• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

h0mebas3

If I've never played a Persona game, will I be totally lost by this? With all the hype surrounding this game, it's hard to not pick it up...

If I've never played a Persona game, will I be totally lost by this? With all the hype surrounding this game, it's hard to not pick it up...

Oh, yesss. This game really sucks in the player like no other. I think all of my play sessions ranged from 5-10 hours.

Tokyo itself is just really fun to explore. It feels big. Even getting lost finding the next train at the crowded subway stations is a joy.

Don't even get me started on the dungeons...

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Don't think so. Game is over tutorialized(like to the point where it was really annoying on my second playthrough) and if you ever feel the need to get deep into fusions just ask on gaf or visit any of the 100 guides that probably exist on it. So I don't think anyone will have any problems learning the ropes for the game.

OmegaDL50

By coincidence, the fiscal accounting year for most companies ends with March.

A lot of high profile games this month are technically part of 2016's reporting, and Persona comes out right when the 2017 forecast starts.

Not saying that's a definitive reason which was never explicitly stated, but hmm.

April 4th is the first Tuesday of the next fiscal year. The delay was just a business decision, it's pretty obvious.

That's understandable I suppose.

I'm just anxious to play this game and the reviews seem to make the wait seem so worth it. It's just unreal to think that it's only 5 days until the 4th and I can finally play it.

LousyTactician

Neo Member
OK i'm in Makoto's team

aTxasrg.gif

I have found my people.

I'm of course going to wait until I play the game before jumping to conclusions on how much I like each character.

h0mebas3

Oh, yesss. This game really sucks in the player like no other. I think all of my play sessions ranged from 5-10 hours.

Tokyo itself is just really fun to explore. It feels big. Even getting lost finding the next train at the crowded subway stations is a joy.

Don't even get me started on the dungeons...

This is one of the things that really looks fantastic, exploring the open world of Tokyo. Is it as big as it looks?

Thanks to everyone for helping me make my decision, I'm going to pick it up.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of the things that really looks fantastic, exploring the open world of Tokyo. Is it as big as it looks?

It's not open world and it's also not very big. It still manages to emulate the Tokyo feeling without all of that at least that's what people say that have been there or lived there.
When it released in Japan it would often come up in podcast talks with people how eerily familiar everything in the game was.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Something I've been meaning to ask.

Wasn't the one of the main reasons the game was delayed from the initial February 14th release date to April 4th was because the inclusion of Japanese VA?

And yet, said Japanese VA isn't included on the disc and is for all intents and purposes a downloadable update later on?

So then what would have been so different to have this game release back in February to have a Japanese VA update in April. Wouldn't that have effectively did the same thing and not have the need for a delay in the first place?

Unless it was delayed for another reason entirely. I'm just trying to understand if they were releasing the product on the hold up of Japan VA being included in the English release yet it still being an a day one update, then what difference would it have made if they just simply released the Japanese VA as a free DLC instead?

They probably delayed it due to how packed early February was. Releasing alongside For Honor (different target market and all) would not have been a good idea since thats like the second bestselling game of the year.

Now it gets April to itself.

It's more a series of alleyways or singular areas, and then menu-driven locations to warp to.

But the even with limited square footage, the immersion factor is absolutely on point.

Jachaos

The locations in these games are usually not huge but they're immersive like no other and incredibly detailed. A lot of fun to wander around, explore, and take in the charm and character of the world.

Jachaos

Does this game have English with Japanese subtitles or what?

There's both English and Japanese voice acting available (the latter is a free DLC that comes out the same day the game does). There's also English subtitles obviously, but I don't know if they included Japanese subtitles.

can anyone mention (in spoiler tags if need be) how long the tutorial is? Is it as long as P4's? Am I going to spend half of my first session with this game unable to play it?

can anyone mention (in spoiler tags if need be) how long the tutorial is? Is it as long as P4's? Am I going to spend half of my first session with this game unable to play it?
Definitely shorter, but still beefy. On a weeknight, expect to hit a couple demons but not dive properly into the dungeon.

jonjonaug

One day, they gonna have to address this long ass intro in Persona games

One of my favorite things about Nocturne is "you walk around for 15 minutes then the world fucking ends". I wonder how a Persona game could do something similar? Just throwing the player right into the deep end.

Guess Who

Banned
One day, they gonna have to address this long ass intro in Persona games

One of my favorite things about Nocturne is "you walk around for 15 minutes then the world fucking ends". I wonder how a Persona game could do something similar? Just throwing the player right into the deep end.

It's hard to talk about the main way P5 tries to address this without spoiling a really cool thing about the opening that I think a lot of people would appreciate going into blind.

It's hard to talk about the main way P5 tries to address this without spoiling a really cool thing about the opening that I think a lot of people would appreciate going into blind.
This.

Though it takes a while to start the proper dungeon crawl, they are very well aware of the criticism.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions throws you into a dungeon fairly quickly after the game starts.

kennyamr

So are the ppl here gonna play it in english or with the original japanese voices?
I've been thinking about this for the past few days.

I THINK I will go with the Japanese voices BUT I will give English a chance... maybe.

I don't know, really. But if the English version sounds anything close to weird, I'll switch to the Japanese version instead.

The delay was stupid and is made even more frustrating by the stock being shipped out so early and street dates being broken leading to those waiting for the 4th holding on for literally 0 reason.

I don't think you understand how shipment of physical goods, management of retail space and stock keeping work. If stores break street it's not a sign that a publisher held back a title for no reason. It's not on Atlus.

Sorian

Banned
I don't think you understand how shipment of physical goods, management of retail space and stock keeping work. If stores break street it's not a sign that a publisher held back a title for no reason. It's not on Atlus.

In the digital age we live in, it's ridiculous that things like this happen while the game is 100% ready to go and the flood gates are seemingly open. We can talk about physical goods all day and sure, whatever, have a physical release date of the 4th (ignoring the case that this title was clearly ready much earlier than than that date) but digital has no excuse.

In the digital age we live in, it's ridiculous that things like this happen while the game is 100% ready to go and the flood gates are seemingly open. We can talk about physical goods all day and sure, whatever, have a physical release date of the 4th (ignoring the case that this title was clearly ready much earlier than than that date) but digital has no excuse.
I think the whole point is that sales need to be in the new fiscal quarter of 2017 on the very first Tuesday, and then staggering the physical and digital release of a game would probably be met with sheer anger and further convolute the marketing.

Stores breaking street dates (in the NYC area at least) are rare but not unheard of. This just happens to be an extremely high profile game and this is slightly earlier than usual.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious once we started hearing that reviewers had copies of the game as far back as February that this game has pretty much been all set and done, so localisation wasn't what was holding it back. The April delay was a business decision. I would have liked it if Atlus were actually honest and admitted so in that livestream they had in November? December? last year instead of feeding us this line about "optimizing the localisation".

I'm gonna be forever irked about the seven month gap between Japan and NA releases and now that some stores were breaking the release date 2 weeks early. Can't help but feel the whole release of this game has been fumbled in the West.

N30RYU

Gold Member
Main characters are Japanese, setting in Tokyo, obviously I'll play in JP voice when it become available
That's what I'm also thinking... A japanese voices tracks are more fitting to a Tokyo set...

Also most of the time we'll be reading since not every dialog have voices.

Some publishers have tried to innovate here like EA and Ubisoft but they also have the luxury of owning the distribution platforms and are also defining the terms by which such access is granted to make it more favorable to them (read: the collection of that sweet SAAS monthly revenue). I'm not going to ask Atlus to risk its relationship with its current network of retailers, none of whom would be all that happy if they signed a contract to release a game in time for a set deadline while Atlus signs a separate, more favorable deal with Sony to get it out on PSN earlier. What precisely is the business reason Atlus would have to change how they do things split a release like this?

Top Bottom