• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

I was asleep what happened
Well...
yup it is confirmed

l_53550dd1529c09mjhd.jpg

(its official picture from famitsu page not a scan)

tried to clear it
0X9qqBj.png

dat new Himiko

Someone cleaned it up a bit more:

yxC2Bxr.jpg

New artwork for Yu?
This.

FluxWaveZ

And given what ATLUS USA has mentioned about localization, I would expect the game to come west in either the same month or September. That leaves October - December for PQ.

The Best Buy leak was probably completely legitimate, so the P4AU release date is September 16, 2014 in North America.

Lunar15

While I don't disagree with it, our stance on spoilers is a little weird considering we post pictures of Naoto in a catsuit over and over again, which, while not the biggest surprise in the world, is still kind of a major spoiler.

While I don't disagree with it, our stance on spoilers is a little weird considering we post pictures of Naoto in a catsuit over and over again, which, while not the biggest surprise in the world, is still kind of a major spoiler.

I've noticed we've been pretty lax all spoilers lately. There have been a few discussions where people talk about
Adachi's
possible role in Arena without spoiler tags, posting spoiler-y pictures, etc.

kewlmyc

To be fair, she's on the cover of both P4s, so yeah. Plus the OP animation of both games. The games don't care, so we shouldn't either. It's the main thing with you-know-who. If he's a playable character, then the game clearly doesn't care about spoilers, so we shouldn't either. But it's looking like he won't be so carry on as usual.

To be fair, she's on the cover of both P4s, so yeah. Plus the OP animation of both games. The games don't care, so we shouldn't either. It's the main thing with you-know-who. If he's a playable character, then the game clearly doesn't care about spoilers, so we shouldn't either. But it's looking like he won't be so carry on as usual.

Yeah, but the covers don't reveal that Naoto is
female
. That's a plot point you'd only know of you played the game.

Lunar15

EDIT: Above post said what I was essentially saying.

Meia

The spoiler thing is tricky. I love each of the new people we get here, especially considering most just happen to finally start playing P4 and say how much they love it, but there's got to be a time period on it I guess. P4 came out in 2008, so it's still a 6 year old game at this point. Of course, it just got released on PSN, and Golden only came out two years ago, so I only spoiler tag things as I like to think I'm considerate of others, but yeah...

I mean, P4A came out, and there weren't P4 spoilers floating around because there was no reason to. But they're the ones that threw in the idea of them with the P4U trailer, so this could go either way. If anything, I'm kind of pissed at Atlus with that trailer in the first place, to be blunt. They were so good at avoiding P4 spoilers in Arena, but to have that in the reveal trailer for 4U if there was going to be absolutely no fucking point to it is just asinine.

The Naoto thing is a character spoiler, but a minor one so it's less frowned upon. I mean, how would you even spoiler tag that? Are we going to tag anything using a pronoun if we're referring to
her,
cause that kind of defeats the purpose of the tag. Unless any sentence involving both must be completely spoiler tagged? I mean, because of this I've referred to Naoto as "they" and tried to make it fit in sentences, but it's an absurd practice. :p

I think he was talking less about the fact that Naoto exists, and more about that
she's a girl and therefore doesn't look ridiculous in dantiscatsuit.jpg

Edit: I was beaten

FluxWaveZ

If anything, I'm kind of pissed at Atlus with that trailer in the first place, to be blunt. They were so good at avoiding P4 spoilers in Arena, but to have that in the reveal trailer for 4U if there was going to be absolutely no fucking point to it is just asinine.

I disagree so much with this. It's one thing for us to skirt around or label spoilers in this thread for the courtesy of others getting into the game, but enough with the developers themselves doing it when it's a game that revolves around its narrative, paraded around as the "sequel to Persona 4." Showing what they did indicates that they will fully embrace the events of P4 (and possibly P3) into P4AU's story without having to water it down for fear of spoiling people. That is asinine.

Meia

I disagree so much with this. It's one thing for us to skirt around or label spoilers in this thread for the courtesy of others getting into the game, but enough with the developers themselves doing it when it's a game that revolves around its narrative, paraded around as the "sequel to Persona 4." Showing what they did indicates that they will fully embrace the events of P4 (and possibly P3) into P4AU's story without having to water it down for fear of spoiling people. That is asinine.

I'm more pissed at the idea that we even have to have the discussion, honestly, because there's really no reason for it. If he's not going to be an actual character in the game, what the hell is he doing there in the first place in a trailer for a fighting game?

They're trying to play both sides of the coin here, and that's what's pissing me off. If you want to spoil people with Arena's storyline, fine, but don't back off at the last second. Go into detail during Arena's story, so an inclusion by him, even as a part of a launch trailer for hype, makes sense. But don't make such an effort in Persona 4 Arena to not spoil Persona 4 proper if you're then going to go back on it in a wishy-washy way. If he wasn't part of that launch trailer, would we even be having this discussion about spoilers? Is his sole role in the trailer meant to be a "WARNING THIS GAME WILL SPOIL THE STORY FOR PERSONA 4!", cause they could have just easily said that, ya know?

Agree. Hell, someone could watch P4A's trailer and be spoiled that
something happens to Makoto.
(Happened to me)

There's an inherent risk into looking at material of game sequels.

Levito

Banned
It's kind of weird that they'd announce Persona stuff in Famitsu when they have their own magazine. More eyes and all that I guess.

Meia

Agree. Hell, someone could watch P4A's trailer and be spoiled that
something happens to Makoto.
(Happened to me)

There's an inherent risk into looking at material of game sequels.

Considering how little Persona 3's cast is in the trailer, this isn't the case. There's also the point where they flat out said they didn't want Arena to majorly spoil Persona 4, so that's why they always skirted the issue in the game itself, never really being specific on purpose...

....to them have him at the very end of the trailer for the sequel to the fighting game that HE'S NOT EVEN A CHARACTER IN. Does anyone else find this pants-on-head retarded, or is it really just me?

FluxWaveZ

I'm more pissed at the idea that we even have to have the discussion, honestly, because there's really no reason for it. If he's not going to be an actual character in the game, what the hell is he doing there in the first place in a trailer for a fighting game?

They're trying to play both sides of the coin here, and that's what's pissing me off. If you want to spoil people with Arena's storyline, fine, but don't back off at the last second. Go into detail during Arena's story, so an inclusion by him, even as a part of a launch trailer for hype, makes sense. But don't make such an effort in Persona 4 Arena to not spoil Persona 4 proper if you're then going to go back on it in a wishy-washy way. If he wasn't part of that launch trailer, would we even be having this discussion about spoilers? Is his sole role in the trailer meant to be a "WARNING THIS GAME WILL SPOIL THE STORY FOR PERSONA 4!", cause they could have just easily said that, ya know?

...Wha? Do you not recall that when we first saw the trailer during last November's Persona event, one of the scenes immediately following that tease was the character straight up talking to Yukari for multiple lines of dialogue?

And the character appears plenty of times during the game's arcade mode. We have a gist of what their motivations are, but we'll only truly know what they're doing there during Story Mode, which is normal. The character is essential to the game's story. A character doesn't have to be playable for them to be important in a story (see: BlazBlue). This seems more like frustration that the character didn't end up being playable and doesn't make sense in regards to their significance to P4AU's story.

....to them have him at the very end of the trailer for the sequel to the fighting game that HE'S NOT EVEN A CHARACTER IN. Does anyone else find this pants-on-head retarded, or is it really just me?

I already explained that that was a story trailer. Do you really think that the only way a character can be relevant to a fighting game's story is by being playable? Especially one with a visual novel presentation?

Yeah, don't care for how Himiko has a new form. A Rise with her actual Persona would have been interesting to see work, but this newbie design is like they essentially created a new character, and I've had enough of that garbage after Labrys and Sho. Missed opportunity there.

Hopefully whatever instigates the change doesn't ruin her participation in Persona 4 retroactively by making it seem like she could have helped you fight but just didn't.

Meia

I already explained that that was a story trailer. Do you really think that the only way a character can be relevant to a fighting game's story is by being playable? Especially one with a visual novel presentation?

Ok, so this is on me then since I've never played a fighting game that actually had a story like that(never played any Blazblue game, for example).

Also didn't know he's going to factor into the story that heavily(though this is all conjecture since we don't really know the story fully anyway). If he has a role, cool. If he doesn't, there's no real reason to have him in the trailer than to start spoiler arguments in the first place, which is the thing that was actually bothering me.

Yeah, don't care for how Himiko has a new form. A Rise with her actual Persona would have been interesting to see work, but this newbie design is like they essentially created a new character, and I've had enough of that garbage after Labrys and Sho. Missed opportunity there.

Hopefully whatever instigates the change doesn't ruin her participation in Persona 4 retroactively by making it seem like she could have helped you fight but just didn't.

Talked about it in the thread in Gaming, but Personas are based on psyche, and all that's really needed for one to change is a change in one's mindset. Maybe Rise was just really pissed about Arena's situation with her being a damsel in distress again, and being limited in the one role she could do to help everyone out?

Lunar15

Addendum: We can have Rise vs. Rise, Rise and Rise as commentators, and True Story playing with Rise on vocals.

It's megidolaon cute.

That action seems to fit her personality.

Joking aside, look at in this way. In P3 Mitsuru began as navigator. It wasn't because she couldn't fight, but because no one was able to do the job. Rise could be the same.

hao chi

If Rise isn't a godlike version of UMvC3 Ghost Rider then ASW fucked up omega hard

She should use her mic stand as a weapon and play like Litchi from Blazblue.

Edit: Though from that blurry seven second teaser from a week or two ago, she looks pretty zoning focused (assuming that was her in the teaser, which I'm nearly positive it was).

FluxWaveZ

Ok, so this is on me then since I've never played a fighting game that actually had a story like that(never played any Blazblue game, for example).

Also didn't know he's going to factor into the story that heavily(though this is all conjecture since we don't really know the story fully anyway). If he has a role, cool. If he doesn't, there's no real reason to have him in the trailer than to start spoiler arguments in the first place, which is the thing that was actually bothering me.

Conjecture? So you think he's appearing in various characters' arcade modes and talking to them, telling them about their motivations to reach the top of the tower and how they should avoid fighting to accumulate negative energy... for nothing? Sorry, but I think it makes more sense that the character will have major relevance to the game's story because of these—among other reasons—than saying that "oh, they won't matter in the story at all and they'll just be there for a few seconds." Come on.

And it's not just fighting games with a visual novel presentation that have NPCs relevant to the game's story. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, King of Fighters, Tekken, Dead or Alive... these all have the same thing.

Labrys is awesome and this comes from someone who hated her pre arena release :(

Talked about it in the thread in Gaming, but Personas are based on psyche, and all that's really needed for one to change is a change in one's mindset. Maybe Rise was just really pissed about Arena's situation with her being a damsel in distress again, and being limited in the one role she could do to help everyone out?
I really don't feel anything that happens in Arena should outpace what happens in Persona 4.

Joking aside, look at in this way. In P3 Mitsuru began as navigator. It wasn't because she couldn't fight, but because no one was able to do the job. Rise could be the same.
I was never really satisfied with Mitsuru's excuse in P3, honestly. Rise also goes the entire year without even giving a single inkling that she's capable in combat.

Meia

That action seems to fit her personality.

Mitsuru's persona actually had combat abilities though, she was just using it in another way to fill a need for the group. Do you think a Japanese pop idol who showed absolutely no inclination or ability to fight while the events of Persona 4 were going on is the same situation? :p

Hey kids, a word of advice, dont get a job!
Ahh well, Rise announcement is cool, going to hold off judgement until I see some video of how she plays. Same with, most likely now, Ken.

Also, I had no idea this many people cared about Fuuka! I guess her English VA in P3 made me like her less than I aught to. Hopefully the movie salvages her for me, because P3 Movie Fuuka is adorable.

And on that note.....
cjY5SaEl.png

Like I said in the Rise topic, all this hate that alb attracts actually makes a very strong case for his addition. It also compels me to use him and to pour salt everywhere.

Meia

Conjecture? So you think he's appearing in various characters' arcade modes and talking to them, telling them about their motivations to reach the top of the tower and how they should avoid fighting to accumulate negative energy... for nothing? Sorry, but I think it makes more sense that the character will have major relevance to the game's story because of these—among other reasons—than saying that "oh, they won't matter in the story at all and they'll just be there for a few seconds." Come on.

And it's not just fighting games with a visual novel presentation that have NPCs relevant to the game's story. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, King of Fighters, Tekken, Dead or Alive... these all have the same thing.

I'm saying until story mode is out, we won't really know what the hell he's doing there, which kind of makes his inclusion in a reveal trailer somewhat pointless.

And with your other examples, again, the point is the idea of the trailer here. If a character is in any of those other games, but not as a fighter, were they featured prominently in a trailer to promote the game, cause I kind of doubt it without causing some kind of backlash. Adachi has the added baggage of going against what they said they wanted to avoid with Arena in the first place.

Top Bottom