• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

gonna post some stuff from atlusnet creator works (like a dev diary)

and a status screen:
SfLOeKw.jpg

O0z3GeB.jpg

also they made a program specifically to sort figures of mythology to arcana
all fascinating.

Thinking of all the work they must have gone through to make P5 happen is maddening. It's been five years.

Sophia

I said this in chat, but I'd love to have a book on basically the whole development history and process of Atlus's PS2 era games. Especially Persona 3 and Nocturne.

Caladrius

Yeah, it's part of why I really like the whole Kickstarter thing. I find it really interesting to actually see into the development process of games. The amount of dummied out stuff in OoT is absolutely fascinating.

It's a bittersweet deal for me, since the stuff that gets past the conceptual stage and has to be dummied out is hardly ever re-used. Kickstarter makes me anxious for similar reasons. If it doesn't go through all I see is wasted potential. :(

Thinking of all the work they must have gone through to make P5 happen is maddening. It's been five years.

Having to sit there while the public judges what came of all that work has to be terrifying.

I said this in chat, but I'd love to have a book on basically the whole development history and process of Atlus's PS2 era games. Especially Persona 3 and Nocturne.

Who do I have to sex to make that happen?

I would love that, Megaten pre PS2 was mixed. There were great games, and there were some true stinkers. Say what you will about your personal preferences, but every single megaten in the PS2 era onward (We dont talk about NINE) has been a quality game.

Also abandoned Male MC or Makoto?

Hmmm....

definitely Makoto, he's design is probably my favorite out of all of the MC's design, not only because you look at it and you get an idea of what his personality might be (we all know that kid who sits in the back of class listening to his iPod, and puts his hands in his pockets all of the time) but also because his design fits in with the game's theme and aesthetic, P3 at its very core is a story about death, and it makes sense for the leading man to be this quiet, sarcastic, slightly goth kid (which incidentally is my biggest problem with P3P's FeMC, she's too damn chipper.)

The abandoned MaMC does retain some of those elements, but heavily toned down which makes him look a bit forgettable in comparison.

Caladrius

definitely Makoto, he's design is probably my favorite out of all of the MC's design, not only because you look at it and you get an idea of what his personality might be (we all know that kid who sits in the back of class listening to his iPod, and puts his hands in his pockets all of the time) but also because his design fits in with the game's theme and aesthetic, P3 at its very core is a story about death, and it makes sense for the leading man to be this quiet, sarcastic, slightly goth kid (which incidentally is my biggest problem with P3P's FeMC, she's too damn chipper.)

The abandoned MaMC does retain some of those elements, but heavily toned down which makes him look a bit forgettable.

I was talking about the guy who's my current avatar.

Gazoinks

It's a bittersweet deal for me, since the stuff that gets past the conceptual stage and has to be dummied out is hardly ever re-used. Kickstarter makes me anxious for similar reasons. If it doesn't go through all I see is wasted potential. :(

Yeah, that's very true. It's always a bit melancholy looking at the really cool stuff that gets removed from games, especially if it was stuff that could've been in but had to be cut out because of time or money constraints.

That'd be great. I'd love to read a detailed analysis of the development of P3 and them moving away from the earlier games' style.

Moonlight

Banned
dev work is best appreciated long after the fact. Seeing it pre-experiencing stuff is weird.
I'm more or less in this camp. I like insight into the development process as much as anyone, but total transparency in what they're doing or cutting or whatever doesn't sit right with me.

Gazoinks

dev work is best appreciated long after the fact. Seeing it pre-experiencing stuff is weird.

Heh, yeah, this something I've experienced with Kickstarter as well. I personally find it interesting because I'm interested in game development processes, but I've seen people in Kickstarters I've been involved with freak out over stuff that's really just part of the normal development process, you just don't see it. Cut content and delayed launches and such.

Caladrius

Yeah, that's very true. It's always a bit melancholy looking at the really cool stuff that gets removed from games, especially if it was stuff that could've been in but had to be cut out because of time or money constraints.

In heaven the original Sonic 2 is waiting for me.

Oh jeez awkward haha

I'm kind of unfamiliar with the dude on your avatar, care to shed some light.

He's pretty and he'd make a good house husband. That's about it. >__>

Sophia

That'd be great. I'd love to read a detailed analysis of the development of P3 and them moving away from the earlier games' style.

Persona 3 and Nocturne always just struck me as really ambitious games for a company like Atlus. They're comparable in quality to bigger titles, just as big in scope, and yet seemingly done on a fraction of the budget. It's fascinating.

There are some details on AtlusNet and in the artbooks, but having it all collected together in one big Iwata-Asks style book would be awesome.

LOL

Btw I have the opposite opinion for his MC and FeMC opinion, I always like Yu's design more because its more easier to project various personality to him.

Haha valid point

idk, I guess I like putting myself in others' shoes more than feeling like I am the one in the story. If that makes any kind of sense.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love FeMC and her personality, I just feel like she would have belonged in P4 better than in P3.

Also dos masks.

That is really cool looking, would have preferred that over the glasses any day

fertygo

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love FeMC and her personality, I just feel like she would have belonged in P4 better than in P3.
Its neat alternative though, I like to have FeMC as caring leader that sticking cupid arrow to the rest of party.. daww

Also dos masks.

Wearing mask is kinda silly though lol

Moonlight

Banned
I dunno, I think the glasses were a much better decision going forward. Glasses keep the face visible, don't give off weird Super Sentai vibes, and they're less... I dunno, on the nose than putting on a different, literal mask to invoke your Persona. Less heavy-handed, I should say. Plus, glasses are much more stylish!

pan-hime

also according to the P3 artbook, the evokers were orginally going to have tarot cards in them, and Hermes was orginally the MC's persona.

Wow all of this discussion about early designs and the artistic method are REALLY getting me hyped for 5. Can't wait to see what they've come up with.
Me too. I'm fascinated about early designs. I might save some P5 info/screens/movies for the future to compare to the final product.

Gazoinks

I'm really curious whether they'll use breaking tarot cards again or whether there'll be a new method of summing Personae to fit in with the new themes. Hope it's the latter.

Dresden

I would say the internet as a means of summon in general, but DeSu already kinda did that idea.

Whatever they do, I hope it avoids feeling tacky, which DeSu couldn't get around.

Honestly, the idea that I was kicking around was something to do with mirrors, maybe.

I was thinking about that, but portability might be a thing . . . seems a bit too on the nose, too.

how would that work though?

Vin Diesel is a big nerd, so he might be down. The rest of the details will just work out on their own.

pan-hime

I think they do talk about it in the Creator Works dev dairy, but my japanese is terrible.

Also dos masks.

Also, those masks are pretty cool. Shame they were tossed out.
I dunno, I think the glasses were a much better decision going forward. Glasses keep the face visible, don't give off weird Super Sentai vibes, and they're less... I dunno, on the nose than putting on a different, literal mask to invoke your Persona. Less heavy-handed, I should say. Plus, glasses are much more stylish!
funny thing is, the glasses/masks were almost kicked out of the game.

Vin Diesel is a big nerd, so he might be down. The rest of the details will just work out on their own.
Persona: Five and Furious

Somebody needs to get on contacting Mr. Diesel ASAP

I can see it now, it'll be like card games on motorcycles, except without card games...or motorcycles...or terribleness.

We also need Dwayne Johnson for this

...Levito?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom