• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Who else thinks Ultimax will end with Sho learning the true value of friendship and sacrifice himself to save the world?

Personally, I'm hoping he gets REDACTED, if you catch my drift.
By which I mean, [REDACTED] shoots him.

EDIT:
P3 and P4 spoilers incoming:
I don't think they're gonna repeat the same gimmick again, especially for basically the third time. I think Sho's actually going to set out to accomplish part of what he wants to do, so in this regards he'll be closer to Ikutsuki. Except with more fully fleshed out motivations.
I just hope he doesn't get the
Takaya
treatment.
"Just lie there until you're sorry."
Pissed me off to no end.

Sophia

"WHAT? HOW CAN THIS BEEEE?!?"

"BECAUSE WE HAVE THE POWER OF BONDS!"

*Rainbow beam*

I don't think they're gonna repeat the same gimmick again, especially for basically the third time. I think Sho's actually going to set out to accomplish part of what he wants to do, so in this regards he'll be closer to Ikutsuki. Except with more fully fleshed out motivations.

Lunar15

I have to disagree. he's got best friend written all over him. Plus they already wrote wrote themselves out of the hole: There's two Sho's, one to be entirely evil and one to become best friends with everyone.

I'm 16, and will be turning 17 in November. How's college/university life anyway?

My college days were dark, serious, and overall mature in theme. Truly, they were times that could not be properly contextualized by a mere high-school setting.

Nah, I'm just joking around! (There's an inside joke here about people wanting persona to be set in college because that would make it more mature or something)

College/University is a ridiculous time that is nothing like real life. It's probably the least like real life than any other time you'll experience. Your mileage my vary. Cherish it, but use it wisely. Live with no regrets.

PK Gaming

I doubt it. He's written pretty clear as a straight antagonist. I'm sure we'll get motivations for his actions, but I don't see him doing anything legitimately helpful for the main characters.

I'll hold you to it, then.

Because i'm 99.999999991% sure Sho's going to heel face turn.

We're doing favourite games now, okay:
1: Team Fortress 2
2: Kid Icarus: Uprising
3: Persona 3 Portable/Persona 4 Golden, can't choose between them
4: Pokémon Platinum
5: Borderlands 2
Kirby's Dream Land gets an honourable mention because it was my first game and the only one I played for a couple of years, my family was super poor and my sister and I got one of them old see-through GameBoys + Kirby.

Levito

Banned
Yeah, the encounter rate in that game was horrible. P2EP doesn't have that going on, so that's a plus. I'm really not a fan of combat in either Persona 2, though.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but the UI for combat feels a bit cumbersome. Like really basic actions require multiple prompts for whatever reason. More than anything though the bland presentation + super easy enemies make it feel dull.

If only P2:IS had Soul Hackers combat, boy that'd be great. They're not vastly different, but SH feels like the flow of combat in particular doesn't take you out of it like P2: IS does.

Venfayth

Ichi: Perusona 4: The Golden
2: Peruson 4

the rest of the smt games are kuso
TL NOTE: KUSO MEANS SHIT

3. the last of us

i really think this game defines gaming in general. with such powerful "women" role models, this game pushes the boundaries in a lot of ways. i believe it will truly be a long time before anything else could hope to dethrone it. except maybe like, persona 5.

four - does it really matter

Caladrius

I can't pick just 5.

And I'm not sure that I could really lump them into a single list because they're all ultimately drastically different games. I can see doing that with a series, but not an entire medium.

That said, everyone can agree that Persona 3 is the worst Persona game.
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

I bet the twist is that the only reason Sho Minazuki exists is because he is bound to
~
EDIT: Much appreciated.

Sophia

I have to disagree. he's got best friend written all over him. Plus they already wrote wrote themselves out of the hole: There's two Sho's, one to be entirely evil and one to become best friends with everyone.
I'll hold you to it, then.

Because i'm 99.999999991% sure Sho's going to heel face turn.

I don't think so because of how he's actually been presented. We're talking about an antagonist who was basically introduced in a trailer as "I'm going to slit your necks and watch you all bleed to death!" and so far has shown no qualities indicating he's somehow going to be on the side of the protagonists. And that's not the second personality for Sho either, but the regular one. Even the antagonist in P4 had stuff going for them before that point.

If they're going to write Sho as an eventual "best friend" type, then it doesn't make much sense with how he's been presented in previous trailers.

New page so:

Let's stop the lists before Dantis has a nervous breakdown.

The problem with lists isn't so much Dantis. Rather it's that they add nothing to discussion as they were being presented in this thread. It'd be a whole different story if these lists were actual discussions and paragraphs. :p

Or put simply, if you want to make a list post, it should look like this and not like the ones that were on the previous page(s)

Nachos

HeavenSmiley's favorite games of forever and ever:
  1. Persona 4
  2. Persona 4
  3. Persona 4
  4. Persona 4
  5. Three-way tie between Persona 4, Persona 4, and Marie Simulator 2012

To be fair to Dantis, this does seem much more appropriate for IRC, though. Perhaps we could list our actual favorite games and what similarities we see between them and the Persona series?

abrack08

Seriously man, stop this.

I think, if you don't like where the conversation is headed and want to turn it back to Persona, it would be more constructive to bring up a Persona-related topic, like Spectrasonic did, then just openly complain about what others are talking about. I totally get not wanting the topic to turn into list warz, of course.

Is the rule for community threads really that you're only supposed to talk about the game/series the thread was made for? I didn't see any rules posted, I always figured it was more like (a less shitty version of) the GameFAQS social boards; people who like *thing* have a place to congregate and discuss *thing* and other *things* they also like.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but the UI for combat feels a bit cumbersome. Like really basic actions require multiple prompts for whatever reason. More than anything though the bland presentation + super easy enemies make it feel dull.

If only P2:IS had Soul Hackers combat, boy that'd be great. They're not vastly different, but SH feels like the flow of combat in particular doesn't take you out of it like P2: IS does.

I agree. I put the game on easy (not knowing it was already super easy), followed a guide, turned battle animations off, and kept it almost always on AUTO with a powerful fusion spell selected, and it was STILL cumbersome.

Acid08

Banned

The menus do definitely take too much to get through. And sometimes they just seem slow to react too, everything about the combat was just so molasses slow. I couldn't deal with it tbh, didn't like the story enough to suffer through the zero fun gameplay.

Even the auto battle stuff is slow.

My top 10 favourite games is linked in my profile if anyone wants to check it out, but I won't be posting it here in fear of getting bopped by Soph. I will say this though: you guys' lists are seriously lacking in Elite Beat Agents :p

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Sho will repent by the time everything's said and done. His characterization reeks more of a pawn than a main antagonist, and that kind of character is usually prone to seeing the error of their ways.

Dantis

I think, if you don't like where the conversation is headed and want to turn it back to Persona, it would be more constructive to bring up a Persona-related topic, like Spectrasonic did, then just openly complain about what others are talking about. I totally get not wanting the topic to turn into list warz, of course.

Is the rule for community threads really that you're only supposed to talk about the game/series the thread was made for? I didn't see any rules posted, I always figured it was more like (a less shitty version of) the GameFAQS social boards; people who like *thing* have a place to congregate and discuss *thing* and other *things* they also like.

To your first point: No. If I said "SO ANYWAY GUYS HOW ABOUT THIS THING?" then all the silly juniors who just made bad posts won't realise that those are bad posts.

To your second point: A Community Thread is a place for discussions on a topic that don't belong elsewhere. If you want to discuss how great a character is, you post it in a community thread, for example, rather than clog up the main page with "OMG NAOTO IS SO COOL". It's not a place for like-minded people to make list posts. It is not at all like GameFAQs social boards.

Favourite games of all time is such a hard question. I know Majora's Mask is my absolute favourite, but the rest is so hard to determine. Stuff like whether I prefer Melee to Super Metroid, or Portal to Super Meat Boy, or whether TWEWY is better than all of them...

I don't like to think about it much. I like a lot of games. A lot.

I could see how it will end. Sho won't admit defeat, even though deep inside he will know that he was wrong. The game will probably end with him walking towards the horizon (sunset setting is included in this) with a quote along these lines: "I will be back, and next time I will surely beat the crap out of you on my own", with a smile on his face, and then he will mutter something like "yes, I will be looking forward to seeing them again", all that while the whole PCrew looks at him, also with a big smile on their faces.

I should bookmark this LOL.

kewlmyc

For some reason, I think Sho will die. I don't know why, it's just a feeling I have.

That would imply that someone kills him, unless he has some sort of illness like the villains in P3. I don't think anyone in the game has the mindset to do that. It'd be OOC for pretty much everybody.

Unless he suicides and I hated it when the last character did that, so no thanks.

Tiu Neo

Guys. Guys. Nobody has Suikoden II on their lists? I'm disappointed.

And I'm expecting Sho to be a pawn blinded and controlled by the malevolent entity. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a BEST FRIEND by the end of the game, or sacrificed himself or something like this.

It would be cool if in the end, his development was similar to P4 SPOILERS
Adachi on P4 Golden, who doesn't really repent in the end.

CorvoSol

Absolutely. The fact that during negotiation you have to select the negotiator's name, and then the confirm button, rather than just being able to hit x a second time when they're highlighted is a huge pain in the neck, just like when the game asks if you really really do want to do everything you just programmed it to do for the next turn and then verifies in the middle of the turn for a third time that you really, really do want to do that fusion spell you told it twice you want to do.

The game takes menus to a fetishistic level.

PK Gaming

I don't think so because of how he's actually been presented. We're talking about an antagonist who was basically introduced in a trailer as "I'm going to slit your necks and watch you all bleed to death!" and so far has shown no qualities indicating he's somehow going to be on the side of the protagonists. And that's not the second personality for Sho either, but the regular one. Even the antagonist in P4 had stuff going for them before that point.

If they're going to write Sho as an eventual "best friend" type, then it doesn't make much sense with how he's been presented in previous trailers.

That hasn't stopped countless other antagonists from changing sides before.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think he's going to become a "best friend" anytime soon, but the heel face turn is inevitable. There's 0.000000001% chance he'll go down without redemption.

Because bonds of people are true power.

Gazoinks

Wait, what if he's the son of Igor
Igor x Daidara is now canon.

I could see how it will end. Sho won't admit defeat, even though deep inside he will know that he was wrong. The game will probably end with him walking towards the horizon (sunset setting is included in this) with a quote along these lines: "I will be back, and next time I will surely beat the crap out of you on my own", with a smile on his face, and then he will mutter something like "yes, I will be looking forward to seeing them again", all that while the whole PCrew looks at him, also with a big smile on their faces.

I should bookmark this LOL.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happens. Not necessarily turning good, but setting him up as a sort of friendly revival. The Vegeta of Persona. :p

Don't get me wrong; I don't think he's going to become a "best friend" anytime soon, but the heel face turn is inevitable. There's 0.000000001% chance he'll go down without redemption.

True, but his demise could demonstrate the failings of those WITHOUT bonds, rather than constantly hammering in the strengths of those WITH bonds.

Sophia

That hasn't stopped countless other antagonists from changing sides before

Linking to TVTropes is kind of fallacious. The existence of a specific trope does not indicate that such a trope is actually going to be used, and the writers of Ultimax have shown no indication that they intend to use it. Take at look at his character trailer. Calling everyone dogs, using a haughty, condescending tone, making jokes about their deaths and the deaths of others. They're not the kind of things that say "I'M SUDDENLY SORRY FOR EVERYTHING I DID I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE!!!" They're the kind that say he's probably going to go down with the sinking ship when it's time.

There's just no indication that he's going to do a heel face turn at all.

Absolutely. The fact that during negotiation you have to select the negotiator's name, and then the confirm button, rather than just being able to hit x a second time when they're highlighted is a huge pain in the neck, just like when the game asks if you really really do want to do everything you just programmed it to do for the next turn and then verifies in the middle of the turn for a third time that you really, really do want to do that fusion spell you told it twice you want to do.

The game takes menus to a fetishistic level.

I am curious, how do you feel about the P2EP menus compared to P2ISP?

abrack08

Guys. Guys. Nobody has Suikoden II on their lists? I'm disappointed.

And I'm expecting Sho to be a pawn blinded and controlled by the malevolent entity. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a BEST FRIEND by the end of the game, or sacrificed himself or something like this.

It would be cool if in the end, his development was similar to P4 SPOILERS
Adachi on P4 Golden, who doesn't really repent in the end.

Never played it. Maybe if they'd finally add it to PSN... I did play Tierkreis on the DS and liked it a lot, and I've heard it pales in comparison to the rest of the series so I'd probably love it.

As for Sho, I've pretty much always assumed that perShona is controlling or manipulating him, so I would expect Sho to be redeemed/befriended no matter how twisted he seems now.

Why does EP change the order of my party every turn? Does it just default to Highest AGI moves first? I always expect, if I do a fusion spell one turn, that if I just instantly hit BATTLE again, it'll do the same moves again. It does them... but in a different order, not doing the fusion spell I want.

abrack08

I'M THE COOLEST.

What we've seen so far of Sho's dialogue is really, really bad, so I hope it's deceptive and not actually terrible.

Doesn't he say "It's murderin' time!" in one of his intros in the English version? That's amazingly corny, I love it.

Moonlight

Banned

Yep. His fate was sealed as soon as we saw Elizabeth's victory quote about how he was using the power of loneliness or whatever.

CorvoSol

Negotiations are the same but I don't say anything about it anymore because why would I keep voicing that complaint, but battle functions differently. Because auto is the default mode for battle in EP, it reminds me in a way of FFXII in that it's all about setting up your gambits for the fight and then walking away from it. In a way, it's nice, because outside of boss fights and the fucking annoying enemies who spam OHKO moves, you normally only punch in commands through one set of fairly straightforward menus at the start of a dungeon and then use that same set-up for the rest of the dungeon. Of course, I'm at this point in my life where I really want JRPG battles to be more engaging than "oh you can go get some chips cuz your victory is determined outside the battlefield."

Which is why I really prefer P4 and SMT4's battle systems. As bullshit as I felt SMT4 was at times (it was my first SMT game), battles were snappy. You had to pay attention, you had to think on your feet, and every battle, even random encounters, could turn on you if you treated it like a trash fight. In P4 battles were fun, because the game had a lot of clever things going on in battles, like bikes and punts and all outs and card shuffling shit.

To be honest, the only thing I feel that modern Persona is missing from old Persona games is 1) Firearms, since the use of firearms in tandem with more classic RPG weapons is something of an SMT standard and 2) a chance for the characters' personalities to come into play more in battle. Like, in P1-P2EP negotiation really lets your party show off who they are in funny, quirky ways. P4G gets this done through the above mentioned things like bikes and punts and shit, but if there was a way to combine the two into something which was fun, nonobstructive, and quick-paced it'd be a great addition to the formula.

Squire

Banned
No numbers, as the top three shift around.

• Final Fantasy IX
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Uncharted 2

Negotiations are the same but I don't say anything about it anymore because why would I keep voicing that complaint, but battle functions differently. Because auto is the default mode for battle in EP, it reminds me in a way of FFXII in that it's all about setting up your gambits for the fight and then walking away from it. In a way, it's nice, because outside of boss fights and the fucking annoying enemies who spam OHKO moves, you normally only punch in commands through one set of fairly straightforward menus at the start of a dungeon and then use that same set-up for the rest of the dungeon. Of course, I'm at this point in my life where I really want JRPG battles to be more engaging than "oh you can go get some chips cuz your victory is determined outside the battlefield."

Which is why I really prefer P4 and SMT4's battle systems. As bullshit as I felt SMT4 was at times (it was my first SMT game), battles were snappy. You had to pay attention, you had to think on your feet, and every battle, even random encounters, could turn on you if you treated it like a trash fight. In P4 battles were fun, because the game had a lot of clever things going on in battles, like bikes and punts and all outs and card shuffling shit.

To be honest, the only thing I feel that modern Persona is missing from old Persona games is 1) Firearms, since the use of firearms in tandem with more classic RPG weapons is something of an SMT standard and 2) a chance for the characters' personalities to come into play more in battle. Like, in P1-P2EP negotiation really lets your party show off who they are in funny, quirky ways. P4G gets this done through the above mentioned things like bikes and punts and shit, but if there was a way to combine the two into something which was fun, nonobstructive, and quick-paced it'd be a great addition to the formula.

I honestly find it crazy that P2 and Soul Hackers came out pretty close to each other. Soul Hackers has such superior combat to P2 you can't even really compare them.

PK Gaming

Linking to TVTropes is kind of fallacious. The existence of a specific trope does not indicate that such a trope is actually going to be used, and the writers of Ultimax have shown no indication that they intend to use it. Take at look at his character trailer. Calling everyone dogs, using a haughty, condescending tone, making jokes about their deaths and the deaths of others. They're not the kind of things that say "I'M SUDDENLY SORRY FOR EVERYTHING I DID I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE!!!" They're the kind that say he's probably going to go down with the sinking ship when it's time.

There's just no indication that he's going to do a heel face turn at all.

T-Idle6.gif

Easy there!!

I linked to TVTropes illustrate a point. There's a long history of scumbag villains making a heel-face turns. Calling people dogs and being a huge dick? Yeah, that doesn't exactly exempt a character from making a heel-face turn (there are villains that are even worse than Sho). You only have to look at a shonen to see the same kind of thing i'm talking about. It happens over and over and over again.

You say that there's no indication of Sho making a heel-face turn, but you're just as in the dark as I am. We don't have any motivation, backstory–nothing that explains his actions.

My guess? We're probably going sympathetic insight into his character. His heel-face change won't be as hyperbolic as your example, but it'll probably manifest along the lines of Sho helping the heroes to take down the Malevolent Entity. Or a heroic sacrifice. But he's not going to just down without redemption. It's not going to happen.

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
FF9 is i think one of the best if not the best FF in the entire series. 7 and 10 are amazing and definatly contend, but 9 has something they both are missing. Cant count the thousands of hours i played FF9 in my childhood

Sophia

You say that there's no indication of Sho making a heel-face turn, but you're just as in the dark as I am. We don't have any motivation, backstory–nothing that explains his actions.

My guess? We're probably going sympathetic insight into his character. His heel-face change won't be as hyperbolic as your example, but it'll probably manifest along the lines of Sho helping the heroes to take down the Malevolent Entity. Or a heroic sacrifice. But he's not going to just down without redemption. It's not going to happen.

Why not? Wouldn't be the first time in the franchise a character has gone down without redemption.

It's true we know nothing about his backstory, but you're not providing good reasoning as to why you think he's going to do a heel-face turn. On the other hand, I'm at least using the presented evidence judging from his personality in trailers and how the writers have handled previous antagonists. Of course, it could all be a red herring. But it would take some exceptional writing for Atlus to pull that off (of which I'll give them kudos should they do so.)

Top Bottom