• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Strikers |OT| Ware wa nanji… nanji wa ware…

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I bought Persona 5, never got around to it and then bought Persona 5 Royal which I also never touched

Cue the thread for no new games in 2021...
go play Royal. it's such an amazing game. #3 rated game of all time on PS4 according to metacritic. behind only GTA V/RDR2. I know not everyone can stomach the anime look (it put me off for a long time) but once you get used to that then you'll have a blast. the first <10 hours can feel a bit of a slog to some (didn't bother me at all) but the game is just settling you in. it's a 103 hour game (according to How Long To Beat) so once you get past that you're gonna be having fun.

Sane people would realise it's not about a minor change but the precedent it sets, what will bring in the future and the dangers of this slippery slope.
if they set a precedent then why were all the other things not changed? do people not have a problem with the male characters acting creepy towards the female ones? what about adults being able to date high school students? nah all that gets a pass apparently. why aren't people upset about that? they have to go make a fuss about a minor scene that had a bit of text changed.

Last edited:
Can ya'all stop talking about p5r's censorship? It's already been discussed to death, make a new topic but move the fuck on already. It has nothing to do with this game, nor will that scene impact Strikers. They're a bunch of idiots for doing it but the game was still amazing. Fucking hell. Anyway, I still have not decided to get this or not. For those that have played can I find any challenge in it? I don't want it to be stupid easy as its usually with the genre.

bigedole

For reals, I really want to hear more people's takes on this game. I've never played a Musou of any sort, but I love the Persona/SMT games. I'm an old man with shitty reactions who typically avoids hardcore action games. Someone advise me if this game is for me or not!

Bought it today for PC. Can't wait to dive in once I'm able to play on my PC again.

For those that are already playing it: how are the difficulty and the music?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Bought it today for PC. Can't wait to dive in once I'm able to play on my PC again.

For those that are already playing it: how are the difficulty and the music?

I started it last night on PS5 and played about an hour. So far the music is fantastic as expected! Some new tunes and some from P5 also. Im playing on the default "normal" difficulty and so far it's been just right. Combat feels very good so far!

Last edited:

bigedole

I took the plunge. I'm not very good at this game yet, at the save point right before the boss of the first Jail I believe. I didn't really figure out what I was doing in combat until recently, so hopefully I will get better lol. Everything definitely feels like a Persona 5 sequel-lite, I'm liking the new character so far
and I didn't fail to pick up on his own "Akechi" moment in the first scene he has with the gang in the cafe, but I'm really hoping he doesn't end up as a bad guy since that'd be pretty lazy writing.

I've only spent a few hours with the game but I would definitely recommend to fans of P5, especially if you have some kind of penchant for ARPGs.

John Day

Bought it anyways on Switch to play while at work. It’s Persona alright 🤣🤣🤣. Good vibes and music as always. Performance-wise, it plays fine, although frames dip with the hectic combat (playing handheld, gotta test on the dock). Love using the persona skills on the fly.

I can only imagine what if Platinum made this 🤤.

Yamisan

Bought it anyways on Switch to play while at work. It’s Persona alright 🤣🤣🤣. Good vibes and music as always. Performance-wise, it plays fine, although frames dip with the hectic combat (playing handheld, gotta test on the dock). Love using the persona skills on the fly.

I can only imagine what if Platinum made this 🤤.
After the horrible Astral Chain I'm glad Platinum has nothing to do with this.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does this game have anything like the hidden 3rd semester in Royal where you can miss it if you don't make some optional choices? I'm still a little salty about missing that ending...

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Does this game have anything like the hidden 3rd semester in Royal where you can miss it if you don't make some optional choices? I'm still a little salty about missing that ending...
Nah it’s a more linear game. You don’t need to worry about making choices to get a certain ending. Just play and have fun. We all get the same ending.

Hmm haven’t played it, but i’ve read otherwise from people. Thought people liked it?
I’ve played it and it’s a good game I quite enjoyed it. Loved the combat in it. Honestly can’t think of anything that I didn’t like about it. Very reminiscent of Nier Automata in some ways. I recommend giving it a shot especially if you liked Automata.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I’ve been playing this game for about 10 hours now and I’m in the second area. The second “prison” is a lot like the first which is a bit disappointing. The new music isn’t of the same caliber as other Megaten games either.
I’m still having fun with it though. It’s great to interact with the characters from P5 more. I do wish this was a sequel to Royal instead of vanilla however.

bigedole

Alright, I'm near the end of the second jail now with somewhere between 10 and 15 hours in the game and the combat has clicked for me. I've used Yusuke, Sophia, Haru and Makoto enough to get all their master arts, they all play very differently and feel good in their own ways. I will say, some characters feel a lot better right out of the box (Yusuke) while some feel pretty meh (Sophia and Haru for me), but after I got all of the master arts for Sophia and Haru it was pretty fun and actually felt pretty strong. The combat is pretty fun, and I really like that persona skill use is so powerful which helps to steer players away from just playing this like a musou. It's really not a musou, just kind of looks like one because you can have dozens of enemies on the screen at once. The ability to hop out of the jail and right back in from any checkpoint without advancing time is refreshing and does a lot to relieve the feeling of SP scarcity from traditional persona games. You can really give it all you've got for almost every fight if you want to, checkpoint placement feels pretty generous so far through two dungeons.

Graciaus

After playing the first jail it would be much better if SP recovered over time just by hitting enemies. Checkpoints should just restore your HP/SP without having to waste time leaving/coming back.

I know my PC isn't the best but I would get random massive frame drops during/after cutscenes I had to lower some stuff.

Dream-Knife

Banned
After playing the first jail it would be much better if SP recovered over time just by hitting enemies. Checkpoints should just restore your HP/SP without having to waste time leaving/coming back.

I know my PC isn't the best but I would get random massive frame drops during/after cutscenes I had to lower some stuff.
Is it me, or are the cutscenes a lower frame rate? They feel stuttery, but they’re not pushing my PC at all.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is it me, or are the cutscenes a lower frame rate? They feel stuttery, but they’re not pushing my PC at all.

cutscenes are obviously pre rendered so it's basically just like watching a video and they will be at something like 24-30fps so yeah it's gonna be jarring if you're playing at 60fps then cutscenes are half the framerate.

or do you mean when there is dialogue and there are 3d characters on screen in a scene?

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
cutscenes are obviously pre rendered so it's basically just like watching a video and they will be at something like 24-30fps so yeah it's gonna be jarring if you're playing at 60fps then cutscenes are half the framerate.

or do you mean when there is dialogue and there are 3d characters on screen in a scene?
No just the pretendered cutscenes.

I always thought I couldn’t tell the difference between 30 and 60, but that is very noticeable.

Yamisan

It was so short ;( Going into the final jail now at only 38 hours. That 38 hours includes a lot of time wasted doing optional requests, the missasle requests in town for a trophy and just leaving the game running while I eat meals irl.

bigedole

Hmm, like I said I'm already close to 15 hours near the end of the 2nd jail, do the rest of the jails just play a lot quicker since there's no need to introduce more mechanics?

I also super agree that checkpoints should just restore hp/sp rather than requiring people to leave and come back in, though maybe that's tied to monster respawn for balance, dunno.

Yamisan

Hmm, like I said I'm already close to 15 hours near the end of the 2nd jail, do the rest of the jails just play a lot quicker since there's no need to introduce more mechanics?

I also super agree that checkpoints should just restore hp/sp rather than requiring people to leave and come back in, though maybe that's tied to monster respawn for balance, dunno.
They get shorter and short, some are just a boss fight and thats all.

bigedole

They get shorter and short, some are just a boss fight and thats all.

That's a bummer, I wasn't expecting P5 style length, but the game does heavily cut down on the busy work, much greater percentage of time spent in the dungeons without social links/stats to worry about. Have you liked the story so far?

Yamisan

That's a bummer, I wasn't expecting P5 style length, but the game does heavily cut down on the busy work, much greater percentage of time spent in the dungeons without social links/stats to worry about. Have you liked the story so far?
It was decent enough for its length. Can't really say much without big spoilers. I really enjoyed the gameplay but it was way too easy on normal, can't wait for NG+

Life

I literally played this for about 30 seconds and got bored. Hordes of enemies just walking into my attacks. No thanks.

bigedole

I literally played this for about 30 seconds and got bored. Hordes of enemies just walking into my attacks. No thanks.

I mean, the beginning isn't meant to be challenging. If you're good at these games, Hard will definitely be a challenge. If you already own it, try it up to the last boss of the first dungeon.

bigedole

Well, I just finished the game. Overall took me 43 hours which was basically doing all the requests and spending a while dicking around with fusion, but pretty much no downtime/sitting idle. I have about 10-15 hours of grinding left to finish the platinum still. I really enjoyed the game, it truly felt like a Persona 5 sequel. Got a little teary at a couple of the moments, and I especially enjoyed
Sophie's persona awakening, actually felt better than most of the cast's from the original game.

Still recommend this as a buy to any fans of Persona 5, the combat held up for me pretty well. I think if someone were trying to go through the game at a brisk pace it could probably be done quite a bit faster than I did, so maybe wait for a sale if the $60 price tag is not palatable.

Aurelius

Just finished Persona 5 Royale, and looking forward to more Phantom Thieves adventures.

I have a PS4 Pro. Should I wait to play in on PS5 in bc, or is the performance fine on PS4? It should be since it runs on the Switch.

Last edited:

bigedole

Just finished Persona 5 Royale, and looking forward to more Phantom Thieves adventures.

I have a PS4 Pro. Should I wait to play in on PS5 in bc, or is the performance fine on PS4? It should be since it runs on the Switch.
Performance is absolutely fine a PS4 Pro. No reason to wait imo.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Persona 5 Royal is one of my favorite games but I just couldn't get into this one. I dunno if it was the gameplay or what but I ended up refunding this one. It just didn't interest me nearly as much as the original. I'm looking forward to seeing if any other P5 games get made though, and hopefully including the Royal characters this time.
Plus there was the technical issues... I had to switch the game to a beta branch in order to get it to even launch (on PC).

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Persona 5 Royal is one of my favorite games but I just couldn't get into this one. I dunno if it was the gameplay or what but I ended up refunding this one. It just didn't interest me nearly as much as the original. I'm looking forward to seeing if any other P5 games get made though, and hopefully including the Royal characters this time.
Same here. I have three hours of playtime and kind of lost interest. The combat hasn’t really grabbed me, there are a billion tutorials popping up and the story doesn’t really feel needed. Characters, music and graphics are still good though. I will probably pop it back in and give it a few more hours later on to see if it maybe grabs me.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After listening to the soundtrack I have to say they did a great job again on this one. Once it gets a price drop and they fix the technical issues on PC, I may give this one a second try.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Start NG+ on Merciless, get killed in intro battle by two Pixies hitting me with Zio. This isn't fucking about huh?

I'm going to stick with it, for the first dungeon at least. My standard approach for bosses/dire shadows was to ceaselessly smack them with whatever magic they were weak to and shovel curry down everyone's throats - not going to be able to do that for the first dungeon as cooking isn't available. With incense being a fairly common drop on this difficulty the idea of getting a full team of absolute monsters together while maxing all bond skills/finishing off the compendium has an appeal.

Last edited:

bigedole

Start NG+ on Merciless, get killed in intro battle by two Pixies hitting me with Zio. This isn't fucking about huh?

I'm going to stick with it, for the first dungeon at least. My standard approach for bosses/dire shadows was to ceaselessly smack them with whatever magic they were weak to and shovel curry down everyone's throats - not going to be able to do that for the first dungeon as cooking isn't available. With incense being a fairly common drop on this difficulty the idea of getting a full team of absolute monsters together while maxing all bond skills/finishing off the compendium has an appeal.
You basically want 3 personas to completely trivialize merciless: Something (Black Frost is a good choice) with wide area fear/brainwash, brainwash/fear boost and ailment boost + soul thief. Lucifer with ice boost, ice amp, spell master, freeze boost, ailment boost ice age. Yoshitsune with technical/crit boosting passives + hassou tobi. I also put attack/speed master on him. Then fill out the rest of the slots with random high damage personas for the different elements like Thor, but really it's only for the very rare persona/boss that is immune to both ailments + cold. The first 3 will take care of 95% of the game for you.

MudoSkills

I hadn't really used ailments at all in my playthrough, I always forget how exploitable they tend to be.

bigedole

I hadn't really used ailments at all in my playthrough, I always forget how exploitable they tend to be.
Yes, they completely trivialize all of the large # trash encounters. The persona's won't attack when they're afflicted by fear, brainwash or charm, and with the right boost + ailment boost they pretty much always land. You can also just spam it to recover SP after doing ice age spam on Lucifer too. It also sets them up for some high damage nukes/physicals with the right bond levels and passive skills, but that's just overkill at this point.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm thinking about giving this another try now that several patches have been released so hopefully the game wouldn't be as buggy by now. Is the gameplay easy enough to get into and just play through the story if you're not used to Musuo games?

bigedole

I'm thinking about giving this another try now that several patches have been released so hopefully the game wouldn't be as buggy by now. Is the gameplay easy enough to get into and just play through the story if you're not used to Musuo games?
If you play on easy, it's very easy. If you play on normal, you'll need to make an effort to exploit weaknesses and recognize things that need to be dodged. I had never played a musuo game before this and I started on easy until I figured things out, had a really good time with it.

AmuroChan

I beat the game this week and was genuinely surprised by how much fun I had. This is much more of a proper P5 sequel than it is a Musou spinoff. The latter was what I was expecting going into the game and I'm glad that I was wrong. The switch from turn-based combat to action combat also didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. The story was good and I liked the new characters. Overall I thought the game was a great 8.5/10.

BouncyFrag

The game is on sale for $42 on the Switch eshop.

Question. This or the SMT Nocturne remaster coming out soon?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
With this being on sale now on Steam, I'm rebuying this and giving it a second go. Looking forward to hanging out with the Phantom Thieves again!

edit: I'm glad I decided to give this another chance, I'm really enjoying it

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just posting again to say I finished this and I'm really glad I gave it another chance. Now I want Persona 5-3! The new characters and music was awesome, and I found myself smiling and laughing many times throughout the game. The Phantom Thieves are definitely one of the best game casts out there.

The gameplay system is ok but I really preferred the turn-based gameplay of P5R. Once I got to the 3rd monarch I turned it down from normal to easy. Still very fun but it felt like bosses on normal had far too much HP and too little on easy. But oh well, still had a great time.
Also, the funniest moment in the game was probably when they were sending the calling cards via blimp and Skull messed up his line by saying "we're baking them" instead of "we're taking them" and then Futaba was like "YOU HAD ONE LINE!" lol

Last edited:

drganon

Just beat the main story. Dont know if I'll get the platinum for it,but I'll give it a shot. Not to spoil anything, but I enjoyed the story. It was really cool to hang out with these characters again.

MudoSkills

I got the plat recently just by doing a 2nd playthrough on Merciless - probably took longer but a damn sight more interesting than grinding the same battle again and again.

I got the bond level trophy about half way through
Osaka

Top Bottom