• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
From the videos I've seen it's nowhere near the insanity of IIDX or DJ Max expert.

I would say that it's below Project Diva too seeing that it's not a random spew of button sequences on the screen.

Did you guys see that P4D pre-launch event? There was some guy who almost perfected a super hard song.
I had no idea what was going on but it looked really cool, the notes even disappeared and stuff.

cj_iwakura

Wait, are you talking about the PSP games or the Vita one?

The very first DJ MAX Portable. Portable 2 had an English language option that fully translated everything, even the missions. Shockingly well, too. This was also in Clazziquai and Black Square.

Clazziquai even had a dub voice when you switched for the missions. Never seen anything like it, probably never will again.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The very first DJ MAX Portable. Portable 2 had an English language option that fully translated everything, even the missions. Shockingly well, too. This was also in Clazziquai and Black Square.

Clazziquai even had a dub voice when you switched for the missions. Never seen anything like it, probably never will again.

Ah alright. I missed out on the PSP so I got into the DJ Max scene pretty late.

Busaiku

Project Diva's really hard cause there's so much going on the screen and the notes can appear anywhere.
From the looks of it, this seems much simpler, like DDR.

Hard is really unforgiving at first, you really can't mess up much. I'm just starting to play tracks on All Night and it doesn't seem as bad as the jump from Normal to Hard.

P4D isn't hard because of the incomprehensible spew of notes that games like Project Diva throw at you, it's hard because they give you so little margin of error. I've read that on the hardest difficulty, missing a mere 4 notes is enough to prevent you from passing, let alone getting a high rank. In that sense, it's sort of like some of the more devilish Ouendan songs that require dead-on precision to pass (like Believe in Ouendan 2 or Jumpin' Jack Flash in EBA).

FluxWaveZ

P4D isn't hard because of the incomprehensible spew of notes that games like Project Diva throw at you, it's hard because they give you so little margin of error. I've read that on the hardest difficulty, missing a mere 4 notes is enough to prevent you from passing, let alone getting a high rank. In that sense, it's sort of like some of the more devilish Ouendan songs that require dead-on precision to pass (like Believe in Ouendan 2 or Jumpin' Jack Flash in EBA).

Yep, and I prefer P4D's method of being difficult compared to Project Diva f's, which is pretty much about rushing to hit as many notes as possible on higher difficulties if you're just looking to pass. There's room for both, though. And modifiers are there in P4D to make the experience all that more interesting for a chance at getting an increased percentage of P$ and score at the end of the song.

Yep, and I prefer P4D's method of being difficult compared to Project Diva f's, which is pretty much about rushing to hit as many notes as possible on higher difficulties if you're just looking to pass. There's room for both, though. And modifiers are there in P4D to make the experience all that more interesting for a chance at getting an increased percentage of P$ and score at the end of the song.

That's why I've always preferred the Ouendan and Rhythm Heaven series over PD and Beatmania. They rely more on quick reflexes and good rhythmic skills rather than how much visual data you can process in a split second.

Lusankya

That's why I've always preferred the Ouendan and Rhythm Heaven series over PD and Beatmania. They rely more on quick reflexes and good rhythmic skills rather than how much visual data you can process in a split second.

Yeah, that's why Ouendan on easy is actually harder for me than on the hardest difficulty, because on easy you need to play by the eye and not by the ear.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, that's why Ouendan on easy is actually harder for me than on the hardest difficulty, because on easy you need to play by the eye and not by the ear.

I think this is also why I play P4D with the note speed on 7. The default speed of 4 is good, but I perform way better when the notes move quickly so I can interpret them better in rhythm with the music. The note speed of 1 is so sluggish that I feel like I need to pay attention to the notes way more than the music.

There's a modifier which is absolutely crazy (well, they kind of all are) that makes the notes move at an absurdly slow speed in a way that a whole bunch become stuck together on the screen. +10% score and +150% P$ for that one.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Modifiers affecting scores is pretty cool - not something I'm aware of other games doing. In DJ Max all the modifiers do is make it more humiliating when you lose to someone using them in a vs match.

How many can you put on at any time? Could you use all challenge modules or is it limited to 2/3 maximum?

FluxWaveZ

How many can you put on at any time? Could you use all challenge modules or is it limited to 2/3 maximum?

Any number you want as long as what they do don't contradict each other. Same for power ups. Items from the "Power Up" column (except for one) will reduce the percentage of your score and the P$ you get at the end of a song. "Game Settings" will do the opposite.

Any number of items from both columns can be selected to adjust the way you want to play, adjusting your score and P$ variable accordingly. I can set up 6 modifiers for a +40% score and +410% P$ bonus; I can set up all the power ups minus the one to get a -70% score and -150% penalty; or I can mix both for a -30% to score and +260% to P$.

Jintor

I think this is also why I play P4D with the note speed on 7. The default speed of 4 is good, but I perform way better when the notes move quickly so I can interpret them better in rhythm with the music. The note speed of 1 is so sluggish that I feel like I need to pay attention to the notes way more than the music.

There's a modifier which is absolutely crazy (well, they kind of all are) that makes the notes move at an absurdly slow speed in a way that a whole bunch become stuck together on the screen. +10% score and +150% P$ for that one.

how i change note speed

--R

Banned
It's DAN worth to import? I know a bit of Japanese and I love rhythm games, but I don't know if it's better to wait until it's out on USA. I can get the normal edition for 51€ and the Crazy Value for 70€.

Style

Banned
It's DAN worth to import? I know a bit of Japanese and I love rhythm games, but I don't know if it's better to wait until it's out on USA. I can get the normal edition for 51€ and the Crazy Value for 70€.

If you know Japanese I don't see why you shouldn't. Although I'd recommend to get it digitally instead and wait for the localization to pick it up physically.

--R

Banned
If you know Japanese I don't see why you shouldn't. Although I'd recommend to get it digitally instead and wait for the localization to pick it up physically.

It's cheaper than import it, not bad. I'll probably do it, thanks.

Edit: I guess I can't use my actual credit card and I have to buy prepaid cards, can I?

how i change note speed

cKbTkpC.jpg

Custom

Second option

The bar with the 5 by it is the one that changes speed.

Theodoricos

Been listening to the P4D soundtrack, and man, the remixes of Reasoning, Who's There and Borderline of Madness are all amazing.

I imagine that you can't actually dance to any of these songs of course, but rather they play during the game's story.

Jintor

I think I need a mechanics guide, I kind of have no idea what's determining my score and I've Not Cleared this Hard Mode song over and over nao

I think I need a mechanics guide, I kind of have no idea what's determining my score and I've Not Cleared this Hard Mode song over and over nao

Combo seems to be the main factor that determines score. In order to clear a song, you need to end it with the indicators at the top being at least green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom