• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Trailer 2

Kolx

It's worth your time. Check out Persona 4 Golden or Persona 3 Portable. Other versions are also fine.

Fortunately we can just import it.

Why would people import it? Unless you know Japanese language how can you understand the story? Because I don't think Japan version comes with the translation or does it? I never tried to import a game from Japan so Idk how would that work for people.

nooooo, why did i watch this. i cant get hyped. it will release in 2089 :(

damn you atlus and you're library of amazing games that Europe has to to wait years for

muteki

I have to wonder what the amount of new info included in the trailer means in regards to development progress.

I'd rather not worry about it though.

Zalman

Are those the only characters? Seems peculiar that they didn't show anyone new.
There's no way these are the only ones. I get the impression they're only showing us the earliest parts of the game before more characters are introduced.

sensui-tomo

Why would people import it? Unless you know Japanese language how can you understand the story? Because I don't think Japan version comes with the translation or does it? I never tried to import a game from Japan so Idk how would that work for people.

no, usually they dont come with english subtitles, the odd cases being an english sub of a japanese title in Asia(few games have done this actually and its great when its a title with no chance in hell coming over here) So people importing either A) want it just for gameplay. B)actually know how to read japanese and go with the flow. C) Super duper impatient

People from europe would import it because it wont come out till FF7/ff15/kh3 comes out for them.

SMT4 is probably the worst offender. I'm never going to buy this game even though I really wanted to play it.

There must be some really interesting story behind the game's (non-)release that we'll sadly never get to hear. I can't believe it wasn't simply published through NISA like everything else.

convo

People thinking the music consists of only instrumentals, because of only two promotional videos with music in them are goddamn lunatics. Gaf plz.
I am looking forward for the actual music reveal thread.
So is blue guy from a different school? His shirt colour and emblem seem different.

Jisgsaw

Yes, many would reply to this "But Atlus doesn't have an European branch" but I think they should have, or at least have Sega Europe involved.

NIS seems to be doing fine getting its stuff over here, without any European branch...
No, Atlus just doesn't want to even think about PAL regions, that's all. Else they'd have make a partnership with a PAL publisher long ago instead of always shuffling them around for each release.

NIS seems to be doing fine getting its stuff over here, without any European branch...
No, Atlus just doesn't want to even think about PAL regions, that's all. Else they'd have make a partnership with a PAL publisher long ago instead of always shuffling them around for each release.

NISA has a European branch. That's who is distributing all the Atlus games here.

Thank you.

There is absolutely NO REASON why Atlus hasn't found a publisher to get their games out to European fans. If I was a European Atlus fan, I'd be livid. If people are willing to bitch about the smallest things here on GAF and out elsewhere...why not this fact? What makes Atlus immune to criticism of this horrible marketing to their EU fans?

FluxWaveZ

If that's all they can show this is definitely going to get delayed.

This is a leak of a trailer included as a bonus disc with first-print copies of a PlayStation Vita exclusive spin-off rhythm game.

Aside from that, Atlus has an obviously "special" way of marketing, so it's not indicative. I like not seeing a whole lot about the game, too.

wrowa

There must be some really interesting story behind the game's (non-)release that we'll sadly never get to hear. I can't believe it wasn't simply published through NISA like everything else.

It's likely just a publishing deal that fell through and when it happened it was just too late for a publisher like NISA to still pick it up viably. Stuff like that just happens. I don't think there's necessarily an interesting story behind it.

Anyway, I'm optimistic that all involved parties are aware that Persona 5 needs to be released in Europe as quicky as possible. Except if whoever is publishing it in Europe thinks that a translation into EFIGS is viable - in that case we are likely relatively fucked.

Jisgsaw

Well, you can more or less piece it together:
Nintendo of Europe probably sarted localizing the game. Then the layoffs of june 2014 occured, and they had to drop it.
I'd guess most other publisher didn't want a year old game, so Atlus stepped in to publish it themselves, and like for Arena, didn't manage/bothered to make a PAL build in decent time.

NISA has a European branch. That's who is distributing all the Atlus games here.

I was under the impression they didn't, but did everything through NIS America.
But even if that were true, as I said, why not make ONE stable relationship with a PAL publisher?
I mean by now, I'm pretty sure the problem is in Atlus Japan that doesn't bother to produce PAL builds in decent time.

Thank you.

There is absolutely NO REASON why Atlus hasn't found a publisher to get their games out to European fans. If I was a European Atlus fan, I'd be livid. If people are willing to bitch about the smallest things here on GAF and out elsewhere...why not this fact? What makes Atlus immune to criticism of this horrible marketing to their EU fans?

EVERYONE is criticising them, even in this thread. It's just the Europe as a whole, due to language differences or whatever has a much quiter voice on the internet.
And they do have a partner in Europe, NISA.

It seems pretty edgy. I hope it still has a really healthy "fun" side to it during the school parts.

Going by past Persona games, I'm sure it will. I just hope they don't go too far in the opposite direction of P4 and make it too humorless.

Lunar15

People thinking the music consists of only instrumentals, because of only two promotional videos with music in them are goddamn lunatics. Gaf plz.
I am looking forward for the actual music reveal thread.
So is blue guy from a different school? His shirt colour and emblem seem different.

I'm thinking he's the "rival", as every good Picaresque hero must have one.

It seems pretty edgy. I hope it still has a really healthy "fun" side to it during the school parts.

Going by past Persona games, I'm sure it will. I just hope they don't go too far in the opposite direction of P4 and make it too humorless.

Can't get much edgier than kids shooting themselves in the head and dead bodies on telephone poles.

If anything, I'd say this looks like the zaniest one yet.

Kolx

Importing the NA version. We're talking about Europe.

Oh ok thought you were talking about the game release date for Japan because of the post you replied to. It's clear now :p

no, usually they dont come with english subtitles, the odd cases being an english sub of a japanese title in Asia(few games have done this actually and its great when its a title with no chance in hell coming over here) So people importing either A) want it just for gameplay. B)actually know how to read japanese and go with the flow. C) Super duper impatient

People from europe would import it because it wont come out till FF7/ff15/kh3 comes out for them.

So why would Atlus usually delay the european release? is it because of their european dev not working as they're supposed to? because sales can't be a reason since Europe is a big market.

convo

Thank you.

They aren't, they get shit constantly and at least the people engaging the social media should have heard a lot of it. How persona 5 is gonna turn out for us Europeans nobody knows the answer to. At least so far ,the people in command of atlus releases in europe were a complete shit show and no one has hunted those people down and got them fired. Someone knows i am sure of it.

It sure looks darker than P4, but absolutely nothing about this game's style says "humorless." I wouldn't worry.

So why would Atlus usually delay the european release? is it because of their european dev not working hard? because sales can't be a reason since Europe is a big market.

There simply is no "Atlus Europe". The games have to be published through someone else.
Also, sine most niche JRPGs are released in english only the market isn't as big as it could be, and localizing often isn't worth it. There really is no ideal solution, sadly.
I was under the impression they didn't, but did everything through NIS America.
But even if that were true, as I said, why not make ONE stable relationship with a PAL publisher?
I mean by now, I'm pretty sure the problem is in Atlus Japan that doesn't bother to produce PAL builds in decent time.

I'm honestly not sure, but they have a way to produce and distribute games in EU and I doubt that's something anyone can do, so they at least have some kind of setup in place that other's don't.

Jisgsaw

I think that was a rumour.
They published what, one Atlus game in three years?

If that were true, I wouldn't be moaning; the problem is that they absolutely don't seem to have a PAL partner, but just start looking for one after the US version was released. Hence the delays.

I'm honestly not sure, but they have a way to produce and distribute games in EU and I doubt that's something anyone can do, so they at least have some kind of setup in place that other's don't.

Exactly.
Considering they are quite comparable to Atlus (I'd even say smaller), car to explain why they can mange it, but Atlus doesn't?

Caronte

Just look at what she's wearing. They are not going back to serious games.

kiyoaki

EVERYONE is criticising them, even in this thread. It's just the Europe as a whole, due to language differences or whatever has a much quiter voice on the internet.
I think a lot of European fans have already resigned themselves to the fact that they're something like the afterthought to an afterthought to Atlus. And for a PS3/4 game, region-locking (likely) won't be an issue, so a lot of people will import the first chance they get and not even wait for an EU release. It's really quite common among fans of Japanese niche games, anime, etc. where I live.

Which of course will drive down EU sales and relegate Europe even further down on Atlus's priority list in the long run.

I think that was a rumour.
They published what, one Atlus game in three years?

If that were true, I wouldn't be moaning; the problem is that they absolutely don't seem to have a PAL partner, but just start looking for one after the US version was released. Hence the delays.

Exactly.
Considering they are quite comparable to Atlus (I'd even say smaller), car to explain why they can mange it, but Atlus doesn't?

NISA is releasing all Etrian games here, Lost Dimension, Dungeon Travelers 2, all the SMT spinoffs. Basically all Atlus games, actually.

And Atlus probably doesn't have the same setup that NISA does because they can just use NISA's. They probably don't see investing in their own as worthwhile.
I think a lot of European fans have already resigned themselves to the fact that they're something like the afterthought to an afterthought to Atlus. And for a PS3/4 game, region-locking (likely) won't be an issue, so a lot of people will import the first chance they get and never wait for en EU release. It's really quite common among fans of Japanese niche games, anime, etc. where I live.

Which of course will drive down EU sales and relegate Europe even further down on Atlus's priority list in the long run.
That's exactly the vicious cycle I was talking about, and only a direct action from publishers can break it. Many are getting much better at it, but Atlus sadly is not.

Darksol

The teacher threw chalk at the dude's head :) I'm sure there will be plenty of less serious moments.

artsi

I don't mean they need to have a physical office in Europe, they could be technically part of Atlus USA.
But they need some team / organization dedicated to the European market, even if it meant just arranging deals with local publishers.

Just that stuff happens on time, not a year later, how it technically happens doesn't really matter.

Kolx

There simply is no "Atlus Europe". The games have to be published through someone else.
Also, sine most niche JRPGs are released in english only the market isn't as big as it could be, and localizing often isn't worth it. There really is no ideal solution, sadly.

but what the UK? is it a a small market that they won't even care about it? at the end releasing it later seems like a stupid choice for any publisher since the game fanbase is not that huge and most of them would have already imported it from NA by the time the game releases in Europe so no that much sales to get unless you publish it at the time as NA.

If that's all they can show this is definitely going to get delayed.

I think it's more a case of "are willing to show" rather than "can show." I'm still not really worried about them missing 2015. This just seems like a really weird marketing strategy, not a case of them not knowing when they'll be able to put out the game.

TrutaS

The gameplay bits are too brief and too repeated from the previous trailer. Other than that, looks pretty cool. Love the anime cinematics.

convo

They could sacrifice Sega employers to gain at least some person who cares about bringing those games over. There could be deals in place that haven't expired that make this nightmare continue. For all that's worth it we could add Persona 5 to the buildingthelist hashtag to make something happen faster.

Jisgsaw

NISA is releasing all Etrian games here, Lost Dimension, Dungeon Travelers 2, all the SMT spinoffs. Basically all Atlus games, actually.

And Atlus probably doesn't have the same setup that NISA does because they can just use NISA's. They probably don't see investing in their own as worthwhile.

I don't follow EO.
But the last four SMT games that came out in Europe (SMT4, Devil Survivor 2, P4Arena:U, P4G) were published by Atlus, Ghostlight, Sega and indeed NISA. NISA didn't really step in as official SMT publisher, but they may have for all other Atlus franchise. Which doesn't bring me much.

Choomp

Banned
Looks great. Glad that we're not seeing too much more stuff, or seeing any characters/more of the story, pretty excited going into the game without too much knowledge. Also that voice actor was ace

I don't follow EO.
But the last four SMT games that came out in Europe (SMT4, Devil Survivor 2, P4Arena:U, P4G) were published by Atlus, Ghostlight, Sega and indeed NISA. NISA didn't really step in as official SMT publisher, but they may have for all other Atlus franchise. Which doesn't bring me much.

It's the majority of titles, anyway. I'm not saying they are officially partnered or anything, just that they most likely have a good working relationship or publishing deal in place.

Setsu00

I'd really like to hear Atlus Japan's reasoning for not caring more about their Western audience, at least as far as SMT is concerned.

Top Bottom