• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

It's good to know I have this option.

Thanks for the input guys.

I will probably end up making the decision based whether I'm more in the mood for a console experience or a portable experience. Also, I'm squarely in the middle on Xenoblade right now, so all of this is kind of moot.

To re-frame this slightly, is Persona 3 a good place to start with the series? Or is there a different title that would serve as a better gateway?

P3 is great starting point.

To re-frame this slightly, is Persona 3 a good place to start with the series? Or is there a different title that would serve as a better gateway?

Yeah, P2 and P1 can be skipped.

Just a few things:
  • There are some very minor references to Persona 2 in Persona 3
  • Persona 4 has a very huge reference to Persona 3
  • The female route in Persona 3 Portable references Persona 4 once.
If you're looking at gameplay the only wierd choice to make would be playing P4G and then P3:FES. The gameplay in FES is really outdated compared to Golden.

I think it's awful. I don't want to cast aspersions on opinions, but looking at that list, it's truly hard for me to believe they are actually aware of the characters in the Persona series as a whole. They could have just made it about the P3/P4 cast.

I loved the Maya in place 10 because they wanted to add more credibility to the list.

youjpg-fb47a1.jpg

Testuya. Testuya. Testuya

RIP FemC, gone and forgotten.

PK Gaming

I think it's awful. I don't want to cast aspersions on opinions, but looking at that list, it's truly hard for me to believe they are actually aware of the characters in the Persona series as a whole. They could have just made it about the P3/P4 cast.

I mean they didn't have Naoto anywhere so +1
They had Junpei so +7
Kanji's super high up so +17
Maya got her dues so +8

I mean you're right (tbh most of my list would mostly be comprised of P2 characters, lol) but overall I think it's alright.

Zolo

That list is awful with the most basic of character descriptions that make it sound like the person/staff looked up info instead of playing the games.

Also, Maya should also be counted under "you". If using the same metric, Tatsuya should also count as his own character.

Edit: Oh. It's a fan vote. I guess that makes more sense?

The list was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, but I was just happy that they made it in the first place. It's just a fluff piece, sure, but it's another mention of Persona and the strength of its characters on a website as big as IGN, so I think it's a net win.

I don't think this was a "fan vote," but an IGN vote by the "biggest Persona fans" on their staff.

Then they sure aren't fans. Seriously, where the fuck is any other representation from P1 and 2? This seems to be a bunch of bandwagon jumpers who haven't played anything else other then P3 or 4. Besides, where's FeMC?

I don't think this was a "fan vote," but an IGN vote by the "biggest Persona fans" on their staff.

Yeah, I doubt Maya would even come close to the top 10 when it's a fan vote.

Then they sure aren't fans.Seriously, where the fuck is any other representation from P1 and 2? This seems to be a bunch of bandwagon jumpers who haven't played anything else other then P3 or 4. Besides, where's FeMC?

The salt is real

Zolo

Then they sure aren't fans. Seriously, where the fuck is any other representation from P1 and 2? This seems to be a bunch of bandwagon jumpers who haven't played anything else other then P3 or 4. Besides, where's FeMC?

At least FeMC can kinda be counted along with Makoto as the P3 protagonist. Literally nobody gets shafted as being a protagonist more than Maya does......apparently, to the point, that people don't realize at all she was in fact a protagonist of a Persona game.

Edit: Reread Maya description. lol @ 'appears' in Eternal Punishment.

DNAbro

there is a reason "persona started at 3" is a meme

still haven't played 1 and 2

So IGN just posted a list comprising of their top 10 Persona characters and it's pretty alright

I have no way of NOT showing my bias towards the characters i like so i won't go into what i disagree on the list, but they did a poor job of explaining why the characters were chosen. The descriptions are awfully bland for describing what makes a character who they are.

It's just an IGN list. Lets not get into semantics over what makes a fan or not

Zolo

It's weird because it comes off as a P3/P4 list where the people voting hadn't even played Persona 1/2:IS/EP. They don't even count Maya as a protagonist and has her as "appearing" in EP. Tatsuya's also counted under "you" as not saying much....but that's not the case in EP.

Just reminds me of this. lol

I actually feel like this would come off funnier if it simply said 'Persona 2: Innocent Sin'. =p

FluxWaveZ

I would usually agree with this and I still do here, to some extent, but I think it's problematic to create list as though they are recognizing the series as a whole when that's clearly not the case. As a celebration of all the consistently great characters the Persona series has gotten, this is pretty poor.

And, if I'm wrong and they actually did fully consider the P1 and P2 characters, I would have wanted them to acknowledge how little they are represented in the list and explain why. The "Persona started at P3" meme is humorous, but it's rather disheartening to see just how true it seems to have become. My first was P3FES and then I went to P4, but I still visited the previous games later on and discovered how great the P2 cast was, making me like them more than P4's cast.

They could have just been earnest and put "Top 10 Persona 3 and 4 Characters" and it would have been cool.

PK Gaming

I have no way of NOT showing my bias towards the characters i like so i won't go into what i disagree on the list, but they did a poor job of explaining why the characters were chosen. The descriptions are awfully bland for describing what makes a character who they are.

Yeah the descriptions come across as poor and (cringeworthy even). In retrospect I realize that it's a pretty flawed list, but I guess I got excited for the reasons Cannon_Fodder outlined.

Awful list. Junpei is goddamn shit character and why is he there and not Yosuke(brosuke)??

srsly I just can't stand Junpei lol.

I like Junpei more then Yosuke honestly. He had a satisfying little journey as a character through P3 and has the nice plus of not being a homophobic dick to my favourite P4 character lol

Makio

RIP FemC, gone and forgotten]

I dont see the problem . they are using main protagonist of the main games (no remakes , no spinoff , no add storylines like the answer).

And the other main MC already have her spot (Maya).

With Teddie (maybe one of the worst characers in the series) in the list , the list is a joke , and Akihiko over Yukari hahahaha god damn.

People bitching about the p4 killer dont be in the list , because they are going to put that kind of spoiler in a video can watch people new to the series.

FluxWaveZ

My top 10 would probably have 1 or 2 P4 characters. Most would be P2.

Now that we can spoiler tag pictures, how does that apply to the spoiler rule in this thread for Persona 5?

Sophia

My top 10 would probably have 1 or 2 P4 characters. Most would be P2.

Now that we can spoiler tag pictures, how does that apply to the spoiler rule in this thread for Persona 5?

Essentially, nothing is different. An image embeded behind a spoiler tag is effectively the same as a linked image. As long as it's clearly marked and the user has to click on it to see it, there should be no issue. To give you an idea...

This is a unacceptable use of the spoiler tag:

This, on the other hand, is perfectly fine:

Aigis P5 Event image:
aigis10qag.png

PK Gaming

I'm sorry for bringing in that IGN list, I must atone for my sins. To make it up to you guys, i'll post my top 10 favorite characters for Persona:

1) Yu Narukami
2) Yosuke
3) Makoto Yuki
4) Adachi
5) Teddie
6) Sho Minazuki
7) FeMC
8) Tatsuya
9) Maya Aigis
10) Naoya (P1MC)

I think it's a pretty reasonable list, tbh

cj_iwakura

Well if we're going there...

1. Maya
2. Eriko / Elly (especially the P1 version)
3. Shinjiro
4. Yukari
5. Kanji
6. Akihiko
7. Yukiko
8. Baofu
9. Katsuya
10. Takaya

DNAbro

1. Kanji
2. Dojima
3. Junpei
4. Aigis
5. Yu
6. Naoto
7. Yosuke
8. Chie
9. Mitsuru
10. Labrys

Top 3 came to me immediately.

Also we are going to need to think of a new thread title asap

I really wish I could still stomach random battles. I've torn through P3/4 replays this year and I'm finishing up the Arena games for the first time now, and I'd love to go back and play the earlier games (at least P2) for the first time, but over the years I've developed an aggressive distaste for random encounters that I just can't get past anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom