxury of owning the distribution platforms and are also defining the terms by which such access is granted to make it more favorable to them (read: the collection of that sweet SAAS monthly revenue). I'm not going to ask Atlus to risk its relationship with its current network of retailers, none of whom would be all that happy if they signed a contract to release a game in time for a set deadline while Atlus signs a separate, more favorable deal with Sony to get it out on PSN earlier. What precisely is the business reason Atlus would have to change how they do things split a release like this?

I can't pretend to know exactly how things would go down but I'd think there would be an increase of early sales amongst the more diehard because they would double dip on getting it early but still wanting to put down for the physical version.

So can anyone answer how to get the true ending? (Assuming there are multiple endings again.)

Answer in a non spoilery way as possible and put it in spoiler tags for others, but I don't want to play 100ish hours and miss it. Especially since the previous games can be really insane to get.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The Chinese text version is different from the English Region 3 version.

But functionally they are for all intents and purposes the same, like if you purchase DLCs for it than the Region 3 DLCs should work.

At least that is how everything worked with all the games with Chinese covers like that, unless Persona 5 is exotically different or something.

But functionally they are for all intents and purposes the same, like if you purchase DLCs for it than the Region 3 DLCs should work.

At least that is how everything worked with all the games with Chinese covers like that, unless Persona 5 is exotically different or something.

They're not the same. The one with the Chinese cover is a Chinese-localized version, released last week with only Traditional Chinese subtitles and Japanese voice.

The English R3 version is basically just the US version with different packaging. Like if you purchase DLCs for it then the Region 1 DLCs should work.

And it's not really "exotically different". There's quite a view exclusively Chinese-localized games over the years.

OmegaDL50

Any ps4 pro changes?

No. Persona 5 released in Japan before the PS4 Pro existed and thus there was no obligatory / mandatory PS4 Pro upgrade.

Seeing as the Western release is just a localization it somewhat falls under the same umbrella.

That doesn't mean a future update or patch can't change this of course, but that entirely depends on if Atlus Japan thinks it's worthwhile to put the effort for such an update.

It's not like 30fps was going to be an issue for this game anyways, seeing as it's a Turn Based RPG and not a twitch or fast paced action game.

TSAR

What difficulty should this be played on? I beat SMT Nocturne on its hardest difficulty, beat De/Da Souls and found those difficulties fair.

If you beat nocturne on on hard and found it easy, I'd think you should turn it all the way up for P5. Since you already know the mechanics, I think you should be fine to jump ahead. I've been into the SMT/persona franchises going way back, and nocturne was absolutely no slouch in my opinion.

But then again, and at the same time, it's my feeling that the first time you play through anything should be for the experience rather than for achievement or to max out the difficulty. There's nothing inherently wrong with having a relatively accessible experience as long as you enjoy what the game is doing (and persona games always have cool/weird/fun stories). Either way, it'll be fun.

Shouta

Did they add a harder mode to the US release? 'cause I need that for my 3rd playthrough. If not, I'll have to do my Arsene only run again, this time from scratch.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For the platinum, do I really need to do a 3rd playthrough?

Japanese voices for sure. The game is set in Japan, so why would I want to hear them speak English?

Note: I am also fluent in Japanese.

That's a pretty effing important note.

Did they add a harder mode to the US release? 'cause I need that for my 3rd playthrough. If not, I'll have to do my Arsene only run again, this time from scratch.

A harder difficulty is part of the free Day 1 DLC if I recall correctly!

Oh wait, I just remembered. It's just Hard mode but with half the XP/Yen gain.

Hmm, I might have to do that then.

Hmm. As someone who's played it already, how do you think that would affect the balance? (I'm certainly not considering starting on that difficulty, but I'm curious.)

Shouta

Hmm. As someone who's played it already, how do you think that would affect the balance? (I'm certainly not considering starting on that difficulty, but I'm curious.)

It'll mean you're underleveled unless you spend time grinding so it'll be harder as a result. It wasn't useful for me on my second run because I had tons of money and powerful persona already so it wasn't a real challenge. A fresh run without those resources would make it more meaningful.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
They're not the same. The one with the Chinese cover is a Chinese-localized version, released last week with only Traditional Chinese subtitles and Japanese voice.

The English R3 version is basically just the US version with different packaging. Like if you purchase DLCs for it then the Region 1 DLCs should work.

And it's not really "exotically different". There's quite a view exclusively Chinese-localized games over the years.

Really? I bought what I am quite positive the Chinese version of Final Fantasy XV (have many Chinese words appearing before the title screen) and the code inside only worked when I use it with my R3 account.

The same with Deus Ex Mankind Divided, The Division, etc etc. I have never experienced, not a single one time, the code included within a package with an R3 designation worked from the US PSN store, but they do work on Asian PSN Store.

That is why I wonder if for some strange reason Persona 5 is doing it different.

Oh wait, I just remembered. It's just Hard mode but with half the XP/Yen gain.

Hmm, I might have to do that then.

Do you know if there are any trophies associated with difficulty level? Because if not I'd rather play Normal.

Shouta

Really? I bought what I am quite positive the Chinese version of Final Fantasy XV (have many Chinese words appearing before the title screen) and the code inside only worked when I use it with my R3 account.

The same with Deus Ex Mankind Divided, The Division, etc etc. I have never experienced, not a single one time, the code included within a package with an R3 designation worked from the US PSN store, but they do work on Asian PSN Store.

That is why I wonder if for some strange reason Persona 5 is doing it different.

Do you know if there are any trophies associated with difficulty level? Because if not I'd rather play Normal.

I don't think so but I could be wrong.

Chinese localization efforts are really inconsistent. There are cases where they contain English text, whether bilingual (Gravity Rush 2, Final Fantasies) or just English (Mankind Divided, Project Diva F), in which case the rest of Asia would also use that version.

Then there are cases where they use Chinese text exclusively (this game, Trails, Ateliers), where the rest of Asia would usually use the US content instead. A crude method to see this is if you searched the Asian PSN for a game, and it would have separate (Chinese ver.) and (English ver.) entries for both the main games and DLCs.

Aa, but codes within package would never work cross-region. I meant that the physical English R3 game would be compatible with DLCs directly bought from US PSN.

Feep

Banned
I am extremely biased, but the English VO is on the upper end for sure. Max Mittelman and Erica Lindbeck are standouts, Cassandra Lee Morris is excellent as usual, and no one drags it down.

The dialogue and writing are maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10, but that's not on them, obviously.

Gurish

A question to GAF's MC experts around here ;) , what are the chances that this 94 is gonna hold? usually a game drops a point or two along the way, is this gonna be the same with P5 as well?

I am extremely biased, but the English VO is on the upper end for sure. Max Mittelman and Erica Lindbeck are standouts, Cassandra Lee Morris is excellent as usual, and no one drags it down.

The dialogue and writing are maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10, but that's not on them, obviously.
Yeah I feel like people are way too hard on the English VO. It's great and I feel like it's just as good as P3, P4, and P4G. Going with this for the first run, and I also loved Tales of Berseria's English Dub. Maybe people are just more tough on it, comparing it to the Japanese VO which is pretty next level. It's tough to beat Pikachu, after all.

Also I love the writing and dialogue too, even the awkward stuff!

(From my impressions of the QL by GB and trailers. Can't wait for Tuesday!)

SgtCobra

A question to GAF's MC experts around here ;) , what are the chances that this 94 is gonna hold? usually a game drops a point or two along the way, is this gonna be the same with P5 as well?
Well have I ever, some actual score talk in here? lol
Edge's 8 hasn't been counted yet for some reason, and if I remember correctly another website scored the game a 7,5 so that should bring it down by 1 point or so. Then there's Giant Bomb and Easy Allies which could stabilize the 94 if their scores are high enough.
I'm quite surprised that we still "only" have 39 scores right now, I wonder when the rest will come.

Gurish

Well have I ever, some actual score talk in here? lol
Edge's 8 hasn't been counted yet for some reason, and if I remember correctly another website scored the game a 7,5 so that should bring it down by 1 point or so. Then there's Giant Bomb and Easy Allies which could stabilize the 94 if their scores are high enough.
I'm quite surprised that we still "only" have 39 scores right now, I wonder when the rest will come.

Thx for the answer, seems by upcoming data most chances it will drop but still plenty of reviews left so who knows, pretty good chance for the 94 to be permanent as well.

Is there a canonical protagonist name like Yu Narukami for example?
Yeah I would really like to know this info too. I just don't feel comfortable having my name + Japanese honorifics, it's too weird even for a weeb like me.

Nothing as "canonical" as Yu who also has that as his name in the spin-off games. The current most "official" name for the P5 Protagonist is "Akira Kurusu" from the manga adaptation.

Top Bottom