• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Dantis

I didn't care for the quest system in Persona 3 or Persona 4. They're both pretty flawed, and some of them can be obnoxious.

Yup.

3's much less so, I think, though. P4's sidequests were straight up shiiiiiit.

I've never bothered with them across all of my playthroughs.

Sophia

Yup.

3's much less so, I think, though. P4's sidequests were straight up shiiiiiit.

I've never bothered with them across all of my playthroughs.

Persona 4's quests were annoyingly spread out, but at least they made them easier to find in Golden.

Persona 3's quests were just flat out going against the gameplay systems in place: "Here, you have a limited time in Tartarus! Go fetch me some specific items from specific shadows that don't always appear and bring them back to me!"

And the "Create <persona> with <ability>" quests were just flat out shit in both games. Persona 4's was worse because it was tied to a social link. -.-;

I didn't care for the quest system in Persona 3 or Persona 4. They're both pretty flawed, and some of them can be obnoxious.

I found 3 to be worse in this aspect, because at least in 4 they weren't so obtuse in what you needed to do. Like Elizabeth requests you to find a tile, or the finding of that missing girl with Apathy syndrome (I think she has Apathy syndrome). I don't know where these damn things are, I think it needed better and more clear directions about what you needed to do with some of the requests.

Dantis

I found 3 to be worse in this aspect, because at least in 4 they weren't so obtuse in what you needed to do. Like Elizabeth requests you to find a tile, or the finding of that missing girl with Apathy syndrome (I think she has Apathy syndrome). I don't know where these damn things are, I think it needed better and more clear directions about what you needed to do with some of the requests.

These were only in Portable though, right?

kewlmyc

P3 didn't really bother me other than finding the rare weapons. P4's were awful and I didn't bother with them after the first dungeon. Going back to random dungeons to find random items to return to random NPCs in random locations for a random item that wasn't worth it was a pain in the ass.

Correct.

No, in FES there's a side quest asking you to find a missing girl who has apathy syndrome at Port Island Station and you have to give her 20 Cielo Mists.

84. Please find the missing person.
Description: "I'm afraid this missing girl has Apathy Syndrome... Could you
find her and bring her a drink to cure her condition?"
Reward: Maid Outfit (A) x1
Level: ***
Due: No due date
What to do: Purchase 20 Cielo Mists from the vending machine in your dorm.
Give the drinks to the girl next to the movie theater in Port Island station.

kewlmyc

No, in FES there's a side quest asking you to find a missing girl who has apathy syndrome at Port Island Station and you have to give her 20 Cielo Mists.

84. Please find the missing person.
Description: "I'm afraid this missing girl has Apathy Syndrome... Could you
find her and bring her a drink to cure her condition?"
Reward: Maid Outfit (A) x1
Level: ***
Due: No due date
What to do: Purchase 20 Cielo Mists from the vending machine in your dorm.
Give the drinks to the girl next to the movie theater in Port Island station.

Oh, I remember that shitty quest. You can only buy like 5 in one day too from the most random of vending machines.

arue

Speaking of P4, is there a time limit to the quests in P4 like in P3? And is there a reward for completing all the quests?

Tamanon

Banned
Speaking of P4, is there a time limit to the quests in P4 like in P3? And is there a reward for completing all the quests?

I thought there was an achievement for all quests. No real time limit though. Although some quests pass time(The Fox especially), or require multiple days.

Soriku

There is one quest line that has a time limit and expires, the ones dealing with the little girl twins.

I think there are a few more which disappear, but don't hold me to that.

Basically you should try to do the quests ASAP. Especially in the off time between rescues.

So after the better part of a month and half, I've finally finished Trinity Soul, and (story spoilers)
it's not awful it's just so mind numbingly boring.

I understand that the games take a while to get going, but they have a payoff, this is just episode after episode of what I hoped to be building up to an awesome story, but for me it never goes anywhere.

Also while I know Persona itself is unrealstic, the whole story about Jun and Yuki sharing a brain and body just went off the deep end for me, not to mention I felt like Ryo's whole character felt like a rehash of Katsuya.

In the end I was honestly confused about most of the plot points including the whole persona cleansings, the only memeorable part of the whole series to me was the fact Akihiko was in it.

All in all, 5/10 would not watch again.

I'm so sorry...

I did em all in P4G on Very Hard. Was pretty painless for the most part.

So after the better part of a month and half, I've finally finished Trinity Soul, and (story spoilers)
it's not awful it's just so mind numbingly boring.

I understand that the games take a while to get going, but they have a payoff, this is just episode after episode of what I hoped to be building up to an awesome story, but for me it never goes anywhere.

Also while I know Persona itself is unrealstic, the whole story about Jun and Yuki sharing a brain and body just went off the deep end for me, not to mention I felt like Ryo's whole character felt like a rehash of Katsuya.

In the end I was honestly confused about most of the plot points including the whole persona cleansings, the only memeorable part of the whole series to me was the fact Akihiko was in it.

All in all, 5/10 would not watch again.

Yep, like almost nothing happens.

arue

I'm so sorry...

I-it can't be that hard right? Right??

Well I said sometimes, so I would probably give up on some of them that aren't worth the effort.

Edit:
I did em all in P4G on Very Hard. Was pretty painless for the most part.

Phew okay. Hopefully the quests won't be to annoying. The ones in P3 are annoying except for the ones that involve fusing a specific persona and finding the two-handed sword.

If P5 has a quest system (and it will), I hope they took notes from Xenoblade so that
  1. People who give quests are clearly marked with some sort of icon over their heads
  2. Quests autocomplete whenever you've obtained whatever it is you were supposed to collect

The only quests I did in P4G were Funky Students' quests and the ones related to the Fox.

FES it's hard for me to recall. I think I only did the ones involving beating a certain shadow and bringing an item back. Oh, and getting to the barricade before the deadline.

-Dammit Yukiko, I would totally romance you up but I know the end of your S. Link and
there's no way in hell I'm living in Inaba for the rest of my life.

That doesn't happen. She just
breaks up with you.

Jinto

I-it can't be that hard right? Right??

Well I said sometimes, so I would probably give up on some of them that aren't worth the effort.

Not that hard. Just a little tedious. I tried doing all of them. I stopped after I couldn't find the twins anymore. I probably completed like 95% of the quests. Just make a list of every item you need to collect from every dungeon.

kewlmyc

If P5 has a quest system (and it will), I hope they took notes from Xenoblade so that
  1. People who give quests are clearly marked with some sort of icon over their heads
  2. Quests autocomplete whenever you've obtained whatever it is you were supposed to collect

That sounds awesome.

Actually, ideally quests will actually have some substance to them instead of being "Go collect x rusty screws thanks!" Like actual stories and dungeons (note to devs: Randomly generated dungeons would be welcome in sidequest dungeons!)

But failing that, if they're gonna insist on doing "Go collect X rusty screws" or whatever, at least make enemy drops more intuitive.

pan-hime

BlRYk62CUAEI71M.jpg

I see that, Shinji.

Arena's story mode is such an unfun slog. Bad enough I have to deal with this "Yu Narukami" dude who claims to have been present during Persona 4, but man is it boring and very dumb.

Meia

To be fair, the one saving grace for the P4 dungeons is you get ALL the quests for items from the previous dungeon story-wise a little bit before the next dungeon forms. If you're like me, since you always did the previous dungeon when a new one opened up to kill the optional boss anyway, it also gave you something to do while inside that previous dungeon.

The worst quests for me though where the ones that either required specific items from Daidara(so you had to farm specific shadows in a specific dungeon to get the item to complete the quest(LOOKING AT YOU CHIE'S BOOTS FROM THE BATHHOUSE)), or the ones that required you to have some normal loot from a normal shadow, instead of special stuff that drops only when you have the quest(since you almost always just hit "Sell All" when it comes to Junk for Daidara after you're done dungeoning).

And I can see a quest system like SMTIV's making it in, where it auto-completes.

CorvoSol

P4A

Reached Naoto's cliffhanger. I want to like this game's storyline, but it's such a jumbled mess. Really hope the manga tries to consolidate this shit. Especially since it would've been so easy to make this a cohesive thing: don't end every fucking chapter in the announcement room. Or have everybody arrive in the announcement room at the same time at the end of the chapters. But making it so that only your PC is the one busting into the announcement room is ridiculous.

Oh and all of Kanji's story. I get they wanted it to be funny, but Kanji's story is a complete mess. He just rolled into the TV on accident? Come the fuck on.

CorvoSol

Is it not obvious that those are cliffhangers meant to be resolved later on?

That's not what I mean. The problem is that every chapter ends the exact same way, except starring whoever you're playing as. Yu's story? Ends with him busting into the announcement room to save Rise and fight Shadow Labrys. So does Naoto's. Therein lies the problem: Yu isn't in the room in Naoto's, making it a stupid mess. Especially since every chapter begins relatively differently, meaning I need to play every story mode to get the full story, but I also am forced to slog through the same shit as I did in the previous 7 stories, except it all conflicts making it impossible to reasonably piece the story together. Heck, that cliffhangers exist at all and require I beat other story modes in order to carry on makes it that much more confusing, because it's not like I can just play the story of the one character I like and have done. I have to play every story mode or I can't finish any story mode, so why are story modes written as if I only ever intended to play one of them?

The problem isn't Arena's story's content. It's Arena's story's execution.

CorvoSol

Oh, I see. Yeah, I think that's what everyone has pretty much been saying since its release.

Yeah, I mean, I think part of my frustration really derives from the fact that when the game's plot is interesting, I'm really into it, then it just goes and does its whatever thing again.

kewlmyc

Yeah, I mean, I think part of my frustration really derives from the fact that when the game's plot is interesting, I'm really into it, then it just goes and does its whatever thing again.

The moment you unlock Labrys story mode, do that one immediately so you don't have to deal with the cliffhangers. It won't help with your main complaint, but at least you won't have to deal with cliffhangers.

Nope, you're right. I started drawing Persona fan art like, frequently, in March last year. Since then, my art has improved in general, and my knowledge of drawing cartoons (Anime or otherwise) has gone from basically zero to what it is now.

I feel like there's a noteable improvement every few pictures as I identify things I could improve upon.

My first picture I did. Spent hours on that bastard!

Wow, apart from some small errors here and there thats pretty amazing for being your first drawing!
I also need to train more by drawing every day, I have loose my grip this last months.

Top Bottom