• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
285.gif

Ken's awesome haters gunna hate

u wot m8

LX_Theo

Banned
Chie is meh. Her character, while the most average circumstances, suffers from the plight of feeling the most average. She doesn't interest me as a character because of this (and I don't do the waifu stuff, so there's that).

In the end, none of the characters are bad. Yes Marie haters to Chie haters, she isn't bad. She just isn't the type of person for you.

Just like real life. No one has an inherently bad personality. Each person has their up and downsides. But each one will have a different connect with each person who plays the game. This will happen when you play it from a waifu perspective like some, an observer perspective like myself, a friend perspective like some, or any other perspective.

Its the thing I like about Persona. It gives a wide range of strong characters that covers a lot. Anyone who plays the game can have their group of people they like the most and interest them the most.

And that ends my silly little ramblings. I hope it was a great counter to what is likely a bunch of people not being all that serious :p

Chie is meh. Her character, while the most average circumstances, suffers from the plight of feeling the most average. She doesn't interest me as a character because of this (and I don't do the waifu stuff, so there's that).

In the end, none of the characters are bad. Yes Marie haters to Chie haters, she isn't bad. She just isn't the type of person for you.

Just like real life. No one has an inherently bad personality. Each person has their up and downsides. But each one will have a different connect with each person who plays the game. This will happen when you play it from a waifu perspective like some, an observer perspective like myself, a friend perspective like some, or any other perspective.

Its the thing I like about Persona. It gives a wide range of strong characters that covers a lot. Anyone who plays the game can have their group of people they like the most and interest them the most.

And that ends my silly little ramblings. I hope it was a great counter to what is likely a bunch of people not being all that serious :p

This speech made me tear up

except for the parts about you not liking Chie, those made me vomit in rage.

PK Gaming

Sounds like they're saying "You Pickle" instead of Yukiko sometimes. Makes me chuckle.

You consider people who constantly flirt with you "bros"? Seems more awkward than anything...
Yes? You need to examine her interactions with the other people to get that sense. In short, Rise usually goes out of her way to help people.

For example: She agreed to helping Yosuke
during the "move" scare, and reassured him that nothing would go wrong. Hell she personally took charge and got the team to become half decent musicians by herself.
. On Valentines day she
ends up giving chocolate to all of "friends", so nobody would feel left out. Not just to the investigation team, but to other students as well.

She makes a conscious effort to make Kanji feel better, usually by dropping by his house (much to his annoyance) or hanging out with him at scool. Kanji even mentions in his social link that she
thought his "dolls were cute" which ended up boosting his confidence.
She even tries to help him with
Naoto during the ski trip event.
Her social link
has her resolving to become an idol again, even despite the countless hardship and struggles she endured, because she could put a smile on faceless fan's face.

She's a class A bro.

Rise would never get into a fucking fist fight to help a kid out. And give up first hit at that.
Rise would probably help him out another way. Without violence.

Yes? You need to examine her interactions with the other people to get that sense. In short, Rise usually goes out of her way to help people. EX: She agreed to helping Yosuke
during the "move" scare, and reassured him that nothing would go wrong. Hell she personally took charge and got the team to become half decent musicians by herself.
. On Valentines day she
ends up giving chocolate to all of "friends", so nobody would feel left out. Not just to the investigation team, but to other students as well.

She makes a conscious effort to make Kanji feel better, usually by dropping by his house (much to his annoyance) or hanging out with him at scool. Kanji even mentions in his social link that she
thought his "dolls were cute" which ended up boosting his confidence.She even tries to help him with Naoto during the ski trip event.
Her social link
has her resolving to become an idol again, even despite the countless hardship and struggles she endured, because she could put a smile on faceless fan's face.

She's a class A bro.

I think you're mistaking being thoughtful friend and generally good person with bro-itude.

PK Gaming

I think you're mistaking being thoughtful friend and generally good person with bro-itude.
I have a Master's degree in bro-itude. My thesis was on why Atsuro was the one-true-bro in SMT. When it comes to being a bro, i'm second to none!

Jokes aside, being a thoughtful friend / generally being a nice person are the stepping stones towards being a good bro. After all, Chie is a good bro precisely because of those reasons.

Yes? You need to examine her interactions with the other people to get that sense. In short, Rise usually goes out of her way to help people.

. On Valentines day she

Her social link

She's a class A bro.

This is a good write up.

kewlmyc

. On Valentines day she

Her social link

She's a class A bro.

I thought you meant bros only in regard to the protagonist. Yeah, Rise treats the other party members rather well and seems to get along with everyone. I just couldn't see her being a "bro" with the protagonist considering how much she flirts with him.

Squire

Banned
Who says those things can't be one and the same? Some of my best friends on earth are people I would consider to be both thoughtful and full of bro-ness at once.

Oh, they're not mutually exclusive, but they are different things.

People on the internet often try to use "bro" as a synonym for "asshole" or "Neanderthal".

I'm still using "asshole" and "Neanderthal", myself. My bros are my friends.

LX_Theo

Banned
Is that so...

I'd say so, barring the influence of mental diseases. Some people can be driven to do horrible things, sure, but that is only the world's influence on them/their personality (not to say they are not at fault for allowing the influences to effect them in such a way). No personality is worse than another. They only interact with the world and people in it differently.

FluxWaveZ

I'd say so, barring the influence of mental diseases. Some people can be driven to do horrible things, sure, but that is only the world's influence on them/their personality (not to say they are not at fault for allowing the influences to effect them in such a way). No personality is worse than another. They only interact with the world and people in it differently.

But isn't how one interacts with the world and the people in it the very definition of "personality"? I'd say that interactions that generate positive reactions from others are preferable for most people than interactions that illicit negative ones, and that's where I have to question whether one can have a worse personality than another. If how one interacts with others is generally the latter, would they not have a "worse" personality than another whose interactions are the former?

Moonlight

Banned

. On Valentines day she

Her social link

She's a class A bro.
This is excellent.

Rise would be using her Idol Connections and shit and really get things done.

LX_Theo

Banned
But isn't how one interacts with the world and the people in it the very definition of "personality"? I'd say that interactions that generate positive reactions from others are preferable for most people than interactions that illicit negative ones, and that's where I have to question whether one can have a worse personality than another. If how one interacts with others is generally the latter, would they not have a "worse" personality than another whose interactions are the former?
In a sense, yeah. It is how they interact. What I meant was that a situation and influences around a person can lead them down a very dark path when a different road in life could have turned out much the opposite.

While I'm not saying I think a person is inherently good, I suppose what I really mean is that no one has any right to be put above another.I guess what I'm trying to say is similar to you, but at the same time taking that view and saying it has no place.

Every eye is different. The variation in reactions just shows the subjectivity of the matter. What you are describing would be more of how society views things, no? As a group would see things. What personality best benefits the group... The society...? Yet every society and group will have their variations on this, too.

Social constructs will lead people to judge and put some above others for the sake of bettering the society, yes. At the same time, this does not define a person's worth. Perhaps their worth to a society, but only to that. In the end, that is still only the view of the society. Their beliefs are of no larger value of the views of any other society. And with that, the value of that view loses its worth in determining personalities being better or worse.

I refuse to accept a view of the world that wishes to rank and create a hierarchy over the simple concept of being one's self. No person deserves to be put down for the simple act of existing as the person they are.

CorvoSol

I'm not sure how I feel about Yukari.

I'm sure how I feel about Yukari. I've played barely any P3P and she's already best.

Nah, Marie is pretty bad. Her design is awful. Her character is cliche. Her behavior and personality repulsive. I mean really, everyone in P4G is great, even freaking Igor oozes charm, but Marie feels completely devoid of worth.

LX_Theo

Banned
Nah, Marie is pretty bad. Her design is awful. Her character is cliche. Her behavior and personality repulsive. I mean really, everyone in P4G is great, even freaking Igor oozes charm, but Marie feels completely devoid of worth.

Its going, going... Gone! He missed it entirely.

FluxWaveZ

Every eye is different. The variation in reactions just shows the subjectivity of the matter. What you are describing would be more of how society views things, no? As a group would see things. What personality best benefits the group... The society...? Yet every society and group will have their variations on this, too.

I think I agree most of what you're saying and we might be approaching the term "personality" through two different ways: I think you're approaching it more by a "blank slate" influenced by society approach while I'm talking about a personality already affected by one's society.

What I quoted above, though, is what I meant initially. Let's say that someone has a personality which is essentially insulting, denigrating, unfriendly and all sorts of bad stuff and that's how they always act. Then there's another person who is kind, welcoming, accepting and friendly just like PK Gaming talked about Rise was. I'm pretty sure it would only be natural to rank how they act and, depending on the society, people would say that one has a worse personality than the other.

Again, the misunderstanding here might just be our differing approach to the term personality.

I think I agree most of what you're saying and we might be approaching the term "personality" through two different ways: I think you're approaching it more by a "blank slate" influenced by society approach while I'm talking about a personality already affected by one's society.

What I quoted above, though, is what I meant initially. Let's say that someone has a personality which is essentially insulting, denigrating, unfriendly and all sorts of bad stuff and that's how they always act. Then there's another person who is kind, welcoming, accepting and friendly just like PK Gaming talked about Rise was. I'm pretty sure it would only be natural to rank how they act and, depending on the society, people would say that one has a worse personality than the other.

Again, the misunderstanding here might just be our differing approach to the term personality.

To put it simply, assuming the people aren't huge dicks, no personality is worse than any other, especially in a game or other form of entertainment media, where character flaws make for fuller more enriched characters.

LX_Theo

Banned

Eh, I'm sort of trying to speak from both in a sense. That sort of dual approach is probably what is causing any miscommunication.

In regards to the blank slate. That was more speaking from my own personal feelings on it. It falls more into your perspective of this. It actually had little to do with my argument. It was more of a personal acknowledgement of people who horrible things. In reality, a society, group, or individual could easily value those people more than what our own would consider better. My argument is more of the objective. The concept of someone being better or worse as a fact. As something inherent. That deals with the current and already developed personality.

As in what you quoted. I was laying out the idea then proceeding to elaborate that a society's opinion is of no more worth than an individual's because they are just subjective. The objective reality, or being inherently better or worse, is never a matter of subjectivity. Since its a topic that has no approach to it outside of the subjective ones, it just means there is no objective way of ranking people's personality. Everyone becomes the same. They are all simply people stringing out their own narrative in a universe of infinitely different views.

FluxWaveZ

To put it simply, assuming the people aren't huge dicks, no personality is worse than any other, especially in a game or other form of entertainment media, where character flaws make for fuller more enriched characters.

But what I'm talking about are the people who are huge dicks. If we're specifically talking about Persona 4, are you saying that characters like Mitsuo, Morooka and (MAJOR P4 SPOILERS)
****Adachi****
have personalities that are on the same level as the Investigation Team, despite the fact that they are more flawed as individuals?

LX_Theo

Banned
But what I'm talking about are the people who are huge dicks. If we're specifically talking about Persona 4, are you saying that characters like Mitsuo, Morooka and (MAJOR P4 SPOILERS)
****Adachi****
have personalities that are on the same level as the Investigation Team, despite the fact that they are more flawed as individuals?

From my own personal standpoint? From your standpoint? Probably not.

From view that steps back from any of our own personal views? Yeah. Well, maybe not Morooka. He was sort of a comedic relief the whole time. Wouldn't really consider any one note character like that to have a personality.

PK Gaming

In the end, none of the characters are bad. Yes Marie haters to Chie haters, she isn't bad. She just isn't the type of person for you

I think it's perfectly within our right to dislike Marie. Not because she's "not for us" or a character that we don't appreciate, but simply because she suffers from a host of problems, ranging from bad writing to poor execution; a bad character if I ever saw one. It's not objective, sure, but her near universal disdain is almost a symptom of how bad she is.
Its going, going... Gone! He missed it entirely.
I'm sorry, but I don't get it either. What are you trying to say?

FluxWaveZ

As in what you quoted. I was laying out the idea then proceeding to elaborate that a society's opinion is of no more worth than an individual's because they are just subjective. The objective reality, or being inherently better or worse, is never a matter of subjectivity. Since its a topic that has no approach to it outside of the subjective ones, it just means there is no objective way of ranking people's personality. Everyone becomes the same. They are all simply people stringing out their own narrative in a universe of infinitely different views.

Ah, I think I see what you mean. It's not a perspective I can take on the issue, though, even disassociating my own subjective values of what I think a "good" or "bad" personality is. To me, one's personality is intrinsically linked to the values of a society as a whole so a personality cannot be seen as objectively neutral and equal in relation to others. People's personalities are judged based on these societal values and the personality's associated behaviors, so the aspect of one's personality that has a tendency to impulsively lie is "bad" while the aspect of another's personality which values honesty is "good."

I see what you mean as a way to distance any subjective opinion from any one person's personality and observe it as a unique facet of an individual that is unlike another's, but I personally see no point to looking at personality that way since personality, outside of probably looks, is what determines how one communicates with the world around them and how they are received in the society we personally live in.

LX_Theo

Banned
I think it's perfectly within our right to dislike Marie. Not because she's "not for us" or a character that we don't appreciate, but simply because she suffers from a host of problems, ranging from bad writing to poor execution; a bad character if I ever saw one. It's not objective, sure, but her near universal disdain is almost a symptom of how bad she is.

I'm sorry, but I don't get it either. What are you trying to say?
In the simplest way I can, I'm saying that an opinion is an opinion. Treating it like a fact is extremely illogical. Judgement of personalities is no exception to this.

Ah, I think I see what you mean. It's not a perspective I can take on the issue, though, even disassociating my own subjective values of what I think a "good" or "bad" personality is. To me, one's personality is intrinsically linked to the values of a society as a whole so a personality cannot be seen as objectively neutral and equal in relation to others. People's personalities are judged based on these societal values and the personality's associated behaviors, so the aspect of one's personality that has a tendency to impulsively lie is "bad" while the aspect of another's personality which values honesty is "good."

I see what you mean as a way to distance any subjective opinion from any one person's personality and observe it as a unique facet of an individual that is unlike another's, but I personally see no point to looking at personality that way since personality, outside of probably looks, is what determines how one communicates with the world around them and how they are received in the society we personally live in.
That is simply a reflection of how important you view society's opinion (well, your society's opinion). Nothing wrong with that. Just another approach and view.

You simply see the view as the ones that matter to living life. As long as you're not trying to imbue the view as a fact/objective reality, then I see no further conflict between our two views.

PK Gaming

In the simplest way I can, I'm saying that an opinion is an opinion. Treating it like a fact is extremely illogical. Judgement of personalities is no exception to this.
Fair enough.

I don't think anyone here seriously thinks that Marie is objectively bad though.

LX_Theo

Banned
Fair enough.

I don't think anyone here seriously thinks that Marie is objectively bad though.

Which I addressed in my original post, lol. Said that people weren't likely being all that serious is their actions of treating their opinion as fact. Just wanted to make the point for those that were, I suppose.

CorvoSol

Yeah but fuck logic. It isn't like it's actually possible for people to be completely logical anyway.

fertygo

I don't get the hate for Chie just because she have no special circumstance like other party member, I think that's her role and appeal.

That's my biggest grudge for P3 cast, out of all party member all of it have big problem/circumstances? really? no ordinary human at all?

Buddha also often compare Chie to Lisa Silverman, which always mind-boggling me.. I mean if you attempt to write sypnosis about Ginko its will looked like this.
Lisa Silverman is a American girl that brought to live in Sumaru City by her parent that crazed with Japan, despite that she never learn english and that make her as bully target in her chiildhood and making her have bad term with her parent, she then learning Cantonese and mixing it with japanese when talking to spite her parent]
You had to try hard for making outrageous background like that, so of course Ginko would more "interesting" than Chie, but the point is Chie never created for having that big of circumstances..

EMT0

Banned
I think the Ken hate is probably the most insane aspect of the Persona fanbase. People just mad cause he got their brooding boy toy killed :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom