• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

tumblr_mw4m6x3fSq1r4alnbo1_1280.png

My body is ready. Time to put on some Dethklok!

Dantis

I would cry if the Persona team killed off the turn-based battle system. I love Xenoblade, but Persona 5 shouldn't try to be Xenoblade.

Me too.

I think they'll keep it turn-based. I just hope they either throw out or make significant improvements to the One More system to make it more involving.

Also I was thinking of TWEWY Too: Electric Boogaloo, with TWEWYT:EB: Toejam and Earl edition later on.

I like One More just fine.

I have a feeling they'll change it though. One more is a changed up version of Press Turn, so it makes sense that they'd evolve it again.

kewlmyc

I would cry if the Persona team killed off the turn-based battle system. I love Xenoblade, but Persona 5 shouldn't try to be Xenoblade.

I usually don't like turn based battles (which is why I'm avoiding the rest of SMT/Persona 1&2 for right now), but Persona 3/4 battle system was fine for me because it kept it simple. No summons or anything like that and the AOA system made you strive for something while battling. And when you got bored of battling, you could always stop and go do something else unlike a lot of JRPGs.

Dantis

I usually don't like turn based battles (which is why I'm avoiding the rest of SMT/Persona 1&2 for right now), but Persona 3/4 battle system was fine for me because it kept it simple. No summons or anything like that and the AOA system made you strive for something while battling. And when you got bored of battling, you could always stop and go do something else unlike a lot of JRPGs.

Exactly. One More was designed for Persona 3, and the whole concept behind Persona 3 was moving onwards and upwards. Battles were an obstacle, not a focus. If every battle was five minutes of white knuckled tension, as some people seem to want, the entire dynamic of Tartarus would have changed.

You know that Xenoblade isn't the only arpg out there right

I'm not sure there's anything 'action' about Xenoblade.

But what I meant is that I don't want that kind of half-control combat you see in Xenoblade, Ni No Kuni, FF12 etc.

Caladrius

Now I just have the image of Chris Farley as a Chippendales dancer from SNL.

http://youtu.be/e2E1kJsAal4?t=3m33s

Exactly. One More was designed for Persona 3, and the whole concept behind Persona 3 was moving onwards and upwards. Battles were an obstacle, not a focus. If every battle was five minutes of white knuckled tension, as some people seem to want, the entire dynamic of Tartarus would have changed.

I'm not sure there's anything 'action' about Xenoblade.

But what I meant is that I don't want that kind of half-control combat you see in Xenoblade, Ni No Kuni, FF12 etc.

I think a cooldown system would be even worse, considering how MegaTen focuses so much on deliberation and forcing it into semi-automated real time means you can't really keep that element of tension decision making without simplifying or drastically altering the game

I still think they they should implement some more of the tension and complexity from the main games somehow, but I'm admittedly at a loss as to how that could be done without making it frustrating. Maybe have the party members be highly flexible like in DDS or P2 or something as opposed to the completely fixed skillsets we have now.

Marche90

Jumped on the Catherine deal... but it's taking forever to download on my shitty 3.5 mbps internet. Oh, well...

Also, the second-to-last page... Everyone ready to jump ship? I know I am.

Dantis

I think a cooldown system would be even worse, considering how MegaTen focuses so much on deliberation and forcing it into semi-automated real time means you can't really keep that element of tension decision making without simplifying or drastically altering the game

I still think they they should implement some more of the tension and complexity from the main games somehow, but I'm admittedly at a loss as to how that could be done without making it frustrating. Maybe have the party members be highly flexible like in DDS or P2 or something as opposed to the completely fixed skillsets we have now.

Honestly, my gut reaction is that I just want a slightly tweaked version of the P4 battle system. I don't think Golden added anything of value, either.

Jumped on the Catherine deal... but it's taking forever to download on my shitty 3.5 mbps internet. Oh, well...

Got OT3 all written up last night. I'm ready.

I think DDS mechanics would be awesome for Persona. I dunno if they could streamline it further, but that'd be a great example to take basics from.

Hey, I have the same internet speed. It sucks; when you're sharing it does so especially. But yay new thread.

Caladrius

Honestly, my gut reaction is that I just want a slightly tweaked version of the P4 battle system. I don't think Golden added anything of value, either.

Got OT3 all written up last night. I'm ready.

I liked that they gave the party members signature attacks, at least. Differentiated them from the protagonist and their fellow element user a little bit more.

Good.

We should hold a moratorium on posting up until the 23rd just for the lulz.

Dantis

I liked that they gave the party members signature attacks, at least. Differentiated them from the protagonist and their fellow element user a little bit more.

I liked those too. I'd forgotten them until now.

The team attacks were a waste of time though. They looked more lame than anything (Though Teddie and Yosuke's Japanese dialogue for them was amazing).

The team attacks were a waste of time though. They looked more lame than anything (Though Teddie and Yosuke's Japanese dialogue for them was amazing).

Those actually saved my life a few times up in the higher difficulties. We can all agree that the bike attacks are better off forgotten though.

What was the dialogue haha?

cj_iwakura

I'd love to upload the Devil Survivor live action show to youtube translated for all to see, but uh, I'd get all kinds of banned from YT. It's a very adult show, and I do mean adult.

What if Persona 5 becomes the first ever JRPG to become a musical? Every cutscene involves singing. It'll be a rock opera. :-D

Someone never played Rhapsody.

I'd love to upload the Devil Survivor live action show to youtube translated for all to see, but uh, I'd get all kinds of banned from YT. It's a very adult show, and I do mean adult.

Someone never played Rhapsody.

If it gets pulled down down just use dailymotion, they don't give a crap XD

Tamanon

Banned
I think it'd be cool if Persona 5 had combo attacks between the characters and their Personas themselves, instead of just one or the other. Like for a P4 example a lightning sword attack from Izanagi/Yu.

Meia

I think I actually had a Legion with Sexy Dance and Charm Boost in my last playthrough. Dat Legion = baller status.

So, a new thread very shortly? Wonder if I'll be passed out before it comes to pass. Probably. :p

Squire

Banned
OT3 approaches. Goddamn guys.

Anyway, the PS4 is awesome and where a few of us have been, but I still kept checking the thread last night. All the development stuff is great. Thank you, pan-hime.

I'm interested as a fan, but also as a student. P4 has the greatest design synergy of anything I've ever played; all the systems feed into each other and you're never wasting your time. And of course it's cool to see the origins of the casts from games past.

It's time. I can't believe it.

Dantis

Those actually saved my life a few times up in the higher difficulties. We can all agree that the bike attacks are better off forgotten though.

What was the dialogue haha?

It was more the performance from Teddie than anything. Every time he spoke I was in stitches.

Anyway, the PS4 is awesome and where a few of us have been,
but I still kept checking the thread last night. All the development stuff is great. Thank you, pan-hime..

Too jealous.

Caladrius

It's quaint that some 30 or so pages ago that I thought we would have been at page 393/196 on the 24th.

I actually avoided doing them. (That and I never actually bothered to upgrade the AOA so they were worse than my regular boosted attacks.)

I think it'd be cool if Persona 5 had combo attacks between the characters and their Personas themselves, instead of just one or the other. Like for a P4 example a lightning sword attack from Izanagi/Yu.

Two words for you: Fusion Spells.

Also I'd like to have 5 party members in battle again.

Looks like OT3 is coming a week before Persona 5
, I hope.
It's gonna be a crazy start to the thread (ignoring the inevitable crashing of NeoGAF).

Why is it that you guys make new threads after 400 pages anyway?

Meia

Funnily enough Nanako reminds me of Clementine in the pic there with the cap. Fitting as those two have been the best child characters I've seen in the medium. :p

Squire

Banned
Too jealous.

I maintain people still aren't missing a whole lot with these launch games, but it's a fantastic OS and hardware. When Persona 5 a game you really want comes out for it and you get it, you'll love it. I'm the biggest critic of the PS3, but Siny really pulled it off with the PS4.

Dantis

I maintain people still aren't missing a whole lot with these launch games, but it's a fantastic OS and hardware. When Persona 5 a game you really want comes out for it and you get it, you'll love it. I'm the biggest critic of the PS3, but Siny really pulled it off with the PS4.

I have mine preordered for launch (Plus AC4 and KZ), it just isn't out here yet.

SOOOO excited. You may not have gathered this from my positive demeanor, but my Wii U was not the next gen I was looking for.

Tamanon

Banned
Looks like OT3 is coming a week before Persona 5
, I hope.
It's gonna be a crazy start to the thread (ignoring the inevitable crashing of NeoGAF).

Why is it that you guys make new threads after 400 pages anyway?

GAF rule to keep from screwing up the database. 20000 posts = new thread.

Squire

Banned
I have mine preordered for launch (Plus AC4 and KZ), it just isn't out here yet.

SOOOO excited. You may not have gathered this from my positive demeanor, but my Wii U was not the next gen I was looking for.

Ih, duh, Europe. Sweet! I got AC4 and KZ also, but I have Injustice coming on Monday as well.

And no, I would never have guessed! :p

Caladrius

I was going to get a PS4 this holiday but I figured I should finish up my Gen 6 collection and spend the next year catching up on the PS3 and savoring the first-party WiiU titles next year. I've been pleasantly surprised by 3D World, I was one of those people that wrote it off immediately when I first saw it.

That and KH ain't coming for at least another year. To be perfectly honest KH titles have nudged me into buying Sony Systems more than Persona has.

Dantis

Ih, duh, Europe. Sweet! I got AC4 and KZ also, but I have Injustice coming on Monday as well.

And no, I would never have guessed! :p

Yeah, I wasn't going to get AC4 with it, but it looks so great from the previews, so I gave Revelations another go and actually really got into it. Genuinely really excited to play Black Flag now.

If Persona 5 gets announced for PS4, that will be so, so amazing. I'll be screenshotting everything, haha!

Pirabear

Banned
I'm literally basing the time frame of when I get a PS4 on if Persona 5 gets announced for it or not.

From soon-ish, to sooner

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I wasn't going to get AC4 with it, but it looks so great from the previews, so I gave Revelations another go and actually really got into it. Genuinely really excited to play Black Flag now.

If Persona 5 gets announced for PS4, that will be so, so amazing. I'll be screenshotting everything, haha!

Yeah, same here. I don't typically enjoy AC, but I liked all the design changes I was hearing about and how it's "not like AC". Good. Standard AC kind of sucks.

And yeah, I know it's partly the high from that new console smell, but at this point? P5 on PS4 would be fuvking amazing. So much hype.

Tamanon

Banned
PS4 is next year for me. I refuse to play Watch Dogs on a current gen system. I'm just going to imagine it's purely next-gen. Watch Dogs, Second Son and The Order 1886. That's all I need.

And Persona 5

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

A slightly overclocked 360 isn't next gen. >:)

Lunar15

P5 would be the main thing that would get me to get a PS4 if it were on it. Next year sounds about right, but honestly I haven't heard too much that I'm excited about for it. I'll need to see more from the Order to really get hyped, and not sure MGS5: Prologue is gonna do it either.

I've got a fairly good PC, so any other multiplatform games I can just get for that.

Moonlight

Banned
PS4 arrives for me the same day that Guilty Gear does. Otherwise, I'm stalling on getting one for as long as possible. Honestly, there's really not much on the next-gen horizon that excites me.

For someone who doesn't have the know how/cash/patience to deal with a gaming PC, I'd love to see Persona 5 on Playstation 4 just because of how buttery smooth everything looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom