• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Voted Best RPG of All Time by Famitsu Readers; NieR: Automata Places 4th

AXE

All-time?

tumblr_ojp3b5dkIF1to34e6o1_500.gif

On a more serious note I think it is the passage of time showing here. Folks active in the gaming medias nowadays are younger and don't know such titles as Chrono Trigger and FFVI. Simply because they weren't there. Adventurers of those yonder days I suppose have something else going on nowadays that distracts them from gaming - or taking part in such votes.

Nier: Automata is easily my RPG of the generation and I don't even think Persona 5 is the best Persona game.

What even is this Final Fantasy ranking of theirs tho. Why.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Witcher 3:

A man in his 30s commented, “The story density is deep, and I want to forever get immersed into the world setting,” while a woman in her 20s said, “It is being created well, and I can feel the fixations of the developers.” Another fan also said, “Your own decisions will get reflected properly in the game, so you can really feel like actually being in that world.”

Final Fantasy VIII:

A man in his 30s said, “It’s full of elements that tickle your chuunibyou heart with settings like a Witch’s Knight and the Gunblade,” and a woman in her 30s is “moved by the magnificent story about love.” Other fans also said things like “I’ve witnessed the best human drama in the series” and “It has a lot of replay value that I got addicted to it and forgot about time.”

Final Fantasy IX:

A woman in her 40s commented, “The peaceful scenery is so beautiful that I got immersed with feelings of nostalgia,” while a teen boy wrote, “The visuals that look like a picture book, as well as the world settings, are the best.” Other fans also wrote that “The world setting is good with a warm atmosphere where [characters of] various races live there” and “Each mini-game is created thoroughly that I got unconsciously enthusiastic with them.”

Earthbound:

A 30s man reminisced that, “Although I liked the weird world setting when I was a child, I finally understood its depth after growing up into an adult.” A 30s woman also liked it for having a “very good sense.” Other fans also “Like the unique conversations” and “Gradually cried at both the story and music.”

Final Fantasy VI:

A man in his 30s “never forgets the surprise when seeing the Magic Armor for the first time,” and a woman in her 40s wrote that “The music, and especially the ending theme is the best.” Other fans were “surprised at the Magic Train” and “saved just before the Opera scene to watch it multiple times.”

Dragon Quest IV:

A 40s man said that “Having the protagonist change in each chapter was so fresh at that time,” and a 30s woman hopes that “everyone doesn't hate Kyril and his Thwack spell.” Another voter wrote that “There are stories for not only party characters but also enemies, and I cried at the story development where they crossed with each other.”

Persona 4: Golden:

A 20s man has “played it for over 300 hours,” and a 30s woman “will never forget the sub characters growing up and changing [personalities] when communicated with.” Another user also claims to be “able to fully enjoy the school life.”

Xenogears:

A man in his 20s “wants to see a remake on the most recent consoles,” and another in his 30s noted that “Collecting all the scattered plot lines makes it truly a masterpiece.” Another fan even “still hasn’t seen any game that surpasses this.”

Final Fantasy X:

A teen boy wrote, “There are no other titles where I have cried this much,” and a 20s man said, “The battle balancing is just right, so I could purely enjoy just the story.” Other users also wrote things like, “I couldn’t stop crying on Yuna’s final quote” and “This title has become the most resounding one in my heart during my youth ages.”

Xenoblade Chronicles:

A man in his 20s “actually felt like doing an adventure,” and another man of the same generation thinks that “the real challenge of this game is after the play time has been maxed out.” Other voters “had fun adventuring in the vast world” and “have no complaints at all.”

Final Fantasy XV:

A man in his 30s “had much fun in traveling with friends,” and a 30s woman wrote, “I’m glad I continued believing while waiting ever since the initial announcement 10 years ago [when the game was revealed as Versus XIII].” A 20s man said, “I cried every time I looked back to my adventure by looking at photos taken by Prompto,” and a woman in the same generation wrote, “There is no other game that gives so much affection to characters like this.”

A teen boy “wants to eat Cup Noodles” thanks to the bizarre collaboration commercials, while another man in the 20s said that, “The speedy battles are very exhilarating.”

Persona 3:

A woman in her 20s “will never forget the one year spent with friends and townsfolk, no matter how many years have passed from it.” Another said, “The BGMs with vocals are the best, and were so fresh at that time.” A 30s woman felt "realistic relationships with the characters," and a 20s man has "played so much that I don't know how many playthroughs I've done." A man in the 30s also noted that "The PSP version added the protagonist gender selection, so the game volume is also raised!"

NieR: Replicant:

Men in their 20s wrote, "7 years have passed since its release. I still haven't met a game that has a story more shocking than this" and "I cried many times at the shocking endings." Women in the same generation also wrote, "It's the first time ever in my lifetime that I [played] a game that made my heart tremble so much" and "Everything [here] is beautiful."

Those in their 30s would write things like "I'm moved by the protagonists risking their lives to live", "I think the term 'One and Only' refers to games like this", and "I wonder if there will be a game that remains in my heart more than this; this title will continue to be my dearest even in the future." Someone even voted for this game just "because it is Yoko Taro's title."

Suikoden II:

Women in their 20s said, "The group image of people surviving at the mercy of the powerful runes struck my heart" and "I'm glad there is a lot of replay value with many features like the headquarters system and minigames," while men in their 30s wrote things like, "All of the story, music and game balance are very good! This game is the first one where I want to know the past of every character appearing here" and "Luca Blight's [in]famous quote 'Die Pig!!!!' was really shocking."

Dragon Quest V:

A woman in her 30s said, "The story is excellent, and I actually felt the sensation of growing up from a child to an adult," while another in her 20s wrote, "The remake version had Debora appearing, which made the 'ultimate selection' even harder."

Meanwhile, a 30s man "had a good memory of making forced decisions with a friend so that 'I'm going to choose Bianca, so you shall go with Flora!" while a teen boy "got overwhelmed by the story that looks like a Taiga drama, and got excited at watching the protagonist grow up and overcome tragedies."

Final Fantasy VII:

Comments for FFVII are dominated by men in their 30s, which you can read in the following list:
  • “Everything was shocking to me back then when I was a middle schooler; from the evolution from SNES, the magnificent story, to the appealing characters and music.”
  • “The masterpiece that showed the evolution of RPG.”
  • “I’m just surprised at the evolution of graphics at that time; I’ve seen the moment the history of video games [started] moving.”
  • “I still never forget the excitement of seeing a vast world when going out of Midgar.”

A woman in her 20s “fell in love with Cloud at the first time when seeing him in battle scenes,” and another in her 30s said “Aerith is a heroine who still lives inside my mind even right now. Her cruel fate is so shocking that it even gave a trauma to me in my childhood.”

NieR: Automata:

A teen boy liked the "crazy world settings", while a woman in her 30s wrote that the excitement for this game will be “unbearable for those who like robots and ruins.”

Comments for NieR: Automata are getting dominated by men in their 20s...
  • “Thank you, Yoko Taro.”
  • “It’s complete as a game, as an art, and even as an idea.”
  • “The actions are also stylish, so even doing simple things like jumping while moving or going up stairs are fun [to watch].”

...and also women in their 40s.
  • “A rare title which leaves ‘something’ that will be never gone from my mind for my lifetime”
  • “This title gives affection to the characters and made me shed tears”
  • “An excellent scenario that gouges your hearts, unpredictable story development, various gimmicks full with the desire of fun, and all of those are made more hype with the finest music. It’s a masterpiece.”

Chrono Trigger:

A woman in her 40s commented “At that time, it had the most beautiful graphics, a deep story that won’t bore you no matter how many times you play, and appealing characters. It’s eternally the All-Time Best,” and another in her 20s wrote “The world setting, characters, music, and story; Even if any of them were taken it would still be the one ‘legendary’ game to me.”

The comments for Chrono Trigger, however, are being dominated by the 30s generation, from both women...
  • “Even after playing it for over 10 times, I still got moved by it every time."
  • “This is a masterpiece that seemed to take the good points from both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, while also having enough uniqueness and originality.”

...and men alike.
  • “Frog is cool.”
  • “I’ll never forget the excitement when I saw the illustration published before its release.”
  • “Thanks to New Game+, I don’t remember how many times I’ve replayed it.”
  • “I’m surprised at the Multi Ending system where you could also have an ending without the main character.”

Dragon Quest III:

As expected, comments for this game are being dominated by the older generation.

Men in their 30s wrote the following:
  • “This is The Adventure! This is The RPG!”
  • “The original experience of RPG.”
  • “When I knew the meaning of ‘And into the Legend…’ [the Japanese subtitle], I got goosebumps.”
  • “I still have good memories of it even now, when I lost the Adventurer’s Book twice.”

While those in their 40s wrote:
  • “I played this by reducing my sleep time while I kept changing jobs to build my own strong character.”
  • “I became addicted to this without any reason. This is a grand masterpiece of RPG in all aspects: Battles, BGM, and story.”
  • There is also a single featured comment from a woman in her 30s, who said: “The boys in my class were really hyped on it, but I was able to enjoy it quietly without joining in their conversations.”

Persona 5:

Persona 5 has also gathered comments from voters of varying generations.

From men in their 40s...
  • “Having 1.5 million copies being sold worldwide is not just for show! The highest degree of completion in the series and the intensely pleasant story make it unbearable!”
  • "Actually, I thought they couldn't create something that would surpass P4. Sorry about that!"

...those in the 30s...
  • “Even though it’s stylish there is nothing detestable; I’m just admired at their good sense.”
  • “It is also fun at raising [character] levels!”

...men in their 20s...
  • “This is a masterpiece without any doubt.”
  • “[The song] Life Will Change is great.”

...and women of the same generation.
  • “This is more beautiful and cool than even anime.”
  • “It’s good that you get to see Personas standing right behind protagonists in battles, giving a sense of them [actually] fighting together.”

A woman in her 30s is quoted as saying “10 months after release, and I still haven’t played this enough,” and a teen boy also wrote, “I can only say ‘[What a] misfortune’ if you don’t know about this game.”

Top Bottom