• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone say

"catty"

~imagine dantis_catgirl_naoto.jpg here~

Don't worry, I got this~

n4UtuDb.png

So if I have it right, your argument is that P4's inability to keep the same english voice actors is a result of series fatigue? Is that the logic at work here? No disrespect, but I don't see how the 2 are even remotely related. It's pretty clear cut that scheduling conflicts, difficulty with union actors, and bad luck are the reason for the myriad of voice acting changes. Because even games like Final Fantasy (aka the undisputed kings of milking franchises) can manage to consistently keep their old actors. Furthermore, it's not something that "happened" over time. It's been "happening" since the P4 anime was dubbed, and has since continued until now. I can only describe as an unfortunate string of bad luck.
Well, even Final Fantasy doesn't call on their VA's to reprise the same character over a 9 year span. You're bound to find some conflicts in that amount of time. So I would agree that the series' length is a big contribution on VA retention.

Keeping the same VA's are important to character-driven games such as the Persona series, but it's far from a deal-breaker.

Squire

Banned
Well, even Final Fantasy doesn't call on their VA's to reprise the same character over a 9 year span. You're bound to find some conflicts in that amount of time. So I would agree that the series' length is a big contribution on VA retention.

Keeping the same VA's are important to character-driven games such as the Persona series, but it's far from a deal-breaker.

The actors for Yuna and Tidus came back for Dissidia, which coincidentally has about nine years on FFX.

You'll find more and better examples in cartoons, but actors reprising voice roles from years long past is not at all uncommon. Time span between projects is irrelevant. Scheduling conflicts can occur at any time.

PK Gaming

?

First of all, we're not talking about a 9 year time span. P4 came out in 2008, and we've been having voice acting troubles since as early as 2011.

Second of all, Dissidia managed to retain all of the core FFVII, FFX and FFXII Voice actors without a hitch. Cecil and Kain had their voices from FF4DS voices retained as well. Outside of Gilgamesh (who was previously voiced by Joe DiMaggio in FFXII), Dissidia had a near perfect score for retaining VAs.

cj_iwakura

?

First of all, we're not talking about a 9 year time span. P4 came out in 2008, and we've been having voice acting troubles since as early as 2011.

Second of all, Dissidia managed to retain all of the core FFVII, FFX and FFXII Voice actors without a hitch. Cecil and Kain had their voices from FF4DS voices retained as well. Outside of Gilgamesh (who was previously voiced by Joe DiMaggio in FFXII), Dissidia had a near perfect score for retaining VAs.

Square has a LOT more capital than Atlus USA?

Squire

Banned

That seems to be something people are not considering or ignoring.

I don't know about you, but I'm not gonna be the guy that tells Troy Baker to bail on Metal Gear/Far Cry/whatever, so he can do Persona again. And I like Persona most.

Nimby

Banned
Another voice change?! Oh well. I really enjoyed Baker's perfomance in P4, prob one of my favourite voices. Still, I didn't notice the voice change in the anime so Mercer's ain't gonna be a problem.

K1kGkfd.jpg

Are people spamming him on Twitter? *facepalm*

I don't know about you, but I'm not gonna be the guy that tells Troy Baker to bail on Metal Gear/Far Cry/whatever, so he can do Persona again. And I like Persona most.

I wouldn't like seeing that in my Twitter feed if I was Troy. That's puts a bad impression on all of us, just let the man do what he wants.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the notion that P3/P4 is going through some series fatigue, but I just think your overall assessment is way off base.
I think you have me backwards--I don't see loss of VA retention as a result of series fatigue. I see the VA deal as a sign of series fatigue. If that makes sense.

Second of all, Dissidia managed to retain all of the core FFVII, FFX and FFXII Voice actors without a hitch.
Gabranth's FFXII voice actor did not reprise his role in Dissidia.

The actors for Yuna and Tidus came back for Dissidia, which coincidentally has about nine years on FFX.

You'll find more and better examples in cartoons, but actors reprising voice roles from years long past is not at all uncommon. Time span between projects is irrelevant. Scheduling conflicts can occur at any time.
Yup, I remembered Dissidia after I posted.

Anyway, time span is pretty relevant. Somebody could die (Japanese Igor VA), leave the business (P4 Chie), get famous (Troy Baker) etc. I'm not arguing scheduling conflicts here, because you're right, time is irrelevant with that, but time is relevant in VA retention.

2006 - 2015 is the period I'm talking about. That's the start and end date of the P3/P4 story in the west. We've been having more VA troubles since 2011, and would continue to do so if the series kept going on.

PK Gaming

So? That has nothing to do with my argument.

Bingo.

You only have to look at every long running anime/cartoon or animes/cartoons that have gotten sequels or movies.

Voice acting agents are pretty good at getting their VAs to reprise their role. Persona 4 is just the sad exception.
We even got Mona Marshalls to do Ken again...

NichM

Banned
Second of all, Dissidia managed to retain all of the core FFVII, FFX and FFXII Voice actors without a hitch.

When you say the core FFVII voice actors, are you talking about Mena Suvari's Aerith or Andrea Bowen's? Lance Bass's Sephiroth or George Newbern's? Are we skipping FFVIII because Square made the right call in replacing David Boreanaz with Doug Erholtz as Squall 7 years later, or because it doesn't fit the argument?

Xenoflare

I don't know what to feel about this, it seems like a lot of characters are getting VA swapped.

I really like Matthew Mercer, I loved his Alvin for ToX and Leon for RE6. I'm sure he can do a great job matching Troy, (hell he did it for the latter half of the anime) but I'm still very sad that Troy is not coming back for Kanji.

Please Laura don't ditch Rise.

wmlk

I brought the VA thing up yesterday and I was bombarded with stuff as to why it's so obvious that they would return.

Atlus probably has less money (than SE for example) to spend on this stuff, and has a ton of recurring roles for Persona 4. That's P4, the anime, P4U, P4AU, P4Q, and probably the Golden anime coming out soon, all within the span of 6 years. There's bound to be some inconsistencies.

I don't know what to feel about this, it seems like a lot of characters are getting VA swapped.

I really like Matthew Mercer, I loved his Alvin for ToX and Leon for RE6. I'm sure he can do a great job matching Troy, (hell he did it for the latter half of the anime) but I'm still very sad that Troy is not coming back for Kanji.

Please Laura don't ditch Rise.
Well, we're safe for Ultimax and PQ. If she couldn't for P4D, well, hopefully that doesn't happen.
Shit happens.

*shrug* I can't see any of the replacements doing a particularly bad job.
Of course. They'll do a great job. I don't think anyone's debating that, it just won't be the same VA that introduced us to the character.

It doesn't. That's the crux of this argument. What you're saying makes no sense.
Alright, I'll try again. The individual voice actors not returning are for completely variant reasons all on their own. But as time goes on, these all compound. Compounded together, it shows a history of slow decay in the original cast, which I see as a sign of series decay.

Xenoflare

Well, we're safe for Ultimax and PQ. If she couldn't for P4D, well, hopefully that doesn't happen.Of course. They'll do a great job. I don't think anyone's debating that, it just won't be the same VA that introduced us to the character.

Are we certain for PQ? I know that she's there for Ultimax.

Dancing All Night seems to be a faraway project as of now, so I won't be worrying about it too much.

I JUST remembered that Mercer voiced Walter in SMT4, and I was playing it earlier today too.

Squire

Banned
Alright, I'll try again. The individual voice actors not returning are for completely variant reasons all on their own. But as time goes on, these all compound. Compounded together, it shows a history of slow decay in the original cast, which I see as a sign of series decay.

This is different from your original point. I don't think it's much less silly, but you might have some stump of a leg to stand on. Maybe.

PK Gaming

I think you have me backwards--I don't see loss of VA retention as a result of series fatigue. I see the VA deal as a sign of series fatigue. If that makes sense.

No, that's exactly what I was going for, I just worded my post poorly. But yeah, I flat out disagree with your assessment. I mean come on, the inconsistent VA deal can only be attributed to unfortunate scheduling and bad luck. It has nothing to do with the source material. It's very much a case by case basis involving voice acting agents.

Again, how can you say that when we've been having problems since 2011-2012? No less than 4 years after Persona 4 came out! And again, this isn't a criticism you can make. It has nothing to do with quality, and everything to do with voice acting agents. They control everything.

Gabranth's FFXII voice actor did not reprise his role in Dissidia.

Ah, I forgot about him.

When you say the core FFVII voice actors, are you talking about Mena Suvari's Aerith or Andrea Bowen's? Lance Bass's Sephiroth or George Newbern's? Are we skipping FFVIII because Square made the right call in replacing David Boreanaz with Doug Erholtz as Squall 7 years later, or because it doesn't fit the argument?

Another challenger huh

Core actors mean core actors. I was distinctly under the impression that most of those VAs were flat out replaced, since they were huge miscasts. Nothing to do with scheduling conflicts and what not. They all started out Kingdom Hearts too, so you can hardly call them core actors.

David Boreanaz, Lance Bass and Andrea Bowen's were immediately replaced in KH2.

kewlmyc

Bingo.

You only have to look at every long running anime/cartoon or animes/cartoons that have gotten sequels or movies.

Voice acting agents are pretty good at getting their VAs to reprise their role. Persona 4 is just the sad exception.
We even got Mona Marshalls to do Ken again...

Only P4 seems to be having this problem. The P3 crew seem more consistent in coming back. Only one not back from the original P3 (aka not Theodore) is Fuuka, and everyone hated her original voice anyway.

I don't mind all that much though. Shit happens, it's not uncommon for character actors to get replaced in ALL media, and the actors they're bringing in have solid track records or are familiar with the source material (except maybe Papenbrook, but apparently I need to give him a chance more).

I'm only worried about two things though:

1. Mixing the voices: Won't be a problem for PQ, but in Ultimax, please don't mix the old voices clips from P4A with the new voice clips during the fight dialogue. That crap is always super jarring.

2. Same voice actors: This is a personal problem for me with both Ultimax and PQ. Namely Yu/Adachi and Makoto/Yosuke. I don't really like it when a voice actor voices two characters that interact with each other. VAs can sometimes use different voices to hide it (The Simpsons and South Park are the prime examples for this), however when the VA has used the same voice for both characters in the past, it becomes really jarring when they talk to each other directly in future games/media. P4 the Animation is a great example of this. The voice they went with for Adachi was awful because they decided to give Yu the same voice range that Adachi had in P4 Original. Given Makoto in the P3 voice clips has the exact same range as Yosuke, I'm hoping having both of them talk in PQ won't be jarring. I also hope they approve Adachi's voice in P4AU and don't have him being super high pitched like they did in the anime to differentiate him from Yu. I rather had had a new voice all together.

Squire

Banned
And replaced by the Advent Children cast. That cast is the core consistent cast for the FFVII team, across KH2, Dissidia, and all those misguided FFVII spin-offs.

I was expecting a DR portrait of Kyoko thinking, PK.

Xenoflare

Only P4 seems to be having this problem. The P3 crew seem more consistent in coming back. Only one not back from the original P3 (aka not Theodore) is Fuuka, and everyone hated her original voice anyway.

I don't mind all that much though. Shit happens, it's not uncommon for character actors to get replaced in ALL media, and the actors they're bringing in have solid track records or are familiar with the source material (except maybe Papenbrook, but apparently I need to give him a chance more).

I'm only worried about two things though:

1. Mixing the voices: Won't be a problem for PQ, but in Ultimax, please don't mix the old voices clips from P4A with the new voice clips during the fight dialogue. That crap is always super jarring.

2. Same voice actors: This is a personal problem for me with both Ultimax and PQ. Namely Yu/Adachi and Makoto/Yosuke. I don't really like it when a voice actor voices two characters that interact with each other. VAs can sometimes use different voices to hide it (The Simpsons and South Park are the prime examples for this), however when the VA has used the same voice for both characters in the past, it becomes really jarring when they talk to each other directly in future games/media. P4 the Animation is a great example of this. The voice they went with for Adachi was awful because they decided to give Yu the same voice range that Adachi had in P4 Original. Given Makoto in the P3 voice clips has the exact same range as Yosuke, I'm hoping having both of them talk in PQ won't be jarring. I also hope they approve Adachi's voice in P4AU and don't have him being super high pitched like they did in the anime to differentiate him from Yu. I rather had had a new voice all together.

The problem is that Naoto from the P4AU stream sounded like her voice clips are mixed with old and new voice instead of a complete redub.

I certainly hope that it's just a pre-release build thing.

This is different from your original point. I don't think it's much less silly, but you might have some stump of a leg to stand on. Maybe.
I don't think it's different, but maybe it is, so thank you?

Maybe?

No, that's exactly what I was going for, I just worded my post poorly. But yeah, I flat out disagree with your assessment. I mean come on, the inconsistent VA deal can only be attributed to unfortunate scheduling and bad luck. It has nothing to do with the source material. It's very much a case by case basis involving voice acting agents.
I voiced it in a later post, but I consider the case by case problems compounded over time as a type of series decay. If you don't consider it to be, no skin off my nose.

Again, how can you say that when we've been having problems since 2011-2012?
That is literally what I mean by compounding over time. I really think I'm being misread here, because I have no idea what to make of the rest of that response, as it doesn't seem to be a response to anything I've said. It's not a question of the quality of these individual games or the voice actors or anything. It's just a matter of individual VA replacements (for whatever reason, it doesn't matter) adding up over time. That's it.

I'm tired, I need to go to sleep.

PK Gaming

That is literally what I mean by compounding over time. I really think I'm being misread here, because I have no idea what to make of the rest of that response, as it doesn't seem to be a response to anything I've said. It's not a question of the quality of these individual games or the voice actors or anything. It's just a matter of individual VA replacements (for whatever reason, it doesn't matter) adding up over time. That's it.

I guess you're entitled to your opinion but... It's just such a freaking bizarre observation man! Like, I really can't wrap my head around it. If you can think of specific incidences outside of Persona 4 where series fatigue was even remotely related to voice acting, I could maybe see where you're coming from but... Gah, sorry I just can't do it. Personally, I see it as unfortunate coincidences piled on top of even more unfortunate coincidences. 4 is an unlucky number...

And replaced by the Advent Children cast. That cast is the core consistent cast for the FFVII team, across KH2, Dissidia, and all those misguided FFVII spin-offs.

I was expecting a DR portrait of Kyoko thinking, PK.

It's dangerous to throw out a Kyoko sprite. You gotta be a 100% sure man.

Alfredo

I'm serious. Persona Q is honestly not that interesting to me. It's some weird little story that happens in the middle of the two games. Plus it sounds like it doesn't resemble the gameplay of P3 or P4. The one thing I was interested in was seeing these characters that I love so much interact with each other again.

The voices are part of those characters. It's why I love Chie in P4 vanilla, but fell out of love when her voice changed. Her character changed. Kanji was my favorite character, and Troy Baker was a part of that. So hearing that I won't be hearing him in Q makes me even less interested.

I'm still interested in Ultimax, even if Baker might not be in that either, because it's a fighting game, and I like fighting games.... Plus my main might switch from Kanji to Adachi!

As for the milking of P4 in relation to the voice actors changing, I'll agree that they're not related at all. But, if they didn't milk it, we wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place. :p

Xenoflare

I'm serious. Persona Q is honestly not that interesting to me. It's some weird little story that happens in the middle of the two games. Plus it sounds like it doesn't resemble the gameplay of P3 or P4. The one thing I was interested in was seeing these characters that I love so much interact with each other again.

The voices are part of those characters. It's why I love Chie in P4 vanilla, but fell out of love when her voice changed. Her character changed. Kanji was my favorite character, and Troy Baker was a part of that. So hearing that I won't be hearing him in Q makes me even less interested.

I'm still interested in Ultimax, even if Baker might not be in that either, because it's a fighting game, and I like fighting games.... Plus my main might switch from Kanji to Adachi!

As for the milking of P4 in relation to the voice actors changing, I'll agree that they're not related at all. But, if they didn't milk it, we wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place. :p

I think if Kanji is getting replaced in Q, he's going to be replaced in Ultimax.

Well, I would certainly like the games rather than not having them at all.

But truth to be told, it's going to be awkward.

I am SHOCKED that people are giving up on games before release due to cast changes.

I love the original P4 cast as much as anyone but Christ! Give them a chance at least.

I suppose these people will be abandoning P5 if someone they don't like gets cast.

I know this sounds like a rant, and it is a little bit, but the negativity in here from some people is toxic!

Also, I would be down with tyrion as igor.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I am SHOCKED that people are giving up on games before release due to cast changes.

I love the original P4 cast as much as anyone but Christ! Give them a chance at least.

I suppose these people will be abandoning P5 if someone they don't like gets cast.

I know this sounds like a rant, and it is a little bit, but the negativity in here from some people is toxic!

Also, I would be down with tyrion as igor.

I actually got to interview some of the voice actors a few weeks before E3. They're all super cool people, and their job is not easy in the slightest. (Destiny alpha, moon wizards etc. proving that rule.)

Most importantly, they're people, not voice robots. Shit happens and casts have to change. :\

+1 for your comment

Squire

Banned
Yes, you nailed that Reanimation.

I actually got to interview some of the voice actors a few weeks before E3. They're all super cool people, and their job is not easy in the slightest. (Destiny alpha, moon wizards etc. proving that rule.)

Most importantly, they're people, not voice robots. Shit happens and casts have to change. :

+1 for your comment

Ooh, I'm guessing we'll get to see those at some point?

Rhapsody

Banned
At least Matt Mercer made a decent Kanji from what I remember.

While I love consistency, it's hard to expect it in english dubbed games :/

I'm fine with it unless it's some lousy impersonation that was done horribly wrong. Musashi in Samurai Legend is the easy one that comes to mind.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Yes, you nailed that Reanimation.

Ooh, I'm guessing we'll get to see those at some point?

Later this summer, I hope. And yeah, I found out that while it's incredibly easy for me to answer questions on camera, it's a hell of a lot harder to ask them.

Of course, it doesn't help when you're flustered and trying to remember your question, and in the process of trying to collect yourself, the voice of Nanako starts singing the "Junes" jingle. You can literally see me melt on camera. (assuming it makes the final cut.)

Squire

Banned
Later this summer, I hope. And yeah, I found out that while it's incredibly easy for me to answer questions on camera, it's a hell of a lot harder to ask them.

Of course, it doesn't help when you're flustered and trying to remember your question, and in the process of trying to collect yourself, the voice of Nanako starts singing the "Junes" jingle. You can literally see me melt on camera. (assuming it makes the final cut.)

Oh man, we loved talking to Karen when we had her on the podcast. So charming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom