• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Rubedo

I don't think they had much choice but to announce it back last November. In my view, I feel an announcement is rushed if no gameplay is shown, and that's exactly what P5's announcement seemed to be. For all intents and purposes, if we hadn't been waiting so long for P5's announcement, I doubt the game would've been announced in the manner that it had been. With that in mind, I think the manner of P5's announcement is largely irrelevant.

I don't know about that. What really would be pressuring Atlus to announce it if they weren't ready to? They wanted this long, nothing would be stopping them from waiting another few months, especially since they had PQ and the other games to hold the fans over if they wanted to wait.

They aren't a big company like Square Enix who felt the need to reveal games like KH3 at E3 just to generate momentary hype when the game wasn't anywhere close to finished.

FluxWaveZ

I don't know about that. What really would be pressuring Atlus to announce it if they weren't ready to? They wanted this long, nothing would be stopping them from waiting another few months, especially since they had PQ and the other games to hold the fans over if they wanted to wait.

They aren't a big company like Square Enix who felt the need to reveal games like KH3 at E3 just to generate momentary hype when the game wasn't anywhere close to finished.

Maybe they didn't feel they absolutely had to, but they were developing Persona 5 and they were throwing a Persona event. So, despite not being ready to show the game off at all, they still wanted to get people excited for it and to tell them it existed. I don't think enthusiasm for Persona would be as high as it is now if people were still going "Persona Q's cool and all, but I wonder when they'll announce Persona 5" even now.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Incoming Toaster.

M7KCmqg.jpg

source

I knew that shit was off when I read it a few hours ago.

I cant wait for Persona 4 to carry this tag:

Set in post apocalyptc Tokyo, the entire population of the world is annihilated by a global catastrophe called the Conception. Now, the fate of the entire world lies on the shoulders of one young man who must battle his way through opposing demonic forces to bring order to the world to come, or possible become the harbinger of its destruction.

Silky

Banned
Damn, I dunno who it was but someone from either FGC GAF or here sent me a message about playing some P4A. I kinda deleted the message and I don't remember the name. it was someone with a transparent Yukiko avatar from PQ.

anyway I'm hopping on P4A right now so if you're interested in playing message me those PSN IDs

FluxWaveZ

Damn, I dunno who it was but someone from either FGC GAF or here sent me a message about playing some P4A. I kinda deleted the message and I don't remember the name. it was someone with a transparent Yukiko avatar from PQ.

anyway I'm hopping on P4A right now so if you're interested in playing message me those PSN IDs

It was me.

iCfG2qKVGeBrC.gif

It wasn't me.

hao chi

*raises hand*

I've got some reading I need to do for class and probably can't play tonight though.

Anyway, my PSN is hao-chi if you want to play some other time.

Mostly it's just sad that Mitsuru doesn't pay him enough to afford a shirt :/

He traded his shirt for protein.

kewlmyc

I'm pretty sure the character designer is Soejima, not anyone at Arc System Works. They're responsible for his IK, though.

I thought it was discussed a while back in this OT that Soejima originally went for an Akihiko that looked like his Trinity Souls counterpart (suit), but ArcSys wanted a "wild" character, so they changed his design to what it is now. I definitely remember hearing that here.

FluxWaveZ

I thought it was discussed a while back in this OT that Soejima originally went for an Akihiko that looked like his Trinity Souls counterpart (suit), but ArcSys wanted a "wild" character, so they changed his design to what it is now. I definitely remember hearing that here.

I'm not taking Zen United's word for that. As far as I'm concerned, that's a ridiculous source of information concerning the game's concept designs.

Well, whatever the reason, it's dumb. In fact, I'd say pretty much all the designs done for Arena are dumb (Sho is okay, but not great). They were very clearly designed to be over the top fighting game characters--which, yeah, duh, they are--but they neither fit very well with the established universe's aesthetic nor do the P3 redesigns fit their characters very well at all. Akihiko is just above and beyond the worst of the bunch.

FluxWaveZ

Well, whatever the reason, it's dumb. In fact, I'd say pretty much all the designs done for Arena are dumb (Sho is okay, but not great). They were very clearly designed to be over the top fighting game characters--which, yeah, duh, they are--but they neither fit very well with the established universe's aesthetic nor do the P3 redesigns fit their characters very well at all. Akihiko is just above and beyond the worst of the bunch.

What's wrong with Junpei's design? And, considering Aigis, what's wrong with Labrys' design (outside of the axe)? I'm even fine with Yukari's design given the circumstances in which she enters the story, even though those circumstances were obviously created so that the aesthetic could indeed be remarkably dynamic in a fighting game like you pointed out. The fur coat for Mitsuru's design is really what bothers me about hers, but her and a "battle suit" is totally in line with how I'd envision her in P3. Akihiko's is probably the worst one, yeah, but I'll just chalk it up to the fact that he went a bit crazy from boredom in college and that it probably fits his vision of combat effectiveness when he's essentially become Ryu.

I'm fine with most of P4A's design. Sho's probably the one that bothers me the most next to Akihiko due to his face scars, obnoxious hair color and the fact that he's yet another newbie with a Yasogami uniform, but we don't know his story yet.

I think Fuuka's totally fine, as well. Officer Kurosawa got a bit of a makeover, but that's fine too.

wmlk

Junpei's new design is the only good one, I think (and maybe Yukari's?). Everyone else seems like an alternate reality version of themselves.

What's wrong with Junpei's design? And, considering Aigis, what's wrong with Labrys' design (outside of the axe)? I'm even fine with Yukari's design given the circumstances in which she enters the story, even though those circumstances were obviously created so that the aesthetic could indeed be remarkably dynamic in a fighting game like you pointed out. The fur coat for Mitsuru's design is really what bothers me about hers, but her and a "battle suit" is totally in line with how I'd envision her in P3. Akihiko's is probably the worst one, yeah, but I'll just chalk it up to the fact that he went a bit crazy from boredom in college and that it probably fits his vision of combat effectiveness when he's essentially become Ryu.

I'm fine with most of P4A's design. Sho's probably the one that bothers me the most next to Akihiko due to his face scars, obnoxious hair color and the fact that he's yet another newbie with a Yasogami uniform, but we don't know his story yet.

I think Fuuka's totally fine, as well. Officer Kurosawa got a bit of a makeover, but that's fine too.
Junpei's I actually forgot about, it's mostly fine. Yukari's would be fine under different circumstances, but as it is it's just goofy. Mitsuru is exactly the opposite for me--the fur coat doesn't actually really bother me, it's the silly superhero catsuit underneath it, though combined it's just super silly. Aikihiko's design makes little to no sense considering how the guy dressed himself in Persona 3 (and he didn't have Mitsuru's family stylist excuse), which tended to be very formal and put together. And people really just don't dress that way outside of fighting games. It doesn't seem like a design that was logically put together with the character in mind--it seems like it was designed first in a bubble and then applied to Akihiko, who it really just doesn't visually fit.

I should say that, as original fighting game character designs, I actually kinda like Mitsuru and Akihiko's designs--they're not aesthetically displeasing. But as an extension of them as characters in P3, no, absolutely not.

Labrys's knight aesthetic is really overbearing and yeah, her axe is my main sticking point of the design.

(forgot about Fuuka too, but her design is the one I would say is actually better than her original)

FluxWaveZ

I should say that, as original fighting game character designs, I actually kinda like Mitsuru and Akihiko's designs--they're not aesthetically displeasing. But as an extension of them as characters in P3, no, absolutely not.

It's probably worth reading the P4A artbook, because there are subtle elements to their designs that made me appreciate them more in the end. For example, in Persona 3, Akihiko was an out-fighter as his main boxing style, but Atlus consciously made a not to alter his combat stance and the way he fights because, through the confidence he gained and the rigorous training he has endured since the events of Persona 3, he has learned in-fighter techniques, which is reflected by how he fights.

And, actually, looking at the artbook, I'm having less and less of an issue with Akihiko's design. I still have a problem with the fact that he's running around town with a tattered hoodie on (that's stupid and I'm almost positive it's just out of laziness to not create new, clothed sprites for him), but this guy clearly became someone who roamed the world in harsh environments to become stronger and him looking dapper in an outfit like he wore during his high school days would be more out of place with his character than what he has on now.

Top Bottom